Star Wars #1

• 58 results
Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

STAR WARS #1 is on sale January 14, 2015.

The Good

A new STAR WARS comic isn't something new. We've had many great Star Wars comics over the years. There is a new feeling of excitement with the franchise returning to Marvel Comics. The fact that both Marvel and Star Wars are now owned by Disney does give a feeling that continuity will be tighter.

This first new series at Marvel focuses on the core characters we all love. Taking place right after Episode IV brings us back to that exciting time when it was all still new for us. The Rebel Alliance have just won a major victory in destroying the Empire's Death Star. This was always a fascinating time for me. There may have been several novels and some comics taking place during this time period but I always wanted to know exactly what happened between Episodes IV and V. The Rebels were victorious but when we next saw them, they were still on the run, hiding out on a frozen planet.

This issue begins exactly like you would hope. With the giant Star Wars logo followed by the scrawling yellow text leading into a scene reminiscent to the opening of Episode IV, you feel like this is how it's supposed to be. The Star Wars galaxy is a big place and the Empire is a gigantic force to reckon with. There's no way destroying one Death Star (as gigantic and powerful as it was) could be a huge decimation against their forces. That means the Rebel Alliance's job is not over. Now our characters are able to go on their next glorious mission to try to put an end to the Empire.

Jason Aaron establishes the scene and all the players immediately. They all simply feel right. John Cassaday also captures their likeness and the entire Star Wars vibe in his art. Color in Star Wars comics have always been my pet peeve. Trying to capture the feel of the movies with comic book art isn't easy. I've often been distracted by the colors making it all look too artificial but Laura Martin does a great job blending it all nicely. We shouldn't have overly bright colors and there's a nice mix of muted tones along with shadows and grime in the right places. Except when a lightsaber is ignited, of course.

We might just have the first chapter in an introductory tale but it's captured my attention and my expectations have been met.

The Bad

There were a couple minor moments things felt a little cliché, in a Star Wars fashion. There really isn't too much of a way around it as sometimes, I'm sure, the characters almost write themselves. If I'm being nit-picky, having Luke and Leia change out of their disguises in the middle of a mission into their more familiar outfits seemed unnecessary. Understandably, their true outfits provide better visuals but in the middle of a mission where things are starting to turn and time is of the essence, it doesn't seem reasonable to change your clothes. I also couldn't help but wonder if anyone else needed to assist them on this mission. Based on the score, you can see this is truly not a big deal.

The Verdict

There's been a lot of hype around this first new STAR WARS comic at Marvel. Marvel has accepted the challenge of delivering a STAR WARS comic with a lot of high expectations surrounding it and they have succeeded. STAR WARS #1 simply feels like a true Star Wars story. Jason Aaron, John Cassaday, and Laura Martin nail it completely. When you open the comic and see and read those first few pages, you'll likely hear the familiar theme song playing in your head. We've had some great Star Wars comics in the past and this shows the franchise is headed in a great direction. If you're not already excited for the new Star Wars comics, you will be...you will be. This is exactly the Star Wars comic I was hoping for.

#1 Edited by Gracetrack (4812 posts) - - Show Bio

Always felt Star Wars would jive better with DC. Oh well, this is still cool.

#2 Posted by WarDishy_ (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

Really stoked for this, glad it's good.

Two questions though;

- Will this be double-shipping in the first month?

- Is this an oversized issue?

Asking because I'm sure I read Darth Vader would double-ship in Feb and both issues would be over-sized, which is nuts.

#3 Posted by the_stegman (40417 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have picked this up even if it were a one star.

#4 Posted by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono: Why? They were Marvel to begin with. Just curious.

#5 Posted by Gracetrack (4812 posts) - - Show Bio

Why? They were Marvel to begin with. Just curious.

Just the overall vibe and feel of their two universes, and the characters. Can't really put my finger on it.

#6 Posted by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono: Well DC is doing pretty good with Masters of the Universe, at least in my opinion.

#7 Posted by the_stegman (40417 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono: Well, at least DC grabbed Mortal Kombat.

I personally want them to make a Harry Potter ongoing.

#8 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardishy: It's thirty five pages, including the credits, not including any ads. Issue #2 is on sale February 4.

