Follow

Star Wars Universe

Concept » Star Wars Universe appears in 1596 issues.

The "galaxy far, far away" in which the Star Wars films and related works take place.

Darth Maul outlives Count Dooku on Live Action Movies

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

What do you think of that?

32 BBY - Star Wars Episode I

No Caption Provided

22 BBY - Star Wars Episode II

No Caption Provided

19 BBY - Star Wars Episode III

No Caption Provided

10 BBY - Solo: A Star Wars Story

No Caption Provided

Do you think Maul deserves that one additional movie appearance after the Episode I? Or do you think it's unfair or a fan service more than using a wasted potential?

DarthWill3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm tempted to say yes.

Vitisid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More Maul, more love.

xolthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tbh I think that Maul as a interesting character (because of his saberstaff, his zabrak look,...) would have been wasted if nothing will be done for him. But I didn't think this is a proof of his power above dooku.

Avatar image for in-sidiousvader
    In-sidiousvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he should have stayed dead. I love Maul, but really I love the original Maul not this TCW pretender who begs for mercy.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In-sidiousvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12 said:

@in-sidiousvader: Palpatine and Dooku begged for mercy too.

Dooku never begged he was on his knees and didn't say a word. Sidious faked it. Your point is moot. I forgot to mention I hate the fact he no longer has a Saberstaff

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Erkan12

@in-sidiousvader said:
    @erkan12 said:

Dooku never begged he was on his knees and didn't say a word. Sidious faked it. Your point is moot.

Did you even read the novel? Dooku begs for mercy there.
    Original script in the movie also had that scene, but Christopher Lee didn't want to die like that so they removed, the original Dooku begs for mercy as he did in the novel.
    If Sidious faked it then so did Maul. He says he should've killed him later in SoD, and refuses to tell the location of his bases.
    So, your point is moot.
    @in-sidiousvader said:
    I hate the fact he no longer has a Saberstaff

He has.

He used double bladed Inquisitor lightsaber in Solo movie.

In-sidiousvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12 said:
    @in-sidiousvader said:
    @erkan12 said:

Dooku never begged he was on his knees and didn't say a word. Sidious faked it. Your point is moot.

Original script in the movie also had that scene, but Christopher Lee didn't want to die like that so they removed, the original Dooku begs for mercy as he did in the novel.
    If Sidious faked it then so did Maul. He says he should've killed him later in SoD, and refuses to tell the location of his bases.
    So, your point is moot.
    @in-sidiousvader said:

He has.

The Novel yes, but that interferes with Movie canon and in Canon... Movie >>>>> Novel. Sidious is confirmed as to faking in in the JN, Maul had no reason to fake it he was legit beaten and begged like a little zabrak baby.

Yeah, but its like an Exar Kun style hilt, not an actual Saberstaff, plus Maul is post prime which puts a damper on his cool factor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c508820920c0
    deactivated-5c508820920c0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.... 'kay.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Erkan12
    @in-sidiousvader said:

Yeah, but its like an Exar Kun style hilt, not an actual Saberstaff, plus Maul is post prime which puts a damper on his cool factor.

TPM is then pre-prime also. The difference in power is minimum. He is still in the same tier; 8, and Solo and Rebels Maul still has the same skill set from TCW.

@in-sidiousvader said:
    @erkan12 said:
    @in-sidiousvader said:
    @erkan12 said:

So, your point is moot.
    @in-sidiousvader said:

He has.

The Novel yes, but that interferes with Movie canon and in Canon... Movie >>>>> Novel. Sidious is confirmed as to faking in in the JN, Maul had no reason to fake it he was legit beaten and begged like a little zabrak baby.

You think Sidious wouldn't afraid to die and he wouldn't beg?

What was he doing in his last seconds?

Loading Video...

Screaming out in fear.

In-sidiousvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12 said:
    @in-sidiousvader said:

TPM is then pre-prime also. The difference in power is minimum. He is still in the same tier; 8, and Solo and Rebels Maul still has the same skill set from TCW.

Okay... but TPM Maul is way cooler than the other iterations

You think Sidious wouldn't afraid to die and he wouldn't beg?

Really are you deaf here:

Palpatine wasn't tired he was faking it.

ROTS JN
    What was he doing in his last seconds?
    Loading Video...

Screaming out in fear.

Actually IIRC the ROTJ novel states that Sidious was enraged and not trying to kill Vader but make him feel as much pain as possible. It is foolish to Lowball Sheev he is god tier and only Luke could solidly beat him

Vitisid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@in-sidiousvader:

Actually IIRC the ROTJ novel states that Sidious was enraged and not trying to kill Vader but make him feel as much pain as possible. It is foolish to Lowball Sheev he is god tier and only Luke could solidly beat him

Heresy!

