The Force Awakens is better than any of the Prequels

• 69 results
Posted by Extremis (3794 posts) 3 years, 4 months ago

Poll: The Force Awakens is better than any of the Prequels (142 votes)

Yes 54%
No 46%

I think we can agree collectively that it's at least better than the prequels, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#1 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but it's not like that's hard.

#2 Edited by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. IMO the prequels are no match for the Force Awakens.

#3 Posted by Imbroken (191 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say about equal or a little bit better then episode 3.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#5 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9033 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmfao. Only on the internet would people ever think the prequels were better than episode 7.

#6 Posted by Hungry_Sharky (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

It is.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#7 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22747 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not better than RotS...at all...

#8 Posted by the_stegman (40194 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta say RotS is slightly better.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#9 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was easily better than the prequels.

#10 Posted by Chazz85 (5201 posts) - - Show Bio

Before i say i will just rank the starwars films in my opinion 1 being the highest

1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. Return of the jedi
  3. Revenge of the sith
  4. New Hope
  5. Clone wars
  6. Phantom menace

I liked this about as much as revenge of the sith so joint number 3.

#11 Posted by westy206 (1073 posts) - - Show Bio

It's better than episode 1 & 2 but none of the others and it's only just better than 2. I thought the force awakens was a let down. I don't know what it is with Star Wars but they tend to pick real poor actors for the leading role.

#12 Posted by kgb725 (18750 posts) - - Show Bio

Accidentally voted no but yes they are

#13 Posted by Patera_All (448 posts) - - Show Bio

I jumped onto this thread to cast a vote and giggle at the current results since I considered this spite. Curious to see what the voting looks like after more members weigh in. Right now, I'm quite disappointed in the Vine. Comparing a great film with one that didn't suck... way to go contrarians.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#14 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

Greater than or equal to Revenge of the Sith.

#15 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

It's better by hills and valleys, but that's not saying a whole lot. The trailers for this were better than all the prequels.

#16 Posted by lamdaddy20 (1439 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmfao. Only on the internet would people ever think the prequels were better than episode 7.

Truth

#17 Posted by StormShadow_X (16693 posts) - - Show Bio

All were dissaponting

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#18 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11559 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

Yes, but it's not like that's hard.

#19 Edited by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

Easily. Although the prequels had a better plot the acting/writing in force awakens so badly outclasses them it doesn't matter.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#20 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely, Id say this gets close to the originals.

#21 Posted by PayneInTheAss (11488 posts) - - Show Bio

as far as direction, acting and pretty much everything else yes

but ROTS is more important in the saga IMO

#22 Posted by ssejllenrad (13110 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Revenge because of its significance in the saga but as some people have already pointed out, Awakens has better direction and acting so it is, in a lot of ways, better. It also appeals to the earlier feel of the origibal trilogy do that is also a factor. As I said earlier, though, I prefer Revenge because completed the circle.

#23 Posted by Michael69 (87 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta say yes. In order of best to worst imo goes

1) Empire Strikes Back

2) The force awakens

3) New hope

4) Revenge of the sith

5) Return of the Jedi

6) PhantomMenace

7) Attack of the clones

#24 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#25 Posted by NeonGameWave (19333 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say so considering what it means for the future of the franchise its Star Wars for a new generation.

#26 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12539 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, yes it is

#27 Edited by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

Well in some ways yes. FA has better showcase of the force, better cinematography, more likable characters overall, awesome effects in general.

The prequels have infinitely better music, better fight choreography, more political intrigue, the firterminal prequel didn't end on such a weak note, better villains (Dooku, Maul, Grevious, Jango, etc)

Christie's character was underused and underwhelming. Kylo was whiney but that one scene kind of redeemed him in my eyes.

Honestly ROTS is better than this movie. And FA in general disappointed me more than the Phantom Menace did on first viewing.

#28 Posted by Mije_101 (1533 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

Also wtf. Finn was disappointing and far more annoying than I thought he'd be.

#30 Posted by VMole (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Not exactly a high hurdle to jump to be honest. They weren't bad, they just had a different feel from the OT that I felt that TFA seemed to help recapture.

#31 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthaznable: what?? Finn was endlessly watchable. He was easily one of the finest aspects of the movie!

#32 Posted by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthaznable: what?? Finn was endlessly watchable. He was easily one of the finest aspects of the movie!

I expected him to act differently since he was a soldier who's seen some shit. I liked his willingness to do the right thing though. He's by far my favorite of the two main protagonists but at the same time, he just annoyed me sometimes with his gleeful outbursts.

