Proof that Starfire has a spine and isn't sexualized.

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for sethysquare
#1 Edited by sethysquare (3965 posts) - - Show Bio
Click to check out this gif
Click to check out this gif
No Caption Provided

The first gif is a scene in the little mermaid where its a show for little girls and it showed Ariel playing around and having fun. I don't see how different it is to what Starfire did in issue 1.

Avatar image for sethysquare
#2 Posted by sethysquare (3965 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for billy_batson
#3 Posted by Billy Batson (60824 posts) - - Show Bio

Or maybe Ariel doesn't have a spine and is sexualized? Hmmm?
BB

Avatar image for sethysquare
#4 Posted by sethysquare (3965 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Or maybe Ariel doesn't have a spine and is sexualized? Hmmm?
BB

for a tv show for little kids?

hmmm?

Avatar image for the_tree
#5 Posted by the_tree (8456 posts) - - Show Bio

This was necessary.

Avatar image for mk111
#6 Posted by mk111 (3148 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh mah goodness! I can see skin!

Avatar image for joygirl
#7 Posted by Joygirl (21036 posts) - - Show Bio

*fapfapfapfapfap*

Avatar image for renchamp
#8 Posted by Renchamp (7777 posts) - - Show Bio

To set the record straight: That scene from the Little Mermaid is not her having fun, but swimming for her life. She has no pants on and the artists that worked on that movie had no problem including little sexual tidbits (like the priest's boner). You can't tell me that the arched back is necessary in that shot. All you are proving is that we men are pigs and artists know how to pander to us, kids show or comic book.

Moderator
Avatar image for agent9149
#9 Posted by Agent9149 (3627 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

No Caption Provided

The one on the left is sexually exploitive and the one on the right isn't. Why? The one on the left shows the person in a position that show off her body in a forwarding way. She is also on a beach that is warm and invited and many times associated with pleasurable sex. Also her face is warm and inviting. The viewer gets the sense that she is here for her enjoyment. The man on the left isn't in a position that shows off his body in a forwarding way but rather is withdrawn. Also he is in a communal shower, that environment is neither warm or inviting. It is a negative space and is associated with male on male rape. His face shows no sign of amiable feelings and is with drawn. The guys in the back look at him with malice and disdain given an air of confrontation and also him power.

It takes more than a naked body to show sexual exploitative. In fact you can sexually exploit someone who is fully clothed and showing nothing. For that motivational poster to work, then a sexually exploitive picture of the man should have been used.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
#10 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15334 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

No Caption Provided

Amen sir

Avatar image for joshmightbe
#11 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective: I do consider the furry fat guy in the back in bad taste

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
#12 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15334 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: but that's not all, in Red hood and the Outlaws issue 6, Jason was naked for most of the issue. Did someone b!tch? No.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
@DarkKnightDetective said:

@joshmightbe: but that's not all, in Red hood and the Outlaws issue 6, Jason was naked for most of the issue. Did someone b!tch? No.

nobody complained about the hawkblocking in Hawkeye ether 
Avatar image for GunGunW
#14 Posted by GunGunW (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

@Renchamp: You can't speak on behalf of all men.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#15 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (17996 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

*fapfapfapfapfap*

......girls cant fap......or can they?

fapfapfapfap

Avatar image for knightrise
#16 Posted by KnightRise (4811 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Joygirl said:

*fapfapfapfapfap*

......girls cant fap......or can they?

fapfapfapfap

girls *shlickshlickshlick*

Avatar image for god_spawn
#17 Posted by God_Spawn (43097 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Joygirl said:

*fapfapfapfapfap*

......girls cant fap......or can they?

fapfapfapfap

girls *shlickshlickshlick*

ROFL.

Moderator
Avatar image for thecrowbar
#18 Posted by TheCrowbar (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread went place...funny and bad places.

Avatar image for zeello
#19 Posted by ZEELLO (233 posts) - - Show Bio

by the way how is being sexualized mean you dont have a spine? I thought it was obvious from the beginning that Starfire has a spine or at least thats the impression I got. She is after all the most powerful of the 3.

