Follow

Star Wars Universe

Concept » Star Wars Universe appears in 1596 issues.

The "galaxy far, far away" in which the Star Wars films and related works take place.

How powerful was Old Ben Kenobi? Maul vs. Ben Kenobi

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Erkan12

One of the rare moments that Kenobi overestimates his own skills as a Jedi;

No Caption Provided

"Come on, then, Kenobi! Come for me!" he said. "I have been trained in your Jedi arts by Lord Tyranus himself."

"Do you mean Count Dooku? What a curious coincidence,"

Obi-Wan said with a deceptively pleasant smile. "I trained the man who killed him."

With a convulsive snarl, Grievous lunged.''

Source: Revenge of the Sith Novelization (2005)

Kenobi considers his survival skills against the opponents like Darth Maul, Count Dooku and General Grievous.

No Caption Provided

Obi-Wan: ''I'd gotten surprisingly good at over the years other than finding trouble it was not dying. Just ask Darth Maul. Or Count Dooku. Or General Grievous.''

Source: Star Wars 015 (2016)

However, later against a Wookie bounty hunter, Kenobi mentions that he actually got old and weakened.

No Caption Provided

Obi-Wan: ''The years had made me a fool.''

Source: Star Wars 020 (2016)

And this is 10 years before ANH. He was not even close to ANH yet.

Matt Martin (Official from Lucasfilm and new Disney Star Wars canon) also mentioned this, he said he believes that RotS Kenobi is stronger than ANH Kenobi.

No Caption Provided

Matt Martin: ''If you're asking if I think ANH Obi-Wan could beat RotS Obi-Wan in a fight: no, I'd bet on RotS.''

So how did Kenobi won against Maul if he is weaker than RotS Kenobi?

Let's remember their former duels;

- TPM duel; Obi-Wan is 25 years old (6 years older than AotC Anakin), and Qui-Gon is 48 years old, (9 years younger than ANH Kenobi) Qui-Gon is a very skilled Jedi Master, and he said Obi-Wan is ready to become a Jedi Knight. And Obi-Wan becomes a Jedi Knight in this same timeline. Maul duels with them and he performs better than both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, he kills Qui-Gon and disarms Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan only wins by using a cheap-shot; he uses Qui-Gon's lightsaber and he surprises off-guard Maul who thought the duel was over and Obi-Wan was unarmed.

No Caption Provided

- TCW duel #1 (Season 4 Episode 22); 12 years have passed since Episode I, Obi-Wan is now 37 years old in the clone wars and he has become a Jedi Master, and he is very close to his RotS-self and he is a member of the Jedi high council, and this is where Maul and Savage defeats near-RotS Obi-Wan and Asajj Ventress, and he forced them to escape.

No Caption Provided

- TCW duel #2 (Season 5 Episode 01); This is where Maul and Savage and fights with near-RotS Obi-Wan and Jedi Master Adi Gallia, Savage kills Adi Gallia, while Maul duels with Kenobi, and then Maul saves Savage from Kenobi and he blasts Kenobi by using a powerful Force push and they retreat due to Savage's injury.

No Caption Provided

- TCW duel #3 (Season 5 Episode 16); this is where Maul immediately uses a powerful Force choke and he defeats near-RotS Kenobi who just activated his lightsaber only seconds ago, Kenobi fails to counter Maul and he fails to save Duchess Satine.

No Caption Provided

- TCW duel #4 (Son of Dathomir issue 03); This is where Maul and near-RotS Kenobi meets again, they exchange dueling stances but before starting to duel, Jedi Master Mace Windu and Jedi Knight Aayla Secura arrives, then Darth Maul duels with Mace Windu instead of Kenobi.

No Caption Provided

Let's see what happened only 2 years before ANH which is where the duel between Maul and Kenobi happened in Tatooine for the fifth time.

First of all, let's understand Filoni's earlier statement.

