Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By i_like_swords

The Power of Darth Maul - The Ultimate Essay

No Caption Provided

Part 1 - Force Power

This has been a long time coming. Maul has had respect threads over the years, and many great arguments have been made on his behalf, but this essay is the ultimate review of Maul's power. We're starting with his Force power in part one, as it's an area he is sorely under and misrepresented in.

It's long and content-packed, but you can rest assured that if you had any doubts about Maul belonging to the upper echelons of the Sith in terms of Force power, they will be dispelled by the end of your reading. In addition, many of the tired old myths people have perpetuated about Maul (some being outright falsehoods) have also been examined and debunked thoroughly. In parts 2 and 3 I will go over Maul's skill as a lightsaber duelist and his feats of Force augmentation and physical prowess; less pertinent than part 1 to be sure, but equally mesmerising, I assure you.

I would like to quickly thanks @azronger for supplying me with some important material, and would also like to bring attention to the fact that this essay has been years in the making: if not for years spent debating and researching, seeing other people's arguments and insights, separating the wheat from the chaff, I would not have ended up with as much content and as many useful arguments as I have here. If we have interacted even a little bit, chances are you contributed to this thread, one way or another, to either your joy or dismay.

Enjoy.

Table of Contents

1. Force Potential & Potential As Sidious' Successor
  2. Training
  3. Force Knowledge
  4. Orsis Barracks Feat
  5. Cheating Death
  6. Vast Superiority To Mid-Clone Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi
  7. Vast Superiority To Savage Opress
  8. Maul's The Clone Wars Feats
  9. Maul's Growing Power
  10. Fight With Mace Windu
  11. "Vader Realm"
  12. Superiority To Darth Bane

Force Potential & Potential As Sidious’ Successor

In this section I will show the following:

• Maul’s latent Force potential was high enough that Darth Sidious decided to train him as a potential Rule of Two successor.
  • That Sidious was willing to burn bridges with powerful allies in order to acquire Maul.
  • That Sidious was willing to risk the wrath of his own master, Plagueis, by training Maul as a legitimate Sith Lord in secret, violating the Rule of Two.

The best place to start is always the beginning. When Maul was an infant, no older than a few months old, his power was so great that the most powerful beings on Dathomir were afraid of him. This would include all of the Force-sensitive Nightsisters.

“”You have already traveled great distances,” Sidious continued. “You may have been born on the planet Iridonia, but you came to my attention on another world, Dathomir. There, the females rule and enslave the males. You were just an infant, and yet the most powerful beings on Dathomir were afraid of you. They wanted you dead because you were different."”

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

Darth Sidious sensed that infant Maul was too strong to allow to fall into the hands of the Jedi.

Palpatine studied the bundle of life he held. That the Force was strong in the infant was reason enough not to allow him to wander about unprotected, and perhaps fall into the hands of the Jedi.

―Darth Plagueis

Darth Plagueis allowed Darth Sidious to train Maul with the condition that Maul will be eliminated if his Force abilities do not mature from a young age. He met this expectation.

"Leave the infant on Mustafar in the care of the droids," Plagueis added at last, "but begin to train him. Inure him to pain, Lord Sidious, so that he will be able to serve us fully. Should his Force talents fail to mature, eliminate him. But if he measures up, relocate him at your discretion to Orsis.”

[...]

"The Force provides, Sidious," Plagueis said after a moment. "As nature provides more male beings in the aftermath of war, the Force, ever mindful of balance, provides beings strong in the dark side when light has ruled for too long. This Zabrak bodes well."

―Darth Plagueis

Darth Sidious took Maul from Mother Talzin after sensing his potential as a successor. He did this at the expense of losing Talzin as a powerful ally who had secrets of the dark side which he coveted, indicating Maul’s value as an apprentice exceeds whatever knowledge and resources Talzin had to offer.

"Long ago, Sidious came to me on Dathomir. We exchanged secret wisdom—mingled dark side abilities with Nightsister Magicks.”

―Mother Talzin (Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir)

“Yes, Count. When Sidious realized Maul’s potential, he took him from me and trained him as a Sith.”

―Mother Talzin (Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir)

Sidious muses that Maul may one day become more powerful than him.

"While you might think that your life is harsh and unpleasant, and that I am sometimes cruel, there is a reason for you to endure such pain. The reason is that you must become strong in every way. You must learn to overcome pain. Someday, you might become stronger than I. You'd like that, wouldn't you? To be stronger than I?"

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

Sidious states that Maul may one day become his apprentice, after he overcomes many trials.

Once more he stood before Maul. “Now—what did you wish to ask me earlier?”

Maul began tentatively, as if testing his ability to speak.

“How long must I go on being one thing here and another there? Trained in the Force here, and trained to do without it there? What are your plans for me, Master? What am I to you?”

Sidious sniffed. “You are my student, Maul, and one day you may become my apprentice.”

“Your apprentice,” Maul said, not sure what to make of the designation.

“Perhaps. But if that is meant to be, it will come at the end of many trials that will make these present ones seem insignificant.”

―Restraint

Darth Sidious states that Maul’s potential in the dark side is great and that only he can truly understand it. Sidious later muses that Maul’s anger is constantly sweltering inside of him, fermenting as his power continues to intensify. He regards Maul’s heart as a reactor of pure, distilled rage, and also notes that his respect for Maul is always increasing, and that in “the fullness of time”, Maul’s power will serve him better than he can possibly imagine.

“I expect much from you, Darth Maul, only because I alone grasp your true potential for greatness in the dark side.”

[...]

Stepping away from the holovid unit, Darth Sidious opened his eyes and crossed the floor of the LiMerge Tower to the turbolift, his mind already teeming with a collision of thoughts.

As with any mission involving Maul, the situation that Sidious was creating on Cog Hive Seven was not entirely stable. The Sith Lord harbored no delusions about his apprentice’s ambition or pride, or how closely those elements were linked to the anger that was constantly sweltering inside his apprentice, fermenting as Maul’s power continued to intensify. Locked in unswerving allegiance to their cause, the Zabrak’s heart was a reactor of pure, distilled rage.

And that rage will serve him well.

Yes. When Sidious reflected back on the years of training that Maul had endured, proving himself repeatedly against the worst that the galaxy had to offer, he felt an unmistakable pride in his apprentice’s strength and fortitude. By definition, Cog Hive Seven was an environment that no one survived, yet Maul had already established himself as a dominant presence without relying on the Force. Despite what he’d said to Maul, Sidious felt an increasing respect for what his apprentice continued to achieve. In the fullness of time, such abilities would continue to serve him better than he could possibly imagine.

―Maul: Lockdown

With all of that said, let’s answer the big question: was Maul a legitimate Rule of Two apprentice? Yes, he was. In fact, he was as early as 2001 described as being a Sith Lord, one of the two permitted at any given time. He was also described as comprising the other half of the Sith Order.

In the early days of the Sith, only one of their rank could ever gain the title “Dark Lord of the Sith” Seizing this prestigious position generally required the support of a significant portion of the Sith―and the death of the previous Sith Lord.

With the twilight of the Sith and the rise of Darth Bane, the rules of the old Sith were supplanted by new rules. There could only be two SIth at any time: One was the master, and the other was the apprentice. While both of these could be Sith Lords, neither could take on an apprentice until the other was dead. Sometimes this resulted in vicious battles between master and student. But more commonly, a Sith Master would pass on all he knew before expiring, leaving his former apprentice to take on an apprentice of his own, and thus continue the tradition of the Sith.

Unless the GM wishes to diverge from Star Wars canon, he should not allow characters to adopt this class. The only Sith Lords in The Phantom Menace are Darth Maul and Darth Sidious.

―The Dark Side Sourcebook

“It was time to bring a new player into the game—one who had trained and studied for years for precisely this kind of assignment. The one who comprised the other half of the Sith order. His protégé, his disciple, his myrmidon. The one Sidious had named Darth Maul.”

—Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter

However, these sources do not take into account Darth Plagueis, as he had little if any material at that time. People have often misquoted some of Sidious’ dialogue from the Darth Plagueis novel, believing it proves Maul was an illegitimate apprentice and nothing more than an assassin; the same book, in fact, proves exactly the opposite.

Firstly, Sidious muses that he was living multiple different lives, one of which where he was an apprentice to Plagueis, another where he was a master to Maul; if Maul was not a legitimate apprentice such comparisons would not be drawn. He even wonders how Maul would react if he found out “his Master answered to a Master.”

Relaxing back into the padded seat, he exhaled for what felt like the first time all day. In the space of a standard year he had gone from leading two lives to managing almost half a dozen: apprentice to Plagueis; Master to Maul; distinguished Senator; . . .

[...]

Leaving the hangar space, Sidious made his way to the holoprojector in the building's only refurbished room. What would become of Maul once Palpatine and Damask assumed control of the Republic, he asked himself. As a secret weapon, he would continue to be useful, but could he ever be eased into public life?

How would he react to learning that his Master answered to a Master?

―Darth Plagueis

Furthermore, when Plagueis eavesdrops on Sidious, he is troubled when he hears Sidious addressing Maul as an apprentice, and observes that there was an “almost filial”, meaning parent-child, bond between them.

It certainly wasn't that he didn't trust Darth Sidious. But Plagueis had never observed Maul at close range, and he was curious about Sidious's relationship with him. He knew that they had seldom met outside The Works, let alone walked together on a balcony of one of Coruscant's most stylish monads in the dead of night, wrapped in their cowled cloaks. But it was only fitting that they should finally do so. With 11-4D close at hand, Plagueis stood observing the two of them from afar, his presence in the Force minimized.

[...]

The droid paused, then added, "Maul says, 'At last we reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.'

In the distance, Sidious turned to Maul. FourDee sharpened its auditory inputs. "Sidious says: 'You have been well trained, my young apprentice. They will be no match for you.'"

The words stirred deep misgiving in Plagueis and he stretched out with the Force, attuned to its swirling currents. Momentarily, the gates that obscured the future parted and he had a glimpse of events to come, or events that might come. Either way, he was not encouraged.

[...]

Sidious had formed an almost filial bond with Maul. Attached to the present, he failed to grasp the truth: that this was the last time he and his apprentice might see each other in the flesh.

―Darth Plagueis

While Sidious is killing Plagueis, he states that he has Maul to carry out various tasks which he could not do due to the risk of being discovered as a Sith Lord. He then states he will “execute the rest of the Grand Plan” - him executing “the rest” indicates that Maul will be playing an important role in the areas he has been assigned.

"And yet that also turned out for the best, for even after all you taught me, I might not have been able to take the final steps to the chancellorship without your help in manipulating the Senate and bringing into play your various and sundry allies. If it's any consolation, I'm being honest when I say that I could not have succeeded without you. But now that we've won the race, I've no need for a co-chancellor. Your presence, much less your unnecessary counsel, would only confuse matters. I have Maul to do what the risk of discovery might not allow me to do, while I execute the rest of the Grand Plan: growing an army, fomenting rebellion and fabricating intergalactic war, corralling the Jedi and catching them unaware…

"Rest easy in your grave, Plagueis. In the end, I will be proclaimed Emperor. The Sith will have had their revenge, and I will rule the galaxy."

―Darth Plagueis

Finally, when both Maul and Plagueis died at nearly the same time, it was mentioned that Darth Sidious was now the galaxy’s sole Sith Lord until he took on a new apprentice.

That Plagueis's death and Maul's defeat had occurred in relative simultaneity could only have been the will of the dark side of the Force, as was the fact that, until such time as he took and trained a new apprentice, Palpatine was now the galaxy's sole Sith Lord.

―Darth Plagueis

Which, by the way, also dispels the popular myth that Sidious was always going to replace Maul with Dooku.

To further dispel that myth, Sidious had a “sense of loss and profound solitude” following Maul and Plagueis’ simultaneous deaths, which is quite hard to do when you're planning to get rid of someone.

It wasn't until he arrived in Theed and learned of Darth Maul's defeat at the hands of the Jedi in a power-generator station that he understood in part the reason for the sense of loss and profound solitude he had experienced following the murder of Plagueis. He could have pressed one of the other Jedi who had arrived on Naboo for information as to how Maul had managed to kill a master sword fighter only to be overcome by a lesser one, but he didn't want to know, and as a result be able to imagine the contest.

―Darth Plagueis

He then notes that Dooku “could” make a powerful “placeholder”, which indicates two things; that he was only considering making Dooku his apprentice after Maul was dead, and that Dooku’s only purpose was to keep the seat warm for Anakin, so to speak.

Dooku had talent, and could be a powerful placeholder.

―Darth Plagueis

Granted, this takes nothing away from Dooku himself or the training he received from Sidious - this is a mere observation of the fact that his recruitment was in reaction to Maul’s death, not an eventuality Sidious always planned for,.

Even a pre-Darth Plagueis source supports this point, that Sidious had no plans to replace his “worthy apprentice”, and that his “death” was a setback. It is again noted that he had nobody in particularly in mind to take up Maul’s role - the text merely foreshadowing Dooku’s eventual recruitment.

My apprentice was worthy, but he was never flexible. He focused on the Jedi for personal revenge. I had drilled single-mindedness into my apprentice from an early age. I did not expect it would become a failing.

[...]

My worthy apprentice failed me in the end. He fell into the melting pit.

[...]

But it is merely a setback, already in the past.

[...]

Maul made mistakes of impatience and temper. In the end, he had been too hungry for victory. He had failed to expect the resilience of Obi-Wan Kenobi. He allowed his feeling of triumph to distract him.

I, too, made a mistake. Perhaps Maul was not the best choice. For my next apprentice, I will choose more carefully. There must be hate and fear in him. There must be something in his heart that has gone cold, something that I can work on to expand into ruthlessness. But there must be great cunning and intelligence as well.

The next apprentice will make no mistakes.

―Darth Sidious (Episode I Journal: Darth Maul)

In the Canon Darth Vader comic series, Sidious reiterates the points made above; that Maul was a loss and Dooku was a powerful placeholder.

I learned from the mistakes of my forebears. I used those who were not Sith to achieve my aims. And my Apprentices? Darth Maul was a loss, but Darth Tryanus... He was a Proton Torpedo. He served his purpose and was gone...

―Darth Sidious (Darth Vader #20)

https://imgur.com/eenOXtC

In addition, George Lucas states that Sidious shouldn’t have gotten his apprentice killed, which again, indicates he had no plans for getting rid of Maul and was negatively impacted by his loss.

Well, he [Sidious] shouldn't have gotten himself in a position of getting his apprentice killed anyways.

―George Lucas, Attack of the Clones DVD Commentary

Dave Filoni, who as the director of TCW was largely responsible for Maul’s resurrection, notes that Maul was aware a conflict akin to the clone wars was coming before it happened, indicating he had a role to play in it before his supposed death.

“Something is different about the whole universe right now, and Savage is like “well the Clone Wars are happening.” And I mean [Maul] wouldn’t know from “clone wars”, but he knows that that’s the conflict my master had spoken about. I didn’t know it would necessarily take this form, but this is the conflict.”

―Dave Filoni, Director of The Clone Wars

https://youtu.be/4WkUBn7BQf8?t=49s

To put the nail in the coffin for good, an out of universe source states that Maul's death is what motivates him to seek out a new apprentice.

"Soon after his departure, though Count Dooku is visited by the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Sidious. The loss of Sith Lord's former apprentice, Darth Maul, motivates Sidious to seek out a new apprentice, a convert who already has the training he needs - and who can be turned to the Dark Side."

―The Clone Wars Campaign Guide

And on a final note, Maul's potential, legitimacy and level of training are exemplified in the below quotes. Sidious, "following the tradition of his predecessors [...] took his own apprentice, the powerful warrior Darth Maul." Most notably, "With Maul still alive, the Rule of Two was temporarily broken. Maul's seizure of Mandalore made him a rival Sith who could not be ignored or tolerated."

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

―Force and Destiny: Core Rulebook

While the Clone Wars continued, Darth Sidious was presented with an unforeseen challenge: the return of his former apprentice, Darth Maul. Maul had, in fact, survived his injuries suffered at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi, and was now amassing power. Sidious dealt with him and his brother, Savage Opress, personally, killing Opress and taking Maul captive.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/emperor-palpatine-darth-sidious

Maul’s hateful act garnered unwanted attention, however: across the galaxy, Darth Sidious detected a tremor in the Force and soon left for Mandalore. Upon arrival, Sidious declared the Sith brothers to be his rivals.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/darth-maul-biography-gallery

Building a base of operations on the corrupt planet of Mandalore, Maul plotted revenge against his many enemies. But Maul’s lust for power and conquest has drawn a great enemy upon him―his former master, Darth Sidious.

Judging Maul a threat to his own designs, Sidious defeated his former apprentice, ruthlessly murdering Maul’s brother Savage Opress and leaving Maul beaten but, curiously, still alive . . .

―Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Training

In this section I will show that Maul received the highest standard of training in the Dark Side possible from Sidious.

Firstly, let’s dispel a common myth people have been perpetuating for years: that Maul was trained solely as an assassin, and had at best a rudimentary understanding of the Force. It’s understandable why people have been left with this impression, given that this is the vibe Maul gives off in Episode I, however, by all available evidence it is not the case, and I think 18 years is a bit too long to be harbouring these kinds of delusions.

A quote from the Dark Side sourcebook, which was released as early as 2001, directly addresses this criticism; it states that Maul “was not specifically trained to fulfill the function of assassin―his purpose was to kill Jedi.” It simply turned out that Maul was an exceptional assassin in addition to his core skill-set.

Even Darth Maul was not specifically trained to fulfill the function of assassin―his purpose was to kill Jedi. Darth Maul was so good at eliminating other impediments to Darth Sidious’ plans that the Emperor realized his need for assassins that were less like apprentices and more like operatives.

So, now that we know Maul is a legitimate apprentice to Sidious, a legitimate Sith Lord and something beyond a mere assassin, the question becomes: just how well trained is this guy?

