Canon vs Legends: witch one do you prefer?

#1 Posted by Doctor_Vader (219 posts) - - Show Bio

WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL HAVE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT CRUCIAL PLOT POINTS OF THE LATEST STAR WARS MOVIE

Since Disney bought the rights from the Star Wars franchise, most of the Expanded Universe (all of the books, comic books, games and séries that are based on the Star Wars setting) became officially non canon. This change is viewed by many as a double edged lightsaber, since at the same time brought a breath of fresh air to the franchise, disentangled some of the mess of contradictions that the timeline had become and got rid of some of the stupidest parts of the series (like the Palpatine Cloning facility and the ridiculous power scaling of the latest books) but also deprived us of the Timothy Zahn book series, the Yuuzhan Vong Wars and Boba Fetts's post Sarlacc Pit adventures.

An important note: In this comparison I'm only talking about the POST EPISODE VI STORIES OF THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE. To me the Old Republic, the Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon and the Darth Plagueis novel are still canon, damn it!

So... Was it worth it to give up of the New Republic and Legacy Eras for the New Order and this new world of possiblities?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#2 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Canon. There aren't many post-RotJ stories I think have aged well.

#3 Posted by Doctor_Vader (219 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: I actually agree with you. To né the only thing I'll really miss from the post RotJ EU is the Thrawn Trilogy. And even that can be kind of shoehorned in the New canon if we change some plot points, like if (spoiler) Leia was pregnant of Ben instead of Jacen and Jaina and have Kylo Ren killing of Mara Jade to further Luke's decision to isolate himself (spoiler)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#4 Edited by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

@doctor_vader: The Thrawn Trilogy was good, but my unsurprising favorite of the EU was the X-wing novel series. I wouldn't mind something similar with Poe, Snap, Jess, et al.

#5 Posted by Doctor_Vader (219 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: For what we saw of the episode VI so far, I believe that JJ is taking some plot points of the EU (like have Han and Leia's son turning to the dark side) só I would not be surprised if that was the case

#6 Posted by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

Legends. There is far better characterization and actual characters. Canon erased a ton.

#8 Posted by Reactor (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

Legends, and it's not even close. Canon is very good so far, and it's doing well for the most part. Granted, there was a ton of crap in Legends, but there was a lot of gold and gems there too.

#9 Posted by Doctor_Vader (219 posts) - - Show Bio

@reactor: but speaking strictly on post-RotJ legends since adding all the scope of the EU would be unfair... Its really such a stomp?

#10 Posted by Penderor (5561 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly consider most of the EU thrash, but if I have to choose between second ANH and Kyle Katarn, Cadeus and Yuazhoon Vong (or whataver you spell it), I would choose the second.

#11 Posted by ablackmask (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Canon. No contest.

#12 Posted by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio

Movies

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae6527167c26
#13 Posted by deactivated-5ae6527167c26 (2058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just going to miss starkiller and revan

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#14 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Old Republic is canon still even though Disney hasn't mentioned it yet. They used Old Republic concepts in the new movies and Clone Wars already.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#15 Posted by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

Canon. The only thing I'll miss is KOTOR and Jedi Outcast

#16 Posted by DoctorXander (1512 posts) - - Show Bio

Legends minus anything during and after the Yuuzhan Vong, also anything prior that was trash (Looking at Jedi Prince, the Holiday Special and Dark Empire), and The Clone Wars 3D series.

I still accept the decision to overide the old canon as there was a lot of garbage to be compacted and it would have limited the writers WAY too much if they'd kept it

#17 Edited by Doctor_Vader (219 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller: I go for that logic as well. Unless the current canon completely overrides a previous EU story, is still canon in my book

#18 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller: I go for that logic as well. Unless the current canon completely overrides a previous EU story, is still canon in my book

Yup they even mentioned the Siege of Malacor, that's where Kylo got the design for his lightsaber. So they seem to be pulling from the Old Republic EU still

#19 Posted by TheVivas (19429 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller: The Old Republic isn't Canon. Just because they draw certain elements from there, it doesn't make the whole story, characters, etc. Canon. They used Darth Bane in TCW but none of his books or characters in them are Canon.

#20 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

@thevivas said:

@ultrastarkiller: The Old Republic isn't Canon. Just because they draw certain elements from there, it doesn't make the whole story, characters, etc. Canon. They used Darth Bane in TCW but none of his books or characters in them are Canon.

Disney is bringing pieces of the Old Republic into the new continuity all the time. I heard that the Lando comic made some Old Republic stuff canon, so I'm currently reading through that. I doubt it's an era that they are willing to release new content about like the Prequel and Original era, so I think there's a good chance that they might just legitimize the Old Republic through mention even though it's labeled "Legends"

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
#21 Edited by HeavenlyDarkDragon (2219 posts) - - Show Bio

@doctor_vader:

The Legends stories are by far a much better timeline.

And although you might complain about the power increase in the Legends later stories, none of that comes close to the now completely unbelievable way people like Rey out of nowhere learn how to use the Force to the point where she can defeat a trained Force user.

Nothing of what I've seen in Force Awakens shows any real improvement.

Legends at least gave us the chance to see Luke become all he could become, we saw him rebuild the Jedi Order, and the many challenges he had to go through and surpass. We also got to see Leia and Han development into husband and wife, and how the Skywalker line branched out.

In Force Awakens we basically learned that everything that happened during the original trilogy, was for nothing. Luke failed miserably. Han and Leia parted ways.

Has I see it Legends at least respected and moved the original trilogy forward. Force Awakens not only diminishes the original trilogy, but it actually manages to move backwards instead of forward.

I'll keep my Legends books and games thank you very much. Force Awakens isn't for me. Nor anything that comes after it.

Avatar image for americanspeeddemon
#22 Posted by americanspeeddemon (7208 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have to say Canon though i've only read a few books, played a few games, etc.

#23 Edited by Lothar57 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer Canon,because I like things that really happened.

#24 Posted by ShadowPro (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

Could anybody help me make some good legends vs cannon threads? I would like to make Ahsoka vs Lumiya or Kanan vs Darth Teaya but I'm not sure which or whether if any of them is even, also if you could give me some other suggestions it would be appreciated

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.