Is she dumb?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by DEGRAAF (8422 posts) - - Show Bio

i remember back in the cartoon, she was very powerful but seemed like she was not always there in the head bc she was still learning about earth and our ways. is she this same way in the comics?

#2 Posted by G'bandit (13664 posts) - - Show Bio

She is not dumb she is just alien and is getting used to the planet

I think in the comics she is been around long enough t6o get over it, but then again I haven't read the comics XD

Besides that really made the animated series a lot more fun :D

#3 Edited by johnny_spam (2187 posts) - - Show Bio

The cartoon took many liberties with the comic like the Legion cartoon. Starfire was not used to life on Earth and had to learn she really isn't dumb.

#4 Posted by vance_astro (90094 posts) - - Show Bio

No..

#5 Posted by CellphoneGirl (19119 posts) - - Show Bio

its like a person moving to a new country...

#6 Posted by Calvin (3583 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: Well she's no braniac, but she's not a MTV doll either! She got brains, and can make smart decisions.
#7 Posted by WARLOCK2792 (18072 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
Seconded.  She simply doesn't know a lot about Earth's ways/culture.  That doesn't make one dumb.  She's just not fully informed. 
#8 Posted by Nahero (9350 posts) - - Show Bio

i totally agree

#9 Posted by cascadeking09 (6877 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: I hated the way the she was in the cartoon she's the exact opposite in the comics. In the cartoon she's always nice, and trying to keep everybody happy and she doesnt know hardly anything about earth. in the comic books she doesnt know much but she isnt completely ignorant to the way things are on earth, and she loses her temper sometimes, and she makes impulsive decisions.
#10 Posted by NovaHulk (166 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh...i blame the cartoon

#11 Posted by Pugiron (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@G'bandit:

You're an idiot. Starfire is supposed to come from an alien culture not an culture of chimps.  She acts like anything from Earth is bizzare. "A Lamp? How strange that you use a device to put light in your room from artificla sources! Soda Pop? on our planet we only drink the blood of our enemies, how strange you would drink artifical drinks!"  She is written by retards for kids so they just grab any concept at random and make it strange to her.
#12 Posted by vance_astro (90094 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pugiron You're an idiot.
#13 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: Yes. Very, actually.
#14 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:
" She is not dumb she is just alien and is getting used to the planet I think in the comics she is been around long enough t6o get over it, but then again I haven't read the comics XDBesides that really made the animated series a lot more fun :D "
So...it's going to take her another 25 years to "get used" to being on earth? C'mon now. She's just a moron.
#15 Posted by Asymmetrical (23750 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @DEGRAAF: Yes. Very, actually. "
hahahaha! I should have expected Starfire's biggest hater to be popping in here...but I think he was asking if the comic Starfire is as "cheesy stupid" as the cartoon one...which she isn't...that doesn't mean I'm saying she isn't stupid but she's not like the cartoon portrayed her
#16 Posted by Nahero (9350 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:
" She is not dumb she is just alien and is getting used to the planet I think in the comics she is been around long enough t6o get over it, but then again I haven't read the comics XDBesides that really made the animated series a lot more fun :D "
So...it's going to take her another 25 years to "get used" to being on earth? C'mon now. She's just a moron. "
you must really not like her doncha?
#17 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @Babs said:
hahahaha! I should have expected Starfire's biggest hater to be popping in here...but I think he was asking if the comic Starfire is as "cheesy stupid" as the cartoon one...which she isn't...that doesn't mean I'm saying she isn't stupid but she's not like the cartoon portrayed her "
She sucks in all mediums. Cartoon, comic books...etc. etc. etc. I stand by my statement ;)
#18 Posted by vance_astro (90094 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:
So...it's going to take her another 25 years to "get used" to being on earth? C'mon now. She's just a moron. "
Babs...you leave Kory alone.I know people who have been in America longer than that and still can't read and write english.Now! I win!
#19 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:
Babs...you leave Kory alone.I know people who have been in America longer than that and still can't read and write english.Now! I win! "
If I wasn't an immigrant I would agree with you. 