Next we’ll review a few accolades describing the level of training in the Dark Side Maul received. It has been stated in at least three, but likely more, sources that Maul is one of the most “skilled,” “dangerous,” “highly trained,” and “deadly” Sith in history, whether that be referring to Sith apprentices, warriors or Sith generally.

Darth Maul is one of the most skilled, dangerous and highly trained Sith in history.

[...]

The present Sith Master, Darth Sidious is the diabolically brilliant mind behind the training of one of the most dangerous Sith apprentices in history: the deadly Darth Maul.

[...]

Darth Maul is one of the most highly trained Sith in the history of the order.

―Episode I: The Visual Dictionary

One of the most skilled and deadly warriors in Sith history, Darth Sidious' apprentice took part in the first encounter between Jedi Knight and Sith warrior for more than 1,000 years in the Battle for Naboo.As a Sith devotee, Darth Maul drew his power from the dark side of the Force. He was one of the most highly trained Sith in the history of the order.

―The Official Star Wars Fact File 001

Darth Maul is Darth Sidious's apprentice and one of the most dangerous and highly trained Sith in the history of the Order.

―Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia

The same has been said of Maul in the Canon sourcebook, Ultimate Star Wars.

One of the deadliest, most efficiently trained Sith in the Order’s history, Darth Maul’s tattooed face is as symbolic of his utter devotion to the dark side, as it is marking his hatred of the Jedi

[...]

Apprentice to Darth Sidious, Maul is one of the most highly trained Sith in the history of the order.

―Ultimate Star Wars

This is important, because as noted in Darth Plagueis:

Sadly he could glean only so much from the texts, crystals, and holocrons stored in the library. Crucial knowledge had been lost during the brief mastery of Darth Gravid, and many of the most important elements of Sith training since had been passed from Masters to apprentices in sessions that had been left unrecorded.

―Darth Plagueis

Moreover, holocrons are also limited in that while they provide important knowledge, they in of themselves do not provide a catalyst for change, a challenge to be overcome. Sith traditionally grow in power by overcoming pain, and channelling it into powerful emotions such as hatred and anger, which fuels their command of the dark side. This is why, to use a potent example, Darth Krayt saw a more sizeable increase in power from experiencing the Yuuzhan Vong Embrace of Pain than he did from scouring Xoxaan's Sith holocron for decades.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

In addition to this, we know that Maul is an “extremely powerful Sith Lord,” who “spent his entire life in servitude to the dark side of the Force.” Most notably, however, he was “trained mercilessly in all forms of the Sith arts, becoming the living embodiment of evil.”

"There, in the palace hangar, they faced off against Darth Maul, an extremely powerful double lightsaber-wielding Sith Lord."

"A deadly combatant and powerful Sith Lord, Maul spent his entire life in servitude to the dark side of the Force. Taken from his home at a very early age by Darth Sidious, Maul was trained mercilessly in all forms of the Sith arts, becoming the living embodiment of evil."

―Star Wars: Fandex Deluxe Edition

Maul is "the next generation of evil, a master of all things foul."

No Caption Provided

Maul "was one of the deadliest and best-trained Sith in the history of it's dark order."

No Caption Provided

Maul is "the embodiment of dark side nefariousness," meaning in relation to wickedness or criminality (wickedness clearly being the preferred definition here).

No Caption Provided

Maul "focused all his skills and energy to becoming a Sith Lord," is "dedicated to being the most highly trained Sith in the history of the order," and "pushed his Force abilities to the extreme."

No Caption Provided

―Power of the Jedi: Darth Maul Sith Apprentice

Maul had "Sith secrets that could make him all but invincible in battle."

"Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, for their part, recognize Darth Maul as the most dangerous foe they have ever faced: a Sith Lord with not only training to equal their own but Sith secrets that could make him all but invincible in battle."

―Star Wars Miniatures Ultimate Missions: Clone Strike

Maul states that he has "much to learn," but "Not in battle, but in larger strategies," meaning politics and manipulation.

I am content there. I still have much to learn. Not in battle, but in larger strategies. He sees weakness and exploits it. He senses anger and inflames it. His vision takes in a galaxy, with its multitude of planets and governments.

―Episode I Journal: Darth Maul

Maul even trained against Sidious personally, countless times, in fights where Sidious was perfectly willing to kill him if he “couldn’t stand against his Master in a mere training exercise.”

Maul had fought his Master many times, starting when he was little more than a child and continuing through his apprenticeship. His body bore innumerable scars from those duels—lessons in the peril of being too slow or two quick, too weak or too distracted. During Maul’s apprenticeship he had always known that Sidious had been willing to kill him. The Sith had not survived their centuries of exile by being sentimental, and a student who couldn’t stand against his Master in a mere training exercise was worse than useless—he was a waste of valuable resources better used elsewhere. But Maul had never faced his Master when he was actually trying to kill him.

―Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy

“As a Sith apprentice, Maul trained against many foes, from combat droids and savage beasts to the toughest adversary of all―Darth Sidious himself.”

https://imgur.com/w1C0Nuw

In addition, Maul is given full access to the Sith archives and Darth Sidious' holocrons, which he used to create a specialised furnace that he created his lightsaber crystals inside.

This is why I have begun this journal. Someday I hope it will be included in the Sith Archives, joining the stories and legends of the most glorious Sith Lords.

"You are a formidable warrior, Lord Maul, " he tells me. "Now you need a weapon to match. "

He shows me the Sith archives for the first time. He has perused them for long hours and found an overlooked entry. Thousand of years ago, a Sith Lord fashioned a double-ended lightsaber.

My Master points to the entry. "This will be your weapon, Lord Maul. In order to serve me well, you must be invincible. "

He was fully recovered when Sidious summoned him to his private library. He found Sidious examining an ancient pyramidal holocron. Maul knew from his studies that the Holocron was a Sith artifact, used to preserve data.

Sidious glanced at his apprentice. "You are a formidable warrior. Lord Maul. Now you need a weapon to match. I have spent many hours perusing the Sith archives, and I believe I have found something appropriate for your fighting skills." He brushed his fingers along one edge of the holocron, and a moment later, the holocron projected a hologram of a double-ended lightsaber.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

The intensity of his connection to the Force brought back a memory: another day of intense focus of his power. The day he had constructed his lightsaber. Maul was not wont to revisit his past, unless doing so somehow served his master, but the satisfaction of the creation, the perfection of focus and the highly charged connection to the Force that had wrought his weapon stood out now in his memory.

The specialized furnace, which he had created from plans taken from his master's Sith Holocron, had radiated an intense heat as it shaped the synthetic crystals needed for his lightsaber. But rather than leaving the kiln chamber and allowing them to form on their own, he had remained near the device, concentrating on the metamorphosing gems, using the Force to purify and refine the lattice of the molecular matrices.

―Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

On seeing the Zabrak's lightsaber produce two blades, Plagueis drew in his breath. "A saber-staff! The weapon of Exar Kun! Did he construct that?"

"The prototype was two lightsabers he had welded pommel-to-pommel in imitation of the Iridonian zhaboka. I furnished the knowledge that allowed him to improve on the original design and construct the one he is using."

―Darth Plagueis

Maul was noted as being trained by Sidious in both Sith lore and the Jedi arts. He was considered a "perfect Sith weapon" while still an adolescent.

"Where Darth Sidious was a strategist, his fearsome apprentice Darth Maul was a blazing lightsaber aimed directly at the heart of the Jedi Order. A Zabrak born on the world of lridonia, the child who would one day be known as Darth Maul was taken offworld and indoctrinated into the ways of the Dark Side, trained by Darth Sidious in not only Sith lore, but in the Jedi arts. Any display of fear on his part was punished with vicious retribution. Any hint of mercy in his character was rewarded with severe cruelty. One those rare occasions when he relaxed his guard, his master nearly killed him to remind him that a Sith can never afford a moment of rest. After years of this kind of treatment, Darth Maul was absolutely ruthless - a perfect Sith weapon. By the time he reached adolescence, Darth Maul was already a hardened, remorseless killer."

As shown below, Sidious was teaching Maul extensively about Sith history while he was an infant.

"But almost seven thousand years ago, a group of Jedi rebelled against their own kind. The battle that ensued lasted one hundred years. The so-called peacekeepers believed the war was over when they banished the surviving rebels to an uncharted region of the Outer Rim Territories. But the exiles did not meet their end in the Outer Rim. They discovered the Sith species, and they used their powers to conquer the Sith. They became the Sith Lords."

Sidious raised his right hand slowly and examined his fingernails. "Maul, in your studies of history and the galaxy, have you ever come across any datatapes about the Sith Lords?"

Maul had freed his other hand and was now bent at the waist, lifting his torso so he could work on the chains that were biting into his ankles. He glanced at Sidious and replied, "No, Master."

"That's because the Jedi destroyed many records." Sidious flexed his fingers, then lowered his hand to his side. "The early Sith Lords had one ruler, the Dark Lord of the Sith, and their armies were legion. Eventually, they discovered the path back to Republic space and fought the Jedi in the Great Hyperspace War. They lost, but the Sith Lord Naga Sadow survived and managed to preserve his spirit in a tomb."

"Hundreds of years after Sadow's death, a Jedi named Freedon Nadd revived Sadow's spirit. Nadd became the new Dark Lord, and he used his powers to conquer the world Onderon. Following Sadow's example, Freedon Nadd also preserved his own spirit in a tomb. Many centuries later, Nadd's spirit was awakened by the Jedi Exar Kun, who became the next Dark Lord. Exar Kun allied with a wayward Jedi named Ulic Qel-Droma, and together they established a Sith Order ruled by two, a Master and apprentice. These two Dark Lords of the Sith failed to conquer the Jedi because they wound up fighting each other, as did their successors, another pair of former Jedi, named Revan and Malak. History, it seemed, was repeating itself." Sidious looked at Maul, "Am I going too fast for you?"

"No, Master." He was having some difficulty with the chains at his ankles, and he was close enough to the acid that the smell of it was burning his nostrils.

"I neglected to mention that Revan and Malak renamed themselves Darth Revan and Darth Malak. Some historians believe Darth is a contraction of dark and Sith, while others suggest it was a corruption of daritha, an ancient Rakatan word for 'emperor.' In any event, the honorific Darth was introduced to the Sith Lords. Following Revan and Malak, other former Jedi assumed the mantle of Dark Lords... and none learned from their predecessors'яmistakes.

"History look a different turn about a thousand years ago, when yet another former Jedi, named Kaan, rose through the ranks of a new order of self-proclaimed Sith Lords. After Kaan became Dark Lord and united thousands of followers, he tried to avoid the mistakes of his predecessors. To avoid infighting, Kaan proposed that all Sith Lords were equals. Kaan's army became known as the Brotherhood of Darkness."

The droid's pincer lost its grip on the winch's crank. The metal cable slipped half a meter before the droid stopped the crank with another pincer. Maul's body fell and jerked violently in the air. He did not cry out but stayed focused on his shackles as he resumed his slow descent to the acid, which was now closer than he'd anticipated.

"At the Battle of Ruusan." Sidious continued, "the Jedi overwhelmed the Brotherhood of Darkness. With surrender not an option, Kaan crafted a Force-fueled weapon called a thought bomb, which would destroy all Force users within its blast radius. The thought bomb killed Kaan, his army, and many Jedi."

"But one Sith Lord survived. Darth Bane. Bane knew that Kaan had been wrong to believe in strength in numbers. Bane knew that too many Sith Lords resulted in too much envy and competition. Everyone wanted to be the leader, the Dark Lord, and nearly everyone was willing to kill other members of the Brotherhood in order to achieve that goal. And so Bane established the Rule of Two. One Sith Master. One Sith apprentice." Sidious looked at Maul, who was still struggling with the chains, and added. "Any more would be to lose control."

Maul broke free, gripped the chain, and swung out, twisting his body in midair so he landed on his feet beside the acid-filled vat. He faced Sidious. Although he did not know his own age, he was now nearly as tall as Sidious's hip. He said, "Master, do the Sith Lords still exist?"

"I would not rule out the possibility," Sidious said.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

So, it should now be clear that Maul, having been trained by Sidious, has received the highest standard of training possible for a Sith Lord. And what does being trained by the most powerful Sith Lord in history entail?

The Sith spent a thousand years evolving by studying all aspects of the Force, remaking themselves, whereas the Jedi spent a thousand years training to refight the last war against the Sith.

The Sith had changed. The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself, in preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves.

They had become new.

While the Jedi-

The Jedi had spent that same millennium training to refight the last war.

―Revenge of the Sith

Indeed, Sidious notes in addition that the Sith have grown over the course of 7,000 years, and that he has learned from their mistakes. The book in question, the Book of Sith, is an in-universe compendium containing the lessons, studies and insights of Sidious’ most powerful predecessors, who included Sorzus Syn, Darth Malgus, Darth Bane, Mother Talzin and Darth Plagueis.

“These pages unite one of the first Sith Lords with he who shall be the last. Each author’s voice echoes the era in which he or she held power, but the Sith Order has evolved over seven thousand years. The errors made by my predecessors will not be my own.”

―Darth Sidious, Book of the Sith

“In his quest for domination, Darth Sidious tracked down what remained of five pivotal Sith texts written by his most powerful predecessors.”

―Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side: Official Synopsis

In addition, it has been stated that Maul is proof that the Sith are back and "deadlier than ever," and that "bearing the full power of the dark side, Maul is the ultimate Jedi enemy."

No Caption Provided

Therefore, it is easily inferred that Maul at least has knowledge of, if not proficiency in the most esoteric and advanced Force powers the Sith possess. More importantly, his understanding of and training in the dark side is of the absolute highest standard. Later on I will go into the precise implications of this.

As noted earlier, one of Maul’s main purposes was to “kill Jedi.” What people tend to overlook when discussing what makes a good Sith Lord is simply what the purpose of a Sith is, what their goals are. As described below, the Sith warrior is one of the pivotal traditional roles fulfilled by Sith Lords in their order. To quote, “The Sith warrior combines combat mastery with the power of the dark to create a living embodiment of rage and savagery.” The Sith warrior “is dedicated to the conquest and subjugation of any obstacle to the Sith tradition.” Additionally, a Sith warrior aims to be “a blade fearsome enough to cut through the heart of the hated Jedi Order.”

Most notably, “Where other Sith focus on plots and deceptions, the Sith warrior devotes himself to the art of violence.”

The Sith warrior combines combat mastery with the power of the dark side to create a living embodiment of rage and savagery. Physical conditioning and punishing discipline make the Sith warrior into a formidable opponent, and facility with the powers of the dark side add a wicked barb to an otherwise deadly weapon. The Sith warrior is dedicated to the conquest and subjugation of any obstacle to the Sith tradition. Throughout history, a single Sith warrior has usually been more than a match for most Jedi.

[...]

The way of the Sith warrior is a constant, unforgiving test of will and ability, honing each into a blade fearsome enough to cut through the heart of the hated Jedi Order. Every Sith warrior dreams of being the one who will destroy this ancient enemy of the Sith.Where other Sith focus on plots and deceptions, the Sith warrior devotes himself to the art of violence.

[...]

The first Sith warrior identified as such is Darth Maul. By the time he is discovered, he has already made the transition to Sith Lord.

Appropriately, Darth Sidious trained Maul to be "a blazing lightsaber aimed directly at the heart of the Jedi Order," "a perfect Sith weapon," who was trained to "ensure the victory of the Sith over the Jedi Order." The "incredible warrior's" "singular goal" was to "exact revenge upon the Jedi."

"Where Darth Sidious was a strategist, his fearsome apprentice Darth Maul was a blazing lightsaber aimed directly at the heart of the Jedi Order. [...] After years of this kind of treatment, Darth Maul was absolutely ruthless - a perfect Sith weapon. By the time he reached adolescence, Darth Maul was already a hardened, remorseless killer."

A weapon forged by the hateful energies of the dark side to ensure the victory of the Sith over the Jedi Order. A creature of pure evil, Maul had no personality beyond his ultimate devotion to his master, Darth Sidious. His goal was singular-to exact revenge upon the Jedi for the decimation of the Sith ranks.

No one knows how Darth Sidious came across his young and deadly apprentice. He was raised from a young age to be a weapon, tempered by harsh, abusive training to become an incredible warrior.

―The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

The reason I bring this up is that a common misconception people have is that a Sith who does not display a large variety of different Force abilities in combat, like sorcery for instance, must not be a terribly advanced Force user. But as shown above, a Sith warrior who commits himself to combat mastery, which includes the most fundamental and powerful skills, namely physical augmentation, lightsaber mastery, offensive telekinesis and the ability to harness their rage into a weapon, is just as advanced and committed to the goals of the Sith order as those who choose a more cunning approach to combat, by employing less direct powers to undermine their opponents. People often cite Maul’s lack of use of Force lightning as evidence his training is deficient, but as I’ve proven above, this is clearly an invalid argument, and given that no-name Sith, Nightsisters and Dark Jedi have been able to summon lightning with inferior or in fact zero formal training, it’s hardly a mark against Maul that he doesn’t use it. Although, as a tidbit, here is a source which states Maul knows how to use Force lightning.

However, is that to say Maul lacks cunning, lacks knowledge and is merely a warrior? No, because that is not the way of the Banite Sith - they cover all bases. As we’ve already established, Maul has been trained extensively in all forms of Sith arts, and is among the best trained Sith ever, not just as a warrior or even a Force user, but also in deception and strategy. The following quotes will make this abundantly clear.

Dave Filoni has stated that Maul is trained in “all types of Sith ways, not the least of which is manipulation.” He also states that he is “kind of in the Vader-realm” regarding his skill and training (more on that later).

