Follow

Star Wars Universe

Concept » Star Wars Universe appears in 1596 issues.

The "galaxy far, far away" in which the Star Wars films and related works take place.

Missconception : Darth Sidious' Force Storm.

xolthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xolthol

"With this knowledge, I can unleash the dark side energies that swirl invisibly around us, even to shatter the fabric of space itself. In this way, I have created storms."

Palpatine, in a recording from The Book of Anger.

One of the most powerfull and destructiv ability of Darth Sidious: Force Storm stay a bit misunderstood...

After reading lots of topics talking about darth Sidious and his ability to create force storm, I've realize that their is few misconception about this ability. I will try here to clear 3 points:

1°) Sidious didn't create this ability and wasn't the first who use it.

2°) Sidious have a perfect control of his force storm.

3°) Sidious cannot summons at will this power.

1°) First Sidious didn't create force Storm and wasn't the first to use it.

Indeed, Darth Rivan (not Revan) during the New Sith Wars, on Almas, used an old artifact known as the Darkstaff, to conjure a force Storm wich destroy his own fleet and made him travelled trought time and space. Yes, Darth Rivan doesn't have control overdose this storm but he have create one.

In the same way, Dark side adepts are also able to conjure this Storm even if like Rivan they didn't have any control over them.

2°)Second Palpatine have a perfect control over this ability.

A common missconception seems to explain that because Sidious died in one of his own force Storm : he didn't have a huge control over them.

This mistake come from the fact that people forget that the Emperor have lost his connection to the force because of a trick of Luke and Leia.

In reality, Palpatine perfectly control them, to the point that he can use them to move Luke and R2-D2 from Corruscant to Byss without harming them (but Corruscant was hugely damaged, six years after continuing to rebuild).

3°)Third point: Sidious cannot summons at will this power.

Last but to my point biggest mistake, Darth Sidious cannot create this power when he want and alone. Lets me explain this point.

During all the DE events, Palpatine can use force Storm when he want without any difficulty, however this was because Luke was alive. It is what Tom Veitch (DE writter) said in his interview from 2016:

(I give you the full quote and precise the interresting point)

"The World Devastators innovated and re-introduced the concept of super-weapons in Star Wars. Then came the Galaxy Gun in Dark Empire II and Empire's End.  Is it Palpatine’s lack of confidence in the power of the dark side even though he is able to create his powerful Force Storms? Or perhaps is it an unhealthy obsession with demonstrating the military might of his regime?

TOM: The super-weapons are there for visual and cinematic reasons...and to give Cam a chance to show his stuff. Also, they answer the question, "What would the Empire build after the Death Star?” The idea of a "galaxy gun" was something that seemed inevitable to me, considering the reality of hyperspace. I was pleased they picked it up for THE FORCE AWAKENS, although they fumbled the concept in a major way, imho.

Note on "Force Storms": The Emperor can't create Force Storms at will. They are in fact a phenomenon that occurs rarely, when the minds of two great Force users meet and struggle with each other at a distance."

So this precisely written : Palpatine cannot create this force Storm except if a powerfull force user face him.

To conclude and before every single critics I'm neither a Sidious-hater nor a Sidious-fanboy, and I've just want to precise some points wich, to me, seems missunderstand.

Hope you'll like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98875cd0f94
    deactivated-5a98875cd0f94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how the control misconception was cleared.

But Sidious can use Storm just fine. He already knew how to do it by ROTJ, just didn't have control. When he factually improved, up to DE, he mastered the power. He already knew it, and can use it when he wants to, as of DE.

xolthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesithmaster:

-Thanks.

-So how you understand the quote of Tom Veicht ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xolthol: The quote is false, and is contradicted by the comic itself, not to mention the audio drama.

In the first Storm, Sidious does connect his mind with Luke, a great Force user- but only after the Storm begun.

And many other storms like that one were detected.

The energy storm that took Commander Skywalker, this is not an isolated event. Similar Storms have been detected in several systems.

Dark Empire Audio Drama

And when Luke was his enemy, Sidious created the Force Storm that wiped out the Rebel fleet. Luke was his enemy, so his mind wouldn't be connecting with Sidious to help him annihilate his friends, lmao. And Luke, when the storm was ongoing, connected minds with Leia to stop the storm, thus he couldn't be hepling Sidious or the storm.

And Palpatine can create them by his own power.

Vast energy storms that connect wildly disparate spots across the galaxy, hyperspace wormholes are unpredictable and devastating. It was to the Rebel Alliance's detriment that Emperor Palpatine was able to not only control these storms, but to create them.

Handbook Volume 3: Dark Empire

The Veitch quote is wrong.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nah, an author's opinion is irrelevant usually, especially if contradicted by the comic and audiodrama themselves.

Sidious can summon a Force Storm at will by Dark Empire.

xolthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesithmaster: -I have an other point of view of this quote : Luke and Sidious are two extremely powerful force users and they know each others so in this way their mind was connected. Because they are fighting each others (not in a single battle but in a war) their are struggling each others (it is the way that I interpret this quote).

