yeopop's Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace review

Avatar image for yeopop
  • yeopop wrote this review on .
  • yeopop has written a total of 78 reviews. The last one was for Hush

The force isn’t with them

Jedi envoys Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson) and Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) are sent by the Jedi council to mediate in the conflict between the Trade Federation and Naboo. When they’re aboard Trade Federation cruiser the Jedis are ambushed but they manage to escape to Naboo aboard an assault vessel. At the royal palace the Jedis help the queen and a group of soldiers to escape from the planet, but the Trade Federation cruisers damage the spaceship and they have to stop planet Tatooine to make a repairing. Both Jedis head to Mos Espa accompanied by Jar Jar Binks (Ahmet Best) and maid Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), they they’ll meet Watto and two of his servants Anakin Skywalker and Shmi Skywalker (Pernilla August), Watto asks too much for a piece they need to repair the core of the spaceship so Qui-Gon Jinn proposes a bet: if Anakin wins they get the piece and he’ll get his freedom. In Coruscant, Darth Sidious (Ian McDiarmid) and Darth Maul (Ray Park) plot the way to kill the Jedis and the queen of Naboo.

The beginning of the saga isn’t the best for a story that started in 1977 by George Lucas and with a budget of $20 million. Everything’s interesting until the appearance of Jar Jar and annoying way to talk and behave, even the story loses some interest in some moments, especially in the scenes with Queen Amidala which is performed by Keira Knightley for a few minutes. The character of Anakin can be annoying sometimes as he knows to do everything, Natalie Portman’s acting is cold and you can clearly see that Ewan McGregor isn’t taking his role very serious, the presence of R2-D2 and C3P0 help to feel the Star Wars taste but it’s not enough. We have the presence of Samuel L Jackson playing Jedi master Mace Windu and master Yoda, who spends more time sited down moving. John Williams composed new music for this new saga and is not the best he has made, at least for this film. Like always Industrial Light and Magic makes a great job designing new places, spaceships, environments and aliens for Star Wars something that always impresses. In my opinion this is the worst film of all the saga and total let down for all fans that are millions all over the world, however, some sequences will make you have fun and feel the thrill of Star Wars.