Filoni's earlier statement

''I wanted to create a lot of similarities in the way the fight happened and the way Obi-Wan beats Maul. I felt that with Maul, any moment that he parries Obi-Wan is saying that he’s as good as Obi-Wan and I don’t think that’s true. I don’t think Maul ever accepted a path of selflessness and enlightenment and in the end, never getting over his need for revenge, and his anger and the way his life worked out is what undid him.''

Source: ign.com

Filoni obviously meant this as a progression about their characters and improvement about their characters (selflessness and enlightenment), which is why he mentions about Maul's enlightment, it's not about their skills as duelists.

Otherwise it means that Ahsoka is very close to Darth Vader because the duel lasted longer than the Maul vs. Ben Kenobi duel, that also contradicts with Maul's superiority over Ahsoka (and even when they dueled each other Ahsoka never showed any superiority against Maul) who lasted much longer against Vader who is slightly better than Ben Kenobi.

Adult Ahsoka escapes from Maul during the duel.

No Caption Provided

Maul: ''Running away again, Lady Tano?''

Source: Rebels Season 2 Episode 22 (2016)

Evidence on Maul > Ahsoka

No Caption Provided

''Kanan agrees to split the group up, the logical choice pairing Maul with the weakest of the Jedi''

Source: Starwars.com

- Maul matched with the weakest Jedi. And the weakest Jedi was Ezra, he's paired with the strongest fighter, who is Maul.

It was Maul > Ahsoka > Kanan > Ezra.

Filoni also explained that with multiple other statements by saying that the duel was a mental duel not a physical one, and how Kenobi faked his lightsaber stance by using Qui-Gon pose in order to deceive Maul during their duel. The fact that Kenobi needed to use Qui-Gon's stance to win against Maul actually proves he wasn't a superior duelist than Maul, otherwise he would just beat him without needing any tricks like those.

Filoni also mentions about the fact that Ben Kenobi knew Maul could dispatch him in the duel,

Dave Filoni: ''Obi-Wan, to me, has grown as a character so much that he knows he could dispatch Maul, or Maul could dispatch him, but to what point? Obi-Wan is entering the realm of becoming selfless, and wholly selfless. He’s willing to give up so much so that everyone else can succeed, because he’s trying to make up for things in the Clone War — things that went poorly for him.''

Source: Starwars.com Interview (17 Aug 2017)

As they said, the things went poorly for Kenobi in the Clone Wars;

No Caption Provided

Tiplee: ''I sense your your turmoil, Obi-Wan.''

Kenobi: ''My last encounter with Maul didn't go so well.''

Source: Son of Dathomir Issue 03 (2014)

So his previous quote is about their mental state, and their characteristics accomplishments at the end of their lives. Not about their power levels and lightsaber skills.

Dave Filoni: ''So I felt that moment had to be beyond a lightsaber fight and had to be more an expression of their characters.''

Source: io9 interview / 18.03.2017

The preparation

Ben Kenobi was ''prepared'' for the duel with Maul in Tatooine. It means that he was actually working how to lure and deceive him for years.

Ben Kenobi : ''One doesn't survive as long as I've by being foolish or unprepared. Maul is an old adversary, and a persistent one at that.''

Source: Star Wars Rebels: Season 3 Episode 20 (2017)

The concept

The concept of the fight was different than the usual lightsaber duels due to marketing purposes.

Dave Filoni : “It was a much-discussed thing on how that was gonna go down, the instinct would be, and probably, I admit, the expectation, is for some kind of prolonged lightsaber battle. But I’ve done a lot of prolonged lightsaber battles over the years and I think what’s most important about any kind of confrontation is what’s riding on it. What’s the tension going into it? It starts to matter less and less how you swing a sword or how creatively you do it if there’s not a lot riding on it.”

He also mentions about the duel being an homage to the Seven Samurai duel.

