Follow

Steampunk

Concept » Steampunk appears in 402 issues.

A sub-genre of science fiction that melds science fiction and fantasy. Mostly deals with alternate worlds, where steam technology meets futuristic technologies.

Da heck is STEAMPUNK?

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
    MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Da heck is STEAMPUNK? (18 votes)

Just a fashion statement 6%
    A genre of fiction 17%
    An aesthetic that can be applied to anything 50%
    A way of life 6%
    Yea, what is Steampunk anyway? 22%

I like the concept of it and yet, when I try to describe it to someone who's never heard of it they look at me with this confusion I wish I could overcome. Is Steampunk a dead end of an idea, or what? Where do you see it now, and where could it go?

~OR~

Should it go nowhere and just be an interesting distraction we move on from?

• 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

I look at it the same way I look at Goth's....at some point in their future they're going to look in the mirror and realize that they look like huge a$$holes and wonder why they didn't listen to their parents better

MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MyNameWasDeleted
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Doc Ock, IronMan w/Tony Stark, Deadpool- all done in Steampunk... I would like more accessible steampunk stuff

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@danhimself said:

I look at it the same way I look at Goth's....at some point in their future they're going to look in the mirror and realize that they look like huge a$$holes and wonder why they didn't listen to their parents better

I love you.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

Ah I see. Because everyone who dresses in a certain way is the same. Noted.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By w0nd

I've only seen it in media lol. Never seen anyone dress this way though

MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

I love you.

I guess you guys are referring to the people that dress up, but aside from that- there's money to be made, and enjoyment for those that are into it. How would you 'fix' it, or is it best to ignore it so it goes away (in your opinions)?

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mynamewasdeleted said:

@sideburnguru said:

@danhimself said:

I love you.

I guess you guys are referring to the people that dress up, but aside from that- there's money to be made, and enjoyment for those that are into it. How would you 'fix' it, or is it best to ignore it so it goes away (in your opinions)?

The people who create things off it can be creative, and I don't really know what you mean by fix. I agree with him about the people who dress up with it though. I'd say the goths are more annoying in a sense, or the "scene" kids. At least Steampunk leans toward the creative side.

As said, really don't know what you mean by fix. The creations are pretty cool, the vehicles they make can REALLY be awesome, the action figures you've shown are nice.

MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@danhimself said:

whats that you say? you want pictures? .. m'kay..

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@bumpyboo said:

@danhimself said:

Ah I see. Because everyone who dresses in a certain way is the same. Noted.

You get that a lot on Comic Vine

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Uh huh. Like anything even remotely dark or indie and you are automatically trying to be cool and prove something. Can't a girl just like spikes and weirdness? Does it have to be a statement? :O

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@danhimself said:

whats that you say? you want pictures? .. m'kay..

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

T*TS OR GTFO!

at work so of course i just minimized and moved to the bottom corner of the screen and scrolled on through carefully

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mynamewasdeleted said:

@sideburnguru said:

@danhimself said:

I love you.

The people who create things off it can be creative, and I don't really know what you mean by fix. I agree with him about the people who dress up with it though. I'd say the goths are more annoying in a sense, or the "scene" kids. At least Steampunk leans toward the creative side.

As said, really don't know what you mean by fix. The creations are pretty cool, the vehicles they make can REALLY be awesome, the action figures you've shown are nice.

yup...pretty much....I'm sorry if I offend someone but I really do believe that the people who dress goth or steampunk on a regular basis are just crying for attention

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tbh its differnt for each person. I would best describe steampunk as a subculture/genre, it phases into music, gaming, fashion, comics, films, novels. Its a commnity its a style, its a theme. Its all of thosse and its really cool. And to thosse who don't like it just dint wear/read/listen/watch to things that involve it. Just because we like differnt things doesnt make us idiots or assholes. Same is applied to goth and scene. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its wrong.

MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and some fellas in 'costume'...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

...and INK (that's commitment).

@sideburnguru: found those action figures at http://packratstudios.blogspot.com/ , and yes I agree (i had a hard time finding images that weren't with guns and crazy stuff from cosplay or conventions) some folks can take it too far- but the motorcycles and guitars and such are awesome!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to be clear here....it's one thing if you're dressing up and going to a convention...I think that's fine....but if you're dressing up in steampunk stuff to go to wal-mart for milk then you've probably got some issues

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mynamewasdeleted: See, those second batch of pictures looked completely ridiculous. The motorcycles are always awesome. It's hard to make a motorcycle suck.

@danhimself:

I guess the conventions are fine. Definitely hate the "scene" kids and the gothic kids more.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

@jonny_anonymous: Uh huh. Like anything even remotely dark or indie and you are automatically trying to be cool and prove something. Can't a girl just like spikes and weirdness? Does it have to be a statement? :O

Yea or god forbid you may like different music because then your just a hipster (word has lost all meaning by now) because we all know hipsters are evil

MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to be clear here....it's one thing if you're dressing up and going to a convention...I think that's fine....but if you're dressing up in steampunk stuff to go to wal-mart for milk then you've probably got some issues

well, but what if you leave your goggles and homemade gun at home and you ride your

No Caption Provided

steampunky motorcycle with your

No Caption Provided

steampunky stormtrooper helmet?

