Follow

Star Wars Universe

Concept » Star Wars Universe appears in 1581 issues.

The "galaxy far, far away" in which the Star Wars films and related works take place.

Luke Skywalker Respect Thread: Rebellion Era Part 2

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By WollfMyth209

Before reading this, please read Part 1 for Luke's physical and Force abilities.

Note:This is best viewed in blog format.

No Caption Provided

Combat skill -- Accolades

Kharys, someone who had a portion of Darth Vader's knowledge and power, is impressed by Luke’s skill:

Excellent, young one. You’re even more impressive than I’d hoped.

Star Wars Annual #1

Luke is extraordinarily gifted with the blade, and holds up against a Dark Lord of the Sith at the height of his powers:

In his duel against Darth Vader on Bespin, Luke Skywalker reveals himself as an extraordinarily gifted artist with the blade who has largely taught himself. After a single brief session with Obi-Wan Kenobi years ago, and only a short time with Yoda, Skywalker is able to hold up against a Dark Lord of the Sith at the height of his powers.

Insider #62: Fightsaber

Luke has a natural ability with the lightsaber, and learns rapidly:

Luke has a natural ability with a saber and begins to learn rapidly from his mentor Ben Kenobi.

Star Wars Visual Dictionary: Episodes IV, V and VI

Darth Vader claims that Luke is very good for a child, that he was trained well by Kenobi and that he has a natural ability with the saber. Later on Bespin, Vader is even more impressed by his fighting prowess:

"You are good, Skywalker," he declared. "Very good indeed, for a child. But the end will be the same."

[…]

Again the two enemies paused, only now it was Vader who was panting heavily. "Kenobi trained you well," the Dark Lord admitted admiringly. Some of his usual insouciance had been drained by the steady fighting. "And you have some natural ability of your own. You have proven a challenge. I enjoy a challenge."

Splinter Of the Mind’s Eye

Skywalker is lured into the Dark Lord's sinister trap, but avoids being frozen and impresses Vader with his fighting prowess.

The Ultimate Visual Guide

Luke shows great ability in his fight with Darth Vaderas he proves to be a challenge for Vader:

Although he had been only briefly instructed by Yoda, Luke Skywalker showed great ability in the Force during his duel with Darth Vader on Bespin. He had enough strength to challenge Vader, but Luke was far too hasty.

Lightsabers: A Guide to the Weapons of the Force

Luke by Return of the Jedi has advanced greatly, has unparalleled aptitude with a lightsaber, allowing him to stalemate Darth Vader and his learning curve was considered impossible to most:

By the time of the Battle of Endor, Luke Skywalker has studied some lightsaber technique from Obi-Wan's journal and and greatly advanced his abilities. Without a Master, such advancement would have been impossible for most, but Skywalker's unparalleled aptitude makes him a match for Darth Vader in their fateful duel onboard the second Death Star.

A Jedi Master would be astonished by Luke's learning in battle:

In his final assault on Vader, Luke Skywalker mirrors Vader's own Form V technique and responds with a furious demonstration of Form V's raw strength. An observing Jedi Master would be astonished at such instantaneous learning in battle.

Luke is once again noted as an equal of Darth Vader:

The fight this time was far more balanced. Vader discovered that Luke was his match, and, once again, the Sith Lord found his thoughts straying to an alliance between them against the Emperor.

Luke had indeed grown powerful since Bespin, and he was an equal match for his father.

The Official Star Wars Fact File #111

Combat Skill -- Feats

(Canon) Luke, with barely any training, holds an advantage over Sarco until the latter resorts to cheap tactics:

"Nobody's Padawan, the last apprentice of an extinct religion," Sarco said. "Care for a duel?"

Luke felt his anger rising. Sarco had proposed the one thing he wanted most-a chance to show off his new skills and show the arrogant alien what a mistake he'd made.

He exhaled slowly, lightsaber held at his waist, as Sarco spun his staff in a blur of deadly purple.

"I should thank you, Nobody's Padawan," he said. "I've been looking for a way into this place for years-and now you've been good enough to find one for me."

"And now you know there's nothing left here for you to steal."

Sarco's vocoder erupted in amused static.

