Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

Does static have any

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flameboy298

Does static have any good stories?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The original run of Static is fantastic. He was pretty instrumental in all the old Milestone crossovers too. He also shows up in Icon as a friend of Rocket's from time to time, but he's usually just drive-by comic relief and not integral to the plot. The new 52 Static Shock book was...sad. I expected much more considering it was being written by the guy who made Xombi, but then we kind of got an explanation of that after the fact.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By flameboy298

@fodigg: I didn't realize Static Shock new 52 was cancelled that is very disappointing to hear...Explains alot..I guess he'll remain a D-List Hero for now

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fodigg

@flameboy298 said:

@fodigg: I didn't realize Static Shock new 52 was cancelled that is very disappointing to hear...Explains alot..I guess he'll remain a D-List Hero for now

It was for the best. I had very high expectations for the series but it just didn't seem to be going anywhere. They started throwing crazy cliffhangers, dangling plots, and—my personal pet peeve—random new powers that weren't necessary or well explained. I liked the art though. Gave me that old Nightwing vibe I've been missing.

The series wasn't totally irredeemable—I liked the setup at STAR Labs and the involvement of Hardware as a sort of mentor, but some of the dialogue was so, I dunno, ugh. Presenting Virgil Hawkins as a guy who would walk up to a gang member and talk his way into their good graces because he's got "history with gangs" or something is totally missing the point/origin of the character. Being at the Big Bang does not make Virgil Hawkins the stereotypical "gang banger" archetype. In fact, he is anything but. That scene was when I was like "okay, this can go ahead and get canceled."

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flameboy298

@fodigg: Yeah...from What i heard Static has been used badley over the years..He has so much potential.If Dwayne McDuffie was still alive he probably would of been salvaged by now..I guess i'll just read his original runs then before I take a small glimpse at the failed new 52

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fodigg

@fodigg: Yeah...from What i heard Static has been used badley over the years..He has so much potential.If Dwayne McDuffie was still alive he probably would of been salvaged by now..I guess i'll just read his original runs then before I take a small glimpse at the failed new 52

Whoa, that was a weird double-post. Is @flashrobin an alt or something?

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BlackWind

I definitely wouldn't say D list. He's a fan favorite who just isn't treated properly. Give him a good writer and I guarantee he'll jump off. Why is he not associating with more "popular" heroes? Throw him into Red Robin's crowd, he needs the spotlight. Static has plenty to offer.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fodigg

@flameboy298 said:

@fodigg: No.Why?

It popped up really weird in my feed. The exact same reply from two different accounts, then one deleted. With CV's upgrades I was wondering if it was multiple logins or a site error. Concerned to see it's the latter. If CV is attributing posts incorrectly to different users by copying them across multiple accounts, that's not good at all.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@blackwind: Actually Scott Lobdell said he really wanted to add Static to the Titans roster but he couldn't because of some sort of "legal issues".

As for his best run, the original Milestone comics were the best stories of Static, hands down. I was also interested in the older Teen Titans crossover where they all took on Holocaust. The new 52 however, the less said about that POS the better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.