#33 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthaznable: I thought his gleeful outbursts were a good embodiment of the fans. It IS an exciting series, there isn't any reason to be ashamed of that.

#34 Posted by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthaznable: I thought his gleeful outbursts were a good embodiment of the fans. It IS an exciting series, there isn't any reason to be ashamed of that.

Well it was off putting to me given his upbringing.

#35 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17571 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthaznable: he's happy to be kicking first order ass and was saving his friend Rey. I take it that is why he was happy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#36 Posted by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this even a question? Of course!

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
#37 Posted by HeavenlyDarkDragon (2219 posts) - - Show Bio

Has I see it, this is the order I prefer.

1.Revenge Of The Sith

2.Return Of The Jedi

3.New Hope

4.Empire Strikes Back

5.Attack Of The Clones

6.Force Awakens

7.Phantom Menace

Given the time it went by. We can't even compare Force Awakens to the original trilogy. The technology available alone makes any comparison a unfair one.

But still there was a lot that Force Awakens could and should've done better.

The fact it failed to do so, will only become aware to most, in the next months.

Until then I'll keep any other opinions to myself.

#39 Posted by Kundelar (524 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised that the poll is so close. TFA is a true Star Wars movie and it FEELS like a Star Wars movie. None of the prequels felt like Star Wars even though ROTS was decent and necessary for the plot.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#40 Posted by christianrapper (6165 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised that the poll is so close. TFA is a true Star Wars movie and it FEELS like a Star Wars movie. None of the prequels felt like Star Wars even though ROTS was decent and necessary for the plot.

from what i have seen most younger people prefer the newer movies to the originals. the force awakens was essentially the same movie as the first one. they are trying to blow up a death star.

#41 Posted by Kundelar (524 posts) - - Show Bio

@bannyhaha said:

from what i have seen most younger people prefer the newer movies to the originals. the force awakens was essentially the same movie as the first one. they are trying to blow up a death star.

Yes it does have many mirrored qualities of a New Hope, but even if some may consider that corny, I really liked it and think the characters were quite different than the original trilogy cast. And the whole Starkiller base does make sense if you think about it because the New Order was based off of the Empire in many ways, so it is fitting that they use a Deathstar-like structure.....and even so, it completely destroyed the new republic which was a pretty impressive feat and advanced their cause.

#42 Posted by Doctor_Vader (219 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a little torn to be honest... XD

Its obviously better than ep.I and II, but ep. III kind of have a soft spot in my heart, being the first Star Wars movie that I ever saw on the theaters and still one of my favorite movies... But I believe that yes, ep. VII is probably better than III just because that horrible romance scenes that put Reveng of the Sith lower...

#43 Edited by comic_bruh777 (1695 posts) - - Show Bio

It's better than episode 1 and maybe better than episode 2 but that's it. Clone wars had some terrible acting but it also had some awesome parts! Obi wan vs jango was a sick fight also the formation of the clone army, a freaking small army of Jedi led by mace Windu, and also saw Yoda get down and make tyranus run for his life after he owned anakin and obi wan. The prequels had some terrible acting no doubt but if you can ignore those parts and focus on all the good there is you'll find that you still have pretty awesome parts that are also super important to the franchise. I think return of the sith was better than the force awakens

#44 Posted by Reactor (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it funny how some "fans" will not tolerate the preferences of other fans, so when said tastes are revealed, they become criticized

On point, I loved The Force Awakens about as much as I loved Revenge of the Sith when it first came out. It was all I could think about and I saw it over and over again. New productions put fanboyism on an excitement-high, so really the passage of time is necessary for anyone loving this film to really see where it stands.

#45 Posted by ChillinNKillin (201 posts) - - Show Bio

If people are really honest with themselves, look at the writing, and the ridiculous skimming of details (as expected of an Abrams' film), you'd see that it's AT BEST a bit better than RotS.

So between a 6.5 and 7.

For me, its V, IV, VII, III, VI, II, I, from best to worst.

#46 Posted by slimj87d (15637 posts) - - Show Bio

4 and 7 are tied

Thats my order.

#47 Edited by MakkyD (6989 posts) - - Show Bio

As bad as the prequels were, at least they had a sense of originality to them.

#48 Posted by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d said:

4 and 7 are tied

Thats my order.

Because they're the same movie? ;)

#49 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

Rey ruined it I'd say, the clone wars and rots were definitely better

#50 Posted by Incursion (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

The Force Awakens>>>>The Prequels in everything except music

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.