Do you think Star Wars The Force Awakens will break box office records?

Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) 3 years, 4 months ago

Poll: Do you think Star Wars The Force Awakens will break box office records? (56 votes)

Yes 75%
No 25%

Self explanatory title is self exploratory.

#1 Posted by JediXMan (42486 posts) - - Show Bio

It already did.

#2 Posted by ComicStooge (22062 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#3 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#4 Posted by Flumox56 (2301 posts) - - Show Bio

Quite possibly.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#5 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it will probably break a few.

#6 Edited by JediXMan (42486 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge said:

@jedixman: How do?

It broke the record for most pre-sales by a significant amount. So far, it has made $50,000,000, and it isn't even in theaters yet.

Link.

#7 Posted by Mr_Existence (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if it's good..if word of mouth says the movie is garbage it'll make less than the Avengers.

#8 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

It's already broken some.

#9 Edited by Hypnos0929 (6566 posts) - - Show Bio

It should make a ton of money

#10 Edited by Heinrich7 (541 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm wondering if it'll beat TPM's total earnings. It only has 6 less years from the last trilogy gap then the Prequels did, so the time since last release hype and being the first entry to be more or less more connected with the Original Trilogy gives it a huge edge, it's also ignoring the fact that 3.5 Billion people are on the internet now then the 280 million in 1999.

When you factor all that in the potential to make over a billion is there IMO. I'd also agree with the above posters, it's already broken box offices records. I do believe this film is going to be gigantic.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#11 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11560 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if it's good..if word of mouth says the movie is garbage it'll make less than the Avengers.

#12 Posted by derekvang (1519 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course it will. It's Star Wars for pete's sake. The world has been waiting for another Star Wars film for years

#13 Posted by those_eyes (17291 posts) - - Show Bio

Dear god i hope not. If it does the star wars fanboys will squeal in joy and we will have to hear about it every 5 minutes.

#14 Posted by SirDrProfessor (1699 posts) - - Show Bio

@those_eyes: But if it doesn't we have to hear haters like you say "I told you so" every three seconds.

#15 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio

Dear god i hope not. If it does the star wars fanboys will squeal in joy and we will have to hear about it every 5 minutes.

That's only with DBZ relax lol.

#16 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11560 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do people get joy out of a movie making a lot? As if they get a piece of the pie.

#17 Posted by those_eyes (17291 posts) - - Show Bio

@those_eyes: But if it doesn't we have to hear haters like you say "I told you so" every three seconds.

Id rather hear the haters than hear the fanboys! There is nothing worse than a star wars fanboy.

Why do people get joy out of a movie making a lot? As if they get a piece of the pie.

This !

Its like they act like they put money on it in a bet and are getting a big pay out. lol

#18 Edited by Heinrich7 (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey said:

Apparently Disney does, because "If Star Wars keeps making money then we're gonna keep on making movie after movie". I'm actually shocked they had the boldness to say that this early.

I agree with You 100% though, a movie's gross income doesn't determine it's quality *cough* At World's End.

#19 Edited by SirDrProfessor (1699 posts) - - Show Bio

@sirdrprofessor said:

Id rather hear the haters than hear the fanboys! There is nothing worse than a star wars fanboy.

I know you would rather hear the haters. You are one.

People like seeing their favorite franchises do well. It means more movies in the future.

#20 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11560 posts) - - Show Bio

@those_eyes said:
@sirdrprofessor said:

I know you would rather hear the haters. You are one.

@petey_is_spidey said:

People like seeing their favorite franchises do well. It means more movies in the future.

I agree with your first part, to a degree, but not the second. Movies don't NEED to make 1 billion +. A franchise can keep going with 500-700 million a movie.

#21 Edited by SirDrProfessor (1699 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: I was just speaking in general. A movie needs to do well in order for future sequels to be made. That doesn't mean it has to make a billion but it has to do well enough.

#22 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12544 posts) - - Show Bio

.....too late

#23 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio

bump.

#25 Edited by swiftbullet (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it is very likely, there is so many people who has been hyped for a new Star Wars movie. Hell even my sister who hates the Star Wars movies will go and see it and is even excited.

#26 Edited by Spambot (9411 posts) - - Show Bio

OP needs to be a bit more specific in terms of which records he is referring to. Will it break Avatar's $2.8b worldwide record? doubtful. Could it break the domestic record of $760m domestic? possibly. Biggest opening weekend? seems highly possible.

#27 Posted by Spambot (9411 posts) - - Show Bio

@heinrich7: I'd be willing to bet it beats TMP's worldwide totals within 3 weeks of opening. $1.03b isn't that much for twa. I think expectations are more in the $1.5-2b range.

#28 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11560 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot said:

OP needs to be a bit more specific in terms of which records he is referring to. Will it break Avatar's $2.8b worldwide record? doubtful. Could it break the domestic record of $760m domestic? possibly. Biggest opening weekend? seems highly possible.

All Time worldwide? Unless tickets are going to start going for $20, HIGHLY DOUBTFUL.

All time domestic? Possibly, and probably likely.

Opening weekend? Tough to say, seeing as it'll be holiday season.

#29 Posted by Spambot (9411 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: If you need something specific I was mostly referring to opening weekend

#31 Posted by Leatherface003 (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

will break few..not all...

#32 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7d98090c8ef
#33 Posted by deactivated-5c7d98090c8ef (754 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it's cool to be a nerd now and star wars is about as Nerd as it gets

#34 Posted by Abishai100 (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

Legacy Luther

Star Wars is the Illiad of America, so we should be psyched.

The original stories these new sequels are based on focused a lot on Luke's children, so we'll see if there's enough fan interest in legacy storytelling.

No Caption Provided

#35 Posted by VegetaPrince (10 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
#36 Posted by linsanel_Doctor (8630 posts) - - Show Bio

As people have already mentioned, it did break a few records. I doubt it can surpass Avatar tho

#37 Posted by Spambot (9411 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for recreationaldoc
#38 Posted by RecreationalDoc (31 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Your right. Its broken heaps of records in a short span of time

#39 Posted by JediXMan (42486 posts) - - Show Bio

TFA is on the path to be the first movie to make 1 lb domestically (no inflation). Nice.

Hasn't even been a month yet.

#40 Posted by Straight-Fire (27275 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely, and I called this before it even happened.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.