Follow

Star Wars Rebels

Series »

An animated series set during the early days of the Rebel Alliance.

Star Wars Rebels Episode 107 - "Empire Day"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"Move along!"

Every episode of Star Wars Rebels has basically been an adventure-of-the-week. They give a character or two the spotlight and manage to wrap up the mission before the credits begin to roll. "Empire Day" changes that and it's pretty much pure buildup. Not only is it establishing a bigger mission for the crew of the Ghost, but it's also slowly giving us more and more information about Ezra Bridger.

Ezra's received plenty of attention in the series, but this episode is the first one to really begin to look into his past. You won't get any significant or jaw-dropping developments; it's just enough to add a little more weight to his tale. It's not compelling or emotionally satisfying just yet, but they've teased more than enough and it's looking like there will be some major payoff in the next episode. So, it seems like these developments will be put to good use next week. Some may think it was a little heavy-handed, but I really enjoyed the scene with the Loth-cat and how it was used to show how much he still has to grow emotionally. He might be getting better and better with the force, but he still has a lot of progress to make when it comes to opening up. There's the potential for a lot of legitimate heart here, so now it's just a matter of seeing where this arc goes next week.

The blunt handling of the Empire's propaganda continues to be really amusing. Yes, it's a way for them to get some exposition out there, but it's an entertaining way of doing so and it feels so appropriately cheesy. You'd think that TIE Pilot wouldn't be so accepting of the bartender's attitude, but that's a minor complaint and it's still an effective reminder of why the rebels are fighting and how the Empire is impacting everyone. This show's doing a really great job making the Empire feel all kinds of diabolical and twisted. The big development in this episode is more than enough proof of that.

No Caption Provided

"Empire Day" has a lot of action and really keeps things moving. If it's not adding to the bigger picture, odds are it's dishing out a chase scene, a brawl, or a shootout. There's a few moments where things slow down to give the viewer some mandatory information, but man, the second half is really fast-paced and fun. There isn't that much charm or levity here (which can be a positive since the last episode suffered from too much slapstick), but little things like Kanan giving the peace sign before taking out an enemy or the banter between Zeb and Sabine about timing was pretty funny. Nothing here is hysterical or will go down as one of the more memorable action sequences, but it's still a very good time.

There's more than a few cool shots and quite a few nods to the franchise's movies. Something as simple as Agent Kallus completing a jump had more impact thanks to its handling and some of the other shots (like views of TIE Fighter Pilots) were just oozing with nostalgia. Oh, and I can't be the only one who thinks the Inquisitor looks even cooler with the helmet on, right?

Constructing a bigger plot for Ezra means everyone else is pushed aside. We obviously still see them and they play a role in the action scenes, but aside from Kanan's interactions with the Padawan, it's a bit of a bummer these characters still don't feel like they're getting that much love. I understand why it's critical to enhance our emotional connection to Ezra, but I wish there was a way to give his allies a little more attention. Still, it's looking like the next episode will really deliver on this buildup and it is exciting that Star Wars Rebels is dishing out its first expanded tale (not counting the hour-long debut, of course). This first chapter got plenty of the basics out of the way, successfully implemented a slightly more serious tone, and had plenty of entertaining action sequences. The hype has definitely been built for the next episode!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Hey Gregg the title on the home page didn't include the word "rebels".

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I love this show. Every time I here the tie fighter screech I just get chills.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not too bad of an episode but most of the action was fluff rather than truly impressive sequences. Still fun though. My problem with Rebels is that although each episode is as long as a Clone Wars episode they feel like they've gone by twice as fast but we're almost getting less substance. Not hating though, just saying. This series hasn't quite found footing yet to me but it's getting there and I'm confident that the showrunners have good things planned ahead for us.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this any good ? I did not enjoy the tone of Clone Wars and got bored after about 7 episodes. Is this along the same lines ?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Hey Gregg the title on the home page didn't include the word "rebels".

Thanks for pointing that out. It has now been fixed and I am forever ashamed.

@wardishy said:

Not too bad of an episode but most of the action was fluff rather than truly impressive sequences. Still fun though. My problem with Rebels is that although each episode is as long as a Clone Wars episode they feel like they've gone by twice as fast but we're almost getting less substance. Not hating though, just saying. This series hasn't quite found footing yet to me but it's getting there and I'm confident that the showrunners have good things planned ahead for us.

Looks like we're on the same page. The action was fun, but like I said in the review, it wasn't especially memorable, but it's still a good time. Next week is looking like it'll be far more impactful, though.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rev_sulphur: No, tonally they're quite different. Also, you missed out big time not sticking out the Clone Wars.

@k4tzm4n: To be honest, we usually are on the same page. It's kind of weird. Keep up the good work though, etc. Was there a preview of the next episode that I missed or are you just going off of what was built up in this episode?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@wardishy said:

@rev_sulphur: No, tonally they're quite different. Also, you missed out big time not sticking out the Clone Wars.

@k4tzm4n: To be honest, we usually are on the same page. It's kind of weird. Keep up the good work though, etc. Was there a preview of the next episode that I missed or are you just going off of what was built up in this episode?

Thanks! And yeah, the end of the episode usually has a promo for the upcoming one. It focused heavily on Ezra/Kanan encountering the Inquisitor.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#8  Edited By StMichalofWilson

I liked their version of the Imperial March. It sounded like propaganda. Also the Inquisitor's helmet is really cool

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheFallen_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

New Star Wars is not doing it for me. I miss Clone Wars with all the cool timeless characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.