“Maul is a super dangerous threat because he’s been trained for years, he’s really adept, but he’s broken. So he’s kind of in the Vader-realm, and he’s a bit severed from what he knew, which was having a master, but he’s well trained by Sidious in all types of Sith ways, not the least of which is manipulation.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr-6Lfkvxkk&feature=youtu.be&t=2m38s

Filoni has also stated that Sidious “would train [Maul] in his likeness” - being trained in the likeness of the most powerful Sith of all time is undeniable evidence of my point. Filoni goes on to describe Maul’s skills as an “architect,” using his brother to help him build power from the shadows… which is precisely what Sidious and the long line of Bane did with the Rule of Two, that is, train an apprentice from the shadows.

“The root of that though is that if he is a good apprentice to Sidious, Sidious would train him in his likeness really, and teach him what he knows. The Sith by their nature can’t be so overt. He is a deadly weapon because George needed him to be that in Phantom Menace, but he didn’t have the time to get more into who he is. If you listen to the few times he speaks, he is very subservient and he doesn’t come across as someone who is very dim. He comes across really rather sharp which makes your villain that much more effective.

[...]

“He calmed down and better stepped into his body and said “I need to settle myself down and think about this, I need to utilise this brother I have, I need to really do what my master had taught me,” which is work within the shadows and build power slowly and then opportunities will present themselves that he can take advantage of. … to show that he was a good apprentice to Sidious, a cunning apprentice, cause in the end it makes him a lot more dangerous. We already know he can fight, but we’re not clear if he can fight as well as he used to given that he is you know half cybernetic now - like anyone recovering you kind of lean on your other skills, and in this case he has become a bit more of an architect.

https://youtu.be/RGvwH4Z92A0?t=56s

Sam Witwer sums this up perfectly, to quote: “You choose a guy [...] who can carry on the Sith tradition proudly.”

He further states: “You need someone who can work with you and to whom you can pass the baton when the time comes.”

He even states that a theme of Star Wars is: “Sidious trying to find that successor. He thinks he’s found that person in Darth Maul, but then Maul is cut down.”

SW: On The Clone Wars, we had to show that Maul was capable of being a general. Darth Sidious chose him to be his apprentice and trained him well. Maul wasn’t just a mindless hitman.

[...]

HW: Now we get to see that Maul’s actually an intellectual character. He’s not just a blunt instrument, an assassin, like it seemed in the movie.

SW: He had to be. The Sith as a culture realized, “Hey, we’re all bad guys, we don’t work well together, so let’s keep it to two. Otherwise we’ll be killing each other left and right.” So if you follow the Rule of Two, you have to pick your apprentice very carefully.

You don’t just pick a guy because he can do cool flips and swing a sword good. You choose a guy who is brilliant and gifted in so many ways, physically and mentally, and can carry on the Sith tradition proudly. A thuggish hitman would be a hindrance when trying to take over the galaxy. You need someone who can work with you and to whom you can pass the baton when the time comes.

And that’s a theme in the Star Wars saga as a whole. It’s so very much about Sidious trying to find that successor. He thinks he’s found that person in Darth Maul, but then Maul is cut down.

―Sam Witwer, voice actor of Darth Maul from The Clone Wars (http://www.hollywood.com/tv/sam-witwer-on-darth-maul-s-clone-wars-fate-he-s-playing-a-long-game-q-a-57698611/)

Force Knowledge

In this section we’ll look at the implications of what was discussed above, which to recap, was evidence that Maul was trained by the greatest Sith Lord of all time, to the highest standard possible in all areas of the dark side, and had the latent potential to one day surpass Sidious.

Essentially, what we will see below is that people who are far less knowledgeable, well trained and powerful in the dark side than Maul also have proficiency a variety of esoteric powers, which leaves us with one of two possible conclusions to draw: Maul was also trained in these powers, or if he was not trained in them for whatever reason, then being trained in them clearly is not a big deal and is beneath Maul’s notice.

Firstly, even Sidious' Inquisitors from the Rebellion era were "steeped in the lore of the dark side."

No Caption Provided

―The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide

Next we'll be taking a look at Executor Sedriss, who during Dark Empire was the leader of Sidious’ Dark Side adepts. According to Sidious, he “is only a moderate Force-sensitive, a capable errand boy but hardly the stuff of a Sith apprentice.”

“As leader of my Dark Side Adepts, Military Executor Sedriss has been the most loyal, and is commended for reviving me here on Byss. But for all his usefulness, Sedriss is only a moderate Force-sensitive, a capable errand boy but hardly the stuff of a Sith apprentice.”

―Darth Sidious, Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

So clearly, Maul is by any objective standard far beyond Sedriss. And yet, Sedriss, despite being a glorified errand boy, was trained extensively in the Force by Sidious “to wield power the way the Emperor himself did.”

Sedriss underwent extensive training under the Emperor, learning to develop his Force talents to wield power the way the Emperor himself did.

―Dark Side Sourcebook

Notably, I thought I would include that he can defend himself against Sith magic/sorcery, and he attributes this to his skill as a dark side warrior.

"What's the matter, Nefta -- is your magic of no use to you against a dark side warrior?'"

―Sedriss (Dark Empire II #1)

This is congruent with a novice Ulic Qel-Droma no-selling Ommin’s Freedon Nadd-enhanced sorcery, despite having no knowledge in the dark side.

https://imgur.com/a/pToGZ

Therefore, it is more than logical to infer that Maul has extensive knowledge of Sith Sorcery and is more than prepared to deal with it in a fight. We will see further examples below of Maul’s inferiors using sorcery, but first, let’s take a look at what Sedriss’ glorified henchmen are capable of.

The Dark Side adepts Sedriss commands have a limited control of Force Storms.

Force storm: A tornado of energy created by great disturbances in the Force. Dark Side Adepts demonstrated limited control over the creation of these storms.

The adepts were also taught by Sidious on how to use Drain Life, feeding on the energies of others, which allowed them to redirect this power in many ways, either as a weapon or “in the manipulation of molecular structures.”

Using their "science of darkness", they learned to feed on the life energy of others, accumulating Force energy in their own bodies. And they learned to redirect this accumulated power in many ways - either as a weapon or in the manipulation of molecular structures.

―Dark Empire endnotes

Years ago, Emperor Palpatine chose Byss as his private retreat, and Imperial architects and engineers were commissioned to build him an opulent palace. Several million humans were allowed to emigrate to the world, where the Emperor and his adepts used the dark side to feed off their life energies. The planet's population eventually reached almost 20 billion, and all outgoing communications were censored by security agents.

Darth Sidious perfected the Sith Alchemy of Sorzus Syn, the great ancient Sith Sorcerer, and taught this art to Sedriss’ henchmen. They are supposedly capable of “spawning living monstrosities - beasts and intelligent entities,” as well as using their potent skills to “warp life” and create other beings.

Legend says that Adepts of the Dark Side have even succeeded in spawning living monstrosities - beasts and intelligent entities, some unspeakably ugly, some full of malevolent charm and symmetry, all utterly permeated by the power of the Dark Side.

―Dark Empire endnotes

The alchemy developed by Syn is being perfected on Byss, where my Dark Side Adepts join their potent skills to warp life on a broad skills. My monstrous chrysalids, with their magnificent metal-piercing fangs, guard the ramparts of my citadel. My mute Imperial sentinels stand by my throne, their annihilated minds and enslaved wills clear evidence the dark side can manipulate clones for any imaginative purpose. Although alchemy can create perfect beings, I have designed weaknesses into all of these creations. The flaws are minute and known only to me. It would not do for any creature to be stronger than its creator."

―Darth Sidious, The Manipulation of Life

Further detail is given below on the alchemical capabilities of the errand boy’s henchmen, which was done “as part of their training.”

Towering monsters seemingly made of pure muscle, Imperial sentinels were giant brutes who served the Emperor on Byss. Their existence was all but unknown outside the secret facility on Byss, but whispered rumors in the Imperial Court suggested that the sentinels were members of a species that opposed the Emperor in the formative years of the Empire. They were, the rumors insisted, electronically and chemically altered to serve the Emperor they once rebelled against. The truth was somewhat more sinister. Imperial sentinels were potent products of dark side alchemy, mute giants created from tissue stock and shaped into loyal, unquestioning warriors by the Emperor's dark side adepts as part of their training.

These adepts were also capable sorcerers in their own right, becoming “powerful Dark Side magicians.”In the years prior to the Battle of Yavin, Byss was known as the Emperor's Private retreat. Here he began quietly training Dark Side Adepts, initiating men of great intelligence who had committed their lives to his service. None were permitted to ascend to his level of knowledge and proficiency, but the Adepts nonetheless became powerful Dark Side magicians in their own right.

―Dark Empire endnotes

Oh, and they can also teleport.

No Caption Provided

―Empire At War

Next, we can look to Count Dooku and Asajj Ventress as further examples of dark side knowledge Maul should have access to. Dooku learnt all of what he knew about the dark side from Sidious, and Ventress by proxy as well, and Maul was trained using identical resources, so it’s in no way a stretch to imagine he learnt the same techniques.

Both Dooku and Ventress have been seen re-animating the undead using one of Sorzus Syn’s spells.

Then the undead came. Korriban zombies, revived by the Sith to guard the tombs. Anakin had read about them, but never thought he'd see them; the Sith must have activated them to defend Omega and the sacred Sith ground. The zombies were used to eating the flesh from the tombs; now they had living targets in mind. And they had blasters and detonators to make the kill. They came careening out of the darkness now, different species but all moving with the same odd, lurching gait... the air came alive with smoke and fire.

―Jedi Quest: The Final Showdown

Ventress reanimates dead Gungan soldiers

Obi-Wan and the Padawan Zule found themselves stretched yet further when Ventress used the Force to re-animate some deceased Gungans to act as her undead army.

―Star Wars Fact File 111

What is worthy of note is that Asajj believes all Dooku has taught her is “Scraps. Little devices. Lesser arts. Not nearly what you would if I were your apprentice sworn in blood” - and not even being formally recognised as a Sith, she is quite right.

"Have I not taught you many secrets, Asajj?"

"Scraps. Little devices. Lesser arts. Not nearly what you would if I were your apprentice sworn in blood, I know. I am no fool," she said angrily. As if he didn't know that. As if she needed to convince him she was deadly. "I have learned much about the Sith. Their lineage and their greatness."

"But what of their natural history?" Dooku said. Ventress blinked. "What?"

"The Sith, considered as a species. An insect, perhaps." Asajj's thin lips got thinner. "You mock me."

"I have rarely been more serious." The Count paced over to a shelf of holocrons on the wall, plucked one out, and inserted it into the comm cube on his desk.

―Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

In the album below is a list of some of Sorzus’ spells, and of particular note is her “Reanimate dead spell”, the one shown above. It is noted as being a complex spell and an example of the melded perfection of Sith alchemy and sorcery. What this means is that Ventress felt like she was being taught “lesser arts” and “little devices”, when really she was being taught some of Sorzus’ more advanced spells. All in all they include:

• Bolt of Hatred
  • Dark Side Web
  • Suppress Thought
  • Summon Demon
  • Reanimated Dead

https://imgur.com/a/4iUUr

―Book of Sith

Dooku set several Dark Energy Traps on Korriban. One such trap cages Anakin Skywalker and several other Jedi, with Skywalker being unable to break out with his lightsaber.

He focused so much on his Master, on his need to catch him, that he blundered into an energy trap.

Anakin was caught. He couldn't move. Frustrated, enraged, he slashed at the invisible cage with his lightsaber. He could not free himself. He kicked. He hammered. Caught.

He had met a power greater than his. Impossible!"

Master!" he called, but Obi-Wan didn't hear him. The energy trap sucked his voice out of the air and imprisoned it.

I just need the Force. Obi-Wan said a Master can summon the Force and fight this. I am as good as a Master. I can do this.

Strange, though. He could reach out for the Force, but visions got in the way. And not visions from the dark side. Visions of what had just happened. Tru's mouth, open in a howl of anguish and disbelief. Darra, falling, eyes wide with the shock.

[...]

Anakin beat at the trap again. He felt the rage rise inside him. He knew the rage was interfering with the Force, but he couldn't control it. If only... if only he could use the rage. But that was something a Jedi should not do.The frustration boiled in him. He could not move. His Master was gone now, into the darkness.

Dooku has also created illusions of Sith Lords, which is confirmed by the fact that the visions dissipate upon Dooku's retreat following the death of Granta Omega. Dooku also creates a vision of Shmi Skywalker in Anakin's head, as well as a vision of Qui-Gon in Obi-Wan's mind, although Obi-Wan realizes this.

Then the darkness came alive with visions. The Sith Lords, mighty in their armor, terrifying in their decaying, bloodied faces. They rushed at the Jedi, only to disappear in a shower of splintered shadow.

Anakin saw Shmi rise and fall, rise and fall. He felt the familiar need, the familiar guilt. The feelings overwhelmed him and Obi-Wan had to leap in front of him to protect him from a detonator heading his way. Obi-Wan swiped it out of the air.

Obi-Wan shouldn't have been surprised when the visions of the Sith Lords faded and he saw Qui-Gon. But he was. He should have known the Sith were capable of drawing his most painful memory from within him.

Qui-Gon, with a gaping wound in his chest where Darth Maul had struck.

"You were always so afraid of disappointing me," Qui-Gon said. "And you have."

Obi-Wan stopped. His lightsaber dangled in his hand.

It's not real. It's not real.

"You've failed me, Obi-Wan."

Not.. real.

"And you don't even know why."

Obi-Wan took a breath. He walked forward, straight at Qui-Gon. The image disappeared.

Shaken, he continued into the darkness. Now it was easier to walk past the Sith Lords, the visions who snarled and hissed and sent out grasping fingers as he walked past. He had seen the worst.

Something rushed out, as if a great power had removed its protection from Omega.

The visions of the Sith Lords faded. The dark side of the Force retreated. The Sith would not be found. Obi-Wan knew he had withdrawn both his presence and his protection.

While we’re discussing Dooku, let’s look at some accolades for him. He was Yoda’s greatest student, most learned in the ways of the Force.

"Hm." Yoda stirred again with his stick. "Then best of all would be the strongest student, yes? Wisest? Most learned in the ways of the Force?" He nodded. "Best of all, Dooku would be!" His eyes found the other Jedi, one by one: and one by one, they looked away. "Our greatest student!" Yoda's ears flexed, then dropped. "Our greatest failure."

―Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

Having this praise heaped upon him is impressive when you consider that Mace Windu, who is for all intents and purposes Dooku’s peer, was considered alongside Yoda to be the most powerful Jedi to ever walk in the corridors of the Temple.

Alongside Mace Windu, with whom he served on the Jedi Council, Yoda was the most respected and most powerful Master ever to have walked the corridors of the Jedi Temple.

—Star Wars Fact Files

Also worthy of note is that "in preparation" for Dooku's transformation into a Sith Lord (which occurred between the events of TPM and AotC), Dooku read the Dark Holocron the same holocron that was in the possession of Naga Sadow, Odan-Urr and then Exar Kun millennia prior. It is one of the most ancient and powerful of the Sith holocrons, said to contain teachings that covered "some hundred thousand years."

Jealous of Dooku's fortune at having been chosen as an apprentice by Jedi Master Thame Cerulian, Nod tried to convince Dooku to access the Temple's forbidden Sith Holocron. Although Dooku was intrigued by the secrets of the Sith artifact (and would in fact steal the device decades later), he refused.

―The Official Star Wars Fact File #116

The most powerful Sith Holocron contained Sith teachings and histories that covered some hundred thousand years... The Dark Holocron was taken by Jedi Lorian Nod, who maintained that he saw "true evil" when he accessed the device. Motivated by Nod's claims, Dooku later used the Sith Holocron as well, unlocking its secrets in preparation for his transformation into Darth Tyranus.

―The New Essential Guide to Weapons & Technology

"Locked within it's recesses, accessible only to a Dark Lord of the Sith, are the forgotten histories and lore, dating back a hundred thousand years and more."

Odan-Urr, Tales of the Jedi

This holocron was so powerful that it made Exar Kun, who already had harvested the culminated knowledge of Naga Sadow and Freedon Nadd, and who was already the reigning, most powerful Dark Lord of the Sith of his lineage, even more powerful.

Odan-Urr goes to the Force and the darkest power in the galaxy walks away with something that will make him even stronger.

Tales of the Jedi

So, with all of that in mind for pre-Sith Dooku... Dooku saw quite a dramatic increase in power after training under Sidious, who “introduced Dooku to realms of power beyond his most spectacular fantasies”

Not only had the Dark Lord introduced Dooku to realms of power beyond his most spectacular fantasies, but Sidious was also a political manipulator so subtle that his abilities might be considered to dwarf even the power of the dark side itself.

―Revenge of the Sith

Given that Maul received the same training from the same master, and as per numerous sources was trained as extensively and extremely in all Sith arts possible by Sidious, it speaks volumes of his mastery of the Force if what he and Dooku learned is enough to blow the mind of Jedi Dooku, who is in the highest echelons of Force knowledge. Indeed, Maul's mastery and knowledge of the Dark Side seems to transcend even that of the Dark Holocron and is enough to blow Dooku away, despite him being among the three most powerful and knowledgeable Jedi to have ever walked the temple, with Yoda going as far as to say he was more learned in the Force than anyone else (bar himself).

Also as another point about Dooku, it is stated that when looking for a new apprentice, Sidious chose Count Dooku because he "already has the training he needs," that is he is someone who is experienced enough that he does not need to train him from the ground up. This shows that Maul's position was one reserved only for those with a wealth of knowledge and experience, which Dooku had, being Yoda's most gifted and learned student.

"Soon after his departure, though Count Dooku is visited by the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Sidious. The loss of Sith Lord's former apprentice, Darth Maul, motivates Sidious to seek out a new apprentice, a convert who already has the training he needs - and who can be turned to the Dark Side."

The abilities documented by Darth Bane in his contribution to the Book of Sith are also of worthy of note. Again, there is no doubt Maul was granted knowledge of these powers considering Dooku was given access to them, who in turn granted access to Quinlan Vos, a lowly dark Jedi, who like Ventress dabbled in these powers as shown by his scribbling on the page.