Avatar image for innervenom123
#20 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29886 posts) - - Show Bio

You realize Starfire posed like that more than once in the first issue of RHATO right?

Not that it even matters. Apparently her portrayal has gotten a lot better over time.

This thread was relevant like a year ago I guess.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#21 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (17996 posts) - - Show Bio

That movie gave me a boner as a kid so.....im not sure if it really proves anything.

Avatar image for wessaari
#22 Posted by wessaari (752 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

You realize Starfire posed like that more than once in the first issue of RHATO right?

Not that it even matters. Apparently her portrayal has gotten a lot better over time.

This thread was relevant like a year ago I guess.

you would be surprised how many people still talk about it and are still ripping Lobdell a new one for "ruining Starfire". Bleeding Cool posted an article basically saying "Tynion is taking over RHTO, Starfire fans can rejoice"

Avatar image for sunman
#23 Posted by SUNMAN (8588 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Joygirl said:

*fapfapfapfapfap*

......girls cant fap......or can they?

fapfapfapfap

girls *shlickshlickshlick*

lmao!

Avatar image for cerealkiller
#24 Posted by CerealKiller (169 posts) - - Show Bio

comics basically treat every character as sexy. Its a fantasy. As if there was a chance every person who saved the world would be so stunningly attractive, but we all know it's not meant to be realistic, it's meant to be fun.

I like that the women are sexy, as a girl i don't look at them in a 'daaayum i would tap that' kind of way, but more as a ' daaayum i wish i could be a hot space babe' kind of way. Obviously i wouldn't wear a purple bikini and thigh high boots in real life because that ridiculous, but comic books are ridiculous! Fun, entertaining ridiculousness.

i think guys are sexualised too, but just in a different way from the girls. Pretty much all the guys are drawn in skintight latex with adonis like bodies.

People complained about starfire being half naked in the first issue just so guys could drool over her, well i'm just saying that jason was all but completely naked in the flashback issue and ill be damned if i didn't appreciate that. Doesn't mean his character doesn't have any depth though!

i'm not the best debater, i don't even know if my points even make a good point, i'm just saying i support sexy characters being sexy no mater what their gender. I support equal opportunity sexiness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
#25 Posted by deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@CerealKiller said:

comics basically treat every character as sexy. Its a fantasy. As if there was a chance every person who saved the world would be so stunningly attractive, but we all know it's not meant to be realistic, it's meant to be fun.

I like that the women are sexy, as a girl i don't look at them in a 'daaayum i would tap that' kind of way, but more as a ' daaayum i wish i could be a hot space babe' kind of way. Obviously i wouldn't wear a purple bikini and thigh high boots in real life because that ridiculous, but comic books are ridiculous! Fun, entertaining ridiculousness.

i think guys are sexualised too, but just in a different way from the girls. Pretty much all the guys are drawn in skintight latex with adonis like bodies.

People complained about starfire being half naked in the first issue just so guys could drool over her, well i'm just saying that jason was all but completely naked in the flashback issue and ill be damned if i didn't appreciate that. Doesn't mean his character doesn't have any depth though!

i'm not the best debater, i don't even know if my points even make a good point, i'm just saying i support sexy characters being sexy no mater what their gender. I support equal opportunity sexiness.

All of this.

Avatar image for joygirl
#26 Posted by Joygirl (21036 posts) - - Show Bio

World needs more people like CerealKiller. *schlickschlickschlick* (am i doin it rite?)

Avatar image for lykopis
#27 Posted by lykopis (10845 posts) - - Show Bio

I could have sworn it was 2013 and not 2011. Oh well.

Avatar image for atphantom
#28 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just gonna leave this here:

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for onemoreposter
#29 Posted by Onemoreposter (4365 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

That movie gave me a boner as a kid so.....im not sure if it really proves anything.

Yeeeehp.

If you think there's nothing sexual about a cartoon just because it's made by Disney, you are mistaken.

