Starkiller Base Theory: It was lame on purpose (Spoilers)

#1 Posted by ThomasElliot (439 posts) - - Show Bio

If anyone else has thrown this theory out there and I just missed it, then sorry for repeating it.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens quite a bit, enough to overlook its imperfections. There is one common complaint though that I can’t get over, and that is the issue with Starkiller base being a copycat, right down to ‘shoot the one spot to blow it up’.

Most criticisms have settled on saying that it was nothing more than lazy, derivative scripting to exploit something familiar, so that TFA could play it safe.

But after having seen TFA a 2nd time, it occurred to me: What if you are purposely manipulated into thinking it’s a copycat? Doesn’t it seem MORE far-fetched that all the people involved with this film, new and old (Kathleen Kennedy and Lawrence Kasdan even!) would be THAT lazy about the plot?

So after the 2nd viewing, I have a theory:

The Starkiller base is INTENTIONALLY an easy target, expensive bait. Some kind of master plan by Snoke to lure in the Resistance. A red herring!

Things that support my theory:

- The entire plot of TFA rolls into motion because of one thing: The Resistance obtains the missing puzzle piece of the Luke Skywalker map

- Kylo Ren clearly explains that the First Order has the larger map, only missing the puzzle piece. What they are after more than anything else in this film is that piece

- Its never explicitly stated that Snoke is trying to *prevent* the Resistance from finding Luke (this is the general assumption by most viewers, I found); Consider instead that Snoke has some deeply personal interest in finding Luke’s whereabouts himself

- After failed attempts at obtaining the puzzle piece, the First Order attacked the Republic using Starkiller. The First Order (or at least Snoke) would HAVE to know there would be a response of some kind… an attack on Starkiller. Of course, the Resistance needs a solid attack plan… and lo and behold, here’s a weak spot. Hook, line and sinker.

- During the destruction of Starkiller, Snoke has ZERO EMOTION over the destruction of the base. His only command is to evacuate and bring Kylo to him to complete his training. If Starkiller was so important… shouldn’t Snoke be seriously pissed? Or perhaps Starkiller at this point has fulfilled its purpose, exactly as Snoke intended

- When the Resistance, along w/ the film’s main heroes, return from the destroyed Starkiller base, R2D2 reactivates and, how convenient, he has the Luke map… however it’s the map with a missing puzzle piece… the SAME map that Kylo Ren mentioned

- Its only *assumed* that R2 reactivates either due to some proximity to Rey, or Anakin’s lightsaber… but its never actually explained why R2 comes to life at that moment. And R2’s very first act after all these years is to reveal his master’s secret location?

To sum up my theory: When Snoke couldn’t obtain the last missing puzzle piece on his own, he instead lures the Resistance to him so that The First Order could somehow plant and send back the larger map with the Resistance, knowing full well that with a completed map, they could just follow the Resistance to Luke’s secret location. Whatever Snoke’s deal is with Luke, its his entire motivation and nothing else matters

Here’s the kicker: Finn might be an unwitting plant? Who tells the Resistance about the weak spot in Starkiller? Why was Finn, a former janitor, part of the invasion detail at the beginning of the film? We assume Kylo sensed Finn’s reluctance with that look in the beginning, but maybe its something else Kylo sensed? Finn ‘saves’ Poe and all Poe wants is to find BB-8, again leading The First Order to the puzzle piece (the real monkey wrench in all of Snoke’s plans wasn’t Finn, it was Rey).

For this part of the theory, I don’t believe Finn is purposely deceiving, but that he was programmed to be a spy and only used as a contingency plan.

A lot of it is very elaborate just for one guy to find Luke’s location. If my theory is right in any way, Starkiller would have been an extremely costly rat trap. I admit the Finn part is a stretch… and my theory certainly has its own holes. But just something to consider.

#2 Posted by Penderor (5561 posts) - - Show Bio

If anyone else has thrown this theory out there and I just missed it, then sorry for repeating it.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens quite a bit, enough to overlook its imperfections. There is one common complaint though that I can’t get over, and that is the issue with Starkiller base being a copycat, right down to ‘shoot the one spot to blow it up’.

Most criticisms have settled on saying that it was nothing more than lazy, derivative scripting to exploit something familiar, so that TFA could play it safe.

But after having seen TFA a 2nd time, it occurred to me: What if you are purposely manipulated into thinking it’s a copycat? Doesn’t it seem MORE far-fetched that all the people involved with this film, new and old (Kathleen Kennedy and Lawrence Kasdan even!) would be THAT lazy about the plot?