These powers include:

• Inertia
  • Blind
  • Lightning
  • Convection
  • Cryokinesis
  • Drain Life
  • Death Field
  • Mind Shard
  • Memory Walk
  • Hatred
  • Horror
  • Crucitorn

https://imgur.com/a/6RBpx

―Book of Sith

Also worthy of note is Mighella, one of the most powerful witches of Dathomir.

One of the more powerful witches of Dathomir, she was taken from Dathomir by Alexi Garyn, the leader of the criminal organization Black Sun, to serve as his personal bodyguard.

―Star Wars: The Complete Encylopedia

When she sensed Maul, he was unlike anything she had ever felt. She immediately felt confident he would kill the legions of soldiers guarding Alexi Garyn, and she was correct.

“He’s here. There’s a disturbance in the Force.”

“In the Force? Meaning what? Our mystery assassin is some kind of Jedi?”

“Not a Jedi. He’s… I’ve never felt anything like this.”

“Well, whatever his nature, he’s really no concern. He’ll be dead soon enough. My fortress is guarded by the elite of the Black Sun, trained killers from every end of the galaxy. They will stop him.”

“No. They won’t.”

―Mighella and Alexi Garyn (Star Wars: Darth Maul)

Maul defeated her handily, and even walked through her Force Lightning. He regards her with contempt, stating she understands little. When Mighella is defeated she finally understands that he is a Sith, and that’s why she had no chance against him.

https://imgur.com/8NAxgOX

“Do you know what I am?”

“A Nightsister. A witch of Dathomir, skilled in the use of the Dark Side of the Force. You understand so little.”

“Do I? You’ve never faced my kind before.”

“No, you’ve never faced my kind before.”

“We’ll see.”

[...]

“You know nothing of the Dark Side.”

“How can you… resist… I know. I know what you must be.”

―Mighella and Darth Maul (Star Wars: Darth Maul)

True enough, the Ultimate Visual Guide confirms that Maul has “far superior Dark Side knowledge” to one of Dathomir’s most powerful witches.

Mighella attempts to use an energized sword to stop Darth Maul, then surprises him with a burst of Force Lightning. A moment after Mighella realizes her opponent is a Sith Lord with far superior Dark Side knowledge, she is felled by a lethal slash of Maul's lightsaber.

―The Ultimate Visual Guide

So, now that we know it’s safe to infer that Maul either has knowledge of the same powers as Mighella, or that any powers she knows are insignificant compared to Maul’s own, let’s look at some of the powers wielded by Nightsisters like her.

Nightsisters have “withstood Yoda and others like him,” and “can become remarkably powerful.”

“Yoda had been a greater Jedi Master than Luke ever hoped to be, yet the witches had withstood him and others like him.”

―The Courtship of Princess Leia

Of all the primitive cultures of dark side Force-users, the Nightsisters of Dathomir are among the most infamous. Priding themselves on their cruelty and barbarism, these dark Force witches and others like them can become remarkably powerful.”

Nightsisters have access to many forms of Dathomirian magic, one of which is known as “Shadow Magic”, which similar to Sith Sorcery employs spells, where the Nightsister gathers energy and uses it to create a chosen effect.“

Like all forms of Dathomiran "magic," Shadow Magic employs spells that allow the sister to gather the energy of the Force to her. She can then use its strength to create the desired effect.”

―Cracken’s Threat Dossier

Nightsisters can also bend their environment to their will, calling wind, rain and lightning, climb on vertical surfaces and dominate the weak minded.

"Where light side Force witches learned to work with their environment, the Nightsisters bent the environment to their will, and were able to call forth rain, wind, and lightning, to climb spiderlike on vertical surfaces, and to control the weak-minded like virtual puppets."

They are also skilled in beast control, dominating rancors and using them as mounts, and also know how to shapeshift.

As girls you learned to speak with our planet's native rancors and ride them.

―Book of Sith

Dathomir witches ride black horses―both are capable of shapeshifting.

―Book of Sith

So to summarise, Maul’s knowledge of the Force, training and power is far superior to the likes of Sedriss, the dark side adepts and Nightsisters, all of whom employ some of the rarest and most complex Force abilities, including Drain Life, Sith Sorcery, Force Storm, Alter Environment, Sith Alchemy and Teleportation, and he has received at least equivalent training to Count Dooku and Darth Bane who can employ a variety of devastating powers including Sith Sorcery, many extremely powerful telepathic attacks, Convection and Cryokinesis, and even relative dark side amateurs such as Quinlan Vos and Asajj Ventress have been taught select powers from Sidious’ Book of Sith, with Ventress even mastering one of Sorzus Syn’s most complex spells, despite comparing the knowledge Dooku had taught her “lesser arts” and “scraps,” unlike anything one would teach a real Sith apprentice.

Now that you are fully aware of the extent of Maul’s potential, power, training and knowledge in the dark side, I’m going to be showcasing his best feats and explaining their full implications.

Orsis Barracks Feat

Going in chronological order, we’ll go back to when Maul was just 15 years old, not even finished studying at the Orsis academy, let alone his training to become a Sith Lord. He came back from a training session with his master, and should his pent up rage have been released after cutting his hand with a vibroblade, he would have brought down the building he was inside with a Force Scream.

Merely imagining it set his fingers trembling, and abruptly the tool slipped from its tenuous hold in the socket and stabbed deeply into the palm of his opposite hand, opening a small wound and bursting the dam of his pent-up emotion. Maul’s clenched right hand slammed down on the table, shattering its surface, and the vibroblade took flight, nearly impaling itself in his head. Straightening, he bared his filed teeth and tensed his body, close to loosing a scream that would have brought the barracks down around him.

―Restraint

In order to get an idea of the size of the barracks we need only defer to the source material, which tells us that the Orsis Academy has at any given time 500 students in addition to staff members. In addition, the students appear to have high-grade accommodation (which makes sense given Orsis is a galaxy-renowned training facility used by the best), because they share rooms of two (unlike the one-large-room military style), the barracks have stations for mechanical work, and in the instructor’s quarters they have a fireplace - all going towards indicating that these are large facilities made from space-age building materials.

"Right now." Trezza said, "we have just over five hundred cadets

[...]

Maul opened the door and stepped into the office. Trezza was seated behind his massive desk. Kilindi stood before him. And Meltch Krakko stood on the far side of the room, near an open fireplace.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

He was picking up the pieces of his short-lived fit—collecting the knife and the far-flung tools—when two of his fellow trainees entered the barracks.

The taller and older of the pair, Kilindi Matako, scanned the room, taking in the dismantled vibroblade, the table’s crazed top, and the fresh blood dripping from Maul’s punctured left hand.

―Restraint

In fact, you can infer the barracks is in fact one large building which holds hundreds of cadets at a time, or least one of a series of large buildings, because Maul notes that “most of the [500] cadets would already be asleep in the barracks,” and he then goes from room to room killing them (long story), which suggests he isn’t going from building to building.

He moved quickly and quietly through the courtyards and buildings. First, he killed the Academy's sentries, and then the security guards posted outside the training rooms and barracks. He used the Force when it was most efficient, and his bare hands whenever it pleased him. Knowing that most of the cadets would already be asleep in the barracks, he went noiselessly from one darkened room to the next, leaving a trail of death.

He entered the room shared by Kilindi and Daleen. Kilindi's bunk was empty. Daleen's wasn't. Daleen was snoring lightly. A moment later, her life had ended, and Maul was moving out the door. He took no comfort from Kilindi's absence. He knew he would find her.

When he arrived upon the sleeping forms of the Rodians Hubnutz and Fretch, he woke them before he broke their necks

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

And as a stroppy 15 year old, Maul’s unfocused, omni-directional scream was going to bring this huge building made from space-age building materials down all around him.

That’s good on it’s own, but then, what if I told you Maul achieved a state of rage-induced power that made this look a mild annoyance just two years later? Just prior to Maul being anointed as a Sith Lord, he had gone through a month-long trial that left him sleep-deprived, starved, battered and suffering from a festering blaster-wound. Despite that, he was so enraged at the lie that Sidious had trained another apprentice that “a rage unlike anything he had ever felt before swelled through him,” such that he “felt so powerful that he believed he could accomplish anything.”

Maul realized his opponents had not really been the assassin droids. He thought of all the punishment he had endured over the past month, and then of the unending punishments of his entire life. He thought of his true opponent, the unseen adversary, chosen by Sidious to become a Sith Lord. Maul felt robbed of his past and future. And then a rage unlike anything he had ever felt before swelled through him. The rage was so overwhelming that he thought it might consume him.

No. I can direct it. My rage will consume my enemy. It will consume my Master. Glaring at Sidious, Maul saw the true face of his enemy.

Sidious snickered. "Can you understand? Focus. If there can be only one apprentice, then one of you must die. Who do you think I have chosen to die, Maul?"

Maul felt his rage flowing through his veins, pumping energy into every muscle. He felt so powerful that he believed he could accomplish anything.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

Therefore Maul, not even as a Sith Lord, in horrendous physical condition, was able to draw on far more power than he had two years prior when he was about to bring down a giant building.

There are a multitude of quotes between the time he can destroy the barracks and The Phantom Menace (seven years apart) stating that Maul’s power was growing. When he meditates he always comes out of it stronger.

When Maul finished with the tree, he reluctantly returned the lightsaber lo his Master. Sidious said, "Now, it is time for you to meditate."

"Yes, Master." Maul turned and walked out of the grove, heading into the neighboring field. Sidious had trained him to relax his mind and body by closing his eyes and visualizing a dark, comfortable nothingness, leaving himself open to the power of the Force. Maul enjoyed meditating. It always left him feeling stronger.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

After the “Gora,” a week-long survival challenge he completed just after the barracks feat, “He felt he was one with the dark side of the Force.”

Night had long fallen by the time be reached the Academy's perimeter, and he felt very different from the cadet he had been when he left to begin the Gora. Now, his education seemed ages behind him. He felt he was one with the dark side of the Force.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

Over the course of two years, between the ages of fifteen (barracks) and seventeen (unprecedented rage), Maul’s connection to the dark side strengthened further, as he began to sense that his control over his Force powers were “close to perfect." This indicates a huge difference in power.

Maul moved with Sidious to Coruscant, where Sidious had long kept a secret lair in a skyscraper in an industrial area. Maul spent the next two years carrying out a series of secret missions for his Master. The missions were conceived to help Sidious gain power without others ever knowing of his existence. By the end of those two years, Maul had repeatedly proven that he was as strong as he was fast, and that he would never break. He also sensed that his control of the darkness that fueled the Force was close to perfect.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

So it is not my age that tells my Master I am ready, but my abilities. I know I am strong and fast and I never break. My control of the darkness that fuels the Force is close to perfect.

Maul “felt stronger than ever before,” (which should include his mega-rage, no?), “empowered by a sense of purpose” after becoming a Sith Lord.

"From this day forward." Sidious said," you are a Sith Lord. You have chosen a path of darkness, the path of power. You are Lord Maul. You are my instrument."

[...]

Sidious and Maul returned to Coruscant, where a medical droid tended to Maul’s injuries. Maul had felt drained by his trials on Hypori, but within several days he felt stronger than ever before. Now that he was a Sith Lord, he was empowered by a sense of purpose.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

During the years leading up to TPM, Maul spent any time he had outside of completing missions meditating on the Force and training, all of which would have focused his power further.

"Take the Infiltrator and your combat droids and return to your former home. There, train and meditate until I recall you."

―Darth Sidious (Darth Plagueis)

Sidious believed that Maul’s power continued to intensify over time, and that his heart was a reactor of pure, distilled rage.

The Sith Lord harbored no delusions about his apprentice’s ambition or pride, or how closely those elements were linked to the anger that was constantly sweltering inside his apprentice, fermenting as Maul’s power continued to intensify. Locked in unswerving allegiance to their cause, the Zabrak’s heart was a reactor of pure, distilled rage.

―Maul: Lockdown

Finally and most notably, Maul himself states that after becoming a Sith Lord at 17, he was "only beginning to taste the dark power of a Sith" - indicating that any power he had felt up to that time was insignificant compared to the power he had access to during The Phantom Menace.

My Master points to the entry. "This will be your weapon, Lord Maul. In order to serve me well, you must be invincible. "

He tells me I must build it myself so that I know it intimately. It shall be fitted to my hand, balanced for my stroke. I shall train with it until it is part of me. And then I will join him on the greatest mission of all.

"What is that, Master?" I dare to ask.

"The domination of the entire galaxy, " he tells me.

That day, I feel a savage exhilaration close to the joy I feel in battle. I am involved in great things. Domination. Control.

I am only beginning to taste the dark power of a Sith.

So to sum up:

• The Orsis barracks by all available evidence is made from highly durable space-age materials and is large enough to house most of the cadets at the academy, of which there was five hundred.
  • One week after the barracks feat, Maul's power had grown from the Gora such that he "felt he was one with the Dark Side."
  • Two years after this he believed his control over his powers was "close to perfect," indicating another large increase in power.
  • After completing his month+ long Sith Lord trial, his greatest challenge, he felt "stronger than ever before."
  • After spending five more years of intense training and completing missions, where his power was stated to intensify throughout, Maul states that he "was only beginning to taste the dark power of a Sith," when he had completed his Sith Lord trial.

Therefore, Maul is a casual large-building buster; both because an omnidirectional scream is inefficient use of energy, and he was not even beginning to tap into the power he had during The Phantom Menace.

Cheating Death

Next up we’ll be discussing why Maul surviving being cut in half, plummeting down a reactor shaft and being left to rot in a cave on a junk planet for 12 years dining on nothing but raw vermin is one of the greatest feats of dark side mastery in Star Wars.

First, let’s review what actually happened, starting with a first-person reaction from Maul. After being cut in half and falling down the reactor shaft, he remained conscious even after hitting his head off the wall, then reaching out with the Force was able to find purchase in a vent and slide through it.

Maul grunted involuntarily as every nerve in his body went into shock. His vision blurred and he blinked his eyes, trying to regain his focus. He wanted to fight back. He wanted to slay Obi-Wan, but his body would not obey him. Оbi-Wan slid out of his range of vision, and then Maul saw the chamber's ceiling. He realized he was falling backwards into the core.

No.

And as he fell, the upper half of his body separated from the lower.

No.

As his remains tumbled down the generator shaft, he kept his eyes open and fought to remain conscious. But then his head struck the shaft's wall, and everything went dark.

No!

His mind screamed. Despite everything he had learned about death and duty from his Master, Maul knew he was not yet ready to die. Not after so many years of training, and with so much more to accomplish. Not so long as he still had so much hatred within him.

Оbi-Wan ruined me!

He willed himself to see. A moment later, his vision returned. The shaft's walls were a disorienting blur. Across the shaft he sighted his own black-clad legs, scissoring lifelessly at the air as they fell. He struggled to right his torso so he could see downward.

Can't die!

He fell past an oval shadow, and then a similar shadow raced by, along with a whooshing sound. Maul hoped that there was at least one more vent below, that it would be large enough to accommodate his diminished body. He extended his arms, and his left hand's fingertips suddenly burned with friction as they brushed against the cylindrical wall.

Must live!

Hoping, wishing, praying for one more air vent …

Must kill Obi-Wan!

… he reached out with the Force.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

As shown in the album below, when Maul ended up on the junk planet, he crawled his way to a cave, using saber throw on the way, and then when inside used Mechu-Deru to create functioning spider-prosthesis out of junk metal.

https://imgur.com/a/JiYut

Maul lost his sanity while on Lotho Minor for over a decade.

He knew that he wasn’t a man anymore, that he hadn’t been one for years. He was just a creature in a filthy tunnel.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

More than a decade had passed since the skirmish that had become known as the Battle of Naboo. The creature that had once been Darth Maul moved on his spiderlike droid legs through a tunnel on the planet Lotho Minor. He still didn't know how long he'd been in the tunnel, or how or when he'd arrived on such a dismal world. He still remembered nothing about his life before, when he lived aboveground. All he had left were his anger and his hunger.

―The Wrath of Darth Maul

How was Maul able to do this? It was not solely an “endurance feat” - it is unheard of for anyone without the Force surviving such an injury, it’s unprecedented even amongst Force users. His survival was fully attributed to his use of the dark side - he cheated death and kept himself alive purely by drawing on the Force.

“My hatred kept my spirit intact even though my body was not. Yet I was lost and became a rabid animal, and such is how you found me, brother, discarded.”

―Darth Maul (The Clone Wars Season 4 Episode 22: Revenge)

“You may have forgotten me, but I will never forget you. You cannot imagine the depths I would go to, to stay alive, fueled by my singular hatred of you.”

―Darth Maul To Obi-Wan Kenobi (The Clone Wars Season 4 Episode 22: Revenge)

Obi-Wan Kenobi rightly attributes his survival to his powerful rage and his knowledge of the Dark Side, “he simply refused to die.”

“I still don’t understand how that Sith Lord could even be alive… you cut him in half, Master Kenobi -- not to mention he fell down a reactor shaft.”

“Yes, Tatsu. Only one consumed by the Dark Side of the Force would cling to life so tenaciously. The Sith crave life above all else, Padawan… they wish to control it, dominate it, and thus cling to it with every fiber of their being. I believe Maul’s rage was so powerful, and his knowledge of the Dark Side so great, he simply refused to die…”

―Tatsu & Obi-Wan Kenobi (The Clone Wars: The Sith Hunters)

Jedi Master Salmara rightly concludes that Maul’s rage fueled him to keep him alive, and that the experience left him stronger than before.

"Hatred is a hard thing to kill. Darth Maul is a being consumed by hatred. I imagine this hatred -- this rage -- fueled him and kept him alive... and somewhere, somehow, that rage grew. As hard as it is to comprehend, padawan, coming back from near death may have made the Sith Lord stronger... and even more dangerous.”

―Jedi Master Salmara (Darth Maul: Death Sentence)

It is again reiterated that it was Maul’s rage which sustained his body.