You can't possibly have an issue with that- can you?

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: But posers exist across the board. All genres have them, all forms of media. That is what annoys me. If you like working out and wrestling, you're a jock or a meathead. Expect to be patronised. Enjoy following fashion and like pop music? Brainwashed. Like indie? Hipster. Folk? You're a hippie. Punk? Well then expect security to follow you all around the store. If you're fat then you must be lazy, if you're a man you're insensitive and since this is a passionate rant and I am a woman....I must be hysterical.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

@jonny_anonymous: But posers exist across the board. All genres have them, all forms of media. That is what annoys me. If you like working out and wrestling, you're a jock or a meathead. Expect to be patronised. Enjoy following fashion and like pop music? Brainwashed. Like indie? Hipster. Folk? You're a hippie. Punk? Well then expect security to follow you all around the store. If you're fat then you must be lazy, if you're a man you're insensitive and since this is a passionate rant and I am a woman....I must be hysterical.

Well that does it, the only thing that can be done is we need to all stop liking things and become bland automatons

MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MyNameWasDeleted
    Loading Video...

I think the guys can look just as great as the girls- like in this video (it's sort of a post apocalyptic steampunk mash up)

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BumpyBoo

@jonny_anonymous: Damn right. And if we can't stop being different then we should at least conform to other people's preconceived notions of us. How dare we.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@bumpyboo said:

@jonny_anonymous: Damn right. And if we can't stop being different then we should at least conform to other people's preconceived notions of us. How dare we.

we should be ashamed of our selves. I submit my self to the village elders for stoning.

MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

It's a pretty neat looking aesthetic.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26 SC  Moderator

Steampunk is awesome! When I was younger I didn't like it funnily enough, it seemed backwards and bland, and dull and boring. I mean why have antiquated grey, brown, steel mechanical designs and objects when you could have futuristic neon laser things from the future, or albino vampiric cavemen from thousands of years ago. As I grew older I started to really appreciate the subtlety one could apply with steampunk, and how you could incorporate history into altering reality to envision advanced technology into earlier periods. Its like a test of imagination and knowledge in incorporating fantasy into history and trying to ground it with a certain illusion of practicality. Brown leather and stripes and frills and well to be honest in recent years steampunk has sort of exploded in such a way its hard to categorize and define so easily.

Anyway personally I have a fondness for Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and plenty of artistic intricacy and detail and customization and patterns, giant airships, overly decorated guns and uniforms, so steampunk is right up my ally. Its cool too that a number of Marvel and DC characters have both official and fan art where the characters were re-imagined in a steampunk style. Lady Mechanika is also one of my favorite examples as well. Oh and Korra is pretty popular.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

As far as its future? Well I think its going to continue to redefine itself like most things, and also bleed into other things as all things tend to do, resulting in its own little subdivisions. Like we don't just have superhero comics, we have high concept superhero comics, alt reality super hero comics, detective superhero comics, action superhero comics, blockbuster, horror, parody, monster, fantasy, sci fi, and most of those overlap too. So I look forward to steampunk horror, and just seeing it expand to include a bigger time period too. Marvel and DC has a lot of time displaced and alt reality characters too, I am sure eventually both will have a steampunk type character running around, they will probably be seen as gimmicky at first - but my fingers will be crossed that they will be awesome. Plus I would love for a book like Exiles have them visit a Marvel steampunk world. Oh and actually I think Astonishing X-Men actually had an arc like that and it was awesome.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I think that's fine....but if you're dressing up in steampunk stuff to go to wal-mart for milk then you've probably got some issues

I feel the same way about people who wear pants in public. Its all like "Ooh look at me, I can cover my gams with fabric and material, I have decency, I have pants, I am covering my sexual organs and legs, ooh I am so fancy with my fancy pants, I am a big boy with big boy pants on, ooh, I am so different and hip and civilized" I mean jeez talk about trying to hard. Talk about crying for attention and not breaking the law. Pfft. Amirite? =p

Heh heh lets not kid ourselves the only reason someone doesn't want to go get milk and bread from the store dressed in brown leather, multi-lensed gun metal goggles, striped silk white shirt and a helicopter jetpack is because its way too much hassle, not because it looks daft. Looking daft and like an idiot for simple and trivial things is one of life's greatest guilty pleasures. =D

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scsaid:

I feel the same way about people who wear pants in public. Its all like "Ooh look at me, I can cover my gams with fabric and material, I have decency, I have pants, I am covering my sexual organs and legs, ooh I am so fancy with my fancy pants, I am a big boy with big boy pants on, ooh, I am so different and hip and civilized" I mean jeez talk about trying to hard. Talk about crying for attention and not breaking the law. Pfft. Amirite? =p

Hehehe! Love this post ^____^

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28  Edited By SC  Moderator

Heh heh thanks Bumpyboo.

Have you read Lady Mechanika by the way? Its a pretty cool steampunk comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.