Anyone else think the plot of the movie is dumb?

#1 Posted by redwingx (1359 posts) - - Show Bio

Snoke wants to find Luke because he thinks Luke is definitely gonna rebuild the jedi order if the resistance find him. The resistance wants to find Luke even though he doesn't want to be found.

Basically everyone wants to find ONE old man who's a selfish prick and doesn't want to be found.

#2 Posted by Reactor (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not dumb, it's simplistic and straightforward - there's a difference. The original trilogy was very basic and fundamental, plot wise. The most intricate or extravagantly constructed plot point was Vader torturing Han to set a trap for Luke, and the Vader-daddy twist in Empire Strikes Back. Deeper plot nuances was a characteristic of the prequel trilogy. The sequel trilogy, although catering to those that love the old films, strikes a blend between both previous trilogies. One element of that blend is the simple, uncomplex story. But that doesn't make it dumb, which is more than I can say for certain elements of your concluding statement.

#3 Posted by redwingx (1359 posts) - - Show Bio

@reactor said:

It's not dumb, it's simplistic and straightforward - there's a difference. The original trilogy was very basic and fundamental, plot wise. The most intricate or extravagantly constructed plot point was Vader torturing Han to set a trap for Luke, and the Vader-daddy twist in Empire Strikes Back. Deeper plot nuances was a characteristic of the prequel trilogy. The sequel trilogy, although catering to those that love the old films, strikes a blend between both previous trilogies. One element of that blend is the simple, uncomplex story. But that doesn't make it dumb, which is more than I can say for certain elements of your concluding statement.

Call it simple or whatever but it makes no sense. You have this big ass galaxy and everyone wants to find one old man who MIGHT do something but CLEARLY doesn't want to do it. The fact that the Jedi Order hasn't been rebuild by billions of other Jedi's in the damn big ass universe is also laughable.

There's a difference between simple and downright stupid.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

It's more that the plot of a movie is a blatant rehash and outright repetition of an essential modern update of A New Hope in several places rather than the plot being dumb. But Luke going AWOL is a very dumb plot point for sure.

#5 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really, the movie focused on one central thing instead of trying to force in a bunch of other story points. Mad Max is a movie about going from Point A to Point B and back to Point A, but it's still a great story.

#6 Posted by redwingx (1359 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really, the movie focused on one central thing instead of trying to force in a bunch of other story points. Mad Max is a movie about going from Point A to Point B and back to Point A, but it's still a great story.

Mad Max plot make sense and was amazingly written unlike Star Wars.

#7 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie gets worse and worse the more you think about it. I went from loving it to hating it over the past,few days just thinking about it

Avatar image for christianrapper
#8 Edited by christianrapper (6171 posts) - - Show Bio

it wasn't dumb. it just was the same plot as 1 and 3.

#9 Posted by Archizooom (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

@christianrapper: The plot was incredibly vague, let's call a spade a spade, things just sort of happened by happenstance, with little to no context! It's quite astonishing that The Force Awakens got a nomination for best picture, it's not award winning material by no stretch of the imagination. In fact I wouldn't even nominate TFA in the best visual effects category. Everyone just really, really wants to love this movie

#10 Posted by SolidWall211 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

The plot was way too reminiscent of a new hope.

1. Why does the villian have to be a skywalker relative? A villian who has no related background to the skywalkers can have so much more variety in his character.

2. Why do all the Jedi's from the temple have to be killed again? This could of made training for Rey a lot more interesting.

3.If there was no way to make the final fight astonishing, then why have Kylo Ren fight in the first place. I know, he was shot from a powerful blaster,but come on. You were most likely Luke's best student and with a little bit of Sith training but loss to a girl with no dueling training whatsoever. Honestly what I get from that is not by how weak he is, but how dumb he is. He was in arguably his worst condition and chose to fight, instead of fleeing.

Overall though, I loved the movie. The visual effects, the Finn humour. I actually liked Kylo Rens character. He joined the Republic because he believed in thier way of view. He would put his belief over anything. The movie met my expectations. I just wish Stars Wars can make an interesting Sith apprentice without having to be a skywalker relative on film. That could then broaden the story.

#11 Posted by CairoV (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

It's more that the plot of a movie is a blatant rehash and outright repetition of an essential modern update of A New Hope in several places rather than the plot being dumb. But Luke going AWOL is a very dumb plot point for sure.

^^

#12 Posted by kgb725 (18784 posts) - - Show Bio

@solidwall211: A sith fleeing a stormtrooper he easily could've killed and a girl he almost killed... yes he should've been running scared

#13 Posted by kgb725 (18784 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx: The jedi have billions of jedi since the last movie ? Yea ok

#14 Posted by panther21 (1277 posts) - - Show Bio

it was really sraight forward and just a recycle of the plot in the first one and the character were talking too fast at times.

#15 Posted by Spambot (9411 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx: In the beginning scrawl it says Luke is the only remaining Jedi.

#16 Posted by SolidWall211 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: but he didn't. He didn't die,but was bascially deafeated, and sure as hell could've died. Also, you totally missed my point. He didn't have to be there in the first place. Those two weren't looking for him. I'll say this again. I'll simplified it a little better. If he was weak enough to possibly lose to a stromtrooper and a non experienced force senstive fighter then why bother risking his life, and not live to fight another day? It's not like he had no choice. He let his emotions get the better of him so much that he lost the capability to think? That's what i'm getting out of it. I've seen many times in star war novels and in film when Siths would retreat because they were at a disadvantage.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#17 Edited by christianrapper (6171 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx said:
said:

Mad Max plot make sense and was amazingly written unlike Star Wars.

not really. mad max's plot made no sense. they say max is valuable because of his blood type, and the first thing they do is put him in a situation where he should have been killed a thousand times over. if he was so valuable they shouldn't have strapped him to the front of a car in a dangerous car chase. that was just dumb.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.