Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Spoiler-Free)

#201 Posted by modsbehating (543 posts) - - Show Bio

@nicksmi56: pretty obvious the fan boy syndrome has you

#202 Posted by MakkyD (6989 posts) - - Show Bio

The easiest way I can describe how it's structured is it's great for people who either love the franchise or are not really familiar with it, but it's just alright for anyone in between.

#203 Edited by SymbioteSaiyan (714 posts) - - Show Bio

@modsbehating: Agreed that was my only thing I didn't like about the movie. She all of a sudden over powers a dude that's been training with Luke and a Sith Lord? Cmon now she didn't even get a scratch on her. Lukes first fight with Vader he got his hand cut off and had to run away haha

#204 Posted by modsbehating (543 posts) - - Show Bio
#205 Edited by Hatch (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Warning! Spoilers in the following message.....

I thought the movie was entertaining, and they have my money for the two sequels. Like the new characters and loved seeing the old characters in new situations.

With that being said, a few issues:

• They build another Death Star upgrade/ Star Killer base with an exploitable weakness? Shouldn't they have fired that design engineer after the first death star was destroyed? Instead, he or she goes on to build two more? How can the Empire/ First Order be that menacing if they're that incompetent? Must be the same engineer who designed their detention block security system.
  • The Star Killer Base/Death Star upgrade charges itself from the system's star. If I'm not mistaken, the star is used up after the Death Star upgrade charges a second time. If they managed a second shot, how were they going to recharge it again? All those man-hours building the thing and it couldn't be used after the second shot. Another strike against the design engineer.
  • Kylo has his butt kicked by someone with no training. I know he was hurt, but he stopped a blaster bolt in mid-air with his mind at the beginning of the film. I liked the character's emotional vulnerability. It makes the audience sympathize with him in a weird way, but how can we consider him a threat from this point forward? Although, he does have a cool light saber.
  • They made a big deal about how important it was to drop the shield on the Death Star upgrade so it could be attacked. Wasn't Han able to fly through the shield in hyperspace? Couldn't the X-wings do the same thing? A third strike against the Star Killer design engineer.

I enjoyed the film, but JJ has some plot holes which were difficult to ignore. They kept taking me out of suspension of disbelief during the movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#206 Posted by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

@modsbehating: And him beating Vader to begin with with not nearly as much lightsaber training. Or Anakin suddenly able to outfight Dooku despite not being on his level. Or about 10 other examples.

Jedi have been prone to sudden boosts of power from the Force for a really long time now. Not sure why it's a problem here of all times

#207 Posted by Arinya (509 posts) - - Show Bio

Does not stray far from the formula of Episodes 4-6. Still fun to watch.

#208 Posted by kendigs (55 posts) - - Show Bio

@pelykan said:

I liked how it felt more like the old trilogy. The overall story moves a bit slower but it does give me hope the entire trilogy will be a great story alltogether.

I was seriously bummed Phasma hardly had any screentime.

#209 Posted by DevilMayehm666 (958 posts) - - Show Bio

4/5 stars for me.

#210 Posted by Lunarstorm (298 posts) - - Show Bio

A copy and paste movie of "A New Hope" with a Marry Sue character with zero context to her background and a Stormtrooper who had an invisible aura to the plot. Damn the review rating on this site has gone to bonkers lately. A Deathstar that becomes a Starkiller with yet another plot hole. Weak shields. These engineers of the empire really build shitty installations. But I'll give them this though the f##### Empire build these bad boys like Ford built his cars on a assembly line. For every movie there's a Deathstar to be destroyed. EPIC!!!!

#211 Posted by MrMazz (2002 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally got a chance to see it again and hey it's good. Better on rewatch (and at a better angle). The move did exactly what it needed to do.

Cheap Plug to User Review

#212 Posted by modsbehating (543 posts) - - Show Bio

@nicksmi56:

what you mean Anakin actually put some effort into it , and Anakin was totallly above duku he had training, years of it actually made sense training plus talent also it wasnt the first freaking time he touched a saber {tons of things happen to him even that weird cartoon is canon} and hmm what happened when Luke tried darth on the first time yup no hand for you and he had to go train for a little while a "force boost" Lmao man i dont wanna argue with your fan boy ness im not a fan where you can bring up past movies like i care lmao

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#213 Edited by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

@modsbehating: Luke didn't go train for a while lol. He was looking for Han. And when he went back for training, Yoda died before he could. So he didn't go back and train. He literally just got better

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#214 Posted by The Impersonator (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

Best movie ever. I'm a bit disappointed that the EU has been ignored. But it made sense why Disney did it. Most people don't read the EU novels and some do. The EU fans knows what's going to happen in the movies, if Disney had allowed it. It will definitely ruin the surprise.

#215 Posted by Omanlew (89 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoiler warning!

Does anyone know who the old man is who originally has the part of the map to Luke Skywalker in the first scene? I'm assuming he may of been involved with the Knights of Ren but not sure.

#216 Posted by comicfan11 (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

5/10 for me.

Basically the old movies with a new paint job and a worse plot with some colossal plot holes and plot fails.

Better than the prequels, but that was easy to achieve.

#217 Posted by Incursion (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

Great movie 8.9/9 out of ten for me cant wait for episode 8

#218 Posted by VegetaPrince (10 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.