Dave Filoni : ''If you talk to a lot of people that sword fight they’ll tell you, people that are very good don’t have long fights. It’s very quick. And so that scene it’s an homage to the Seven Samurai. I think on one level people would be excited to see another prolonged lightsaber fight but I just never really saw the confrontation that way because to do that is to say the characters just don’t have growth. Yes, it’s exciting as an audience member but it’s not a really believable thing. Storytelling has to evolve.''

Source: Rebels Recon #3.20: Inside "Twin Suns" (2017)

Maul was already tired before their duel, and his mechanical legs were damaged

Maul traveled in the Tatooine desert without getting rested possibly caused him to have a fatigue while Ben Kenobi was rested and fresh. Jedi Ezra lost his consciousness and almost died because of the Tatooine desert's harsh conditions, as well as his astro droid stopped working in the desert.

Because we also know that Maul's mechanical legs were damaged before their duel.

''To demonstrate an arduous passage of time, the Darth Maul character model is not only scuffed up as if coated with sand and dust, but also has chunks taken out of its mechanical legs.''

Source: Starwars.com/series/star-wars-rebels/twin-suns-trivia-gallery

The duel is played on their head - THE DUEL LASTED MORE THAN 30 SECONDS

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

- The duel starts at 18:30

- The duel ends at 19:07

Henry Gilroy : “When you’ve fought someone many times, and you’ve faced off, you kind of know each other’s moves. So if you think about it the build up to this confrontation and the actual lightsabers hitting each other is actually longer because they’re basically playing it out in their heads.”

According to the producer of Rebels, it was mostly a mental duel and lightsabers hitting each other was longer. Not a quick one, it lasted more than 30 seconds.

Animation supervisor states that the duel is actually a game within a game.

Keith Kellogg : ''It's much more about foot work and the thought process that Obi-Wan has. It starts out as young Obi-Wan and then we shift him to sort of what Alec would do when he was fighting and then the very last one you should look back at the Phantom Menace you can see what Qui-Gon's doing. We just sort of moved him just a little bit right after Maul changes his. It's kind of a game within a game almost.''

Source: Behind The Scenes: Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul | Star Wars Rebels (2017)

Maul underestimates Ben Kenobi during the duel

Sam Witwer : ''Because of that fight, Maul goes "Oh my god, I completely underestimated him"

(...) Maul is absolutely certain this old man has past his prime, he just doesn't understand this is an active Jedi Knight who is serving the Order even though it doesn't exist, he is doing the most important thing in the galaxy right now.''

Source: Rebel Force Radio Interview

Another evidence is how Maul sees Ben Kenobi;

Maul : ''Look what has become of you, a rat in the desert.''

''I've come to kill you, but perhaps it's worse to leave you here, festering in your squalor.''

Source: Rebels Season 3 Episode 20 (2017)

Maul directly goes for the killing move to finish Kenobi quickly, it was his choice.

Maul underestimates Kenobi, and directly goes for the killing move (which is Maul's own three strike technique), even then;

Dave Filoni : ''Qui-Gon part came late, when I was looking at it again. Originally, in that movie, when Kyuzo strikes the guy down,it's a one strike with the lightsaber.

But when we got animated, Keith Kellogg and I were looking at it, it's just Maul's technique to go, really quick, one-two-three, so, it didn't feel like Maul does get a shot at all. So block-block, then he (Maul) goes for that move (the move that he took down Qui-Gon), that's where I decided to put that move in.''

Source: Star Wars Celebration 2017 Orlando

The original confrontation was one-strike duel;

Dave Filoni: ''When it came to Maul and Obi-Wan, the fight that left to my mind was Kyuzo fighting the other man in the field, and in the film Seven Samurai. Originally I had it where Maul came in and it was one strike but from Maul's style, which is very fast, I thought well it doesn't feel like Maul with one strike. I need one-two-three, and I thought well one-two-three, the third move that he gets Qui-Gon with, which is a block block and then up. You know he uses the blunt part of his lightsaber to pick Qui-Gon in the face and stun him.''