So after the 2nd viewing, I have a theory:

The Starkiller base is INTENTIONALLY an easy target, expensive bait. Some kind of master plan by Snoke to lure in the Resistance. A red herring!

Things that support my theory:

- The entire plot of TFA rolls into motion because of one thing: The Resistance obtains the missing puzzle piece of the Luke Skywalker map

- Kylo Ren clearly explains that the First Order has the larger map, only missing the puzzle piece. What they are after more than anything else in this film is that piece

- Its never explicitly stated that Snoke is trying to *prevent* the Resistance from finding Luke (this is the general assumption by most viewers, I found); Consider instead that Snoke has some deeply personal interest in finding Luke’s whereabouts himself

- After failed attempts at obtaining the puzzle piece, the First Order attacked the Republic using Starkiller. The First Order (or at least Snoke) would HAVE to know there would be a response of some kind… an attack on Starkiller. Of course, the Resistance needs a solid attack plan… and lo and behold, here’s a weak spot. Hook, line and sinker.

- During the destruction of Starkiller, Snoke has ZERO EMOTION over the destruction of the base. His only command is to evacuate and bring Kylo to him to complete his training. If Starkiller was so important… shouldn’t Snoke be seriously pissed? Or perhaps Starkiller at this point has fulfilled its purpose, exactly as Snoke intended

- When the Resistance, along w/ the film’s main heroes, return from the destroyed Starkiller base, R2D2 reactivates and, how convenient, he has the Luke map… however it’s the map with a missing puzzle piece… the SAME map that Kylo Ren mentioned

- Its only *assumed* that R2 reactivates either due to some proximity to Rey, or Anakin’s lightsaber… but its never actually explained why R2 comes to life at that moment. And R2’s very first act after all these years is to reveal his master’s secret location?

To sum up my theory: When Snoke couldn’t obtain the last missing puzzle piece on his own, he instead lures the Resistance to him so that The First Order could somehow plant and send back the larger map with the Resistance, knowing full well that with a completed map, they could just follow the Resistance to Luke’s secret location. Whatever Snoke’s deal is with Luke, its his entire motivation and nothing else matters

Here’s the kicker: Finn might be an unwitting plant? Who tells the Resistance about the weak spot in Starkiller? Why was Finn, a former janitor, part of the invasion detail at the beginning of the film? We assume Kylo sensed Finn’s reluctance with that look in the beginning, but maybe its something else Kylo sensed? Finn ‘saves’ Poe and all Poe wants is to find BB-8, again leading The First Order to the puzzle piece (the real monkey wrench in all of Snoke’s plans wasn’t Finn, it was Rey).

For this part of the theory, I don’t believe Finn is purposely deceiving, but that he was programmed to be a spy and only used as a contingency plan.

A lot of it is very elaborate just for one guy to find Luke’s location. If my theory is right in any way, Starkiller would have been an extremely costly rat trap. I admit the Finn part is a stretch… and my theory certainly has its own holes. But just something to consider.

You dont understand it man. Snoke created Starkiller because he is rich fart and needs to spend his credits. So he created very big expensive ball that can be easily destroyed by one Falcon and two X-Wings.

#3 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

No sane man or dark-side practitioner of any caliber would make something like that just to lure one person.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
#4 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't forget how easy it was to get Phasma to take the shields down.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by dontevenblink (761 posts) - - Show Bio

this is actually pretty interesting. not every part of it is entirely solid and it does seem like a lot of trouble just to trick the Resistance into revealing Luke's -and the First Temple's- location. (think of all the First Order troops and resources that were lost because of one weakness) but it does at least explain in a more satisfying way why R2 woke up when he did, and why Snoke acted the way he did.

#6 Posted by Stahlflamme (5829 posts) - - Show Bio

If I remember correctly the First Order was fine with destroying the droid with the last puzzle piece, if needed. When Ren ordered to capture the droid and not destroy it he was actually warned, that he should be careful by Hux because his personal interest may not be in line with Snokes wishes.

Also the Starkiller base fullfilled its purpose by destroying the republic. The plan mentioned was specifically to take out the republic, because without its support the resistance couldn't go on for long.

#7 Posted by acer51 (2695 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would he create a super weapon that can ACTUALLY destroy worlds like that just to let it be destroyed?

The plot was just that bad dude.

#8 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely horrible idea by you

#9 Edited by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmm...no? Nobody uses resources and manpower to harvest energy directly from a sun to lure out the rebel alliance 2.0. It's just not happening. Snoke lost his weapon but still succeeded. No more republic. At the moment it's looking kinda bleak. Fake Thrawn is still alive, Emo Ren is still angsty and alive, and Phasma is confirmed to come back and still look like the outside of a retro oven.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.