Flashes her green card
#20 Edited by vance_astro (90094 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:

" @Vance Astro said:

" @Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:
Babs...you leave Kory alone.I know people who have been in America longer than that and still can't read and write english.Now! I win! "

Flashes her green card "
LOL.Wait you weren't born in America?
#21 Posted by Asymmetrical (23750 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" @Babs said:
hahahaha! I should have expected Starfire's biggest hater to be popping in here...but I think he was asking if the comic Starfire is as "cheesy stupid" as the cartoon one...which she isn't...that doesn't mean I'm saying she isn't stupid but she's not like the cartoon portrayed her "
She sucks in all mediums. Cartoon, comic books...etc. etc. etc. I stand by my statement ;) "
As long as I get to hate on characters too, I'll let it slide :P 

But I must say, Starfire is quite amazing in the "pin-ups" medium ;D
#22 Posted by King Quisling (2073 posts) - - Show Bio

She was very naive early on, she knows more now but I don't sometimes I do question he intelligence. She's had years to get used to Earth culture by still doesn't know what a lot of minor things are. 

#23 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Babs said:

" @Vance Astro said:

" @Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:

Flashes her green card "
LOL.Wait you weren't born in America? "
HECK NO. And I write for a living...In ENGLISH. Take THAT.  :D :P

No Caption Provided
#24 Posted by vance_astro (90094 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @Babs said:

" @Vance Astro said:

" @Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:

Flashes her green card "

No Caption Provided
"
tears
#25 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @Babs said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" @Babs said:
She sucks in all mediums. Cartoon, comic books...etc. etc. etc. I stand by my statement ;) "
As long as I get to hate on characters too, I'll let it slide :P  But I must say, Starfire is quite amazing in the "pin-ups" medium ;D "
Sure, if you're into orange two dimensional people ;)
#26 Posted by Asymmetrical (23750 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
Sure, if you're into orange two dimensional people ;) "
hey, you're in no position to criticize my tastes when you are into two-dimensional mermaids with wings on their feet :P
#27 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @Babs said:
hey, you're in no position to criticize my tastes when you are into two-dimensional mermaids with wings on their feet :P "
Totally different situation. I have a six foot tall cardboard cutout.
#28 Posted by Asymmetrical (23750 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" @Babs said:
hey, you're in no position to criticize my tastes when you are into two-dimensional mermaids with wings on their feet :P "
Totally different situation. I have a six foot tall cardboard cutout. "
I think I've got you beat...what if I told you I had a six foot tall Starfire blow-up doll?
#29 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" @Babs said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" @Babs said:
Totally different situation. I have a six foot tall cardboard cutout. "
I think I've got you beat...what if I told you I had a six foot tall Starfire blow-up doll? "
You totally win.
#30 Posted by Zoom (14751 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh hai Babs. Im goin 2 has 2 deport u nao k?
Oh hai Babs. Im goin 2 has 2 deport u nao k?
#31 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

She's actually not dumb at all. The cartoon version is a far cry from the comic version.

#32 Edited by FoxxFireArt (3645 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: 
I don't think it's a matter of being stupid as in it's being innocent to the world around her. Try and see it from her perspective. She's in a world with vastly different customs and manners.

Say, you went to Japan. The customs there are VASTLY different then in most Western cultures. If you even study the language. It's a very polite language. Tenchincaly, there isn't even a word that means "you're wrong". The word 'chigau' just means be different. It's more of a request to see something differently.
There are also the use of Honorfics (i.e. san, chan, sama, dono). If you don't use an honorific to address someone it could be considered extremely rude. There is also consideration of what part of the name you use. The family or the given name.

I use this example, because if you were to just drop into Japan and try to live there. The people around you might see you as the fool if you didn't know all the customs. For Starfire it's even more of a transition. She plays the role of the outsider's look on our civilization. An alien who came parking in your backyard wouldn't know about the simple gesture of shaking hands as a greeting. As far as you know, raising your hand in a waving hello could be a rude gesture in their culture.

Even such an example of the same motion having different meanings can be seen on Earth. You know the hand sign for "OK", having the tips of your thumb and index finger meet while the rest of your fingers are straight? In most European cultures it's a sign that everything is fine.
In most asian cultures it's the sign of money, prosperity, or greed.