"That's where you're wrong, Nobody's Padawan. The Empire bombed the temple, but the vaults and storerooms below are intact. I've got debts to pay, and what's beneath our feet will take care of that and more. Pity you won't get to see the wealth your precious sorcerers left behind."

"The Jedi didn't stockpile wealth like that," Luke said. "The only treasures here are what's around you."

Sarco turned his chitinous mask to take in the broken statues and uprooted flagstones, then returned his scrutiny to Luke.

"Do you know what I'm going to do after I defeat you, Nobody's Padawan?" he asked. "First I'll sell whatever's left of you to the governor. Then I'll sell your fighter and melt those droids into scrap. As for your saber, it will fetch good credits from some collector. Or perhaps I'll keep it as one of my trophies."

"None of those things is going to happen," Luke said, and leapt forward, lightsaber held over his head.

Sarco fell back, and Luke's vicious downward cut bit into the flagstones, sending up sparks. The alien held his staff up to parry as Luke stalked him.

"You don't know the first thing about Jedi," Luke said. "Starting with their weapons."

Sarco raised his staff, and Luke brought the saber down, expecting the ancient weapon to cleave the Scavenger's staff in two. But the saber met resistance as Sarco's staff caught the blade and held it, sending a shock up Luke's arms. Sarco gave way, and Luke stumbled forward. Then the alien kicked the young rebel in the face, sending him sprawling.

"You ruffian!" yelled Threepio.

"This is an electrostaff, Nobody's Padawan," Sarco said as Luke struggled to his feet, spitting out blood. "A useful tool-and one designed to kill Jedi."

Farnay looked around the courtyard in desperation. Luke hoped she wouldn't try anything foolish-the Scavenger would kill her with barely a thought.

Sarco leapt forward, the electrostaff whining with what sounded like a terrible glee. Luke got his lightsaber up and knocked the weapon aside, but Sarco followed him, sweeping at his stomach with the staff. Luke turned aside as Sarco charged and aimed a slash at the alien's back-but Sarco had anticipated the attack and batted Luke's blade away, leaping over a crater in the glade and turning to regard his opponent.

"It's a pity," he said. "In a couple of years you might have passed for a Jedi. But now you're just a boy with a blade you're not worthy of. A dreamer, Marcus. Pretending to be something you're not."

"The Force is with me," Luke said. "That's more than you'll ever have."

He carved a figure eight in the air in front of him, telling himself to let the Force guide his hand. Sarco stepped back, then tried to dodge around Luke's defenses. Quicker than thought, Luke's lightsaber was there to meet the electrostaff, pushing Sarco back.

The alien grunted and spun away from Luke's blade, tumbling forward and then leaping at Luke's unprotected back, electrostaff wailing. But the blow never landed-and then the brilliant blue blade was slashing at Sarco's head. He caught the blade on his staff and scrambled aside, the bristles on his arms rising and falling as if they were breathing hard.

"Not bad, Nobody's Padawan," he said. "Your teacher would praise you. If you had a teacher."

Again Sarco attacked, electrostaff thrust in front of him like a spear. Luke knocked the tip aside, but Sarco's charge was too powerful to deflect. He ducked, and Sarco stumbled past, Luke's lightsaber flashing behind him and nicking the back of the alien's leg.

Sarco grunted, one chitinous hand going to the cut on his thigh. His cilia flailed back and forth, and the hairs on his arms spasmed.

Farnay scrambled to Artoo's side. He beeped at her in dismay.

"No more games, boy," Sarco said, touching a button on the control box that sat on his chest. Motors squealed and a hidden shield emerged from inside his helmet, covering his chitinous face. He opened a pouch on his tool belt and extracted a small black sphere.

"Master Luke, look out!" Threepio yelped as Sarco tossed the object at Luke-some kind of grenade, he thought.

Luke watched it calmly, his lightsaber already moving to intercept it. Interrupting the grenade's trajectory would be easy enough.

But that wasn't the Scavenger's plan.

The grenade detonated at the apex of its flight, a meter before Luke would have sliced it in two.

A blinding flash of light and a thunderclap of noise filled the courtyard. The concussion knocked Luke backward into the overflow from the fountain. He staggered to his feet, lightsaber in hand, blood running from his nose.

The Weapon of a Jedi

Luke defeats Guri:

She leaped at him -- She was impossibly fast. On his own, he'd never have dodged, but he was permeated with the Force.