#9 Posted by BigL (622 posts) - - Show Bio

So hyped

#10 Posted by DrellAssassin (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey look, characters that actually look like their on screen counter parts! Marvel's already got a leg up on Dark Horse in that regard. Dark Horse jabs aside, I'm pumped for this series and the other two Star Wars comics to come. There's something special about knowing that every story told in these comics will be canon from here on out.

#11 Posted by Gracetrack (4812 posts) - - Show Bio

Well DC is doing pretty good with Masters of the Universe, at least in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree. It's funny because Masters of the Universe also has that similar vibe to me as Star Wars.

Well, at least DC grabbed Mortal Kombat.

I personally want them to make a Harry Potter ongoing.

Did they get Mortal Kombat? If so, that's pretty cool.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
#13 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (19973 posts) - - Show Bio

Great review G-Man.

#14 Posted by Gracetrack (4812 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#16 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to be excited for this, but I just can't.

#17 Posted by AdmiralPetty (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it really matters what publisher is handling it since it wont intersect with their main continuity anyhow. The main thing that matters is the writers, which most high profile writers switch back and forth between Marvel and DC at some point anyhow. Although I can see how you might want certain writers like Geoff Johns who are probably never going to switch publishers to take a crack at it.

Hey look, characters that actually look like their on screen counter parts! Marvel's already got a leg up on Dark Horse in that regard. Dark Horse jabs aside, I'm pumped for this series and the other two Star Wars comics to come. There's something special about knowing that every story told in these comics will be canon from here on out.

To be honest, that tended to vary from series to series with Dark Horse, depending on who was drawing the arc at the time. I have no doubt that some artists at Marvel will not hit the mark every time either when it comes to portraying the characters through the years.

I am tentatively excited to see where this all goes with the new continuity now that they EU has been relegated to the Star Wars Legends brand. I loved a lot of the EU, but there were some real stinkers in it as well, so hopefully they'll pull some of the good stuff for inspiration while forging ahead with a new continuity.

#18 Posted by jonnyh101 (76 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardishy: it's a $4.99 Issue so yeah and no the second issue is out February!

#19 Edited by Gracetrack (4812 posts) - - Show Bio

@admiralpetty said:

@omnicrono said:

I don't think it really matters what publisher is handling it since it wont intersect with their main continuity anyhow. The main thing that matters is the writers, which most high profile writers switch back and forth between Marvel and DC at some point anyhow. Although I can see how you might want certain writers like Geoff Johns who are probably never going to switch publishers to take a crack at it.

Sure, but the chances they'll intersect at all in the comics (mainstream continuity or otherwise) are pretty much gone now. And that's a sad day for me.

#20 Posted by bladewolf (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm tempted to get this, but the cover price is somewhat daunting, even if the issue is oversized. I think I'll grab Darth Vader, and trade wait on this one.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
#21 Posted by StMichalofWilson (5639 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! I can't wait to read this!

#22 Posted by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono: Honestly I don't think I'd want to see the Star Wars Universe interact with DC, Marvel, or any other universe. Maybe when Disney does the next Kingdom Hearts game, that might be cool. Or the Infinity game maybe.

#23 Posted by 8bitGangsta (592 posts) - - Show Bio

I am tentatively excited to see where this all goes with the new continuity now that they EU has been relegated to the Star Wars Legends brand. I loved a lot of the EU, but there were some real stinkers in it as well, so hopefully they'll pull some of the good stuff for inspiration while forging ahead with a new continuity.

I agree, I been reading alot of the EU, and hate the Non Clone Wars stuff mostly.

Only thing from the Dark Horse I like in art and story was Tales of the Jedi, Legacy, and some of the Clone Wars comics.

The rest was crap, or I simply was not invested in. That applies to the KOTOR books, which featured no character from either game! Fragging retards, like I want to read about a joke fodder Jedi who gets his butt whooped all the time. Dang it Dark Horse.

Avatar image for transformers1024
#24 Posted by Transformers1024 (7603 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Marvel insist on charging $5 for all their issue 1's now? Their ridiculous prices are one of the reasons why I left in them in the first place. Too bad, I was actually looking forward to this. /:

Hopefully the trades are cheap.