Maul should have died that day, but his rage and hatred had allowed him to fight back against fate, to summon the Force and survive. He had fallen, but he had lived. Somehow he had survived, making way across the Outer Rim to the junk piles of Lotho Minor. There he had dwelled amid trash and madness remembering only that he’d been ruined and cheated.

―Darth Maul Shadow Conspiracy

Though Maul was horribly maimed in his battle with Kenobi, his unquenchable rage allowed him to survive, even as he was driven half-mad by pain and fury.

―Darth Maul: Death Sentence

In the years following his defeat at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi, the rage that sustained Maul’s body also consumed his sanity.

―The Clone Wars: The Sith Hunters

To give an idea of how insane this feat is, Darth Plagueis, easily one of the most powerful Sith, was nearly killed by non-Force sensitive assassins who had slashed his trachea and part of his face off, causing severe blood loss and two of his hearts to fail. It took great effort even for such a powerful Sith to fend off their attacks while devoting energy to keeping himself alive.

Plagueis pressed his right hand to the right side of his neck to discover that a disk had made off with a considerable hunk of his jawbone and neck, and in its cruel passing had severed his trachea and several blood vessels.

[...]

With blood welling out from under Plagueis's cupped right hand and glistening in a pool on the floor beneath his neck, they had taken him for dead.

[...]

Not a meter away stood 11-4D, five decapitator disks protruding from his alloy body and telltale lights blinking, in the midst of a self-diagnosis routine. Having run himself through a similar test, Plagueis knew that he had lost a great deal of blood, and that one of his subsidiary hearts was in fibrillation. Sith techniques had helped him perform chemical cardioversions on his other two hearts, but one of them was working so hard to compensate that it, too, was in danger of becoming arrhythmic. Plagueis moved his eyes just enough to fix the locations of some of the two dozen assassins that had survived the Sun Guards’ counterattack; then he dug deep into the Force and catapulted himself to his feet.

The closest of the assassins swung to him with raised vibroblades and rushed forward, only to be flung backward off the canted stage and against the room's curved walls. Others Plagueis felled with his hands by snapping necks and putting his fists through armored torsos. Spreading his arms wide, he clapped his hands together, turning every loose object in the vicinity into a deadly projectile.

[...]

His second subsidiary heart failed, paralyzing him with pain and nearly plunging him into unconsciousness. The assassins wasted not a moment, throwing themselves at him in groups, though in a vain attempt to penetrate the Force shield he raised. Again he rallied, this time with a ragged sound dredged from deep inside that erupted from him like a sonic weapon, shattering the eardrums of those within ten meters and compelling the rest to bring their hands to their ears.

In blinding motion his hands and feet smashed skulls and windpipes. He stopped once to conjure a Force wave that all but atomized the bodies of six Maladians. He spun through a turn, dragging the wave halfway around the room to kill half a dozen more.

[...]

But even that wasn't enough to deter his assailants. They flew against him again, making the most of his momentary weakness to open gashes on his arms and shoulders. Down on one knee, he levitated a Sun Guard blaster from the floor and called it toward him; but one of the assassins succeeded in altering its trajectory by hurling himself into the path of the airborne weapon.

With nothing more than the Force of his mind, Plagueis rattled the floor, knocking some of the assassins off their feet, but others rushed in to take their places, slashing at him with their vibroblades from every angle. He knew that he had life enough to conjure one final counteroffensive. He was a moment from loosing hell on the Maladians when he sensed Sidious enter the room.

―Darth Plagueis

Darth Caedus, another of the most powerful Sith in Star Wars, went from being far more powerful than Jaina Solo to a rough equal to her due to the following injuries: shot in the shoulder, amputated arm and stabbed in the gut.

Even Luke did not know the full of extent of Caedus's powers, and Jaina had no illusions about being her brother's equal in terms of Force strength. If it came down to a straight Force battle, she would die. It was that simple.

―Legacy of the Force: Invincible

"That's not really news, Mirta," Jaina said. "Maybe not even true. He's magnitudes stronger than me in the Force. All I've got on him is five weeks of Mandalorian commando training."

But the second pellet, the one that didn't miss, caught Caedus in the shoulder and sent him spinning.[...]Caedus was on his feet again, dancing back and forth, his wounded arm hanging limp at his side, wielding his lightsaber one-handed and still deflecting everything that Vatok and the other Mandalorian were pouring down toward the Moffs.

She simply heard a voice-Jacen's voice-cry out in shock and pain; then an arm landed on her boots. In the next instant Caedus was whirling away, screaming and flapping a red stump, and something hot and wet splashed across Jaina's face and throat and began to burn like acid.

Jaina's pain-clouded mind did not understand how he could take a lightsaber through the gut and do that. Why didn't Caedus just lie down and die like most people? Didn't he understand she was trying to do him a favor?

To show the difference between beings like Caedus and Plagueis and weaker ones; consider that Qui-Gon Jinn, one of the most powerful Jedi of his time, died shortly after being stabbed in the gut, as did Savage Opress, and Darth Talon had to be put in a healing meditation for a long period of time in order to heal.

https://imgur.com/a/7DNgm

Sam Witwer has also said that Maul being cut in half and surviving “plants the seed in Palpatine’s head” that Vader could survive his injuries from Mustafar as well. He states that common wisdom would be that someone would die from injuries as severe as Vader’s, but after seeing Maul survive, it showed Sidious what was possible - and showing the most powerful Sith of all time new limits to what you can achieve with the Force is nothing to scoff at. It’s fairly self-evident, too, seeing as everybody had accepted Maul was dead.

SW: So, it’s the perfectionist streak that Palpatine has. And what’s really fun to note is that Darth Maul, having survived his grievous injuries, plants the seed in Palpatine’s head that maybe you don’t give up on these guys so quickly. If they’re dead, or you think they’ve been killed, maybe they’re not. Maybe they can survive, maybe they can amount to something. That’s something we get to see coming up, Sidious realizing that. That ultimately leads to Darth Vader.

HW: Yeah, I mean why did Palpatine still think Vader could be a worthwhile apprentice after his little brush with molten lava?

SW: Common wisdom would be, you find this guy lying by a volcano, his flesh smoking and burned up, with no limbs, and you’d say, “Hey stormtrooper, put a blaster bolt in this guy. Put him out of his misery.” You don’t rebuild that guy. That’s ridiculous. Unless maybe you’ve already seen a guy getting cut in half and crawling through garbage for ten years, clinging to life with every ounce of determination he has. That’s the nature of the Sith, they don’t see anything beyond their corporeal existence.

―Sam Witwer, voice actor of Darth Maul from The Clone Wars

http://www.hollywood.com/tv/sam-witwer-on-darth-maul-s-clone-wars-fate-he-s-playing-a-long-game-q-a-57698611/

Maul’s Superiority To Mid-Clone Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi

After Maul returned, he showed that he could easily breech the Force defences of Obi-Wan Kenobi, leaving him incapacitated. He stated that he could have killed him easily but instead wanted to torture him. He has also ragdolled Obi-Wan during their duel on Florrum.

https://imgur.com/a/qi5Ne

Before going into exactly how impressive this feat is, it’s important to point out that Maul even as of The Phantom Menace had enough power to do this. This is because after his body and mind were restored by Mother Talzin, he had only been restored to his “former power,” and in addition, Filoni has stated that he needed time to recover afterwards.

Savage took his wounded brother to their homeworld of Dathomir, where Mother Talzin used her strange powers to heal his ravaged mind… and make his ruined body whole. Restored to his former power, the Sith Lord had only one desire… Revenge!

We already know he can fight, but we’re not clear if he can fight as well as he used to given that he is you know half cybernetic now - like anyone recovering you kind of lean on your other skills, and in this case he has become a bit more of an architect.

https://youtu.be/RGvwH4Z92A0?t=3m23s

While Obi-Wan may not need any introduction, I still think it’s worthwhile posting some of his most impressive feats to get an understanding of how ludicrously powerful you need to be to just choke this guy like he’s nothing. People seem to take Kenobi's power for granted when, in reality, he has better feats than most of the high-profile characters that people think can ragdoll him.

He can make a giant wave by reaching out to “every molecule of water,” water being extremely heavy at 1kg per litre.

Using the Force, Obi-Wan created a wave behind them. He reached out to every molecule of water, calling on the Force to bind them into a giant, cresting black wave.

―The Desperate Mission

He forms a cocoon of light around a starship, then manipulates it throughout the journey from Coruscant to the Outer Rim and lands it in a docking bay.

Sinking into the Force, he gathered its measureless power to him. Felt the light fill him, sparkling in his blood. Once he was supremely centered, aware of himself and his place in the universe, aware of Organa's place, the duet they sang within the Force's living glory, he extended his senses and control. Wrapped them around the struggling starship, the gliding brick, and cradled it in a cocoon of pure light-side energy. Immediately the ship's sluggish inertia smoothed. Became malleable. Frictionless now, and rendered opaque to any prying eyes that might be watching, it floated toward their target, the space station.

"What the kriff?" Startled, Organa almost let go of the helm controls.

He felt himself smile. "Relax, Senator. There's no need to worry."

"Easy for you to say," Organa muttered. "What are you doing?"

"Think of me as your copilot," he replied. "And be calm."

Floating within himself, suffused with the Force, the source of every comfort and joy, he poured more control through the skin and bones of the ship, exerting his will on the lumpen machine. It answered him, a part of his body now, as responsive as his arm or his hand, and through the Force became as his own flesh and blood. His eyes showed him the space station, swiftly filling the viewport.

Like a shark beneath deep water, unease flicked its tail.

Soaked in serenity, his focus absolute, he let the darkness flow through him like water through a sieve. Yes, there was danger. He would meet it in due course. But he was in the light of the Force now, and would remain there until his task was complete.

"Nudge port," said Organa, shifting the helm control. "We've got a clear docking ring."

He nodded, dreamily. "I see it, Senator."

"We're still coming in too fast."

"I know." He breathed in deeply, feeling the power surge in his blood. Breathed out, hard, impressing his will upon the stolid Starfarer, tightening the Force around its sturdy frame. The ship lost more momentum. Glided slower. And slower. Slowed further. Was barely moving. And as he slowed the ship, Organa played its helm controls like a master musician, coaxing it to pirouette like a dancer on an opera stage.

―Clone Wars: Wild Space

Included in the album below are the following feats:

• Obi-Wan and Judd hold a closing blast door open for a long time while hundreds of people run inside; this blast door being so heavy that despite being constructed out of extremely tough space age metal, it was crumpling against their telekinetic hold, indicating an extreme amount of force and weight

• Obi-Wan uses TK to pull up the nose of his nose-diving starfighter before it crashes into the ocean, while piloting it

• Perhaps his most impressive feat, Obi-Wan, while rooting himself to the base of a quickly nose-diving ship which makes him look like an ant, manages to uproot and collapse three trees which are twice the height of the ship. This is utterly insane due to the fact trees can extremely hard to uproot at the best of times, never mind when they are three giant trees which you need collapse and form a bridge with while you root yourself to a falling ship.

• Obi-Wan, while inside him, blows Durge to smithereens; Durge being someone who very casually shrugs off hundreds of blaster bolts and rocket launchers as well as on another occasion six grenades planted directly on his body, and more; he is insanely durable.

• Years before Attack of the Clones, Obi-Wan and Anakin hold a massive ship in place, preventing it from falling long enough for people to evacuate it.

https://imgur.com/a/mNA8z

However, as impressive as all of that is, it is not even the best feats we can draw on to substantiate Maul and Obi-Wan’s power. First, let’s take a look at Anakin Skywalker’s power shortly after the Battle of Geonosis. Firstly, Anakin has Force-pushed an AT-TE tank with such kinetic force that when it slammed into a group of droids it gave the effect of a bomb going off, that is to say, Anakin pushed this giant tank at extreme speeds with what seemed like moderate effort at best.

The men sprinted for the door, plunging into the acrid black smoke that now filled the courtyard. It was some kind of cover for a few seconds. Anakin saw the droids, hampered by their own debris, and his eyes went to the blazing carcass of the AT-TE.

Just do it.

Adrenaline fueled him. He sent the wreckage skidding across the ground with a massive Force push. The kinetic force of the impact and the sheet of flame released when it slammed into the droid ranks had the effect of a bomb going off.

―The Clone Wars Novelization

Or, better yet, we can look at the time he guided a gigantic Conquerer-class Dreadnought into the path of speeding missiles. (22BBY) Within the album you will see that:

• This ship dwarves regular starfighters in size

• Just the smaller bottom section of the ship (where the colour changes) makes Anakin look tiny

• Obi-Wan’s starfighter is only a little bit bigger than one of the five cannons on the roof of the dreadnought

https://imgur.com/a/5yspL

Meaning the dreadnought is so large that it could easily fit dozens of starfighters inside it’s mass. Considering it’s a battlestation housing dozens of weapon systems for laser cannons, I’m doubtful it’s hollow on the inside either meaning, it should be immensely heavy. For Anakin to grab this thing and yank it through the air, potentially against it’s own thrusters/engines, fast enough for it to intercept already-travelling missiles… well, you would need to be insanely power, let’s put it that way. As indicated in the album, this feat takes place just 5 months after the Battle of Geonosis, very early in the Clone Wars.

And yet, Anakin at this point in time had clearly not surpassed Asajj Ventress or Obi-Wan. Ventress took him and Ahsoka on at the same time, and pinned him to a wall with telekinesis, him only avoiding death because Ahsoka jumped Ventress. (22BBY)

A renewed energy charged through Anakin, and he heightened his attack, gaining the advantage once more. Then he delivered a surprise kick to the center of the staff, disconnecting the two lightsabers. The weapons flew off in different directions.

But Ventress wasn't defenseless. As Anakin swung his lightsaber, she ducked and used the Force to push him backward, taking him by surprise. He smashed against the wall, dropping his lightsaber.

Ventress held out her right hand and a lightsaber flew into it. She advanced on Anakin, pinning him against the wall.

"Prepare to join with the Force, Jedi!" she cried, igniting her weapon.

Slam! Ahsoka jumped on her back.

―The Clone Wars junior novelization

In the very same book, Ventress runs away from Obi-Wan because she notes that he’s even stronger than Anakin. (22BBY)

Obi-Wan steeled himself at the sight of the assassin. He had faced her before, and although she had never been formally trained as a Sith, her command of the dark side of the Force was strong."Anakin leaves quite a mess, " he replied. "Which always leads me to you, Ventress. "

"Take him!" Ventress ordered the super battle droids.

She ran for a side exit. Anakin Skywalker was a powerful Jedi, but she knew Obi-Wan was even stronger.

Obi-Wan, in this fight with Ventress, wasn’t even trying to defeat her. He was just stalling her, having fun all the while, so Anakin could retreat with the child Ventress was trying to kidnap. He got the better of her for the most part, taunted her, and even cracked her bones with a Force push. (22BBY)

Kenobi raced away. She pursued.

He's not invincible. He couldn't take Fett. But he's not trying this time.

Ventress wouldn't trust Kenobi as far as she could spit.

She stalked him, and this time it was his turn to leap out at her and strike. He drove her back against a wall, but she used it as a springboard to Force-push him back before hacking at him with all the raw strength she could muster. It wasn't hard to summon up. She simply saw Narec, and wanted to destroy the whole world in vengeance.

Kenobi's lightsaber spun in the air. For a second she thought it was a trick; but she'd knocked it from his hand. Her blade was at his throat in a heartbeat.

Kenobi looked up at her, chest rising and falling as he caught his breath. "Okay, Ventress, are you going to gloat and give me a speech on the futility of my mission?"

"No," she said. "I'm just going to kill you."

Then he threw her backward with a Force push. She hit a column hard enough to hear something crack, and staggered to her feet. Kenobi summoned his lightsaber back to his hand with a grin.

―The Clone Wars novelization

Back on Teth, Ventress swung both her lightsabers at Obi-Wan Kenobi. The Jedi reached up and grabbed her hands, stopping the attack. Now the two were face-to-face.

"Hello, " Obi-Wan said cheerfully.

Ventress pulled herself from his grasp. The Jedi Force-pushed the assassin away from him and sent her flying into a nearby column. He extended his hand and his lightsaber leaped into it. He smiled as she jumped to her feet, spinning around to face him.

There’s even more damning proof that Anakin was pretty low on the totem pole at this stage of his career. Saato, a nightsister who was one of Count Dooku’s acolytes, pretty casually Force choked Anakin unconscious 5 months after his dreadnought feat.

Proof of date: https://i.imgur.com/2TS47f8.png

No Caption Provided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtXReu8eEJ4&feature=youtu.be&t=3m17s

Much the same, another of Dooku’s dark acolytes, Trenox, Force blasted Anakin and incapacitated him for so long he had enough time to leave the room.

No Caption Provided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuyOTsKLLxw&feature=youtu.be&t=6m53s

In a source that mentions both of these characters alongside Ventress, it’s noted that Ventress is "perhaps the strongest of Dooku’s acolytes", and more notably, that he taught them “no Sith secrets,” further indicating the disparity between them and a premier Sith like Maul (although as we noted earlier, Ventress did get some Sith table scraps from Sorzus Syn).

https://i.imgur.com/F349eQo.png

Now, everything mentioned above takes place in the same year (22BBY); it is important to note that Maul choked Obi-Wan out two years into the Clone Wars (20BBY). Meaning, the Obi-Wan who was toying with Ventress had two years of rapid growth under his belt since then. Meaning the iteration of Kenobi Maul ragdolled was much stronger than the one who was already a lot more powerful than Dreadnought-ragdolling Anakin.

To use a crude but simple scale:

TCW Maul > TPM Maul >>> Kenobi >> Ventress > Two acolytes >>> Padawan Anakin > Dreadnought

As an addition, Maul and Savage combined were more powerful than Obi-Wan Kenobi and Asajj Ventress shortly after Maul’s return, and it’s important to note that Maul was not done “recovering” yet, as per Filoni; he likely wasn’t even at his former level of power due to rustiness.