He stepped to his right and kicked at her as she flew past. Hit her on the hip and knocked her sideways, but not off her feet.

"Good," she said.

Glad she thought so. She was supernaturally fast, and it was only by holding to the Force that he could begin to match her.

She circled, looked for an opening-"Luke-!"

Leia's scream distracted him. He flicked his gaze toward the sound of her voice, saw her and the others turn to look at him-It was enough for Guri. She took a long, sliding step and punched-Luke backpedaled, but even so, her fist hit him in the belly hard.

"Oooff!"

She followed up with an elbow, but he dived away, rolled and turned, came up with his hands lifted as she darted after him - He lost contact with the Force. He was on his own - She slapped him next to the ear and he went down, dazed. If he didn't do something fast, she was going to kill him!

The Force. Let it work for you, Luke.

Luke heard Ben's voice calling as if from a great distance, echoing across time and space. Yes. He managed a breath as Guri raised her hand, formed now into a blade instead of a fist, a grin of triumph lighting her features-When he blew out his air, he blew his fear out with it.

He had to trust the Force completely-Guri slowed, as if she were suddenly mired in thickened time. He saw her hand descending, saw it moving to smash him, but it was so incredibly slow, why, he could easily just roll aside and stand, before she ever reached him...

He did so. He felt as if he were moving at normal, speed, though there was a crackling feeling to his motion, a sound like a strong wind whistling about his ears.

He came up, pivoted, thrust his open palm against the descending chop, shoved it aside. He used his left leg, a sweep that caught Guri behind the right ankle. Her feet left the floor, still moving in slow motion, and she fell, floated down, hit flat on her back...

Time speeded up.

Leia's yell still echoed down the corridor.

Guri hit the floor. He had never heard anybody fall that hard; it was a thump that shook him where he stood.

It stunned her.

Luke pulled his lightsaber, ignited it. This droid was deadly, too dangerous to remain in existence. He lifted the blade. Lying on her back, stunned, she managed to smile. "You won fairly," she said. "Go ahead."

Shadows of the Empire

(Canon) Luke Skywalker fights two MagnaGuards, despite being injured. Note that inbetween the two scans below, a fight overlapses it so most of the fight happens off-panel, but we know Luke contended with the droids for a considerable amount of time:

(Canon) Luke Skywalker fights Boba Fettdespite just enduring a close-range explosion and being blinded:

Boba Fett was still regarded as the galaxies deadliest Bounty Hunter(placing him canonically ahead of Aurra Sing, Cad Bane or Bossk):

Over the years, Boba developed a reputation as the galaxy’s deadliest bounty hunter. He wore Mandalorian armor reminiscent of his father’s, beat up from his many jobs, and piloted the fearsome Slave I starship. He became one of Jabba the Hutt’s go-to mercenaries, and was present during a tense meeting between the gangster and Han Solo.

StarWars Databank: Boba Fett

Luke fights and stalemates Flint, while holding back

Luke fights and defeats Kharys, after resisting her telepathic probes. Kharys was one of Vader's best pupils and had an environmental advantage in this fight, making it all the more impressive(this is pre-Yoda training folks):

Luke, pre-Yoda training, manages to briefly hold his own against Celeste Morne:

Luke duels and defeats Orman Tagge, who was disguised as Vader:

Luke fights Master Yoda in a spar, and while he's initially outclassed, he later manages to win via Saber-Throw(Yoda was obviously holding back, though):

Luke fights Lumiya, twice. In their first fight, the unfamiliarity and unorthodoxy of her weapon helps her win out:

However, in their second fight when Luke started using Jar'Kai, he defeated the Dark Lady:

Luke fights with Darth Vaderwhile amped by the Kaiburr Crystal, and even manages to wound him, although Vader was mostly playing around, though he was still impressed by Luke's skill:

The Dark Lord lunged and Luke spun well clear. At the same time, Vader was staring not at Luke, but at the ground. A small fragment of the fallen ceiling rose, shot straight for Luke's head. Seeing it coming, he reacted as Kenobi had taught him? without thinking.

A much smaller stone lifted and intersected the path of the charging rock. The two met. Though Vader's missile was by far the larger, it was deflected just enough by Luke's rock to send it shooting past his shoulder harmlessly.

