Follow

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Movie » Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens released on December 18, 2015.

The seventh installment in the Star Wars saga, set 30 years after Star Wars, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

(mild spoiler) Who else hopes Rey isn't a Skywalker?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I've heard quite a few people claiming that Rey is going to end up being Leia or Luke's daughter and most of it seems to revolve around her just having the force. I know there was the thing with Luke's lightsaber and all but that could be explained by other means. It just seems like people believe the only force users left are Skywalkers, but the thing is the force isn't dependent on inherited traits there were plenty of Jedi who came from families who weren't force users.

I just hope this isn't the case, there are plenty of ways to give her a compelling backstory without making her part of the Skywalker family.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope she isn't. It makes no sense really. Sure, maybe Yoda and Old Ben never told Luke he can't have kids as a Jedi. In fact, Luke would probably think that having kids is totally normal as a Jedi given the fact that he is the son of one.

But, I don't understand how Luke or Leia could be such crappy parents to let their daughter end up as a poor scavenger on some random planet somewhere without being able to find her or caring about her. There likely would have been a clue towards her being a skywalker if she truly was one. The saber calling out to her was because she can use the force, and it was being awakened IMO.

Now, I can see how Rey being Luke's child would make a little bit of sense, but only because it would parallel Luke's story in a way. Given away to a family on desert planet, very poor, family dies, and goes on to find true father and defeat the villain. They could make that parallel between Luke and Rey but it really doesn't make sense to me and would be very forced.

The orange lady who gave Rey the lightsaber mentioned how it was used by Luke, and his father before him- perhaps this could be building up to a moment where Rey has a line saying how it was used by her father, and his father before him, but that would just be cheesy IMO, and as I said before, forced. No pun intended.

ablackmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not me. It just makes sense for her to be a Skywalker, both here and in-universe.
    But you never know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: except she wasn't given over to a poor family as you can clearly see its the alien vendor dude's arm holding her while she calls out to the ship. So she was literally just dumped on the planet as a child or possibly even sold to the vendor for the ship....which seems to be heavily implied given her reluctance to sell BB-8 for food.

Probably the most unlikely scenario, but would play on a few different EU concepts, would be that she is a child of Anakin Skywalker and thus half-sister to Luke and Leia. Palpatine, believing he'd never get Luke to join the dark side, initiated a plan to have one of his Force sensitive servants (Mara Jade) give birth to a child of Anakin to train from birth the Sith heir he wanted Anakin to be but who became limited in power needing his life support suit to survive. Snoke was the one who was ordered to watch over Mara and keep her safe during this pregnancy but the combination of becoming a mother and Palpatine's death turned Mara toward the light and she escaped shortly after giving birth to Rey. On the run from Snoke for a number of years Mara finally decided to hide Rey by leaving her on Jakku while she led Snoke and his forces of a goose chase to prevent them discovering Rey's location.

This allows the lightsaber to be calling out to a Skywalker and child of Anakin while also playing into the comments about Han being "like a father she never had" (which she wouldn't have with Anakin dying at the same time as Palpatine) but also having found her "family" through the entire events of the film in Han and Leia, give a bit more meaning to the hug between her and Leia at the end, and also play on the look of concern on Luke's face when they meet as he might be aware of her parentage.

It would also make for an interesting contrast in Episode 8 and 9 as Ben Solo/Kylo Ren wants so much to be like and surpass Darth Vader, his granddaughter, whereas the actual daughter of Anakin Skywalker doesn't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltbrd: It's entirely possible she was given over to a poor family, and then that family was taken away as shown in the movie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I don't get where you're getting the "taken away" aspect of her family??? it was stated several times by Rey that her family left her and the flashback is of her crying out for the ship going into space. None of that implies that her family was taken, enslaved, captured, or in any other way lost aside from just dumping her on Jakku as stated. Plus her reluctance to sell off BB-8 for food wouldn't fit with her parent's being taken cause what would the junker have gotten out of allowing the parents to be taken but not the child. If it was in anyway connected to the First Order it would have made more sense for Rey to be taken, like Finn and the other Stormtroopers were as kids, than her parents. If it was connected to Snoke pretty much the same thing as he could shape a child rather than adults.

No, don't see where it was implied in the film that her family was taken away.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltbrd: I got the vibe that her family was taken away. Why would they just leave her

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's the question but at no point did the film mention or imply that the family was taken and the flashback heavily indicated Rey being left/abandoned and possibly sold to the junker. but never did the film try to indicate the parents were taken or she was exchanged for them. that is what happened with Finn based on how the First Order grew their ranks but not Rey.

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ME!!! I was already hoping Kylo wasn't related to any of the main characters. Making Rey a Skywalker seems so predictable and boring.

Kundelar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well there's pretty much no way she isn't a Skywalker. Only a descendant of the Chosen One could have that much raw force potential without being trained at all.

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes as long as it makes sence in the way they explained it.

Curve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Curve

I would be okay if she was, like, somehow down a different bloodline than Luke (example, another child of Shmi, and a line of children leading to Rey from her) but even then it's a lil sketchy

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltbrd said:

@jayc1324: I don't get where you're getting the "taken away" aspect of her family??? it was stated several times by Rey that her family left her and the flashback is of her crying out for the ship going into space. None of that implies that her family was taken, enslaved, captured, or in any other way lost aside from just dumping her on Jakku as stated. Plus her reluctance to sell off BB-8 for food wouldn't fit with her parent's being taken cause what would the junker have gotten out of allowing the parents to be taken but not the child. If it was in anyway connected to the First Order it would have made more sense for Rey to be taken, like Finn and the other Stormtroopers were as kids, than her parents. If it was connected to Snoke pretty much the same thing as he could shape a child rather than adults.

No, don't see where it was implied in the film that her family was taken away.