Lured into a deadly ambush, Obi-Wan Kenobi would surely have been murdered if not for some unlikely help. Asajj Ventress, Savage’s former ally turned bitter enemy, joined forces with Kenobi… but not even their combined might was enough to defeat the brothers… forcing Obi-Wan and Ventress to make a narrow escape.

https://youtu.be/DlJiphrbLyg?t=13s

―The Clone Wars: Season 4 Episode 22: Revenge

Vast Superiority To Savage Opress

Next, we’ll discuss Maul’s superiority to Savage Opress; fairly simple, Maul stomped him easily, proving that he is the master and Savage is the apprentice for good reason. Savage was not holding back as per the novel pointing out that he tried to cleave Maul in half.

Savage’s saber howled as he flung himself at his brother in a brutal attack. The assault would have ended with most opponents cut in two and lying on the deck in lifeless halves. But Darth Maul was not most opponents. He parried Savage’s slash effortlessly, their red saber blades sparking and chattering where they came in contact with each other. Then Maul twitched his wrists and spun Savage’s saber out of his hands. A moment later Savage was lying on the deck, pinned by Maul’s metal foot.

https://youtu.be/3YS5WiViTW4?t=30s

―The Clone Wars: Season 5 Episode 1: Revival

Savage’s raw power with the Force is mighty indeed, and Maul is undoubtedly far superior to him as a Force user, if not because of how badly he stomped him, his infinitely superior training or his inferrably greater potential (seeing as Sidious chose Maul over Savage), but because Dooku flat out states that Savage is not on Maul’s level yet. Although, he does anticipate his powers will grow strong enough for them both to challenge Sidious at some point.

Soon your powers will rival that of the great Sith Lord Darth Maul.

We will be even more powerful than Lord Sidious.

―Count Dooku

It’s also important to note that Dooku could feel Savage’s power growing daily from across the galaxy, him rightly stating he is a threat to everyone.

“I can sense him, Grievous.That creature, Savage Opress, is growing stronger and stronger as each day passes…

―Count Dooku

“Savage has grown more powerful since escaping Dooku and Ventress. He has used his anger and pain to open him more fully to dark side energies.”

―Clone Wars Campaign Guide

https://imgur.com/Cnn8ZhH

In fact, when Savage raged-out at Dooku and Ventress it was stated they needed their full power and cooperation to fend him off.

When Opress realised that Ventress was merely using him to satisfy her own revenge, he turned on her as well as Dooku. It took all the power of both darksiders to fend off Opress' attack.

―Star Wars Fact File 31 (2014)

He turned on both Ventress and Dooku, who were forced to work together to defeat the powerful Savage.

―Star Wars Fact File 31 (2014)

Granted, there are other sources which rightly point out that Ventress and Savage together were too weak to defeat Dooku, however that does not change that in his best moment, Savage was a threat to both of them, and this was at the earliest stage of his career.

Anyway, to get more precise, one of Savage’s most important feats is when he rather casually destroys a prison door made out of Mandalorian Iron, also known as the lightsaber-immune Beskar, one of the hardest metals in the galaxy.

No Caption Provided

“Apprentice, I wish to tour this facility,” he said.

A moment later, the door to their cell exploded outward, ripped away by a tremendous surge in the Force.

[...]

They lead Satine to a prison cell in her own palace, shutting her in a little room with a cot, desk, and chair, behind a door made of Mandalorian iron.

―Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy

Famously, a wall made of Beskar wasn’t even scratched when Exar Kun tried to cut through it. He had to put his lightsaber to the highest intensity before he could break through, and even then, it’s noted in the text that there was a power “moving around” him that “wanted to help,” which we can only assume is the spirit of Freedon Nadd lingering around this dark-side infested tomb, Nadd’s spirit being known to amp beings at his leisure, and an area saturated with the dark side is bound to compliment Kun’s anger issues well here.

https://imgur.com/a/l4eZR

In addition to this great feat, Savage also showed that he was comically superior to Plo Koon, defeating him and a squad of clone troopers who were distracting Savage throughout the fight. Koon being “one of the most powerful Jedi ever,” with "strong telekinetic powers," and "immense knowledge of the Force," per omniscient sources.

https://imgur.com/a/rm4mM

Plo Koon is a member of the Jedi High Council and a Jedi General in the Clone Wars. Koon is one of the most powerful Jedi ever, with awesome fighting ability, strong telekinetic powers and superb piloting skills.

—Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia

No Caption Provided

And for those nitpickers who want to claim Savage is weaker in the Force than Plo despite dominating him… ask yourself, given that Plo is a highly skilled and experienced Jedi Council member and war general, and Savage is a recently-empowered Sith wannabe with miniscule training… what edge is it exactly do you think Savage had over Plo that wasn’t raw power? Glad we cleared that up.

Maul’s TCW Feats

Let’s take a quick look at Maul’s own feats during TCW.

• Pulling a large shuttle down from a cliff, made even more impressive by the fact that Maul was wounded from having his alchemical leg amputated, being shot at and having to carry Savage all at the same time (yes, the alchemical leg injury truly wounded him, as will be shown below)

A bolt got through Maul’s defences, crumpling on of his mechanical legs.Maul growled, then reached desperately out in the Force, turning his fury into a command. The Jedi shuttle tumbled off the ridge with a groan, crashing down on the landing pad and scattering the pirates.

—Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy

• Maul and Savage fairly casually hurl over a hundred soldiers dozens of feet through the air, killing or incapacitating nearly all of them, while also staggering two powerful Jedi (one of them being Judd, who replicated one of Kenobi’s feats from earlier)

• Shortly after, Maul is stabbed in his alchemical leg, and despite the injury he is able to pull down an entire tunnel system. As noted by Judd, he is wounded by the stabbing and succumbs to the injury after trekking through the desert for a while

• Blasts dozens of droids in every direction

https://imgur.com/a/YDN5D

All of these feats are either done casually or in the heat of the moment while injured, with no time to concentrate properly, which should make them significantly more impressive than when done in ideal circumstances; in any case this combined with everything noted before should be ample proof of Maul’s immense power.

Maul’s Growing Power

Relating to everything mentioned so far, Maul’s power continued to grow through The Clone Wars. He was restored to his original power at first, with the addition of some rustiness and having to acclimate to new legs, but as the year went by, Maul grew in power thanks to a variety of factors. Savage himself saw a pronounced difference in Maul in the short time he had known him.

“You have grown so powerful.”

―Savage Opress (The Clone Wars: Season 5 Episode 1: Revival) & (Darth Maul Shadow Conspiracy)

Savage was right. Maul’s power was growing, because he had a purpose again, and a vision.

Maul had grown more powerful since the last time he'd been in Sidious's presence, before the Neimoidian invasion of Naboo had turned disastrous and Obi-Wan had bested him inside the Theed power core. His hermitage on Lotho Minor, his lessons on Umbara, his restoration by Mother Talzin, and his training of Savage had all strengthened him, made him a more worthy vessel for the dark side to fill with its power.

In fact, we can infer that Maul is much more powerful than his The Phantom Menace incarnation based on how each of them compare to Darth Sidious at different times. Credit goes to @azronger for creating this argument. In the first instance below, Sidious casually moves his lightsaber with such speed that Maul "can't track it," and it "moves faster than his eye can follow."

"The lightsaber whirls in the air, twirling, held in my Master's hand. I can't track it, it moves so fast. But I know it's heading for me. Lord Sidious moves faster than my eye can follow. I smell heat and smoke. The laser traces the outline of my body, my face, my hands. The buzz is loud in my ear. One flinch, one involuntary twitch of a muscle, and I am dead."

―Episode 1 Journal: Darth Maul

Compare that to the showing below, which takes place at the height of Maul's power during TCW. Maul is able to parry Sidious' blows, counter some, dance away from and dodge others. He only see's Sidious' sabers as a "blur," which while indicative of a large speed difference, doesn't mean he is incapable of tracking them. More to the point: Sidious has to ramp up his speed until "there were too many to count, and then there were even more than that."

Sidious raised his saber and flew at Maul, who parried desperately, his mechanical legs whirring as he sought to counter his former Master’s blows.Sidious’s sabers were a blur, a whirling cage of deadly plasma. Maul danced away from one blow, then reversed his movement to avoid another, and then there were too many to count, and then there were even more than that.

Maul’s saber spun out of his hand, bouncing away across the floor.

Causing Sidious to ramp up his speed is indicative of a huge difference between TPM and TCW Maul. Especially because, as a general rule, speed differences are a greater indicator of power difference than telekinetic superiority. Case in point: Count Dooku and Darth Sidious can both Force Choke Obi-Wan Kenobi, but only Sidious is powerful enough to fill Kenobi's perceptions with lightsaber blades or move faster than his eyes can track. Therefore, a measured difference between how TPM and TCW Maul handle Sidious' speed is substantial evidence of power growth.

Additionally, we know Sidious was putting in more effort into this fight than he was when he blitzed the perceptions of TPM Maul, because Maul draws a distinction between their "mere training exercises" and this fight, where he believes Sidious is trying to kill him.

Maul had fought his Master many times, starting when he was little more than a child and continuing through his apprenticeship. His body bore innumerable scars from those duels—lessons in the peril of being too slow or two quick, too weak or too distracted. During Maul’s apprenticeship he had always known that Sidious had been willing to kill him. The Sith had not survived their centuries of exile by being sentimental, and a student who couldn’t stand against his Master in a mere training exercise was worse than useless—he was a waste of valuable resources better used elsewhere. But Maul had never faced his Master when he was actually trying to kill him.

Darth Maul Shadow Conspiracy

Sidious caused TPM Maul more headaches with a casual demonstration of his speed than he did while fighting harder than TCW Maul had ever seen of him before. Further evidence of the difference between TPM and TCW Maul is the difference between TPM and TCW Sidious. After Sidious killed his master in TPM, he went through a similar process most apprentices go through; they are anointed by the Dark Side and feel a substantial increase in power. This was before Sidous would spend the next 13 years growing in power and researching the Force further.

A tremor took hold of the planet.

Sprung from death, it unleashed itself in a powerful wave, at once burrowing deep into the world’s core and radiating through its saccharine atmosphere to shake the stars themselves. At the quake’s epicenter stood Sidious, one elegant hand vised on the burnished sill of an expansive translucency, a vessel filled suddenly to bursting, the Force so strong within him that he feared he might disappear into it, never to return. But the moment didn’t constitute an ending so much as a true beginning, long overdue; it was less a transformation than an intensification—a gravitic shift.

A welter of voices, near and far, present and from eons past, drowned his thoughts. Raised in praise, the voices proclaimed his reign and cheered the inauguration of a new order. Yellow eyes lifted to the night sky, he saw the trembling stars flare, and in the depth of his being he felt the power of the dark side anoint him.

[...]

Confident that the will of the dark side had been done, he returned to the suite’s window wall. Two beings in a galaxy of countless trillions, but what had transpired in the suite would affect the lives of all of them. Already the galaxy had been shaped by the birth of one, and henceforth would be reshaped by the death of the other. But had the change been felt and recognized elsewhere? Were his sworn enemies aware that the Force had shifted irrevocably? Would it be enough to rouse them from self-righteousness? He hoped not. For now the work of vengeance could begin in earnest.

His eyes sought and found an ascending constellation of stars, one of power and consequence new to the sky, though soon to be overwhelmed by dawn’s first light. Low in the sky over the flatlands, visible only to those who knew where and how to look, it ushered in a bold future. To some the stars and planets might seem to be moving as ever, destined to align in configurations calculated long before their fiery births. But in fact the heavens had been perturbed, tugged by dark matter into novel alignments. In his mouth, Sidious tasted the tang of blood; in his chest, he felt the monster rising, emerging from shadowy depths and contorting his aspect into something fearsome just short of revealing itself to the world.

The dark side had made him its property, and now he made the dark side his.

Breathless, not from exertion but from the sudden inspiration of power, he let go of the sill and allowed the monster to writhe through his body like an unbroken beast of range or prairie.

Had the Force ever been so strong in anyone?

Sidious had never learned how Plagueis’s own Master had met his end. Had he died at Plagueis’s hand? Had Plagueis, too, experienced a similar exultation on becoming a sole Sith Lord? Had the beast of the end time risen then to peek at the world it was to inhabit, knowing its release was imminent?

--Darth Plagueis

Another important note is Maul only had one year to see this much power growth, as he was only restored to his "former power" at the start of TCW.

Savage took his wounded brother to their homeworld of Dathomir, where Mother Talzin used her strange powers to heal his ravaged mind… and make his ruined body whole. Restored to his former power, the Sith Lord had only one desire… Revenge!

This not only proves he grew massively in just a year, it shows that he was growing at a faster rate than Sidious. Meaning his Force potential was at least on his level, if not higher.

Also, this increase in power intensified all of his Force abilities, which has been confirmed by the author of Shadow Conspiracy, Jason Fry.

https://imgur.com/Fv1I4cS

It's worth reflecting on the fact that all of the feats mentioned so far, the casual building busting, the unprecedented cheating death, Force choking Obi-Wan, stomping Savage Opress etc, were all done prior to or during a large power increase on Maul's part.

Fight With Mace Windu

A great worthy of mention is when Maul took on Mace Windu and Aayla Secura at the same time. He took out Secura with a kick immediately while defending from Mace, and in the time it took Dooku to fire lightning at the Jedi, grab Tiplee and stab her, Maul was fighting with Mace; Aayla was back on her feet and re-engaged with Maul by the time the fight was coming to a close. Maul is even able to dodge a missile which Mace fails to react to, granted surprise is always a factor.

https://imgur.com/a/8qoYl

This simply goes towards proving that Maul is very much among the elite combatively, like Mace, who needs no introduction. You will also note from the album that the main reason the fight was so short (like all the fights in Son of Dathomir was primarily because there was not enough time to conclude them; so yes, Maul should have had a longer fight with Mace Windu, in princple).

"Vader Range"

An important point to mention is Maul’s relation to Darth Vader (as well as Count Dooku) in this power hierarchy. There are three sources I will use to prove that while Vader is more powerful than Maul, it may not be by very much.

Firstly, by word of God himself, Vader was more akin to Maul or Dooku than he was the Emperor while in his suit.

“From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor – he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku. He wasn't what he was supposed to become. But the son could become that."

―George Lucas

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-and-the-cult-of-darth-vader-20050602

Secondly, Dave Filoni (who is essentially Jesus in this metaphor) has stated that Maul is “kind of in the Vader-realm” in regards to how he is “super dangerous,” well trained and adept. Pretty clear cut that he is discussing their Sith training.

"Maul is a super dangerous threat because he has been trained for years. He’s really adept. So he’s kind of in the Vader-realm, and you know he, he’s a bit severed from what he knew which was having a master but he’s well trained by Sidious in all types of Sith ways. Not the least of which is manipulation. Again, I don’t want to give too much away...

―Dave Filoni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr-....be&t=2m38s

Thirdly, Rebels Maul is more than likely past his prime. He certainly appears no better than he was during TCW. The following quotes state he has seen no growth and that he is “past his prime and glory days.”

Witwer: He has this ambition that still exists inside him and that ambition is eating him up –especially now that he’s past his prime and his glory years. Yeah, he’s a sadder character than we perhaps remember in Clone Wars.

―Sam Witwer

"Maul hasn't experienced any personal growth, he hasn't gotten over anything. He hasn't grown, except in his anger and his need for revenge."

―Dave Filoni

In addition, Filoni hopes the duel is a perfect representation of an important conflict, and given that he continually refers to Obi-Wan’s growth and enlightenment, and the lack of any kind of growth on Maul’s apart (as well as how broken and lost he is), it seems clear Maul has seen better days, and the fight suggests this heavily.

“I felt strongly Obi-Wan, if he could help it, would really rather not kill Darth Maul. Obi-Wan is at a point, in my mind, where he’s become rather enlightened. He’s been in the desert discovering who he is, really evolving as a character. He’s not that young brash kid that went into a fight with Maul out of anger for the fact his master was killed. It can’t be that same situation this is so many years later. Maul, for his part, is pretty much hung up on that exact moment. That’s where his life went wrong. He can’t let it go.”

Filoni hopes the duel, and the moments after, are the perfect representation of one of the most important conflicts in all of Star Wars.

“It really is to express the difference between the Jedi and the Sith. Which is the Jedi become selfless and the Sith remain selfish. When pressed, because Obi-Wan is protecting someone else in the end, he does fight. But because he is so true and knows who he is in that moment, you can’t defeat that. So Obi-Wan is going to strike down Maul because Maul is such a broken and lost person, which I think is why in the end you see Maul being cradled by Obi-Wan.''

―Dave Filoni

You can also argue that because Maul's "ambition still exists" and that "anger and need for revenge" have grown, that Rebels Maul is actually his prime incarnation - it doesn't matter a great deal either way.

This is the same Maul that was able to stalemate Ahsoka Tano for a good spell.

https://youtu.be/VebE-ZMQ9CQ?t=6s

He was also implied to be her superior both in the episode and on starwars.com. When deciding who would partner with who, Maul being partnered with the weakest member of the group in Ezra is the "logical choice", presumably because Maul is the strongest in the group and can carry the extra weight.

https://imgur.com/a/5vNWH

This being the same Ahsoka who performed more than admirably against Vader.

https://youtu.be/0UVJSJOiLk4?t=1m59s

Therefore, both TCW and Rebels Maul should be powerful enough to give Vader a close fight.

Superiority To Darth Bane

To round off, I would like to finish by making the case that it is almost impossible to reconcile Darth Maul being weaker than Darth Bane at this stage. It simply doesn't make sense, as I am going to lay out below. To assume Darth Bane is more powerful than Darth Maul is to assume that the most powerful and successful Sith Lord of all time, Sidious, is utterly incompetent. And seeing as that would be tantamount to heresy..