Avatar image for mercy_
#30 Posted by Mercy_ (94916 posts) - - Show Bio

This sgain?

Avatar image for billy_batson
#31 Posted by Billy Batson (60824 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

I'm just gonna leave this here:

No Caption Provided

So that's why they made Dick Batman...
BB

Avatar image for magian
#32 Posted by Magian (151498 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Joygirl said:

*fapfapfapfapfap*

......girls cant fap......or can they?

fapfapfapfap

girls *shlickshlickshlick*

LMAO

Avatar image for blackwind
#33 Posted by BlackWind (9790 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. Just lol.

The book still isn't amazing.

Avatar image for twentyfive
#34 Posted by Twentyfive (3057 posts) - - Show Bio

You people are cracking me up!

Avatar image for sethysquare
#35 Posted by sethysquare (3965 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

@sethysquare said:

No Caption Provided

The one on the left is sexually exploitive and the one on the right isn't. Why? The one on the left shows the person in a position that show off her body in a forwarding way. She is also on a beach that is warm and invited and many times associated with pleasurable sex. Also her face is warm and inviting. The viewer gets the sense that she is here for her enjoyment. The man on the left isn't in a position that shows off his body in a forwarding way but rather is withdrawn. Also he is in a communal shower, that environment is neither warm or inviting. It is a negative space and is associated with male on male rape. His face shows no sign of amiable feelings and is with drawn. The guys in the back look at him with malice and disdain given an air of confrontation and also him power.

It takes more than a naked body to show sexual exploitative. In fact you can sexually exploit someone who is fully clothed and showing nothing. For that motivational poster to work, then a sexually exploitive picture of the man should have been used.

Yup the word up there describes you.

Hypocrisy.

The one on the left shows the person in a position that show off her body in a forwarding way.

Oh, so a post of Jason almost taking his towel in a seductive way is not explotive.

She is also on a beach that is warm and invited and many times associated with pleasurable sex.

Oh, so the communal bathroom with hot naked men isn't associated with sex.

Also her face is warm and inviting.

So you're saying Jason's face in that shot isn't like those shots CK models would take.

The viewer gets the sense that she is here for her enjoyment.

A warm steamy shower isn't?

The man on the left isn't in a position that shows off his body in a forwarding way but rather is withdrawn.

Yet he has a short towel with a slit all the way up to almost his groin and also, since when are we taking about the man on the left.

Also he is in a communal shower, that environment is neither warm or inviting.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Go watch teen wolf.

It is a negative space and is associated with male on male rape.

And male on male action is many female's fantasy. Go check tumblr and you'll see naked or sexual photos of tim/jason, dick/jason, tim/kon. jason/roy, dick/tim, bruce/dick. Just go visit tumblr.

His face shows no sign of amiable feelings and is with drawn.

All I see is confident and full of sexual energy.

The guys in the back look at him with malice and disdain given an air of confrontation and also him power.

Please, he looks exactly like he saw jason's member and is green with envy and was a little upset. And again, since when are we talking about the person behind.

In short, I believe this word describes you.

HYPOCRISY

Avatar image for sethysquare
#36 Posted by sethysquare (3965 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

This is another picture to show that Red Hood and the Outlaw fans will unite and support our favourite characters all the way.

Avatar image for dmc
#37 Posted by DMC (2006 posts) - - Show Bio

so you narrow your proof that Starfire isn't sexualized relies on ONE FRAME?

How convenient that you selected one of the tamer ones.

Why don't you take everything from that issue into account and try again.

Avatar image for gravitypress
#38 Posted by gravitypress (2102 posts) - - Show Bio

All media is sexualized. Get used to it.

Avatar image for zeello
#39 Posted by ZEELLO (233 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

No Caption Provided

This is another picture to show that Red Hood and the Outlaw fans will unite and support our favourite characters all the way.

That pic is totally awesome, who made it?