Panting, he stared challengingly back at Vader. "Good, boy," the Dark Lord confessed, "very good. But my stone was the heavier. My powers are the stronger."

"Not strong enough, Vader," Luke insisted as he lunged forward. His thoughts were of Kenobi, of the techniques of saber and Force the old Jedi knight had laboriously taught him. He tried to let the Force guide his arm.

Vader parried, blocked, parried again, and found himself being forced backward by the aggressiveness and skill of Luke's demonic attack. The breath mask tilted back for a second. A section of heavy bas-relief on one of the supporting pillars was loosened, fell away.

At the last instant Luke sensed it, jumped backward. The huge carved panel shattered between them. Both men rested uneasily as the dust settled. Luke gulped for air, while Vader showed less aplomb and increasing tension.

"You are good, Skywalker," he declared. "Very good indeed, for a child. But the end will be the same." He raised his saber and came charging over the broken panel.

Now it was the Dark Lord who initiated the assault. Luke found himself forced steadily backward as Vader threw an unceasing blizzard of stone shards and saber cuts at him. It was impossible to counter them all.

Somehow Luke did so.

They were circling in the center of the temple floor now. Lying on her side, the Princess tried to turn and watch. The pain of her wounds rose about her like a steel wall. Around her thoughts the wall closed, and in response her eyes closed and she slumped back to the cold, cold stone.

Again the two enemies paused, only now it was Vader who was panting heavily. "Kenobi trained you well," the Dark Lord admitted admiringly. Some of his usual insouciance had been drained by the steady fighting. "And you have some natural ability of your own. You have proven a challenge. I enjoy a challenge."

Still unhurt, Luke whispered defiantly, "Too much of a challenge for you!"

"No," Vader assured him, "You overestimate yourself, child." The Dark Lord drew himself up to his full, awesome height. "I have finished playing with you."

Swinging his saber until it was no more than a blue blur in the dank air of the temple, he leaped straight up into the air. It was more than a jump, less than levitation. Out of the blue circle of energy he flung the saber.

Instinctively he had no time to think Luke parried. The Force inherent in the thrown saber knocked Luke's out of his hand. Both weapons flew off to the right and lay, still gleaming, still activated, on the ground, near a dark circular opening that gaped black in the floor.

Splinter Of the Mind's Eye

(Canon) Luke Skywalker challenges Darth Vaderin their fateful duel on Bespin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY

Lightsabers clashed in Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader's battle on the platform above the carbon-freezing chamber.

Luke felt the shaking platform shudder with every blow and parry and thrust of their weapons. But he was undaunted, for with every thrust of his sword he drove the evil Darth Vader back.

Vader, using his lightsaber to ward off Luke's aggressive lunges, spoke calmly as they fought. 'The fear does not reach you. You have learned more than I anticipated.'

'You'll find I'm full of surprises,' the confident youth retorted, threatening Vader with yet another thrust.

'And I, too,' was the calm, portentous reply.

With two graceful moves, the Dark Lord hooked Luke's weapon out of his hands and sent it flying away. A slash of Vader's energy blade at Luke's feet made the youth jump back in an effort to protect himself. But he stumbled backward, and tumbled down the stairs.

Sprawled on the platform, Luke gazed up and saw the ominous dark figure looming above him at the top of the stairs. Then the figure flew right at him, its sable cloak billowing out in the air like the wings of a monstrous bat.

Quickly Luke rolled to one side, not taking his eyes off Vader, as the vast black figure landed soundlessly next to him.

'Your future lies with me, Skywalker,' Vader hissed, looming over the crouching youth. 'Now you will embrace the dark side. Obi-Wan knew this to be true.'

'No!' Luke yelled, trying to fight off the evil presence.

'There is much Obi-Wan did not tell you,' Vader continued. 'Come, I will complete your training.'

Vader's influence was incredibly strong; it seemed to Luke like a thing alive.

Don't listen to him, Luke told himself. He is trying to trick me, to lead me astray, to lead me to the dark side of the Force, just like Ben warned me!

Luke began to back away from the advancing Sith Lord. Behind the youth, the hydraulic elevator cover silently opened, ready to receive him.