Firstly, as proven earlier, Maul is indeed a legitimate Rule of Two apprentice, who was trained exhaustively by Sidious in all of the dark side’s guises, to be the most powerful Sith possible. He was “trained in Sidious’ likeness” so that he could “carry on the Sith tradition proudly,” so that Sidious could “pass the baton to [Maul] when the time comes." During the Clone Wars, Maul defied the Rule of Two, becoming a "rival Sith who could not be tolerated." Maul’s Force potential had to have been identified as at least comparable to Sidious’ or those Sith recently preceding him for this to be viable.

He was doing this with the culminated resources of 1,000 years of successively more powerful Sith Lords, estimated to be nearly 30 generations between between Bane and Sidious.

No Caption Provided

"We are not some cult like the Tetsu's Sorcerers of Tund. Descended from Darth Bane, we are the select few who refuse to be carried by the Force and who carry it instead - thirty in a millennium rather than the tens of thousands fit to be Jedi."

―Darth Plagueis

Indeed, to reiterate, "The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself," and "Darth Maul is proof that they're back―and deadlier than ever."

The Sith had changed. The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself, in preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves.

They had become new.

―Revenge of the Sith

Darth Maul is one of the most highly trained Sith in the history of the order.

―Episode I: The Visual Dictionary

Taken from his home at a very early age by Darth Sidious, Maul was trained mercilessly in all forms of the Sith arts, becoming the living embodiment of evil."

―Star Wars: Fandex Deluxe Edition

No Caption Provided

Plagueis noted, in stark contrast, that Venamis was an “anachronism,” that is to say suitable for his own time but inadequate for the modern era, who "would have done well in Bane's era."

An investigation of the ship had yielded data that might have surprised even Darth Tenebrous, who had provided the ship. It seemed that well before he had confronted Plagueis or learned of his Master’s fate, Venamis himself had been scouting for potential apprentices.

Plagueis could not help being impressed, though begrudgingly. The young Bith would have done well in Bane’s era.

Now, however, he was an anachronism, and by extension, Tenebrous also.

―Darth Plagueis

So, Maul has ludicrously better training than Bane, ludicrously higher potential and is capable of carrying on the Rule of Two in Sidious’ stead if need be, whereas Bane is noted by Plagueis to be inadequate for the modern era.

We can infer that because the apprentice is always around half the age of the master at best when they surpass them, and due to the difference in Force potential, the apprentice typically has to catch up to the master in half the time. A 25 year old should be ready to kill their 50 year old master, and then imagine that continues for another 1,000 years. In Zannah's case, she was ten years the junior of Darth Bane, but caught up to him in the space of a decade despite Bane's own continued growth.

If Maul has comparable Force potential to Darth Sidious, who is 1,000 years removed from Bane as far as power progression is considered, and he underwent far more efficient training, then one year of power growth for Maul is of exponentially greater yield than it is for Bane, and in addition, those select moments where Sith experience an intensification in power (such as Krayt and his Embrace of Pain, or Maul completing his Sith Lord trial) would again, be worth exponentially more for Maul than they would Bane.

One may argue that because Maul never quite reached Sidious' own heights, Banite scaling cannot apply to him; however, this is fallacious as Sidious himself would still go on to grow exponentially between Revenge of the Sith and Dark Empire, meaning that Maul could well exceed Bane's own power while Sidious is still growing.

We also know that the Banite Sith themselves saw exponential growth, with Tenebrous and his master advancing the Sith imperative "most of all," and Darth Plagueis increasing his own midichlorian count by invoking them to replicate. Therefore, it is not necessary that Maul have surpassed Sidious to have also surpassed Bane, when Sidious is already so far removed from Bane that it's likely he would have surpassed his raw power within the earliest stages of his apprenticeship. Likewise with Maul, while he certainly did not realise much of his own potential, he is so far removed from Bane in every metric (potential, training quality, accolades) that it seems implausible that Bane would have superior power. Bane did not undergo greater trials or have access to nearly the same level of insight and resources as Maul, and he would be growing at a much slower rate than Maul. Hence why Maul is "proof" that the Sith are "deadlier than ever."

So How Powerful Is Bane?

So with that case laid out (and I’m yet to see a worthwhile refutation to it), I encourgage you to read through an essay written by fellow debater EmperorDMB, where he details Bane’s power, as well as Bane's two-part respect thread. Part 1Part 2 I take no credit for the following argument, it's genius can be attributed entirely to DMB.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/emperordmb/blog/darth-banes-power/122497/

As a quick summary, though, one of Bane’s best feats is collapsing the Temple of the Ancients with a Force blast which was deflected by Kas’im. Bane did this on a dark side nexus which would have enhanced his power, however, he was also two decades short of his prime, which should help make up for the disparity.

There was nothing subtle about Bane's attack: the massive shock wave shook the very foundations of the great Rakatan Temple. The concussive blast had enough power to shatter every bone in Kas'im's body and pulverize his flesh into a mass of pulpy liquid. But at the last possible instant he threw up a shield to protect himself from the attack.

Unfortunately, he couldn't shield the Temple around him.The walls exploded into great chunks of rubble. The archway collapsed in a shower of stone, burying Kas'im beneath tons of rock and mortar. A second later the rest of the roof caved in, drowning out the Twi'lek's dying screams with a deafening rumble.

Bane watched the spectacle of the Temple's implosion from the safety of the ground at the foot of the stairs. Billowing clouds of dust rolled out from the wreckage and down the stairs toward him.

―Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

DMB shrewdly pointed out that Bane felt more powerful than he ever had while wearing just two orbalisks, which would include the time he was on Lehon and experienced the power of the nexus.

But he also learned that, in addition to boosting a host's physical abilities, it was possible to tap into the parasites' ability to feed on the dark side to greatly increase one's own command of the Force.

―Darth Bane: Rule of Two

Bane reached inward to call upon the dark side, drawing it not only from himself but also from the orbalisks fastened to his chest and back. Feeling an incredible surge of power beyond any he had known before, he released it in a burst of energy. The hallucinations that had plagued his wounded mind ever since the detonation of the thought bomb vanished, instantly and utterly annihilated by his newfound power. He was stronger now than he ever had been, and he knew the visions of the dead Sith would haunt him no more.

Now, it only gets better, because the Bane who is superior to his temple busting self with just two orbalisks goes on to acquire an entire body full of them, which would increase his power exponentially.

Over the past decade, the orbalisks that had attached themselves to Bane's torso had spread until they covered virtually his entire body. Only his feet, hands, and face remained free of the infestation, and only because he took extreme precautions: He wore special gloves and boots at all times, and when he slept he donned a special helmet that resembled a cage, meant to keep the parasites from growing over his face.

He also spent that decade growing in Force knowledge and general power. So Bane, in this state, can drop the temple of the ancients pretty easily.

However, as we know, Bane loses all of his orbalisks, so he loses all of that power, right? Wrong. One must simply compare Orbalisk Bane’s fight with a relatively inexperienced Zannah to Dynasty of Evil Bane’s fight with a far more experienced Zannah to gauge who is more powerful.

She fell into a defensive posture as she so often had during their training sessions. But this was no drill, and her Master came at her with a speed and ferocity she had never faced before. Giving in to his orbalisk-fueled bloodrage, he was like a wild animal, raining savage blows down on her from all angles, the strikes coming so fast it seemed as if he wielded a dozen blades at the same time.

She scrambled to her feet and twirled her lightsaber before her, creating what she hoped would be an impenetrable wall of defense. Instead of trying to pierce her guard, Bane leapt high in the air and came down almost right on top of her. She deftly parried his blade, redirecting it to the side as she spun away to keep his body from slamming into her.

Compare that with this battle against far more experienced Zannah:

He opened with a series of two-handed overhead chops, using his great height to bring his blade hacking down at her from above. She easily blocked each blow, but the momentum of the crushing impact caused her to stagger back, throwing her off balance.

―Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil

He was faster than she could ever have imagined, and he was using new sequences and unfamiliar moves he had never revealed during their practice sessions.

―Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil

As seen above, Bane was “faster than she could ever have imagined,” was “using new sequences and unfamiliar moves he had never revealed during their practice sessions,” and his blows were so heavy that “the crushing impact caused her to stagger back, throwing her off balance,” despite the fact she was parrying his blows easily enough.

Simple logic: if Dynasty of Evil Bane can even equal his performance against a far more powerful Zannah (which he did), that proves he grew past the need for his orbalisks. And indeed, he moves faster from Zannah’s perceptions than she could imagine, and presumably she can imagine the speed of Orbalisk Bane who she already fought. In addition, Dynasty Bane’s blows by merit of their strength alone were throwing Zannah off-balance.

So, while crude, the scale is as follows:

Prime Bane > Orbalisk Bane >>> Bane with two Orbalisks > PoD Bane > Lehon Temple

Therefore, it should be clear to all that destroying the Temple of the Ancients should be a cakewalk to both Bane in his prime and Darth Maul.

Thanks for reading.

No Caption Provided

Click here for more respect threads

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reserved

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also reserved

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Eh still solidiy below Kenobi at all the same ages

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royal_warrior: Maul is entirely offense while obi wan is the complete opposite choosing defense. Which is a very bad matchup for him

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehhh left out a lot of context for some of the stuff. But I get that this is a hype thread and it would break the momentum of it.

Excellent job.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Royal_Warrior

@kgb725: true but people argue that him losing to Kenobi makes him weak disregarding Kenobi's stature

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: true but people argue that him losing to Kenobi makes him weak disregarding Kenobi's stature

Well Kenobi beat him with one lightsaber hit and maul barely even fought during that brief encounter

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royal_warrior: @supergoku17: Obi wan beat both Anakin and maul and was smart enough to bait both of them into a fatal blow .

Didn't Kenobi go down against dooku with only like 2 cuts ?

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is awful. :)

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Reach Richards would be proud.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will read when I have the time. I'm sure it will be excellent.

AnonymousJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AnonymousJedi

Do people actually read this? So long -_-... anyways, nice post.

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the tag. I'll read this in increments.

You know, I have a website titled "The Power of Darth Maul". ;) The pic I shared with you is from the home page.

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RedHeathen

EXCELLENT! I can't wait to read this in full, but immediately I wanted to add my first thoughts.

I don't understand the logic behind those who support the following:

"You can also argue that because Maul's "ambition still exists" and that "anger and need for revenge" have grown, that Rebels Maul is actually his prime incarnation - it doesn't matter a great deal either way."

It was that anger and need for revenge that kept him from growing, which is in an interview... somewhere. Perhaps you mention it above, but again, I haven't really read this yet and found this in my initial skim.

Is End Game quoted in this? A quick search didn't show it. Maul is the "Chief Commander" of the droid army and leads the initial invasion of Naboo. Let me know if you need quotes.

You might consider adding the quotes from TCW, s4 e22 "Revenge" because it shows that Maul had knowledge of the Clone Wars and was most likely to be involved with it:

MAUL:  The Force feels out of balance.
SAVAGE: Yes. There is conflict. The Clone Wars.
MAUL: Oh, yes. So it began without me.
i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redheathen: Those are both good points you make, they further validate the point that Maul was going to be a general in TCW. I forgot about End Game but it's okay, I'll go hunt the quote down.

Also thanks! I forgot your site had this title lol.

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedHeathen

TCW s4 e22 "Revenge"

No Caption Provided

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just did a quick search and didn't see anything about how Sidious wanted to use Maul in politics but first had to figure out what to do about his appearance. This is in, IIRC, at least two sources.

YousufKhan1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can't wait to read this.

Richard96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Richard96

Wow... what a gargantuan work... need some time to read it

Zapan871

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zapan871

Awesum.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords Read through the entire thing and damn.... looks like you lowballed Maul a bit here. I'll have to set things straight for you, son.

:)

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azronger said:

@i_like_swords Read through the entire thing and damn.... looks like you lowballed Maul a bit here. I'll have to set things straight for you, son.

:)

You think so? I'm printing this out so I can get through it a little easier, and obviously I have yet to read it fully. I'm interested in your points.

Avatar image for amethystgravity
AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! That's extremely thorough, and the scaling is pretty clear and easy to follow, too!

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amethystgravity: Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. Though, you just gave me a good idea; I'm going to add a contents table so people can get an idea of what they're reading through.

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@royal_warrior: Maul is entirely offense while obi wan is the complete opposite choosing defense. Which is a very bad matchup for him

Yeah, not really. Instead of being biased when reading a character, open your mind and learn. =) There is much more to Maul than offense. ;D And which Kenobi are you talking about? All phases of his growth? Including TPM?

Eh still solidiy below Kenobi at all the same ages

Your are saying that Maul is solidly below Kenobi in TPM?

Ehhh left out a lot of context for some of the stuff. But I get that this is a hype thread and it would break the momentum of it.

What is the difference between a hype thread and a respect thread?

@i_like_swords

"Maul is even able to dodge a missile which Mace fails to react to, granted surprise is always a factor."

Was Maul not taken by surprise?

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redheathen: His soldier shouted his name beforehand, for what that is worth.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redheathen: He's one of my favorite characters. Form 7 is his primary means of combat he's trying to overwhelm in combat he's not like dooku or obiwan

Zapan871

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zapan871

@i_like_swords: Aside from the blog being good? Well, I'd say Anakin's Theta storm feat deseves a mention, because if Maul is above that level, then we have another insane line of scaling for him. Bearing in mind that Anakin seems emotionally normal when performing that feat. Also, nice to see you mention the Dooku acolytes scaling. There's also Kenobi's feat of resisting the Zygoola nexus, which is pretty impressive, though that's also a matter of will power. Still, that nexus would likely be far more powerful than Zannah, who is above DOE Bane, so that might be another way to scale Maul.

Btw, where do you rank Maul in terms of Banite Sith? Earlier, middle or late generations (i.e above Tenebrous' master but below Tenebrous for example)?

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redheathen: His soldier shouted his name beforehand, for what that is worth.

Do you think that Windu didn't hear him as well? Or do you think that they had already planned a bomb and therefore only Maul could have understood that a bomb was being lobbed in? Why didn't Windu have precognition, especially with the soldier shouting for Maul's attention?

@kgb725 said:

@redheathen: He's one of my favorite characters. Form 7 is his primary means of combat he's trying to overwhelm in combat he's not like dooku or obiwan

Okay, that is a little easier to read than simply Maul is offense only. I understand what you are saying, but to me there is a difference. We've seen Maul go on the defensive with his saber. I thought that you were saying he was offense only. The reverse is true of Kenobi. I understand that Ataru is primarily defense, but we've seen him go on the offense. I just took your statements as absolutes.

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redheathen: Maul might have been more privy to what was coming, since he was leading the Mandalorians, but honestly there's no way of knowing what it means.

@zapan871:

Aside from the blog being good? Well, I'd say Anakin's Theta storm feat deseves a mention, because if Maul is above that level, then we have another insane line of scaling for him. Bearing in mind that Anakin seems emotionally normal when performing that feat. Also, nice to see you mention the Dooku acolytes scaling. There's also Kenobi's feat of resisting the Zygoola nexus, which is pretty impressive, though that's also a matter of will power. Still, that nexus would likely be far more powerful than Zannah, who is above DOE Bane, so that might be another way to scale Maul.

Interesting points. I just don't want to flood the thread with too much content, but those are also great feats.

Btw, where do you rank Maul in terms of Banite Sith? Earlier, middle or late generations (i.e above Tenebrous' master but below Tenebrous for example)?

I have him pretty far below Tenebrous (I even have Vader below Tenebrous, although not by quite as much). Somewhere in the early-middle stages for Maul, for Vader, middle or a little bit later. Dooku somewhere in the middle.

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never read the comic that way. I know they called out Maul's name, but that would have gotten Windu's attention as well. I also never really considered that the bomb was planned ahead of time. I've always thought of that instance as an equal head's up to Maul and Mace, but it's not uncommon for me to think of these things differently from others. Another example is I wouldn't rate Maul<Dooku~<Vader<Tenebrous. But you've done a great job laying it all out. This is a great essay, and I appreciate you tagging me and then taking the time to answer my questions.

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords Treat this as a gesture of appreciation of our friendship, and your continued support of me despite the dismay of others.

So, the crux of my case lies in the comparison of Maul's respective performances against Sidious. During the timeframe of The Phantom Menace:

"The lightsaber whirls in the air, twirling, held in my Master's hand. I can't track it, it moves so fast. But I know it's heading for me. Lord Sidious moves faster than my eye can follow. I smell heat and smoke. The laser traces the outline of my body, my face, my hands. The buzz is loud in my ear. One flinch, one involuntary twitch of a muscle, and I am dead."

Episode 1 Journal: Darth Maul

It is very clear here, Maul would not even be able to block a single blow; that he is not holding a lightsaber here is irrelevant because Maul cannot even track the lightsaber at all, so obviously he would not be able to block even a single strike if he has no idea where the enemy lightsaber is, even were he armed.

Compare that to his performance in Shadow Conspiracy, during the Clone Wars:

Sidious raised his saber and flew at Maul, who parried desperately, his mechanical legs whirring as he sought to counter his former Master’s blows. Sidious’s sabers were a blur, a whirling cage of deadly plasma. Maul danced away from one blow, then reversed his movement to avoid another, and then there were too many to count, and then there were even more than that.

Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy

Even if it is a one-sided stomp, at least Maul is capable of fighting back, which cannot be said for his TPM self. ILS himself noted in my new Darth Tenebrous Respect Thread merely a few hours ago that a speedblitz is a much more profound display of Force superiority than ragdolling, and he is right: true speedblitzes are extremely rare in Star Wars, and there are many instances where a character is able to stand up to their betters in lightsaber combat just fine but get destroyed in a telekinetic war - Luke vs Vader in Return of the Jedi, Obi-Wan vs Dooku in Revenge of the Sith, Starkiller vs Vader in The Force Unleashed II, etc. I could look for more instances but I think the point is clear.

So taking this line of thought to its logical conclusion, TCW Maul shits in TPM Maul. In itself the comparison presents a significant if not outright vast improvement, but we must also consider that his opponent both times was Darth Sidious himself, and Sidious' power did not stay static throughout those years.

