Is it just me, or did Kylo Ren become way less intimidating after he took off his mask?

Posted by Crazyspideyfan (175 posts) 3 years, 3 months ago

Poll: Is it just me, or did Kylo Ren become way less intimidating after he took off his mask? (74 votes)

Yes, less intimidating 84%
No, stayed the same 16%

What do you think?

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
#1 Edited by HeavenlyDarkDragon (2219 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely!

He was already walking on thin ice, with his outbursts of anger. But the moment he took off the mask, his villainous place was removed from under his feet.

And his face... Some people, say that Keanu Reeves has the facial expressions of a cement wall. Adam Driver aka Kylo Ren, facial expressions seemed to be of constant pain or suffering. It was like he was always almost bursting into tears. The mask had a better facial expression he was ever able to pull off the moment he took it off and started walking around without it.

#2 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, a bit. In all fairness so long as it was a human face under the mask, it was going to be less intimidating.

#3 Posted by Spambot (9404 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like to some degree trying to get an actor who looked sort of like Harrison Ford doomed the character as did the need to make him Han and Leia's son. I don't even know how to feel about Kylo right now. I guess I'm supposed to hate him because he killed Han but we also have no real idea why he would completely betray his family to run off with Snoke other than 'he's got too much Vader in him' which is a complete copout imo. He just isn't a strong character imo. He's too conflicted and too whiny.

#4 Posted by ParaChomp (1176 posts) - - Show Bio

Who doesn't?

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#5 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9033 posts) - - Show Bio

This can be said about almost any character in history who wears a mask.

#6 Posted by derekvang (1519 posts) - - Show Bio

@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

This can be said about almost any character in history who wears a mask.

The first thing that popped into my mind when you said that was this lol

No Caption Provided

#7 Posted by hyiena (5327 posts) - - Show Bio

He took off his mask then you realize he is JP from Grandma's Boy.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#8 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

He wasnt very intimidating with the mask on to begin with. Kylo Ren was a pretty good character, but I never found him intimidating with or without the mask.

#9 Posted by GREGalicious (607 posts) - - Show Bio

He actually became less intimidating as the movie went on anyway. He simply seemed weak and whiny.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
#10 Posted by infantfinite128 (5774 posts) - - Show Bio

I should hope so! Poor Adam Driver....

#11 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

I am sure it is the first paragrap on the first page of "Being cool with a helmet."

§1: If you have a cool helmet, you do not remove your helmet, you are not cool without it!

Avatar image for christianrapper
#12 Posted by christianrapper (6165 posts) - - Show Bio

that was probably the point. it was to show that he was human under that mask. darth vader was mostly a machine and couldn't take off the mask. they wanted to show that kylo was a man with feelings and not some monster.

#13 Posted by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah but its fine with me, he was that nerdy kid in the back of class that you use to pick on until BAM, force chokes the shit out of you

#14 Edited by rogueshadow (29264 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have preferred he left it on until he faced Han, it would have made the removal of the mask and the death of Han overall far more potent.

#15 Posted by wakandaaaa123 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah he became way less intimidating and seemingly weaker too he got creamed by rye who was using the lightsaber for the first time

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#16 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

I would have preferred he left it on until he faced Han, it would have made the removal of the mask and the death of Han overall far more potent.

Agreed.

Take the mask off as Han approaches and put it back on afterwards would have been perfect IMO

#17 Posted by wakandaaaa123 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

Agreed.

I find that too but if it was only revealed that he was his son at that point it would have also been better it would be like reverse darth vader

#18 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes but I think that was on purpose.

#19 Posted by Drmagic (1632 posts) - - Show Bio

He caught the mcu villian syndrome

#20 Posted by lubub55 (12905 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#21 Posted by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

What because he looked like a normal guy? No, not really. The guy was a still a 6ft4 menacing dude who could torture you with the force and halt blaster bolts in mid air. The only thing that changed was that his character became more sympathetic and interesting. If he was a carbon copy of Darth Vader or even shared his traits people would complain about the lack of originality that the film supposedly has. So JJ made a character that was both interesting and tortured at the same time and who in one film had me hooked and wanting to see more. The guy took a damn heavy blaster bolt to the chest and kept fighting. That takes some serious power.

#22 Posted by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

No, stayed the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#23 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but that's the point........Kylo is trying to be something he's not.

#24 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3976 posts) - - Show Bio

That was the point

#25 Posted by rogueshadow (29264 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager said:
@rogueshadow said:

Agreed.

I find that too but if it was only revealed that he was his son at that point it would have also been better it would be like reverse darth vader

I wasn't referring to the identity reveal, just the mask.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#26 Edited by The Impersonator (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

He was intimidating until he took his mask off.

#27 Posted by panther21 (1277 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep. Voice was still sexy deep tho.

#29 Posted by Jeepeh (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh, He was awesome up until then. When he stopped the blaster bolt in mid air I was like "O_O"

Whenever he took off the helmet, I couldn't take him very seriously for some reason. Somewhat barring the final fight. But when he put it back on it mostly came back.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
#30 Posted by unBREAKable_Fs4 (4316 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was done intentionally so the change in his temperament after his training with Snoke would be more impactful

#31 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it, It humanized him. And it was pretty badass how he removed it so casually. Usually movies try to create this liar reveal around the face behind the mask but here it was out of the way quickly.

#32 Edited by Kundelar (524 posts) - - Show Bio

Well not hes gonna have a gnarly-ass scar on his face from getting slashed by Rey, so I assume that along with Snoke's training will make him a bit more menacing without the mask.

#33 Posted by Deathstroke02 (3369 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by BulletTimer (1090 posts) - - Show Bio

That was well executed. People would expect some horrifically scarred abomination or some-such, and we get a normal looking (even handsome in some aspects) young man. Subverts expectations.

#35 Edited by Prospero_Locke (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually thought it made him cooler, but slightly less intimidating. I tend to favor villains that are more troubled and less muscle-bound square-jawed baddash characters. just me personally, but kylo was one of the main redeeming factors of the movie to me.

#36 Posted by Tazirai (320 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of you missed the point entirely.

But that's too be expected when raised on the badassery, of masked badass?

Set yourselves up for fails.

#37 Posted by TifaLockhart (21111 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by Xaos (1126 posts) - - Show Bio

What because he looked like a normal guy? No, not really. The guy was a still a 6ft4 menacing dude who could torture you with the force and halt blaster bolts in mid air. The only thing that changed was that his character became more sympathetic and interesting. If he was a carbon copy of Darth Vader or even shared his traits people would complain about the lack of originality that the film supposedly has. So JJ made a character that was both interesting and tortured at the same time and who in one film had me hooked and wanting to see more. The guy took a damn heavy blaster bolt to the chest and kept fighting. That takes some serious power.

This.

I will add that he's a more profound character than the usual bad guy of Star Wars. Kylo Ren is a deconstruction of the path of the sith. Oh yeah, he's powerful, but deep inside, he is something like pathetic, whiny and insecure and that's why he choose the dark side.

In fact, he's a prequel Anakin Skywalker made right.

#39 Posted by vptwarrior (556 posts) - - Show Bio

I never saw the actors face once before the movie, but this sums it up pretty well.

No Caption Provided

He's not intimidating, but i don't know what to make of him.

#40 Posted by TubbyLumpkins (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't that the point?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.