Follow

Star Wars Rebels

Series »

An animated series set during the early days of the Rebel Alliance.

Star Wars Rebels Episode 106 - "Breaking Ranks"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Contains some spoilers*

Star Wars Rebels has really, really grown on me. I went into the show with an open mind and it has been nothing but fun and full of fan service. From the classic audio to the tone, this series wins me over more and over every week with its new cast of characters. However, this week's episode decided to push aside many of the characters and focus a majority of its time on Ezra while also showing a little more of what the Empire's up to.

It's understandable they want to give Ezra more time in the spotlight. Even though everyone else on the Ghost seems like they still have so many more stories to tell, Ezra's clearly the lead; he's our "Luke Skywalker" in this series. As much as I want to see more of the other characters (most notably Sabine since she hasn't done that much), I admit it's pretty cool seeing Ezra try to tackle all of these challenges on his own and make some big decisions. Not only does it demonstrate his wit, but it also shows off how much his training with Kanan has helped him. The bit with the decoder was predictable but still totally satisfying. We haven't known the character that long, but it's a nice amount of payoff seeing him able to use the force so well.

I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the Cadets' tests felt like a nod to "The Box" from Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It's kind of a way less hardcore version of "The Box" and it was pretty exciting seeing Ezra's increasingly impressive agility being put to use. Oh man, mentioning "The Box" reminds me of Cad Bane and Embo. I really hope we see them again at some point. It's probably wishful thinking, but a man can dream, right?

Last week, we got a really, really good look at the Inquisitor. Spoiler alert: He's seems like he's going to be an especially awesome villain. This week, we get a little more insight into his more devious side. What's really going on with the cadets and why are they pushing them so hard? The development with the pale villain has me interested and I'm definitely hoping they'll follow-up with this storyline. It would be a major disappointment if Zare Leonis is just reduce to just being an occasional informant. This arc has a lot of potential and, seeing as Greg Weisman wrote it, I'm sure it won't just fade away as the crew of the Ghost move on to other missions.

No Caption Provided

We may not see all that much of the heroes, but we're given just enough to remind us why each one is appealing. I especially liked how nervous and overprotected Kanan was acting. He may not have known Ezra for very long, but this is his Padawan and, as we've seen in the previous episodes, they've really begun to bond. It's nice to see him drop his guard and show more emotion. The others seem to be there primarily for action. Hera Syndulla gets to show off her skills as a pilot , Sabine gets an incredibly brief yet very awesome display of action, and Zeb, well, he's still completely lovable. He's role is minimal, but it still reminded me why the character has become my favorite. The action may not be as jaw-dropping or extensive as the other episodes, but there's a good amount of variety in there and it's plenty entertaining.

Considering the Stormtroopers have been next to useless in this show, it's funny to see how elaborate and intense the cadets' training is. I know part of that reason is to weed out kids that are potentially force-sensitive, but it's still pretty amusing to think about actual Stormtroopers attempting those challenges. They require precision, a tactical mind, and being swift. Yeah, good luck with that. I also have a small gripe with how it took them so long to drop the AT-DP (seeing as they landed a direct hit with the very first shot), but like I said, it's not a big deal.

"Breaking Ranks" throws us right into the middle of Ezra's undercover mission, so this means his teammates are supporting characters and time with them feels very limited. Considering how young the show is, it seems a little odd to cast them aside so soon and once again focus primarily on Ezra. Yes, he's the main protagonist of this series and this gave a little more insight into the Empire's operation, but it still felt a bit like a filler side mission. Fast-paced and fun, but it didn't seem to add that much in terms of character or plot. Still, the episode's a good time. Next week: Hera and Sabine finally get some focus!

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By ShadowSwordmaster

I have been loving this show a lot.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

So are you guys going to report on that Marvel and Attack on Titan crossover? not for nothing, but that's a pretty big deal.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

This show continues to hit all the nostalgia buttons for me. The inquisitor is great villain and I really like all the crew I'm just hoping they get some more screen time.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Great episode, this show just continues to rock. We get a Hera and Sabine focused episode next too! :D

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Glad people are enjoying this show, I've liked it so far. Haven't watched this episode yet though.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I hope we get more glimpses into how the Empire works during this time period. What I liked about this episode was it showed us how one becomes a Stormtrooper and leaves me wondering where are the Clone Troopers now and what has lead to the Empire recruiting actual citizens as soldiers and not using clones anymore.

I'm also super-excited for next week's episode as it looks like it will primarily focus on Hera and Sabine, two characters who deserve more spotlight in this series.

LordDracula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

this show is terrible.

GeneralTekno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing the switch to actual troopers is a combination of a) Clones are expensive and b) Clones have a short life expectancy due to accelerated aging, which is a good thing for wartime but not peace.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope we get more glimpses into how the Empire works during this time period. What I liked about this episode was it showed us how one becomes a Stormtrooper and leaves me wondering where are the Clone Troopers now and what has lead to the Empire recruiting actual citizens as soldiers and not using clones anymore.

I'm also super-excited for next week's episode as it looks like it will primarily focus on Hera and Sabine, two characters who deserve more spotlight in this series.

The original clone troopers become Darth Varders elite squad The 501st or "Vaders Fist". The Empire at this time uses a mix of Clones and Regular recruits. The top one percent of each class also get taken for cloning.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@timelord said:

@war_killer said:

The original clone troopers become Darth Varders elite squad The 501st or "Vaders Fist". The Empire at this time uses a mix of Clones and Regular recruits. The top one percent of each class also get taken for cloning.

Is this information from the old canon though?

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: It is but unless Disney tell me otherwise its cannon. I guess its going to be addressed this season by the looks of things.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I missed with clone wars was the tie fighter SFX but with this show I could listing to that all day.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelord said:

@war_killer: It is but unless Disney tell me otherwise its cannon. I guess its going to be addressed this season by the looks of things.

I'm hoping we'll see some of the Clone Troopers from The Clone Wars appear in the series at some point, like Captain Rex and Commander Cody. I know it was hinted at in the finally episodes of TCW that the clones were programmed to kill Jedi when Order 66 was sent out, but I'm curious as to how the clones reacted to that and where they are now.

Guy's like Rex held the Jedi in high stander, not even being able to bring himself to kill a Dark Jedi due to that respect. So seeing his reaction to Order 66 and the extermination of the Jedi Order would make for a very emotional story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.