First, at the end of The Phantom Menace, Sidious experiences a moment of enlightenment and true inauguration with the dark side after he murdered his Master Darth Plagueis. This happens after the brief skirmish with Maul quoted above where the Zabrak is speedblitzed, so this intensification of Sidious' Force abilities would factor into the Shadow Conspiracy fight.

A tremor took hold of the planet.

Sprung from death, it unleashed itself in a powerful wave, at once burrowing deep into the world’s core and radiating through its saccharine atmosphere to shake the stars themselves. At the quake’s epicenter stood Sidious, one elegant hand vised on the burnished sill of an expansive translucency, a vessel filled suddenly to bursting, the Force so strong within him that he feared he might disappear into it, never to return. But the moment didn’t constitute an ending so much as a true beginning, long overdue; it was less a transformation than an intensification—a gravitic shift.

A welter of voices, near and far, present and from eons past, drowned his thoughts. Raised in praise, the voices proclaimed his reign and cheered the inauguration of a new order. Yellow eyes lifted to the night sky, he saw the trembling stars flare, and in the depth of his being he felt the power of the dark side anoint him.

[...]

Confident that the will of the dark side had been done, he returned to the suite’s window wall. Two beings in a galaxy of countless trillions, but what had transpired in the suite would affect the lives of all of them. Already the galaxy had been shaped by the birth of one, and henceforth would be reshaped by the death of the other. But had the change been felt and recognized elsewhere? Were his sworn enemies aware that the Force had shifted irrevocably? Would it be enough to rouse them from self-righteousness? He hoped not. For now the work of vengeance could begin in earnest.

His eyes sought and found an ascending constellation of stars, one of power and consequence new to the sky, though soon to be overwhelmed by dawn’s first light. Low in the sky over the flatlands, visible only to those who knew where and how to look, it ushered in a bold future. To some the stars and planets might seem to be moving as ever, destined to align in configurations calculated long before their fiery births. But in fact the heavens had been perturbed, tugged by dark matter into novel alignments. In his mouth, Sidious tasted the tang of blood; in his chest, he felt the monster rising, emerging from shadowy depths and contorting his aspect into something fearsome just short of revealing itself to the world.

The dark side had made him its property, and now he made the dark side his.

Breathless, not from exertion but from the sudden inspiration of power, he let go of the sill and allowed the monster to writhe through his body like an unbroken beast of range or prairie.

Had the Force ever been so strong in anyone?

Sidious had never learned how Plagueis’s own Master had met his end. Had he died at Plagueis’s hand? Had Plagueis, too, experienced a similar exultation on becoming a sole Sith Lord? Had the beast of the end time risen then to peek at the world it was to inhabit, knowing its release was imminent?

Darth Plagueis

The magnitude of the above is quite exhilarating. Sidious notes that "Already the galaxy had been shaped by the birth of one, and henceforth would be reshaped by the death of the other. But had the change been felt and recognized elsewhere? Were his sworn enemies aware that the Force had shifted irrevocably?" What I take away from this is that Plagueis' death caused a tremor in the Force, and his power passed onto Sidious which resulted in the grandiose description of his newly-deepened connection to the dark side, so profound that the tides of the Force shifted further than they ever had, and Sidious' mere existence caused them to stay unbalanced to the dark side. Several other sources have regurgitated these ideas - for a full explanation defer here. The point being that Sidious is the galaxy-wide unbalancing from this point onward. The relevant part comes from Mace Windu in Revenge of the Sith:

To Mace's Force perception, the world crystallized around them, becoming a gem of reality shot through with flaws and fault lines of possibility. This was Mace's particular gift: to see how people and situations fit together in the Force, to find the shear planes that can cause them to break in useful ways, and to intuit what sort of strike would best make the cut. Though he could not consistently determine the significance of the structures he perceived—the darkening cloud upon the Force that had risen with the rebirth of the Sith made that harder and harder with each passing day—the presence of shatterpoints was always clear.

Revenge of the Sith

Windu notes how the darkness in the Force is growing daily, and because he can actually perceive a measured difference, it can be inferred this daily growth on Palpatine's part was noticeable. This is significant because as per the junior novelization, the dark side had been growing in power for years:

Only the Jedi were not surprised. For on Geonosis, Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Padawan apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, had learned that Count Dooku had turned to the dark side of the Force — and the power of the dark side had been growing for years. The Jedi knew that defeating the Separatists would be neither quick nor easy with a Dark Lord of the Sith aiding them.

Revenge of the Sith junior novelization

Yoda himself also makes the connection between Sidious and the shroud of the dark side during their fight:

Strong, this Sith Lord is, Yoda thought as their lightsabers whirled and clashed and whirled again. It should not have been a surprise. With the strength of the dark side growing, the Sith must, logically, have grown stronger, too.

Revenge of the Sith junior novelization

There are of course more sources that repeat these same ideas, but I think the message is clear enough as it is. The difference between the TPM Sidious that blitzed Maul and RotS Sidious is huge, and if we went into the mathematics of it, it would easily be in the one-shot territory.

So what does this mean for Maul? Well, firstly, that he actually performed significantly better against RotS Sidious in his TCW iteration than he did against TPM Sidious in his TPM incarnation. For this to have happened, Maul must logically have grown more than Sidious during the time period, indicating his potential is far superior to Sidious' own. Just how much greater is further made clear by the fact that Sidious had 13 years to accumulate this much power whereas Maul had less than one as according to The Sith Hunters, he was merely restored to his previous, TPM level upon his revival.

So as a conclusion, Maul's potential is insane (there is no way he's weaker than Bane, let's be honest), and that the difference between his TPM and TCW iterations is enormous; I'd wager outright in the one-shot territory.

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azronger:To solidify your point, there are two other important data points to mention. Namely:

--Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy

Sidious raised his saber and flew at Maul, who parried desperately, his mechanical legs whirring as he sought to counter his former Master’s blows. Sidious’s sabers were a blur, a whirling cage of deadly plasma.

Maul danced away from one blow, then reversed his movement to avoid another,and then there were too many to count, and then there were even more than that.

--Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy

• From Maul's perspective, which was informed by countless sparring sessions, Sidious was now trying to kill him, something he had never seen from his master before; so Sidious was fighting harder than Maul has ever seen from him.
  • Maul at least perceives Sidious' sabers as a blur, parries him, even seeks to counter him, and flat out dodges some of them. It is only after Sidious begins to ramp up his speed to much higher levels that he overwhelms Maul.

So yeah, I think your post has a lot of merit; Maul forcing Sidious to ramp up his speed and identifying him as fighting harder than before, is quite a large contrast to Sidious casually moving so fast that Maul cannot even track or follow his blade.

Good post, I'll incorporate this into the thread and give you credit.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: You're welcome. There's also this feat for Obi-Wan which may be useful for scaling.

Obi-Wan took hold of his shoulder and pushed him low to the smooth rock surface. Thus distracted, he could not raise the lightsaber in time to provide even a partial deflection for the next laser salvo. The blast knocked him several meters and tumbled him over and over. Flecks of broken and molten rock flew through the air, burning his clothes, drilling into his skin. Instinctively, he held up one arm to shield his face and the other to protect Anakin.

Rogue Planet

Obi-Wan deflects a salvo of laser blasts, one-handed, only three years after The Phantom Menace. Said laser salvos were powerful enough to blow apart suspension bridges and devastate buildings:

More laser salvos slashed through the air behind the Blood Carver, blowing apart the suspension bridge and setting the buildings on an adjacent pillar ablaze. The glow of destruction made his shining skin dance like a flame, part of the destruction.

Rogue Planet
RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azronger LOVE THIS LOVE IT

Excellent points, and I am going to add to this. First I need to get to original sources, but basically this is what I've been trying to say for so long. As you guys know, I have language issues, and it is difficult for me to word things very well. I've been saying that Sidious chose Maul for a reason. We have the evidence, as @i_like_swords has (mostly*) cited above, that Sidious intended for Maul to replace him and prepared him for that transfer of power. He did that for a reason, and this is what Witwer is discussing in the Hollywood dot com interview that ILS added. When I found that interview, I had also found one where Filoni said something about this as well, but I didn't bookmark it. Perhaps I am thinking of Filoni backing up what Witwer says about they (he and Filoni) are delivering (via directing, acting, character development) Lucas' vision of these characters - the intention of these characters (my interpretation). This is why I argue that creator intention is just as important as feats because, especially with Maul, there is more to a few of these characters than feats. Really strong characters can be affected by story line/ plot and vice versa (maybe I'm a bit off topic here). Please let me know if I've misunderstood you.

When Maul was created, he was supposed to be "your worst nightmare." There are at least five Legends and Canon sources that state that Maul was one of the most deadly, highly skilled, highly trained, etc, Sith (not just Sith Apprentice) in the entire history of the Sith Order (not just the Banite Sith or Order of the Sith Lords). We don't have feats to show for this, but Az just did a bang up job of extrapolating the evidence, and I think that there is more. This is not to say that ILS didn't do a great job as well because he did.

The point being: The most powerful Sith to ever exist doesn't choose WeakSauce to be his apprentice. I think only Anakin Skywalker could have been the better choice.

The culmination of a millennium's worth of evil was embodied as Sidious, which Az touches upon above. The dark power within him was so great, that this centuries old, if not millennia, prophecy was brought to fruition. The Force itself woke up and said Whoa, hold on. The Dark Side has become too powerful so now is the time to bring the Chosen One to life. Well, of course, there is the Plagueis manipulating midiclorians thing, but that plays into the creation of Anakin. Anyway, this anciently foretold Chosen One is brought to life. Sidious knew nothing of him until the time of Maul's death (just before), which is an argument point itself against Maul being just an assassin and a placeholder, so as far as Sidious was concerned, Maul was the strongest guy available. It was only the Chosen One who ended up being the better choice for apprentice. To me, it says a lot about Maul. Like Az says above, it's about doing the math (as we don't have feats to rely upon).

I don't think I am wording this well, as usual, but let me know if what I'm saying makes sense.

*still more to add such as from End Game and The Clone Wars (the scene I mention above).

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azronger@i_like_swords

Does it do any good to say that at the age of 22, Maul was on the same level* as 83 year old (years worth of experience) as Tyranus, who said himself that he became more powerful after turning to the dark side? No one argues the skill, ability, and strength of Dooku, so why can't this be used in some way for scaling?

Does the fact that Maul was able to beat Sidious with saber blows on Hypori to the point that Sidious "could barely defend himself" matter? I know that Sids only uses defense, but considering how blazing fast he is, doesn't this say something for a non-Sith trained 17 year old's saber skills?

*the Gillard quote

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redheathen: Yes, and in the thread it's also noted that when Dooku received Maul's training it went beyond "his most spectacular fantasies." It also speaks to Maul's immense Force potential to be so close to the most elite Force users in his twenties.

Red, in the book it's noted that Sidious "had only begun to tap into his reserves," and was just trying to goad Maul into killing him. He was defending himself with a training lightsaber. Sidious wasn't seriously being forced back in that fight.

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azronger@i_like_swords sorry for so many posts! I don't want to edit my previous replies jic they've already been read, and I don't want what else I have to say to be missed.

There is more than one source in Legends and in Canon that state that Maul was taken instead of Talzin because his potential was greater than Talzin's. This was felt when he was an infant.

Oh, btw, ILS, where did you get the age of two? We have varying ages for when Sidious took Maul - ranging from infant to small child.

We know how powerful Talzin is from feats in TCW and Son of Dathomir, and Maul was to be greater than that. She stood toe to toe with Sidious, and it took the addition of Dooku to put her on the defense. It was during this moment that GG arrived and killed her. It took three top heavy weights to put her down. I'm not saying she is more powerful than the three combined, but that is how her death played out. I'm also not saying that she is more powerful than Sidious. It's simply what the battle entailed.

Another point I want to make is about the discussion between Sidious and Plagueis about keeping Maul and his purpose that takes place in the novel Darth Plagueis. They agree that Maul is nothing more than an assassin. Sidious lies to Plagueis more than once or conveniently omits information. Taking Sidious at his word that Maul is to be nothing more than an assassin is pointless. Maul was of great value to Sidious, and a mere assassin would not be that important to him. Sidious is pure darkness, and there is no real love or care for someone such as him, or at least not just for the sake of caring. Everything has a purpose for the Sith. Please read item number one found here, and let me know what you think. I know I am crap at debate and that I don't word things well, but hopefully my point can be understood, which is that Sidious put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears - and credits and droids =D - into Maul's training. He cared about Maul. To me, there is only one reason for this: Maul is his intended successor and is the best available at the time.

Also, in a couple other novels, Plagueis acknowledges that Maul is Sidious' apprentice.

I know that you guys don't agree with certain rankings, but I think that there is merit behind the list of the top red lightsaber duelists found in the twice published (post-Disney acquisition) reference book, Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, which places Maul third-above Dooku. I think that one super important point is that, as mentioned before, at the age of 22, Maul was on the same level as Dooku when he was 83 (NG interview given during release of ROTS). As @azronger pointed out above, Maul only became stronger and gained more skill after TPM, which to me means after he was 22 years old (when he was on level with Dooku) he got better. I think he is better than Dooku with a saber, or at least at one point he was. His showing on Tatooine in Rebels, to me, is not indicative of his saber skill. It was indicative of his mental status.

We also have Beware the Sith, which I know you guys have blasted in the past, but I do have Chee's response to me on Twitter that it is just as valid as any other book. It placed TPM Maul > Tyranus in raw power and force ability.

[as to previous reply regarding Sidious being most powerful Sith, I want to add the following: “Taken as a child and trained in the ways of the Sith he became the apprentice to the greatest evil the galaxy has ever known….” ~TWoDM

That's a pretty good reference for a powerful bad guy, IMO.]

I hope that what I'm adding is not off topic of the OP. If I am, then I'm so sorry. Please let me know what you think.

...there are also the c-canon references that Maul is just under Vader, if that matters. also, Maul had red lightning.

No Caption Provided

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RedHeathen

@i_like_swords said:

@redheathen: Yes, and in the thread it's also noted that when Dooku received Maul's training it went beyond "his most spectacular fantasies." It also speaks to Maul's immense Force potential to be so close to the most elite Force users in his twenties.

Red, in the book it's noted that Sidious "had only begun to tap into his reserves," and was just trying to goad Maul into killing him. He was defending himself with a training lightsaber. Sidious wasn't seriously being forced back in that fight.

That is not how I read it, but thank you for pointing that out. I will read it again. You do realize that the Hypori scene is discussed in two books? In TWoDM it doesn't state that Sidious could barely defend himself. That part is in The Dark Side Sourcebook:

No Caption Provided

Even if Sidious had just begun to tap into his reserves, the fact remains that Maul nearly best him and that he could "barely" deflect Maul's blows. Then again, I'm not the most comprehending of persons, so...there's that.

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redheathen:

There is more than one source in Legends and in Canon that state that Maul was taken instead of Talzin because his potential was greater than Talzin's. This was felt when he was an infant.

I know of the one where Sidious takes him from a Nightsister in Legends, which is retconned in Wrath to him being taken from Talzin, to be more congruent with TCW canon. But if I missed anything please post it.

Oh, btw, ILS, where did you get the age of two? We have varying ages for when Sidious took Maul - ranging from infant to small child.

He was first seen training at the age of 2-3 in Wrath of Darth Maul, according to Legends he was taken as months-old infant.

We know how powerful Talzin is from feats in TCW and Son of Dathomir, and Maul was to be greater than that. She stood toe to toe with Sidious, and it took the addition of Dooku to put her on the defense. It was during this moment that GG arrived and killed her. It took three top heavy weights to put her down. I'm not saying she is more powerful than the three combined, but that is how her death played out. I'm also not saying that she is more powerful than Sidious. It's simply what the battle entailed.

Indeed, it's indisputable that in Canon Maul could have been far greater than the hand destiny dealt him.

And yes, you're correct regarding the Plagueis novel. Sidious obviously couldn't and didn't tell Plagueis Maul was a real apprentice to avoid being killed. Plagueis wanted him and Sidious to rule as equals. Your post on quora was great, well sourced.

BTW, I'd greatly appreciate if could post any Maul-related content from Beware The Sith, as I can't get my hands on it. As well as what you said about Maul having red lightning?

Thanks for your contributions Red.

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is not how I read it, but thank you for pointing that out. I will read it again. You do realize that the Hypori scene is discussed in two books? In TWoDM it doesn't state that Sidious could barely defend himself. That part is in The Dark Side Sourcebook:

No Caption Provided

Even if Sidious had just begun to tap into his reserves, the fact remains that Maul nearly best him and that he could "barely" deflect Maul's blows. Then again, I'm not the most comprehending of persons, so...there's that.

The way I interpret it is like this: the Dark Side Sourcebook, almost word for word, copies the text from Maul's point of view in the book, that is to say he was overwhelming Sidious. However, in the primary source, we find out Sidious was toying with Maul and was in no danger. It's very similar to the sourcebooks saying Yoda and Dooku had an "equal fight" or a "titanic clash of Force powers" - it certainly appeared that way at the time, which is what the sourcebooks are summarising, but in reality, Sidious and Yoda were not the equals of their apprentices. They are beyond them, based on more pertinent evidence. Maul was being toyed with and Dooku ran away from a Yoda who didn't even try to use telekinesis on him.

But yeah, I find it hard to believe a 17 year old, badly injured Maul could put Sidious in jeopardy when a prime TCW Maul and Savage can't overpower Sidious with their combined strength. There should be no comparison between Maul and his master.

RedHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll look through my info later.

I've posted a photo that I took of one panel in Beware the Sith, but later today, I'll scan the pages that have the panel on them so you can see the entire section.

...It might be tomorrow morning, but I'll try to get to it today.

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xolthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Well pretty impressive and really worked RT.... GG guys, I really like your way of going in the "fair successor of sidious ". But I will have some questions about this... But not now.

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.