'I'll die first,' Luke proclaimed.

'That won't be necessary.' The Dark Lord suddenly lunged at Luke with his lightsaber, so forcefully that the youth lost his balance and tumbled into the gaping opening.

Vader turned away from the freezing-pit and casually deactivated his lightsaber. 'All too easy,' he shrugged. 'Perhaps you are not as strong as the Emperor thought.'

As he spoke, molten metal began to pour into the opening behind him. And, while his back was still turned, something rose in a blur upward.

'Time will tell,' Luke quietly replied to Vader's remark.

The Dark Lord spun around. At this point in the freezing process, the subject certainly shouldn't be able to speak! Vader glanced around the room and then turned his helmeted head up toward the ceiling.

Hanging from some hoses draped across the ceiling, Luke was suspended, having leaped some five meters into the air to escape the carbonite.

'Impressive,' Vader admitted, 'your agility is impressive.'

Luke dropped back to the platform on the other side of the steaming pit. He reached his hand out and his sword, lying on another part of the platform, flew back into his grip. Immediately the lightsaber ignited.

Vader's sword sprang to life at the very same moment. 'Ben has taught you well. You have controlled your fear. Now release your anger. I destroyed your family. Take your revenge.'

But this time Luke was cautious and more controlled. If he could subdue his anger, as he had finally controlled his fear, he would not be swayed.

Remember the training, Luke cautioned himself. Remember what Yoda taught! Cast out all hatred and anger and receive the Force!

Gaining control over his negative feelings, Luke began to advance, ignoring Vader's goading. He lunged at Vader and, after a quick exchange, began to force him back.

'Your hatred can give you the power to destroy me,' Vader tempted. 'Use it.'

Luke began to realize just how awesomely powerful his dark enemy was, and softly told himself, 'I will not become a slave to the dark side of the Force,' and moved cautiously toward Vader.

As Luke approached, Vader slowly moved backward in retreat. Luke lunged at him with a powerful swing. But when Vader blocked it, he lost his balance and fell into the outer rim of steaming pipes.

Luke's knees nearly buckled with the exhaustion of battling his fearsome opponent. He gathered his strength and cautiously moved to the edge and looked down. But he saw no sign of Vader. Switching off his lightsaber and hooking it into his belt, Luke lowered himself into the pit.

He dropped to the floor of the pit and found himself in a large control and maintenance room that overlooked the reactor powering the entire city. Looking around the chamber, he noticed a large window; standing silhouetted in front of it was the unmoving figure of Darth Vader.

Luke slowly moved closer to the window and reignited his lightsaber.

But Vader did not light his own sword, nor did he make any effort to defend himself as Luke drew nearer. The Dark Lord's only weapon, in fact, was his tempting voice. 'Attack,' he goaded the young Jedi. 'Destroy me.'

Confused by Vader's ploy, Luke hesitated.

'Only by taking your revenge can you save yourself..."

Luke stood locked in place. Should he act on Vader's words and thus use the Force as a tool of revenge? Or should he step away from this battle now, hoping for another chance to fight Vader when he had gained better control?

No, how could he delay the opportunity to destroy this evil being? Here was his chance, now, and he must not delay ...

There might never again be such an opportunity!

Luke grasped his deadly lightsaber in both hands, tightly gripping the smooth handle like an ancient broadsword and raising the weapon to deliver the blow that would slay this masked horror.

But before he could swing, a large piece of machinery detached itself from the wall behind him and came hurtling at his back. Turning instantly, Luke flashed his lightsaber and cut the thing in half, and the two massive pieces crashed to the floor.

A second piece of machinery sped toward the youth, and again he used the Force to deflect it. The weighty object bounced away as if it had struck an unseen shield. Then a large pipe came tumbling toward him through the air. But even as Luke repelled that enormous object, tools and pieces of machinery came flying at him from all directions. Then wires, that pulled themselves out of the walls, came twisting and sparking and whipping at him.

Bombarded on all sides, Luke did what he could to deflect the assault; but he was beginning to get bloodied and bruised in the attempt.

Another large piece of machinery glanced off Luke's body and crashed out the large window, letting in the screaming wind. Suddenly everything in the room was blown about, and the fierce wind lashed Luke's body and filled the room with a bansheelike howl.