Source: Star Wars Rebels - Maul vs. Kenobi Featurette
    No Caption Provided

When you compare it to the original Seven Samurai duel, the duel should've been a one-shot duel.

No Caption Provided

Filoni changes the original ''one-shot'' scene from the Seven Samurai, because it didn't feel like Maul gets a shot at Kenobi, unlike the samurai that attacked Kyuzo in the actual movie.

No Caption Provided

Dave Filoni: ''But Obi-Wan saw that, Obi-Wan was there and Obi-Wan in that moment is ready for that. He sees the symmetry of the moment and he is able to slice that. The apprentice learned from the masters mistakes.''

Source: Star Wars Rebels - Maul vs. Kenobi Featurette

Kenobi uses that Qui-Gon posing scene and he has to deflect those 2 extra strikes from Maul during the duel just to make it a more competitive duel than the original duel that happened in the Seven Samurai duel.

Now if the duel was an homage to the Seven Samurai, and if the duel was meant to be a one-shot strike, and adding two extra lightsaber clashes and adding a special hilt bumping move, (which comes from Maul's past and Kenobi counters it because he saw it before) shows that how competitive this duel really is considering the old style one-shot movie concept.

Kenobi's trap for Maul

To easily explain, Kenobi waits at the defense against Maul, while Kenobi attacks Vader, who is a more powerful opponent than Maul.

No Caption Provided

Source: A New Hope (1977)

It doesn't make sense to attack a more powerful opponent (Vader) while waiting on the defense against a weaker one (Maul).

Which means that Kenobi was indeed trying to deceive Maul with that Qui-Gon pose.

Henry Gilroy : ''And the amazing thing is, the move that Maul tries after the initial exchange, he actually attempts the move that killed Qui-Gon Jinn. He tries to basically bash him with the hilt.”

No Caption Provided

Question : ''The move that he took down Qui-Gon ?''

Dave Filoni : ''Yeah, also visually tells the story that Obi-Wan paid attention, you know that moment was kind of put into his brain and that he could defeat.''

Source: Star Wars Celebration 2017 Orlando

Now if Maul never attacks Kenobi and if he never use the same hilt bumping move, how could Kenobi defeat Maul by waiting at defense?

We've seen how Maul dominated Kenobi in the Clone Wars when Kenobi tried to fight offensively. Kenobi had to wait at defense and he had to deceive Maul with the Qui-Gon pose.

And don't forget that this is the same Kenobi that dueled with Vader at the Death Star.

He says that Obi-Wan defeats Maul only because of his prior knowledge about Maul, not due to superior skill.

Ben Kenobi's Force amplification against Maul

Filoni directly says that Obi-Wan is unbeatable ''in that moment'' because he is protecting someone else (the most important thing to him; Chosen One) in the end.

Dave Filoni : ''When pressed, because Obi-Wan is protecting someone else in the end, he does fight. But because he is so true and knows who he is in that moment, you can't defeat that.''

Another difference between Ben Kenobi's duel against Vader, Ben Kenobi wasn't amped against Vader because at the time Vader had no idea about Luke Skywalker, Vader was only interested in Kenobi. Vader only learns about Luke Skywalker during the Episode V Empire Strikes Back.

While Maul once again threatens Kenobi with killing someone he loves, but this time it is even more important than someone he loves, because Ben Kenobi believes that Luke Skywalker is the ''chosen one'', which is why Ben Kenobi was more powerful and more amped than ever against Maul once Maul learned what Ben Kenobi was doing in Tatooine. Because Vader didn't know anything about Luke, while Maul knew that he was protecting someone.

Qui-Gon's help?

This is similar to Rey's amplification against Sidious in TROS, where Rey hears the voices of the past Jedi.

