Follow

Star Trek Into Darkness

Movie » Star Trek Into Darkness released on May 09, 2013.

Sequel to the 2009 reboot movie.

Actor Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Inspiration For Villain In 'Star Trek Into Darkness'

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Who is actor Benedict Cumberbatch playing in Star Trek Into Darkness? What is the scope of his role? Is he Khan, or will he be playing the part of an entirely new villainous character in the upcoming film? Little specifics are known about the part Cumberbatch will be playing, but fans have spent plenty of time speculating since promotional photographs for the film began to trickle out onto the web. And although the actor has yet to reveal very much information about his role, he has given fans a bit of a clue. In a recent interview, Cumberbatch discusses where he drew his inspiration from when he was studying the part. According to the actor, the best inspiration was ripped from the headlines: to prepare for 'John Harrison' Cumberbatch looked at "real social history and present history for inspiration.

No Caption Provided
    …Real social history and present history, everything that's going on: uprisings, people who are trying to spread democracy or fight their cause, not necessarily through political means ... he is a terrorist, and sadly, that's part of the fabric of our modern world. You don't need to look far to research that one.

Yes, I did look at certain terrorist groups and the way they operated. But it was important for me to ground him in a reality which was based more on his story than say a parallel in the real world, but certainly what should be chilling is the parallels that you by necessity draw because there are such strong ones with the modern world and this story.

While that doesn't give us much information in terms of the character's identity, it does give us a bit more insight into the general scope and direction of the film. Clearly, Cumberbatch's character is a terrorist and it will be interesting to see whether the character manages to inspire a sort of "uprising" against Captain Kirk in the upcoming movie. What do you think? Do you believe that the film's antagonist is an entirely new character to the Star Trek universe, or do you believe we've seen him before?

Source: MTV

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I hope Abrams doesn't leave Trek for Wars

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Matchstick

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

AMEN! I'm hoping he just juggles them both.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sora_thekey

@Matchstick said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Amen!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Mucklefluga

@Matchstick said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Cross-over !!

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spideycap

@Mucklefluga said:

@Matchstick said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Cross-over !!

Yes Please!

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Onemoreposter

I'm still hoping he's Gary Mitchell, though it's looking less and less likely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2eacdb35fa3
    deactivated-5a2eacdb35fa3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think that it is Picard. That would be the craziest thing that JJ Arams could do. Pitting one Captain against another is what we all want to see.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By JamesKM716

I'm thinking that it's Gary Mitchell, but he could be Khan or Robert April.

Still, hoping for Mitchell.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TheMess1428

HE IS Q FROM NEXT GENERATION!

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By feargalr

I hope Abrams leaves Trek for Wars

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By csl316

Benedict is an excellent person. Sherlock is one hell of a show, with him and Martin Freeman seeming like the definitive versions of their characters. Sorry, Lucy Liu :(

Can't wait to see what he brings to the table. It seems like we'll get something in the vein of Ledger's Joker, or Alpha in Dollhouse's best episode (A Love Supreme).

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

@Matchstick: He seriously cannot juggle both Star Wars and Star Trek.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Matchstick

@Chibi-Iroh said:

@Matchstick: He seriously cannot juggle both Star Wars and Star Trek.

Sure he can. There is absolutely no reason he couldn't directors juggle multiple films all the time.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For the upteenth time people, Cumberpatch is playing Gary Mitchell...even Karl Urban confirmed this in an interview not too long ago! "John Harrison" is simply disinformation at this point. Of course, with how Cumberpatch talks here it does sound like Khan, but that would be quite impossible for this story. And Abrams is going to do BOTH SW and ST.

hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hunter5024

Benedict Cumberbatch: The World's Most British Name

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JamDamage

@Matchstick: concur

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JamDamage

@RedheadedAtrocitus: It's not impossible for it to be Khan. All they need is the name Khan and it's him. In fact, if the name they are listing him as, is not the name of the actual character then who else but Khan could it be.

RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JamDamage: I'm more than willing to bet the farm that it is Gary Mitchell. If it is Khan it will be the most surprising thing ever in film history I say. Not saying it couldn't be but just what we have seen in the trailers and teasers and all that makes me look at the similarities between "John Harrison" and Gary Mitchell.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Matchstick

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

@JamDamage: I'm more than willing to bet the farm that it is Gary Mitchell. If it is Khan it will be the most surprising thing ever in film history I say. Not saying it couldn't be but just what we have seen in the trailers and teasers and all that makes me look at the similarities between "John Harrison" and Gary Mitchell.

C'mon man, it wouldn't even be close to the most surprising thing in film history. Judging by the enchanced abilities he displays in the trailer I'm guessing it's either Khan, or one of the other guys from the Eugenics Wars that was in suspended animation with him.

I'm curious why you think it's Mitchell. Most people I've talked to site the blonde that appears in the trailer, but if you look closely during the first film she's actually an existin member of the Enterprise's bridge crew.

Avatar image for yourcounterpoint
    YourCounterpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By YourCounterpoint

Abrams. You have the once in a life time chance to be master of 2 of the worlds most famous SF series. We all have faith in you. Now tell us who the hell Cumberbatch is playing. Is it Sherlock? I bet it's sherlock.

RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Matchstick: Well let me put it this way...one of the original indications of the Mitchell idea may have been Alice Eve playing a character that bore a very, VERY close resemblance to Dr. Elizabeth Dehner, but we now know that her character is instead Carol Marcus that we remember from the Wrath of Khan movie. So obviously then Alice Eve's character can't be the indication. Truth is I'm just thinking it is now because in some of the shots where we see Cumberpatch bringing forth destruction it seems that he is wielding psionic abilities, which was very indicative of what Gary Mitchell attained during the TOS episode Where No Man Has Gone Before. Again, might just be misinterpreted from my point of view but it just seems that from this we are going to see Mitchell as our main bad guy...though I would be intrigued if "John Harrison" turned out to be one of the other Augments from the 20th century too...

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GodOfMischief

He's not a new character, he's someone within the canon. I don't think it's Khan, as this character is or was in Starfleet.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.