And in the very center of the room, standing still and triumphant, was Darth Vader.

'You are beaten,' the Dark Lord of the Sith gloated. 'It is useless to resist. You will join me or you will join Obi-Wan in death!'

As Vader spoke those words, a final piece of heavy machinery soared through the air, striking the young Jedi and knocking him through the broken window. Everything became a great blur as the wind carried him, tossing and rolling, until he managed to grab hold of a beam with one hand.

When the wind subsided a bit and his vision cleared, Luke realized that he was hanging from the gantry of the reactor shaft outside the control room. When he gazed down he saw what appeared to be an endless abyss. A wave of dizziness swept over him and he squeezed his eyes closed in an effort to keep from panicking.

Compared to the podlike reactor from which he hung, Luke was no more than a speck of squirming matter, while the pod itself - just one of many jutting from the circular, light-dotted inner wall - was no more than a speck itself in comparison with the rest of the immense chamber.

Grasping the beam firmly with only one hand, Luke managed to hook his lightsaber on to his belt and then grab the beam with both hands. Hoisting himself up, he scrambled onto the gantry and stood on it, just in time to see Darth Vader walking toward him down the shaft.

As Vader approached Luke, the public address system began to blare, echoing through the cavernous rooms: 'Fugitives heading toward Platform 327. Secure all transports. All security forces on alert.'

Walking menacingly toward Luke, Vader predicted, 'Your friends will never escape and neither will you.'

Vader took another step, and Luke immediately raised his sword, ready to renew the battle.

'You are beaten,' Vader stated with horrifying certainty and finality. 'It is useless to resist.'

But Luke did resist. He lunged at the Dark Lord with a vicious blow, bringing his sizzling laser blade to crash onto Vader's armor and sear through to the flesh. Vader staggered from the blow, and it seemed to Luke that he was in pain. But only for a moment. Then, once again, Vader began to move toward him.

Taking another step, the Dark Lord warned, 'Don't let yourself be destroyed as Obi-Wan was.'

Luke was breathing hard, cold sweat dropping from his forehead. But the sound of Ben's name instilled a sudden resolve in him.

'Calm-' he reminded himself. 'Be calm.'

But the grimly cloaked specter stalked toward him along the narrow gantry, and it seemed he wanted the young Jedi's life.

Or worse, his fragile soul.

[...]

The wind that shrieked though the reactor shaft entirely absorbed the sounds of the clashing lightsabers.

Luke moved agilely across the gantry and took refuge beneath a huge instrument panel to evade his pursuing foe. But Vader was there in an instant, his lightsaber thrashing down like a pulsating guillotine blade, cutting the instrument complex loose. The complex began to fall, but was abruptly caught by the wind and blown upward.

An instant of distraction was all Vader needed. As the instrument panel floated away, Luke involuntarily glanced at it. At that second, the Dark Lord's laser blade came slashing down across Luke's hand, cutting it, and sending the youth's lightsaber flying.

The Empire Strikes Back novelisation

It is even noted Vader's only dominant edge was experience, implying Luke was a good challenge:

It is only Vader's much greater experience that gives the Dark Lord the dominant edge in battle.

(Canon) A year later, Luke duels Darth Vader again, and the two stand evenly matched until Luke taps into his anger and defeats his father:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ_j3s5xj8I&t=1s

On the Death Star, Luke and Darth Vader were engaged in a duel that was even more vicious than their battle on Cloud City. Luke had grown stronger since their last encounter, and his skill with his lightsaber had improved greatly. As they swung at each other in the Emperor’s throne room, Luke sensed the advantage had shifted to him.

Luke drove Vader back to the stairway that descended to the turbolifts, then kicked out with his left leg, knocking Vader from the upper platform. Vader groaned as he flipped over backward and landed on the metal floor below.

[...]

When Vader was almost beside Luke, he said, “You are unwise to lower your defenses.” He brought his lightsaber up fast, but Luke ignited his own lightsaber in time and blocked the attack. Vader swung again and again, and Luke parried each blow. Then their blades met and they maintained the contact, keeping their lightsabers braced against each other. Over the humming of the lightsabers, Luke heard Vader’s labored breathing and realized, He’s getting tired.