Avatar image for sethysquare
#40 Posted by sethysquare (3965 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO said:

@sethysquare said:

No Caption Provided

This is another picture to show that Red Hood and the Outlaw fans will unite and support our favourite characters all the way.

That pic is totally awesome, who made it?

i have really no idea. I took it from our red hood and the outlaws facebook fan page

Avatar image for zeello
#41 Edited by ZEELLO (233 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

No Caption Provided

@ZEELLO said:

@sethysquare said:

This is another picture to show that Red Hood and the Outlaw fans will unite and support our favourite characters all the way.

That pic is totally awesome, who made it?

i have really no idea. I took it from our red hood and the outlaws facebook fan page

ok, just now I did a search for "rickem red hood outlaws" and the pic came up. (even though the name turns out to be ricken) Thank goodness. xD

http://ricken-art.tumblr.com/

Avatar image for sethysquare
#42 Posted by sethysquare (3965 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO said:

@sethysquare said:

No Caption Provided

@ZEELLO said:

@sethysquare said:

This is another picture to show that Red Hood and the Outlaw fans will unite and support our favourite characters all the way.

That pic is totally awesome, who made it?

i have really no idea. I took it from our red hood and the outlaws facebook fan page

ok, just now I did a search for "rickem red hood outlaws" and the pic came up. (even though the name turns out to be ricken) Thank goodness. xD

http://ricken-art.tumblr.com/

wow. i wish he is taking over outlaws instead.

Avatar image for zeello
#43 Posted by ZEELLO (233 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

I'm just gonna leave this here:

No Caption Provided

I realized something the other day. Technically her idea already exists and it's called anime/manga.

Am I wrong? x)

Avatar image for akbogert
#44 Edited by akbogert (3323 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO: While I think that'd be a gross oversimplification of anime and manga (actually, an absolutely terrible one), it is true that there's a lot more female fanservice going on in manga than in the majority of American comics. That said, there's plenty more female objectification in Japanese media, so when taken on the whole I don't think it's any more balanced.

As has already been established, Ariel (and mermaids in general): definitely sexual. No doubt whatsoever that Starfire is too. The key, at least for me, is that she's also an interesting character. I've never read her pre-New 52, so I can understand that people are upset if Lobdell's characterization (forget the art for a moment) is really a huge butchery of what made them like her. But speaking as one who knew nothing about the character before reading RHatO, I think she's been treated with a decent amount of respect since the first issue, and I don't think the sexualization undermines her value as a powerful character. She reminds me, if only slightly, of Dr. Manhattan, in her indifference to human customs. Do I think that's the real reason for how exploitatively she's drawn? Nope. But the fact that there's a secondary, legitimate explanation for it, coupled with the growth she has experienced over the past year, makes me really not care.

TL;DR version: Starfire is absolutely sexualized. And that's okay.

Avatar image for zeello
#45 Edited by ZEELLO (233 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't saying anime/manga objectifies men, necessarily, just that the men are overwhelmingly likely to have "large intense eyes" and "kissable lips" and builds that are "more lean" compared to western comics. If Batman was an manga series, I reckon he might actually fit that cartoon strip's interpretation and he would look younger.

No Caption Provided

Yea the left is one example of what Bruce Wayne probably would look like in a Batman manga.

oh man that would be so awsum

p.s. ricken-art has a DA: http://ricken-art.deviantart.com and apparently it's a she not a he.

Avatar image for akbogert
#46 Posted by akbogert (3323 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO: Ah, fair enough. I still don't think female readers should have to jump culture/style in order to find male characters that appeal to them, but I also don't think you were saying they should have to, so... *shrug*

Also, WOW, Ricken has some fantastic stuff. Side note: she's Japanese. Somehow seems relevant to the aforementioned.

Avatar image for zeeguy91
#47 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1625 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

The one on the left is sexually exploitive and the one on the right isn't. Why? The one on the left shows the person in a position that show off her body in a forwarding way. She is also on a beach that is warm and invited and many times associated with pleasurable sex. Also her face is warm and inviting. The viewer gets the sense that she is here for her enjoyment. The man on the left isn't in a position that shows off his body in a forwarding way but rather is withdrawn. Also he is in a communal shower, that environment is neither warm or inviting. It is a negative space and is associated with male on male rape. His face shows no sign of amiable feelings and is with drawn. The guys in the back look at him with malice and disdain given an air of confrontation and also him power.

