Follow

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Movie » Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens released on December 18, 2015.

The seventh installment in the Star Wars saga, set 30 years after Star Wars, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

Will Finn be a Jedi? Why don't people want him to be one?

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, the first trailer showed Finn wielding a lightsaber, showing that he'll probably be a Jedi. The second trailer, showed him entering a duel with Kylo Ren. So, it seems very likely that he'll be a Jedi. My question is, why don't people want him to be a Jedi. It's seems every time I bring up the possibility of him being a Jedi people begin telling me that I'm jumping to conclusions that they don't think he will be. I really don't understand this, it's a Star Wars film, he's shown wielding a lightsaber both in the first poster, and both trailers show him about to fight Kylo Ren. I really don't see how people don't think he'll be a Jedi.

bakera8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he will be a Jedi. I think most people are saying he wont be because the are holding onto the old EU or perhaps a little racism from what I have seen on twitter.

bakera8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I think his story will be cool. He starts off as a stormtrooper and becomes a Jedi. I am interested in how that happens. Maybe the "Ren" group find out he has the force and then he runs off to the rebellion.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a lil racism lol , people barely approved of mace windu in the prequels , and people kinda want rey to be one (rumored she will eventually become in later movies)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It would be something to see a hero who isn't a Jedi for once.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: I think Jedi should be the center of the main films. But don't forget we are getting spinoffs, were getting Rogue One about the X-wing squad, and were eventually getting a Han Solo/Boba Fett film.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: I don't see why they both can't become Jedi. Finn definitely will be one. Could be cool to see a sort of partnership between the two.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@william300: Rogue One isn't about the X-wing group (unfortunately). It's about the team that stole the Death Star plans.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: I don't see why they both can't become Jedi. Finn definitely will be one. Could be cool to see a sort of partnership between the two.

I kinda want finn for now and rey later , we haven't seen a female lead in star wars that was a jedi since they didn't want to include Asoka (still pissed)

bakera8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Squalleon

I think the Jedi will be the girl. Due to the Kylo Ren action figure revealing he and she know its other.

And personally I don't want all the protagonists to be Jedi's. After all the most memorable hero from the old trilogy wasn't one.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donttellmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk why people don't like him, but I think he'll make a great Jedi. I've come to terms with the fact that the EU will not exist in the new trilogy, and I'm excited to see what new stuff they come up with.

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darthdeadpool

We're gonna need a white jedi in this film. Just saying lol!

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donttellmymom: the way I view the whole "canon" issue with Star Wars is that Star Wars now has a multiverse. One universe where the original/prequel film trilogy and the EU novels are canon, and the new universe where only the films and certain novels are canon. I think that's a more positive way to look at it.

donttellmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@william300: That's a really good way to look at it. I think I'm going to start using that (I'll give you credit of course).

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By dernman

@donttellmymom said:

Idk why people don't like him, but I think he'll make a great Jedi. I've come to terms with the fact that the EU will not exist in the new trilogy, and I'm excited to see what new stuff they come up with.

I don't like him and it has nothing to do with his race or EU. Don't ask me why because there isn't a specific reason. I wouldn't care if he was some supporting character but a Jedi or main cast bugs me. I would have been happier with another black actor. I think that many people feel the same way. Honestly though it wasn't until just recently that I noticed any talk of hate and it's usually by people asking why others hate him.

donttellmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Fair enough. It's tough for me to completely trust an actor I'm not too familiar with with my favorite film franchise, but I want to give him and this whole new team a shot before giving up on them.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Its a lil racism lol , people barely approved of mace windu in the prequels , and people kinda want rey to be one (rumored she will eventually become in later movies)

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spambot

@stormshadow_x: Some may have had trouble with him but I think a lot of people actually thought he did a great job in the prequels and liked him as Mace. Personally, I thought he was the best jedi in the prequels, as good or better than MacGregor's Obi Wan and Neesom's Qui Gon.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: No they don't want any black actor in the film

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@william300: Rogue One isn't about the X-wing group (unfortunately). It's about the team that stole the Death Star plans.

does anyone really care about that?

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer is no, he aint gonna be one.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to the novelization I believe, he's an expert combatant and the fact that he was able to hold back Kylo (despite him being hurt) with no force sensitivity or lightsaber training speaks volumes. His sense to do good really makes me believe that he might be a jedi deep down. He's a good character and I think he should have been the MAIN main protagonist, despiting his annoying moments.