Vader broke the contact and swung hard at Luke, but Luke evaded the red blur of his opponent’s weapon and jumped backward, landing in a duty post that was encircled by eight illuminated control consoles. As Vader brought his lightsaber up between two console pedestals, Luke deactivated his own lightsaber and leaped high toward the ceiling, executing a reverse flip that delivered him to a catwalk that stretched above the throne room. Landing on his feet, Luke looked down from the catwalk to see Vader, still standing beside the duty post, breathing hard.

Luke said, “Your thoughts betray you, father. I feel the good in you … the conflict.

There is no conflict,” Vader said.

Luke moved across the catwalk so he was positioned above the stairway. Gazing down at Vader, he said, “You couldn’t bring yourself to kill me before, and I don’t believe you’ll destroy me now.

You underestimate the power of the dark side,” Vader answered from below. “If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny.” His right arm moved fast, and he hurled his still-activated lightsaber up at Luke.

Luke ducked the lightsaber, but its blade cut through the supports that held the catwalk. Luke felt the catwalk drop, and sparks showered around him as the metal supports tore from the ceiling and he tumbled to the floor below. Uninjured, he rolled under the Emperor’s elevated platform and ducked into a dark alcove.

Vader’s lightsaber had deactivated after it had sliced through the catwalk supports. As the Dark Lord of the Sith descended the stairs, he extended his hand and his lightsaber traveled through the air to return to his grip. Behind him, the Emperor rose from his seat, laughed, and said, “Good. Good.”

Vader activated his lightsaber and went hunting for his son.

[...]

Sister!” Vader said. “So … you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her, too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will.

No!” Luke screamed in anger as he ignited his lightsaber and rushed at Vader. Sparks flew as they traded blows in the cramped area, and Luke felt the hatred within him build with each passing second. You’ll never take Leia, and you’ll never take me!

He kept swinging, forcing Vader to retreat from under the platform until they arrived at the short bridge that overlooked the elevator shaft. Vader fell back against the bridge’s railing, then was knocked to his knees. As he raised his lightsaber to block another onslaught, Luke slashed through Vader’s right hand, severing it at the wrist. Metal and electronic parts flew from Vader’s shattered stump, and his lightsaber clattered uselessly away, rolling over the edge of the bridge and into the apparently bottomless shaft below.

Luke angled his lightsaber at Vader’s throat, then held the blade there, watching Vader’s struggling form.

Return of the Jedi junior novelisation

Slowly, Luke and Vader circled. Lightsaber high above his head, Luke readied his attack from classic first-position; the Dark Lord held a lateral stance, in classic answer. Without announcement, Luke brought his blade straight down - then, when Vader moved to parry, Luke feinted and cut low. Vader counterparried, let the impact direct his sword toward Luke's throat... but Luke met the riposte and stepped back. The first blows, traded without injury. Again, they circled.

Vader was impressed with Luke's speed. Pleased, even. It was a pity, almost, he couldn't let the boy kill the Emperor yet. Luke wasn't ready for that, emotionally. There was still a chance Luke would return to his friends if he destroyed the Emperor now. He needed more extensive tutelage, first - training by both Vader and Palpatine - before he'd be ready to assume his place at Vader's right hand, ruling the galaxy.

So Vader had to shepherd the boy through periods like this, stop him from doing damage in the wrong places - or in the right places prematurely.

Before Vader could gather his thoughts much further, though, Luke attacked again - much more aggressively. He advanced in a flurry of lunges, each met with a loud crack of Vader's phosphorescent saber. The Dark Lord retreated a step at every slash, swiveling once to bring his cutting beam up viciously - but Luke batted it away, pushing Vader back yet again. The Lord of the Sith momentarily lost his footing on the stairs and tumbled to his knees.

Luke stood above him, at the top of the staircase, heady with his own power. It was in his hands, now, he knew it was: he could take Vader. Take his blade, take his life. Take his place at the Emperor's side. Yes, even that. Luke didn't bury the thought, this time; he gloried in it. He engorged himself with its juices, felt its power tingle his cheeks. It made him feverish, this thought, with lust so overpowering as to totally obliterate all other considerations.

[...]

In that instant, Vader attacked. He lunged half up the stairs, forcing Luke to reverse defensively. He bound the boy's blade with his own, but Luke disengaged and leaped to the safety of an overhead gantry. Vader jumped over the railing to the floor beneath the platform on which Luke stood.