#25 Posted by TommytheHitman (6940 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Dark Horse.

Looks like Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison doesn't matter anymore...

:(

That being said I am really looking forward to the Darth Vader ongoing series. Couldn't care less about this title though if I'm being honest. Or the Princess Leia series.

#26 Posted by mak13131313 (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

I want to be excited for this, but I just can't.

This.

#27 Posted by noj (1400 posts) - - Show Bio

Its crazy how nearly all Marvel books are 4.99 now! I was thinking of giving this a shot but the price seriously turns me off. The same thing happened with the SHIELD comic the other week.

It was the last week of the year and my pull list was super small. I had also started watching SHIELD on netflix so I was a bit curious. It wouldve been the first Marvel issue I bought in at least a year but lo and behold the dang issue was 5 BUCKS!

#28 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome review =)

#29 Posted by AdmiralPetty (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

Its crazy how nearly all Marvel books are 4.99 now! I was thinking of giving this a shot but the price seriously turns me off. The same thing happened with the SHIELD comic the other week.

It was the last week of the year and my pull list was super small. I had also started watching SHIELD on netflix so I was a bit curious. It wouldve been the first Marvel issue I bought in at least a year but lo and behold the dang issue was 5 BUCKS!

I understand your frustration, but to be fair, all the titles that have been 5 bucks have been expanded issues with more than 25% additional content. But all the same, I'd prefer normal issues with the normal price point in most cases.

#30 Posted by Radx_Konkin75 (141 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll try to check this out. Ever since they deemed the expanded universe as non-canon, I've been really disappointed and haven't been as much of a SW fan as I used to be.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
#31 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome home Star Wars, with over a 100 variants I'm sure I will be able to find it on the stands!

No Caption Provided

#32 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

Its awesome.

#33 Posted by GrandHarrier (130 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested in this but I'm not interested in Marvel's slide towards $4.99 price points. It's getting ridiculous.

#34 Posted by fables87 (1784 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!

#35 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (1444 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't buy many comics these days. The occasional ASM or Batman. But this one looks like a winner, I think I need to grab a copy! :)

#36 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

Very excited. I have high expectations for this, we are finally getting a comic that is 100% canon.

#37 Posted by KnightofSteel (369 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man is so lucky he got to read this early! I hear people saying this issue is $4.99, but doesn't it have more pages? Anyway can't wait for this. I can't see Cassady in this for the long haul as he's not very quick, and I don't think Marvel would let any issues be late on this title.

#38 Posted by tparks (11807 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. Glad to see it got 5 stars. I loved the old EU, but I'm really hoping Marvel can keep the new EU from becoming as messy as the old one.

#39 Posted by AnimalBone (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Just 2 more days! I'm really excited and I believe 100% that it's going to be an amazing book and series!

#40 Posted by COBRAMORPH (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

I also feel like Star Wars would fit better with DC. SW, at first, is just a adaptation of the heros Journey, & is very formulic in that they have to rescue the space princess. DC's top tier, Superman, WW, Batman, Flash, GL, all seem to me to be more of the basicly super hero arctypes. Its funny, though, as I feel Master of the Universe would fit better with Marvel.

#44 Posted by joshrocker (47 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man is so lucky he got to read this early! I hear people saying this issue is $4.99, but doesn't it have more pages? Anyway can't wait for this. I can't see Cassady in this for the long haul as he's not very quick, and I don't think Marvel would let any issues be late on this title.

It has 48 pages but at least 4 of those are a "preview" of the other 2 Star wars comics and then all of the ads. You'll be getting a few more pages but probably not a whole lot more than usual. If all of the issues were going to be $5 I would have passed. But a few extra pages for an extra dollar isn't a big deal to me.

#47 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshrocker: Well over thirty pages of actual pages. I mentioned it above. So if people compare that to your typical twenty page comic...

#48 Posted by deactivated-579fe0ae58107 (1321 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited. But $4.99?

#49 Posted by silentbat (1348 posts) - - Show Bio

No digital versions?

#50 Posted by DrellAssassin (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.