@Gambler said:
" She's actually not dumb at all. The cartoon version is a far cry from the comic version. "

Though, I actually thought the cartoon version was cuter. Something about that 80's big hair style that doesn't feel right.
#33 Posted by Zoom (14751 posts) - - Show Bio

She's not innocent to the world around her. 

The last time she was confused by anything was back in the 80s if you don't count random one shots by people who don't know what they're writing about.
#34 Posted by G'bandit (13664 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
@G'bandit said:
SHE'S SEXY!! There, I SAID IT! :P

The power of sexiness can protect its users from all criticism :P 

But anyway in the cartoon she hasn't been around for 25 years =D
Avatar image for malicious_zaria
#35 Posted by Malicious Zaria (54 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @Babs said:

" @Vance Astro said:

" @Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:

Flashes her green card "

"

Portugal Rules XP 

<---Closure
#36 Posted by vuviper (5651 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom: she still isn't always tactful though
#37 Posted by Calvin (3583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Malicious Zaria said:

" @Babs said:

" @Vance Astro said:
" @Babs said:

" @Vance Astro said:

" @Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:

Flashes her green card "

No Caption Provided
"
Portugal Rules XP  <---Closure "
 Yes Portugal rules. Even thought that's a Brazilian flag, and Brazil won their independence a few centuries ago... JK! are you portuguese? 
Avatar image for malicious_zaria
#38 Posted by Malicious Zaria (54 posts) - - Show Bio
@Calvin said:
" @Malicious Zaria said:

" @Babs said:

" @Vance Astro said:
" @Babs said:

" @Vance Astro said:

" @Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:

Flashes her green card "

"
 Yes Portugal rules. Even thought that's a Brazilian flag, and Brazil won their independence a few centuries ago... JK! are you portuguese?  "

I was making fun of Brazil lol 

Na, I'm Azorian XD
#39 Posted by Calvin (3583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs:@aztek the lost said:
" @Babs said:
Hahaahaaha! I think he got you there Babs! - Even though I must say that in my honest opinion they should both learn to use pants! But one is alien and the other from the depths of the sea so I guess we have to cut them some slack.
#40 Posted by Calvin (3583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Malicious Zaria said:
" @Calvin said:
" @Malicious Zaria said:

" @Babs said:

" @Vance Astro said:
" @Babs said:

" @Vance Astro said:

" @Babs said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:

Flashes her green card "

No Caption Provided
"
 Yes Portugal rules. Even thought that's a Brazilian flag, and Brazil won their independence a few centuries ago... JK! are you portuguese?  "
I was making fun of Brazil lol  Na, I'm Azorian XD "
Sorry but unlike Brazil, Azores belong to Portugal! (Apanhei-te ai, não!)
#41 Posted by Zoom (14751 posts) - - Show Bio
@vuviper said:
" @Zoom: she still isn't always tactful though "
Sure.  But that isn't because she's dumb or doesn't understand our culture.  Its just the way she was born/raised. 

She doesn't wear less clothing and say whatever's on her mind because she doesn't know better.  She does it because its what she wants to do.
#42 Posted by NightFang3 (12362 posts) - - Show Bio

She not dumb, she just learning how things on Earth work.

#43 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom: Agreed.
#44 Posted by IsabellaRoth (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes she is..She is not smart enough to be with the future Batman!....Perhaps to be with anyone else..But not with Batman...XD..!

#45 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe.

#46 Posted by Video_Martian (5650 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's funny how babs hates starfire so much.

#47 Posted by Feliciano2040 (665 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious said:
I think it's funny how babs hates starfire so much.

Well, nobody wonders why that would that be !
#48 Posted by Mercy_ (94916 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs
@Vance Astro said:
" No.. "
@G'bandit said:
So...it's going to take her another 25 years to "get used" to being on earth? C'mon now. She's just a moron.
So much win.
#49 Edited by sisconabisco (1 posts) - - Show Bio

why are you idiots criticizing the country your in only to praise the country your family ditched due to low poverty???

Last i checked most of you lived under a tin roof now your browsing high speed internet watching teen titans???

All hail communism smh

#50 Posted by WastelandMan (8797 posts) - - Show Bio

Not being accustomed to a different culture doesn't mean you're dumb, it just means you're not omniscient.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.