Avatar image for sasukemilesmorales
    sasukemilesmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: I feel like rey is a prodigy and finn is a jedi who will have to work in oder to reach his abilities

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: I feel like rey is a prodigy and finn is a jedi who will have to work in oder to reach his abilities

But Finn was top of his class. But I see what you're saying. She's the force prodigy. He's the combat guy.

sasukemilesmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: I mean finn was a combat guy but what fights did he win? rey beat kylo and finn

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasukemilesmorales: He was at the top of his class during stormtropper training. Without tapping into the force, he held his own against Ren. That same Ren had Rey on the run until plot force kicked in.

sasukemilesmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: kylo made him look like a child and kylo was injured! earlier in the film rey and bb8 man handled him... he got beaten by the storm trooper with the vibro blade too. this guy is in dire need of some force abilities

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasukemilesmorales: Made him look like a child? Finn was able to tag him. All of this without tapping into the force for anow amp like Rey did. Lol Rey hit Finn when he wasn't trying to fight. Don't pass that as some sort of combat feat. Yeah, he needs training though.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finn should not become a Jedi. That's Reys thing and if he follows that he'll always be lesser by comparison, same with becoming a x wing pilot. That's Poes thing and he's great at it. Finn needs to have a separate path to follow and be his own man.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're racist.

JK Sam L Jackson was cool.

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No you need to be force sensitive to be a Jedi. Also they already have enough Jedi/Sith in this trilogy they don't need more. Just because he isn't a Jedi doesn't mean he's useless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having hated on the trailers for what they did reveal in the ever growing "you know the whole film" before seeing it that goes on with the internet now it was nice to get the twist of Finn not actually being the one to awaken to the Force through the film.

Just don't think Finn needs to be a Jedi but having him become a leader within the Rebellion would be a natural step for the new generation stepping up concept. Where Poe leads the pilots Finn would lead the ground forces, be the guy at the front of the Rebel's forces going head to head in the field with the armies of the First Order. That's badass enough that he doesn't need to be a Jedi.

In this way I see Finn's character closer in concept to Jagged Fel from the EU canon much like Poe seems a lot like Kyle Katarn in the vein of his Dark Forces depiction vice later Jedi Knight, Jedi Academy and EU stories. Which isn't bad, as they're good counterparts to these characters if they won't be introducing them to movie canon.

sasukemilesmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DarthAznable

@sasukemilesmorales: Being manhandled means he didn't even put up a fight which Finn did. In fact the vibroblade stormtrooper did better than Kylo. This is a repetitive conversation that's going nowhere so please, stop tagging me.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: he was man handled

He was defeated, not manhandled. Kylo, while injured, was trying to kill Finn and still got tagged pretty badly by him before Finn finally fell.

sasukemilesmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

One Jedi is enough.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah, he'll just be the capable trooper and protagonist he is now

oopsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he'll just end up getting awesome blasters, maybe some cool tech and just be doing the same things he was trained to do.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind one bit he would be really good as much as i loved mace he was a dick. So having Finn as that laid back cool black jedi will be awesome.

dontevenblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i'd be fine with him being a Jedi! i was actually expecting that to be the case until Rey got captured.

the main problem is that TFA pointed everything Force related toward Rey and not Finn. it would be awesome if that was a misdirect or something, but i just don't see that happening.

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really hope he still becomes a jedi alongside Rey but I don't think that's going to happen

DJudgment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xrated48 said:

I really hope he still becomes a jedi alongside Rey but I don't think that's going to happen

I agree!! I would really like to see him as a jedi, but the chances of that are looking very slim.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finn, as much as we've seen, is not a force wielder. Anyone can use a lightsabre. That means nothing. Its just a laser sword. His being completely owned by Kylo Ren showed he lacked any of the latent force traits of a sensitive. Even a novice can occasionally get in a lucky shot against a master swordsman - esp one as erratic as KR. And Finn would have received training in melee weaponry. His skill set is clearly blasters tho - he's the new Han... Blaster-Guy who occasionally gets really lucky

Avatar image for jesusthesefanboys
    Jesusthesefanboys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im pretty sure he is force sensitive, he heard the cries of people being blown up by starkiller base, while no one around him heard it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

No everybody needs to be a Jedi to be cool. This is like when comics try and give everybody powers even though they were cooler before.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.