-Yes I agree that palpatine can create them but this is because of the existence of Luke, without him sheev cannot do that.(In the way that I have interpreted the quote)

-when you say : "the quote is wrong" you want to say :"this is a false quote, Tom Veicht never said that" or "This is a quote of Tom Veicht, but he says something wrong" ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xolthol:

I have an other point of view of this quote : Luke and Sidious are two extremely powerful force users and they know each others so in this way their mind was connected.

Their mind was connected just when Sidious was mind dominating Luke. The storm that took down the fleet was after that. And the Coruscant storm also didn't require Luke. And even then, Luke wouldn't be helping Sidious, he would be enslaved to Sidious which doesn't make Luke help him.

And there is no proof at all their mind was always connected.

Because they are fighting each others (not in a single battle but in a war) their are struggling each others (it is the way that I interpret this quote).

Yeah, they're physically at war, but that doesn't mean their minds are automatically connected.

Yes I agree that palpatine can create them but this is because of the existence of Luke, without him sheev cannot do that.

Palpatine can create Storms with or without the existence of Luke.

Shortly before or by early ROTJ, when he didn't even know Luke, Sidious already knew Force Storm- he had not, however, perfected it.

Using this knowledge, I can unleash the dark side energies that are all around us, even to shatter the fabric of space itself. In this way, I have created storms.

Through a simple act of will, I can generate Force Storms, energy storms that are vastly destructive and virtually unstoppable. Although triggering such storms requires merely thought and inclination, I admit I am not yet able to completely control the phenomenon. Among my goals is to perfect this control.

Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Heck, he even used it to teleport his essence light years across space.

The moment the Emperor "died" at the Battle of Endor, Droga fell into an inexplicable insanity, butchering his crew and causing the Emperor's Shadow to plunge into Kaal's oceans. Even as he perished, Palpatine used the dark side knowledge the Sith Lords had granted him years earlier to rend space itself and transmigrate his essence across lightyears to Droga's body.

Gamer #5

DE Sidious, who is considerably more powerful than ROTJ Sidious, mastered it, given how he practiced and grew in power by a considerable amount.

Luke or not, Sidious can create Force Storms.

xolthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesithmaster: I think you miss my point... This isn't a real mind connection but more the fact that this to entities exist and are exact opposite, Sidious is the embodiment of the dark side and Luke the one of the light side. Because of the real existence of them and their impact on the force itself, sidious was able to summon the force storm, even if he didn't know that Luke exist. It is in this way that I understand the quote, not in the way of a concrete mind connection and a concrete struggle of Sidious and Luke. You've my point?

LordOfTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordOfTheLight

Sidious can factually summon force storms at will. There is no need to add unnecessary forced and deliberate context here, which you have simply pulled out of thin air and are now doing mental gymnastics and grasping for straws to justify.

And besides Tom Veitch is a guy that actually thinks Exar Kun can measure up to him. I would take his words with a pinch of salt. Author opinions are rarely infallible.

xolthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofthelight: Is DE the first time that Sidious use Force storm ? (In IRL chronology) because if it is , Veicht is factually the conceptor of this power so he should know how it's work, and what is the real extend of Sidious use....

Freedon_nadd_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Freedon_nadd_1

@xolthol said:

@lordofthelight: Is DE the first time that Sidious use Force storm ? (In IRL chronology) because if it is , Veicht is factually the conceptor of this power so he should know how it's work, and what is the real extend of Sidious use....

In Dark Empire, yes, he uses it for the first time.

Back on your thread, Palpatine does not need any mental link with anyone(lightsider or darksider); Palpatine has already stated that he only needs to manipulate dark side energies around him(dark side nexuses: like his Eclipses or Byss)

"With this knowledge, I can unleash the dark side energies that swirl invisibly around us, even to shatter the fabric of space itself. In this way, I have created storms."

@lordofthelight said:

And besides Tom Veitch is a guy that actually thinks Exar Kun can measure up to him. I would take his words with a pinch of salt. Author opinions are rarely infallible.

First of all, Tom Veitch is the author of the Dark Empire and co(?)-author of Tales of the Jedi's Exar Kun. He knows both of these characters. If he says that Exar Kun>Palpatine; then it should be true. But, hey, at least Exar Kun wasn't cut off from the Force by a Golden Age Jedi Master who was also on a light side nexus. On the other hand, Palpatine was cut off from the Force(while attached on a dark side nexus{the Eclipse}) by Luke, a baby, and Leia's inferior Wall of Light version(Force harmony). It's not like Lucas saying Sidious>Abeloth because he doesn't have EU knowledge. And in his mind Sidious being the strongest Sith Lord is in his own canon(mind)

But let's not make a thread within a thread. Because it's threadception.

xolthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freedon_nadd_1: I don't see that as a mental link more an impact of the very existence of Luke and Sidious in the Force: like IRL a planet in the galaxy have a gravitational impact on the space-time continum...

And it is not because Sidious doesn't know that he needs the presence of Luke, that he doesn't factualy need it. You've my point?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.