How do you know it was her real family?

comic_bruh777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope she is Luke's daughter. To me that's the only reason to explain how she pulled off what she did at the end and how she's so strong and naturally gifted with the force

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope she isn't.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Surely there must be some other family out there other than Skywalker...

You know, out of the 16 quintillion lives in the Galaxy...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@comic_bruh777: Maybe unlike Anakin, Rey is the legit "Chosen One", remember the only reason the Jedi believed Anakin was what they thought he was, was due to Palpatane's manipulation.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DevilMayehm666

I think she was created from the force like Anakin.

comic_bruh777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Maybe... Now this is kinda twisted and could be super off but an interesting thought either way. Think about that term. Bring balance to the force. Balance between good and evil?? Why would the good guys want that?! In episode 1 it's maul and palatine vs every Jedi in the galaxy. And by the time anakin turns to Vader at the end of episode 3 has he truly brought "balance" to the force? It's now him and palatine vs Yoda and obi wan. Kind of interesting. That maybe that was him truly bringing balance between good and evil. And it was stated in plain sight and the Jedi misunderstood what that statement truly means. One step further and maybe Darth plagueis influenced the midichlorians to create life in the form of anakin to fulfill this profecy

comic_bruh777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She better be a Skywalker as far as I'm concerned. The whole star wars saga is about the Skywalker family and that should not change. They're the most powerful force users of all time and no one can really stand against one except another Skywalker. It'll also add a lot of drama between her and Luke in 8. I could have swore I read somewhere JJ said that the only reason her parents weren't named in 7 is because the "I'm your father" line wasn't in episode 4 and that's the movie they were basing 7 off of.

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
    Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope she isn't. It'd be so lame and repetitive. Besides Jedi weren't even supposed to have children. Considering Luke follows the rules of the Jedi more closely than Anakin did, I think he wouldn't break that rule. Not to mention Rey thought Luke and the Jedi were just myths.

dontevenblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i honestly don't see how Rey could possibly be a Skywalker! it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever!

Maz Kanata said whoever you're waiting for is never coming back. if Maz could know that much through the force, and she sees the same eyes in different people, and she was trying to convince Rey to go find Luke, the how TF can anyone think that Rey is Luke's daughter?? why would Maz not tell her that if she was trying to convince Rey to take the lightsaber and become a Jedi?? the lightsaber called to her because she's a Force user in need of training, not because she's a Skywalker from what i understand.

No Caption Provided

if Rey is Leia's daughter, then how TF do you explain Leia not recognizing her in the exact same hairdo she had when she was dropped off on Jakku? not to mention a Force-sensitive mother not recognizing her Force-sensitive child that she physically gave birth to. both Luke and Leia are sensitive enough in the Force to know when someone they love is in danger, how to find them, and know when that person is still alive or dead. Rey's parents are dead or they would have come back.

"come back!"

neither Luke, nor Leia are the kind of people to leave their ~5 yr old daughter on a desert planet to fend for her self while they run off to do Jedi/Resistance stuff. there is no logic in that theory at all! why wouldn't Luke or Leia just keep Rey with them? no, Rey's parents are dead. besides, she talks and acts nothing like a Skywalker! have you even seen the past 6 movies?? Skywalkers are complainers and full of themselves! (until Luke gets more "Zen" and Leia gets older)

this leaves only two logical options: Rey is either the granddaughter of Obi Wan Kenobi (because of her accent and similarity in personality), or her parents are no one we've met before (my favorite theory).

if Rey is Obi Wan's granddaughter, that implies that he had a secret family -or at least a lover- during any number of years he was off-screen. this is quite plausible and would give room for loads of poetry in the overall story arc. a Kenobi training, beating, and being killed by a Skywalker; a Kenobi being trained by a Skywalker, fighting another Skywalker, and possibly killing or turning him back to the Light Side; a Kenobi fighting someone with a double-sided saber, a Kenobi possibly using a double-sided saber in the next two... there are many more cool ironies and parallels that this theory opens up, but i'll leave that to you to think about.

No Caption Provided

...what i actually don't like about this theory is mainly that Obi Wan would have followed the Jedi code (from what we've seen in the movies). i'm fine with them taking this route, but it does seem a bit out of his character to start a family, and -again- brings up the question of why he wouldn't seek them out instead of staying as a hermit on Tatooine. they'll just have to do a lot more explaining with this theory.

but if Rey isn't connected by blood to anyone we've met thus far, this is really a refreshing thought! her parents, whoever they were, left her on Jakku in a desperate "Moses-like" situation and were killed shortly afterward (by the Knights of Ren?). this allows us to side-step the "Chosen One"/"Midi-chlorians"/"Prophesy" crap from the prequels entirely and just believe that the Force called to her and she is just a really cool new character for a cool new generation and that's all we really need to know. we don't need to get bogged down in her heritage because she's just a fresh new start and the Force is just with her. the Force flows through everything and expands your natural talents and abilities.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

it's okay for Rey to be a gifted mechanic and pilot who is augmented by just happening to be a powerful Force user! there are plenty of Force users in the EU who are just really good at what they do without having baggage from their parents. i for one think that Rey being a "no-one", as she herself says, is the most rewarding and least convoluted way to tell her story. it makes her that much more inspiring. it makes her taking Ben Solo's place even more enraging to him because he's from the "true lineage" or whatever, but Rey defeats him from a background of nothing because she isn't conflicted. she has always chosen hope and kindness despite her circumstances. she has her own self-doubt to overcome, but she is the embodiment of the Light Side of the Force.

this isn't meant to be an end-game theory, but it honestly feels more logical and satisfying to me than her being a Skywalker ever would.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ME!!! I was already hoping Kylo wasn't related to any of the main characters. Making Rey a Skywalker seems so predictable and boring.

This.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.