It takes more than a naked body to show sexual exploitative. In fact you can sexually exploit someone who is fully clothed and showing nothing. For that motivational poster to work, then a sexually exploitive picture of the man should have been used.

That is a completely biased argument. For one, there are several instances where a man has been portrayed on a beach in a warm and inviting nature with little to no clothing. Is that deemed sexist? No, because there is a completely sexist notion that women should be the more modest gender. Also, they are making the exact same face in those two pictures. So how is one giving off a sex vibe while the other isn't? Furthermore, a shower is a scene that is definitely associated with fetishizing of the subject to viewers of the opposite sex, even if it is a communal shower. Since when has it not been?

To say that there is a difference in those two images where one is being sexualized while the other isn't is just ridiculous and frankly a bit naive.

Avatar image for zeeguy91
#48 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1625 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

I'm just gonna leave this here:

No Caption Provided

Um...I know several women who find Batman and Superman and a host of other male comic characters attractive as the overly muscled beefcakes they are. So many of my female friends who read comics describe Superman or Batman or Cyclops or Captain America as on their list of fictional men to sleep with and one of the things they are attracted to is their bodies. To pigeonhole women into being attracted to only one type of man is ridiculous and is simply a justification to excuse hold up a false argument that paints male comic readers as pigs.

Avatar image for atphantom
#49 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zeeguy91 said:

Um...I know several women who find Batman and Superman and a host of other male comic characters attractive as the overly muscled beefcakes they are. So many of my female friends who read comics describe Superman or Batman or Cyclops or Captain America as on their list of fictional men to sleep with and one of the things they are attracted to is their bodies. To pigeonhole women into being attracted to only one type of man is ridiculous and is simply a justification to excuse hold up a false argument that paints male comic readers as pigs.

Cool story bro. Except anecdotes do not equal data. Just search for any superhero slash pairing on DeviantArt and compare the results. In contrast, any female superheroes will look more or less the same as in the comics.

Now am I saying all women are attracted one type? No, of course not. Men are not all pigs either. But that's not the point. The point is that comics are made with male pigs in mind. A few token scenes, put in so that guys would have an excuse to say "LOOK! It's not a bad thing if the other side is doing it too!", aside, comics are not nearly as catering to the female demographics as they are to men.

Avatar image for zeeguy91
#50 Edited by Zeeguy91 (1625 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

Cool story bro. Except anecdotes do not equal data. Just search for any superhero slash pairing on DeviantArt and compare the results. In contrast, any female superheroes will look more or less the same as in the comics.

Now am I saying all women are attracted one type? No, of course not. Men are not all pigs either. But that's not the point. The point is that comics are made with male pigs in mind. A few token scenes, put in so that guys would have an excuse to say "LOOK! It's not a bad thing if the other side is doing it too!", aside, comics are not nearly as catering to the female demographics as they are to men.

Yeah, a web comic that you found online doesn't equate to data either. I'm actually speaking from real life experiences, not some theory that provides no evidence or hard statistics. And, the thing about anecdotes is that when there are enough cases, they actually do turn into the things that we call data and evidence. Almost every one of my female friends (and girls I've dated) have responded to the way that men are portrayed in comics (even if its not through comics). Yeah, and slash isn't really the best example to pull out either for...a variety of reasons. Most of the women I know are attracted to the square jaw, muscular, beefcake stereotype and that is an image that is perpetuated throughout society as expectations for men to follow. To say that there aren't the same forces acting on men as there are on women is just ignorant. Also, to say that comics cater to males in giving them a beefcake superheroes for the benefit of men by allowing them to point to as excuses kinda reeks of unfounded and ludicrous conspiracy theory to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.