She heard the voices of;

• Anakin Skywalker
    • Obi-Wan Kenobi
    • Yoda
    • Mace Windu
    • Qui-Gon Jinn
    • Ahsoka Tano
    • Luminara Unduli
    • Aayla Secura
    • Adi Gallia
    • Kanan Jarrus
    • Luke Skywalker
    No Caption Provided

These are the Jedi that amped Rey against Sidious in TRoS...

Is it possible that Qui-Gon also amped Ben Kenobi in his duel against Maul? Because Kenobi had to protect Luke no matter what?

We already know that Kenobi was communicating with Qui-Gon in Tatooine long before his duel with Maul,

No Caption Provided

Obi-Wan: ''Please... Guide my hand, Master Qui-Gon.''

Source: Star Wars 020 (2016)

It's possible that Kenobi was amped due to Qui-Gon, and he was preparing to fight Maul with Qui-Gon's help.

Summary for the Ben Kenobi duel:

• Kenobi was Force amped (unbeatable in the moment) against Maul.
    • Kenobi was prepared for years to duel with Maul.
    • Maul underestimates Ben Kenobi and he believed that he could easily kill him.
    • Kenobi deceived and lured Maul with a fake Qui-Gon stance.
    • It was a mental duel and they played out on their head.
    • They changed the original one-shot scene from the Seven Samurai to make the duel more competitive than the original one.
    • Kenobi had to wait at defense for Maul's attack to win the duel, without anticipating the hilt bump move he couldn't win.

The duel was extremely circumstantial and can't be used to hype Kenobi, on the contrary, to think that a Kenobi level duelist (who is contending with Vader even better than Adult Ahsoka) needed a trap and amplification to win against Maul, which only shows that how formidable and skilled Maul really is.

Maul ranks better than Dooku and Ventress as a sword fighter according to the Top 5 Red lightsaber users list from canon Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, and he is possibly better than Kenobi in terms of skill (without Kenobi's amplification and the deceiving tactic) and he has far superior Force powers. Ben Kenobi was able to match with Vader (who is way above of Dooku) in a duel.

My other Star Wars threads:

ViperSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ViperSixteen

Not bad but I feel like you've posted some of this before a couple of times. Bringing up Maul's superiority over Ahsoka is a pointless argument though, because Ahsoka and Obi-Wan use completely different techniques and tactics i.e. styles makes fights. Here's another source that reconfirms the notion that Maul was tricked by Obi-Wan's fake Qui-Gon Ataru stance when he got three shotted:

"In their final showdown, Obi-Wan Kenobi feigns his old master Qui-Gon Jinn's fighting style to catch Maul off guard, before quickly ending the duel with lethal force." -- Ultimate Star Wars New Edition: The Definitive Guide to the Star Wars Universe.

DarthWill3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't argue with all that.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By El_mago

really great thread about ben s power however i consider some points to be extremely pointless especially the maul>ahsoka argument considering how they styles differ between each other and how they stance compared to vader

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@el_mago said:

really great thread about ben s power however i consider some points to be extremely pointless especially the maul>ahsoka argument considering how they styles differ between each other and how they stance compared to vader

This.

Darth_Nihilus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul is superior to Kenobi.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maul is superior to Kenobi.

Yeah, I would agree with that.

redheathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Maul is superior to Kenobi in overall skill and in Force power, but Kenobi is able to exploit Maul's weaknesses, purposely or not, similarly to how he defeated Vader on Mustafar. As you pointed out, it officially was stated that Kenobi purposefully began their duel in "Twin Suns" in a manner to fool Maul. Maul fell for it. If Maul would have been mentally stable, and if PIS wasn't necessary for Luke's survival/Ben's mentorship of Luke, then I think things would have ended differently. Actually, things would have ended differently in their earlier duels.

redheathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By redheathen

I didn't comment on this previously:

''I wanted to create a lot of similarities in the way the fight happened and the way Obi-Wan beats Maul. I felt that with Maul, any moment that he parries Obi-Wan is saying that he’s as good as Obi-Wan and I don’t think that’s true. I don’t think Maul ever accepted a path of selflessness and enlightenment and in the end, never getting over his need for revenge, and his anger and the way his life worked out is what undid him.''