In-sidiousvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitisid said:

@in-sidiousvader:

Heresy!

Its a fact, GM Luke can beat Sidious, sorry you think I am a traitor but its reality

Vitisid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vitisid

@in-sidiousvader: I will justify my opinion at another time.

But Spoiler: It has something to do with 'Thul.

But of course that's not the only thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6081fb94189dc
    deactivated-6081fb94189dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he should have stayed dead. I love Maul, but really I love the original Maul not this TCW pretender who begs for mercy.

Original Maul was one-dimensional, he became more three-dimensional in clone wars.

In-sidiousvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@in-sidiousvader said:

Original Maul was one-dimensional, he became more three-dimensional in clone wars.

No, he was three dimensional before, then in TCW he just had a singular purpose

dark-sith123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul's a good character, and it's sweet he outlived Dooku. Could potentially make another appearance, perhaps a sequel to Solo or a Kenobi movie, though the latter is more unlikely 'cuz Twin Suns. I do have an idea to feature Maul in a movie with Kenobi though.

RGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dark-sith123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rgr:

My idea is that at one point (anywhere between, like, 9 to 5-4 BBY) Maul and Vader are both looking for Kenobi. Their clues lead them both to Tatooine, where they run into each other. Then we have an epic Maul vs Vader fight, lasting, like, ten minutes, with Vader narrowly beating Maul. Maul then manages to crawl out, disbanding the Crimson Dawn and going to Malachor looking for the holocron, which could do him two things: show him the power to defeat Vader and Sidious, who are both more powerful than him, as well as guide him in his quest to kill Kenobi, his two ultimate goals.

RGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vivec3629

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul has been seen enough. They're flogging a dead horse at this point. Having him in Solo was a mistake given there will likely be no second one. He's a cool character, but that's Vader's time, not Maul's.

Kilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kilius

@in-sidiousvader said:
    @camilopezo said:
    @in-sidiousvader said:

No, he was three dimensional before, then in TCW he just had a singular purpose

TPM Era Maul was more compelling imo. He was the servant of the Dark Lord of the Sith and he was scary, disturbing, and awesome. He was three dimensional before, just read the Star Wars Episode I Journal: Darth Maul,The Wrath of Darth Maul, Restraint, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, and End Game. I liked his importance to the Sith Imperative before. His death on Naboo was a good way to end his chapter. TCW is still alright his existence just seems kind of pointless. He talks too much for one thing, TPM Maul had a silent confident badassery to him. His importance to the Grand Plan is nill. He's just one big angsty filler at this point.

fairtrade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fairtrade

Your obsession with Dooku and getting hammered by his fans in these forums is unhealthy.

First off, this is irrelevant lmao. The fact that Maul's more iconic and has a lot of fans (which equals more money) is the reason he's allowed to be alive.

fairtrade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fairtrade

@dark-sith123 said:

My idea is that at one point (anywhere between, like, 9 to 5-4 BBY) Maul and Vader are both looking for Kenobi. Their clues lead them both to Tatooine, where they run into each other. Then we have an epic Maul vs Vader fight, lasting, like, ten minutes, with Vader narrowly beating Maul. Maul then manages to crawl out, disbanding the Crimson Dawn and going to Malachor looking for the holocron, which could do him two things: show him the power to defeat Vader and Sidious, who are both more powerful than him, as well as guide him in his quest to kill Kenobi, his two ultimate goals.

Better than the Sequels, but still cancer.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Erkan12

@fairtrade said:

Your obsession with Dooku and getting hammered by his fans in these forums is unhealthy.

Not really, I am just stating the facts. :))

@fairtrade said:

First off, this is irrelevant lmao. The fact that Maul's more iconic and has a lot of fans (which equals more money) is the reason he's allowed to be alive.

It's the same shit with Darth Vader.

We all know it was Maul > Vader before the disney (even in the Resurrection comic he kicks Vader's ass) and Lucas states PT fighters > OT fighters, then it all changed because Vader was simply more iconic and he had a lot of fans. That's why current Vader has become more powerful with his current feats and hype, (even the top 5 list states he is more skilled than Sidious). That's very important, it's not a coincidence that Maul captures Dooku, shows better feats becomes a master of a beast that who gives troubles to Dooku (meanwhile Dooku loses a duel to an ordinary Jedi Knight who turned to the dark side; Quinlan Vos) , and list ranks him more skilled than Dooku. And then he even outlives him as no.3 darksider of the saga. (it was Dooku before disney) Being more popular also makes them more powerful as we've seen from how Darth Vader has changed in recent years due to disney.

fairtrade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fairtrade

@erkan12 said:

It's the same shit with Darth Vader.