'I will not fight you, Father,' Luke stated.

'You are unwise to lower your defenses,' Vader warned. His anger was layered, now - he did not want to win if the boy was not battling to the fullest. But if winning meant he had to kill a boy who wouldn't fight... then he could do that, too. Only he wanted Luke to be aware of those consequences. He wanted Luke to know this was no longer just a game. This was Darkness.

Luke heard something else, though. 'Your thoughts betray you, Father. I feel the good in you ... the conflict. You could not bring yourself to kill me before - and you won't destroy me now.' Twice before, in fact - to Luke's recollection - Vader could have killed him, but didn't. In the dogfight over the first Death Star, and later in the lightsaber duel on Bespin. He thought of Leia, briefly now, too - of how Vader had had her in his clutches once, had even tortured her ... but didn't kill her. He winced to think of her agony, but quickly pushed that from his mind. The point was clear to him, now, though so often so murky: there was still good in his father.

This accusation really made Vader angry. He could tolerate much from the insolent child, but this was insufferable. He must teach this boy a lesson he would never forget, or die learning. 'Once again, you underestimate the power of the dark side ...'

Vader threw his scintillating blade - it sliced through the supports holding up the gantry on which Luke was perched, then swept around and flew back into Vader's hand. Luke tumbled to the ground, then rolled down another level, under the tilting platform. In the shadow of the darkened overhang, he was out of sight. Vader paced the area like a cat, seeking the boy; but he wouldn't enter the shadows of the overhang.

[...]

Vader's consciousness invaded that private place.

'No!' screamed Luke.

Vader was incredulous. 'Sister? Sister!' he bellowed. 'Your feelings have now betrayed her, too ... Twins!' he roared triumphantly. 'Obi-Wan was wise to hide her, but now his failure is complete.' His smile was clear to Luke, through the mask, through the shadows, through all the realms of Darkness. 'If you will not turn to the Dark Side, perhaps she will.'

This, then, was Luke's breaking point. For Leia was everyone's last unflagging hope. If Vader turned his twisted, misguided cravings on her ...

'Never!' he screamed. His lightsaber flew off Vader's belt into his own hand, igniting as it came to him.

He rushed to his father with a frenzy he'd never known. Nor had Vader. The gladiators battled fiercely, sparks flying from the clash of their radiant weapons, but it was soon evident that the advantage was all Luke's. And he was pressing it. They locked swords, body to body. When Luke pushed Vader back to break the clinch, the Dark Lord hit his head on an over-hanging beam in the cramped space. He stumbled backward even farther, out of the low-hanging area. Luke pursued him relentlessly.

Blow upon blow, Luke forced Vader to retreat - back, onto the bridge that crossed the vast, seemingly bottomless shaft to the power core. Each stroke of Luke's saber pummeled Vader, like accusations, like screams, like shards of hate.

The Dark Lord was driven to his knees. He raised his blade to block yet another onslaught - and Luke slashed Vader's right hand off at the wrist.

The hand, along with bits of metal, wires, and electronic devices, clattered uselessly away while Vader's lightsaber tumbled over the edge of the span, into the endless shaft below, without a trace.

Return of the Jedi novelisation

Thanks for reading :)
    Thanks for reading :)
    Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

More divine work!

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WollfMyth209
    @azronger said:

More divine work!

Thank you Az, love. :)

I've raised Luke in my researching for this RT.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Azronger

ESB Luke is the most skilled being Vader has faced in many years:

https://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/17/73/92/12/luke10.png

Credit to DarthAnt66

Avatar image for amethystgravity
    AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic work! Also, why was Celeste Morne trying to fight Luke? I don't know much about her, but when Muur isn't controlling her, isn't she a Jedi?

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic work! Also, why was Celeste Morne trying to fight Luke? I don't know much about her, but when Muur isn't controlling her, isn't she a Jedi?

Thanks. Celeste thought Luke was Vader's agent.

@azronger said:

ESB Luke is the most skilled being Vader has faced in many years:

https://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/17/73/92/12/luke10.png

Credit to DarthAnt66

Oooh, noice. Any knowledge what the source is?

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.