Source: ign.com

Filoni obviously meant this as a progression about their characters and improvement about their characters (selflessness and enlightenment), which is why he mentions about Maul's enlightment, it's not about their skills as duelists.

I agree with this assessment, but I don't necessarily agree with what you say afterward:

Otherwise it means that Ahsoka is very close to Darth Vader because the duel lasted longer than the Maul vs. Ben Kenobi duel, that also contradicts with Maul's superiority over Ahsoka (and even when they dueled each other Ahsoka never showed any superiority against Maul) who lasted much longer against Vader who is slightly better than Ben Kenobi.

Adult Ahsoka escapes from Maul during the duel.

EDIT: I don't fully agree with what others say in regards to the differing fighting forms between Kenobi and Ahsoka. I do think it is a factor, but it is not enough of a factor. The main difference between Ahsoka and Kenobi is the psychological importance Kenobi has for Maul, whereas Ahsoka, no so much. Maul knows Kenobi's Soresu very well, and he is more than proficient against Ahsoka's Jar'Kai and Form V.

END EDIT

I know this has been debated before, but in my opinion, Vader wasn't trying to kill Ahsoka. (I base this on two things, which is not necessary to read unless you're interested: )

1. He wanted information from her: "We need not be adversaries. The Emperor will show you mercy if you tell me where the remaining Jedi can be found. " After Ahsoka said she was not a Jedi, they began their duel. Without an official statement, only speculation can be made as too whether or not Vader was trying his best against Ahsoka or if he was waiting to see if he could get more information from her. I think that she knew a lot about the Rebels and that Vader would have wanted to try to get this info from her.
      2. During their duel, Vader stops and uses the Force to push her. He could have used it to strangle her, but he didn't try to kill her when he used it.
      3. Ahsoka got a good strike on Vader and cut off a portion of his helmet, which revealed the face of Anakin, and knocked him down. Apparently this took a lot out of her because when she kicked down Vader, she fell as well. There was no nimbleness in her movement. She had difficulty getting up and was panting. We hear Anakin's voice, but it is mechanical. It is Matt Lanter's voice and not James Earl Jones'. This was discussed by, IIRC, Filoni, but I don't have the statement. For a moment it was a bit of Anakin there, but not completely. His eyes remain yellow. -A quick note, Vader is not panting.- Ahsoka said she wouldn't leave Anakin, and there is a short pause. Vader doesn't immediately respond. When he does, he finally makes a statement about what will happen.
      4. He didn't try to kill her until he says, "then you will die." There is no doubt in his voice. The scene ends. Filoni made a statement about Vader not allowing anyone to live who knew who he was, and this included Ahsoka. She confirmed she knew who he was. She had to die. He no longer cared about obtaining any information from him even though she just said she wouldn't leave him. He could have attempted to manipulate her emotion for Anakin to get locations of other Jedi or the rebels from her, but all he says is that she will die.

Sorry if that wasn't necessary, but I know if you don't, then someone else will argue this. I thought it best to add my thoughts on the topic here and now.

I don't think that ABC logic works in this instance because Kenobi and Maul both intended to kill each other. They were both quite proficient duelists, but in addition to that, Kenobi tricked Maul to begin with. I have no idea how long the fight would have lasted if Kenobi would not have done that. We know that PIS must be the determining factor in his duel against Kenobi so we know Kenobi will win no matter what, but if that was removed from the equation, then I am not sure who would win (I think because Maul lost twelve years of training that he was now more even with Kenobi instead of being superior to him like he was as of TPM). I think they are very similar in terms of dueling, but truly, Maul should be superior to the Kenobi in his connection to the Force. Obi-Wan could have gained more mastery in the Force, but he should not have exceeded Maul's power.