We all know it was Maul > Vader (even in the Resurrection comic he kicks Vader's ass) and Lucas states PT fighters > OT fighters, then it all changed because Vader was simply more iconic and he had a lot of fans. That's why current Vader has become more powerful with his current feats and hype, (even the top 5 list states he is more skilled than Sidious). That's very important, it's not a coincidence that Maul captures Dooku, shows better feats becomes a master of a beast that who gives troubles to Dooku, and list ranks him more skilled than Dooku. And then he even outlives him as no.3 darksider of the saga. Being more popular also makes them more powerful as we've seen from how Darth Vader has changed in recent years.

The only thing I'll ever agree with you on.

I'm not going into Maul vs Dooku again, since you coincidently go silent after I reply with an actual argument...

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's an unhealthy obsession here, tbh.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dooku is still> Maul

No Caption Provided

Official canon list > you.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We already knew that from rebels and clone wars...

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WollfMyth209

Maul fans are so salty they'll literally make threads on the most trivial things to try and give Maul bonus points over Dooku.

Take the brownie points for all I care, they're so worthless.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Erkan12

We already knew that from rebels and clone wars...

From Clone Wars? No, Dookie was still alive.

From Rebels? Yeah, but it wasn't a movie, it was a TV Show.

Solo made Maul's survival a movie wide event.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Amonfire1776

Both Cannon either way...

redheathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FIRST to get this out of the way-Here is more proof that Witwer helped shape Maul's character as we continue to see more Maul. =)

Okay, now that is done. On to the OP.

"Or do you think it's unfair or a fan service more than using a wasted potential?"

Vader was wasted potential, and that is a retcon. We didn't know Vader had deprived of his full potential. We know from TCW interviews that Maul's reappearance was (at least partially) responsible for Sidious deciding to save Vader on Mustafar. Maul instilled into Sidious' thoughts that a supposedly destroyed apprentice might be worth saving.

I do think that bringing Maul back was a bit fan service, but I think that Lucas realized he might have done the wrong thing by killing Maul in TPM. Story-wise, other than TCW and the excuse of giving Sidious the idea to repair Vader as a cyborg, there was no need to bring Maul back. I think this topic can be argued both ways, but either way, the fact is that Star Wars is a fictional story in a universe where reality is unlike ours. There is no reason that Maul couldn't have survived. My personal opinion is that Maul was exceedingly powerful, and it was a shame that we never got to see him attain his full potential, not unlike Vader. But similarly to Vader, that ended up being his background story. Maul, however, was never able to mentally grow past the point that he lost his full potential or ability to realize his full potential. This was discussed in a few Filoni and Witwer interviews that I read about a month ago. They discussed Maul's appearance and death in Rebels, and I can't recall specific quotes (nor am I looking for them).

In short, Maul's first canon reappearance was fan service as well as retcon to explain Sidious saving Vader. In Rebels, I think it was both, but then a lot of characters were introduced that we can say are fan service. We knew Maul lived, but WHAT happened to him? I felt the same way/thought the same thing about Rex when TCW ended. I was really upset not knowing what happened to Rex because he wasn't in ROTS like Cody was. Yes, it's fan service to bring Maul back, but then it also answered questions about him because the last we saw of him, he was being carried away distraught but alive. So WHAT happened to him after that because we don't know anything about him in ANH? Maul would not have just given up. Mentally, he was stuck in the Revenge Loop. In his head, he should have been great and in control of the entire galaxy, so Maul simply would not have just gone away never to be heard from again. In the movie Solo, we had the opportunity to see what Maul had been doing, so in a way, yes. This is fan service, but it is a fan service that answers questions, not unlike many other Star Wars shows that were produced after ANH. Even parts of ROTJ were a bit of a retcon: Luke and Leia's relationship is a good example.

I think that fans such as myself feel the frustration that Maul feels. We all would like to see him at his full potential (considering he was brought back), but he's never able to achieve it. If he had existed at a time other than when Sidious and the Chosen One were alive, then he may have ruled the galaxy, but we'll never know just as he never had a chance to know. Should he have been brought back? IDK. But he was, and at least we know the psychological state that drives him. The only thing that really sucks about him being brought back are the people who don't understand what he was intended for. I haven't finished the interview and haven't seen anything about Dooku yet, but if it is said that Maul is more powerful, then I am not surprised in the least. This is what we are told in a roundabout way regarding his character. I did not intend to type this much but started without finishing the interview because I thought it would be short. I MUST get off here now and help with something, but I'll be back and finish in 20 or so minutes.

Fat_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people thought Solo took place before episode 1 since they don't watch cartoons.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.