Back to Ahsoka and Vader - I don't agree that Ahsoka escapes from Maul in Rebels. She left to help Ezra. They didn't seem to be going all out, either of them, and I don't think that the duel lasted long enough to get a good sense of how they compare.

TCW season 7 Ahsoka defeated Maul only because he had to lose because of the story even though he was more powerful than she was and more skilled with a lightsaber. (Filoni) There was nothing that should have impeded his growth in the Force or as a swordsman between the time "The Phantom Apprentice" 19 BBY and "Twilight of the Apprentice" 3 BBY. Ahsoka became exceedingly strong and powerful (Filoni - only Vader and Sidious could go blow for blow with her) during that time, and there is no reason Maul would not have continued increasing his abilities, especially considering that, as far as I know, in Canon as well as in Legends, only Anakin, Luke, and Maul are stated or implied to have potential that could exceed Sidious in power. Ahsoka was a prodigy, but there is nothing to indicate or suggest that she could as well. This is not to say that Maul = Anakin or Luke in potential power because that would not be true.

We know that Canon and Legends Maul came back more powerful than ever when he returned in TCW, and we know that he came back more powerful than ever in Rebels (I have a screen cap of this somewhere, it is published and not in an interview).

TPM Maul < TCW Maul < Rebels Maul, per published materials and/or interviews.

Maul should have remained > Ahsoka considering there is nothing to contradict this. If anything we have this one Filoni comment to support it:

"Maul is a super dangerous threat because he has been trained for years. He's really adept so he's kind of in the Vader realm. He's well trained by Sidious in all types of Sith ways."

Dave Filoni, Rebel Force Radio

Vader and Sidious could go blow for blow with Ahsoka, but this doesn't mean that she can go blow for blow with them at full tilt. This is similar to what I said above about Maul, Anakin, and Luke being the only characters implied to have potential power > Sidious' power. Just because those three could be > Sidious doesn't mean that those three are equal in potential power. Maul is still < Vader and Luke.

However, Maul is in the Vader realm as of the time of Rebels. As to Ahsoka, I don't know. My thought is that a grown, healthy man could go blow for blow with a toddler, but a toddler can't go blow for blow with a grown man. This example is exaggerated because Ahsoka isn't akin to a toddler when compared to Vader or even Sidious, but I hope it illustrates how you can't infer one point when another is being made. If Filoni had said that Ahsoka could go blow for blow with Vader and Sidious, then I'd see it as placing Ahsoka in Vader's realm as well as the Emperor's, but that's not what he said.

I think that comparing Kenobi to Maul via Ahsoka's duel isn't appropriate because the fights themselves weren't inherently the same (Obi-Wan tricked Maul, Vader wasn't trying to kill Ahsoka at first). The characters shouldn't be scaled this way, especially considering how often it is said that it is impossible to determine who is better than whom based on SW duels because there are too many factors to consider, one of which is story needs. This was published in the official SW newsletter and on the site in 2004, and the last time that I am aware of that it was mentioned was when Filoni made the statement about Maul losing to Ahsoka in TCW "The Phantom Apprentice" in the spring of 2020. The ABC scaling also fails because it contradicts the other statements about Maul. If we are to choose between the two options you gave, then I'd go with the former, that Filoni's statement about Maul not being as good as Kenobi was about his character. ... I just remembered that, IIRC, there is a quote about one of the Kenobi/Maul duels, about these guys are both so good (along those lines), and...ICR. He basically says that they are about the same in regards to saber skill.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@erkan12: So how much stronger is Maul compared to Kenobi in your opinion?

Is he like waaay stronger?

Avatar image for natethestarwars
    NatetheStarWars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is interesting. I think that, at the point of Rebels, Old Master Maul=Old Ben Kenobi. Maul lost because he was incredibly fatigued after wandering without food and drink in the desert for days, and Kenobi was well rested. And let's not underestimate Kenobi's smart trick with the opening stances.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.