Follow

Spider-Woman

Character » Spider-Woman appears in 2395 issues.

Spider-Woman is an Avenger and spy who got her powers from an experiment gone wrong. She has been an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.W.O.R.D., as well as a Private Investigator. Jessica was a crucial character in Marvel's Secret Invasion comic book event.

Spider-Woman Trailer Debuts

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Spider-Woman is a bit of a complex character.  It also seems people either like her or don't.  The same can be said about the Motion Comics.  I understand as much as anyone that having a hard physical comic is a tradition that would be hard to give up.  But I do like the idea of motion comics.  I'm not advocating for the medium to switch over (although with the rising cost of paper, it could be a cheaper solution).  I see motion comics as another way to enjoy something we all love.  It's basically an enhanced version of a comic book.  What I like about them is you can often see the time and effort that is put into the production of them.

For example, check out this trailer for the Spider-Woman Motion Comic.  If I remember correctly, it will be available in printed form eventually.  The only way to see it for now will be in motion form.  It's by Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev.  The first episode is set to premiere at San Diego Comic-Con.  

What do you think?  Do you like Spider-Woman?  Does this trailer look good to you?  Would you be willing to give it a try?
    the guv'nor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By the guv'nor

looks impressive but i really hope it doesnt totally catch on because you cant beat the physical feeling of the comic in your hand and it looks better in a collection.also i cant see how it would be all that much cheaper to produce,what with having to have a voice cast as well as an artist,writer etc.lets hope its just a sideline.

PrimeDirective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PrimeDirective

Agent of SWORD?!? Is Spider-Woman gonna be fighting aliens like Skrulls and such? Can you say irony?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @the guv'nor said:
    " looks impressive but i really hope it doesnt totally catch on because you cant beat the physical feeling of the comic in your hand and it looks better in a collection.also i cant see how it would be all that much cheaper to produce,what with having to have a voice cast as well as an artist,writer etc.lets hope its just a sideline. "
    When Warners released the Batman: Black & White Motion Comics, each episode was only 99 cents.  Each episode consisted of two stories from the Black & White series.  It's all about finding that middle ground.  The digital comics would be available to a wider audience and there's no hard stock of inventory to keep on hand.  There's no cost of printing, shipping, etc the comics.  They also don't have to cut the price for retailers to stock it and sell.  I'm not sure how many downloads they'd need to start making a profit but I'm sure people will be checking this out.  We'll have to see what the cost per episode/issue is on this.  If it's less than $3.99, you have to admit it'd be tempting.
    the guv'nor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By the guv'nor

true ,i didnt think  about the cost of print and shipping.i should think by now though they have a pretty good deal on the printing side of things but i imagine the cost of storage has got to be pretty high by now !
    i just hope it doesnt take over completely,i am just old skool,like when i went to my parents the other day and rooted through the garage ,just finding all the old comics,just a godo feeling.
    plus you will miss holding up a copy when you do a review i am sure :)

badog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By badog

WOW, thats looks well good, i love her accent lol, do u think agent brand will be in it because of S.W.O.R.D

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck

I don't want to see digital comics take over the printed medium.  I think there's too many of us 'traditionalists' around to let it go completely.  I just like these to enhance our reading once in a while.  Digital does have its advantages.  Easier to store. Easier to find.  I don't know about you guys but my storing/cataloging systems blows.  I read a comic, it goes in a pile/box.  If I have to find a particular issue, sometimes I get lucky, other times I give up or just buy the trade.  If you had them on your computer/iPod, you'd be able to find whatever issue you wanted in no time.  

@badog said:

" WOW, thats looks well good, i love her accent lol, do u think agent brand will be in it because of S.W.O.R.D "
    I would imagine and hope she would be.  There's so much about her we still don't know. 
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

I like Spider-Woman, and have done ever since I was a little girl trying to draw her after watching the cartoon.  If they did an actual modern day cartoon that looked like that trailer, I think a lot more people would like the character too... The trailer reminded me of the Maxx cartoon.  Anyway... why does she sound like Alex Kingston??

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tyler Starke

Wow that looked really cool. I enjoyed it, but why did they pick Spider-Woman to promote the digital comics, I didn't think she was that popular of a character. I don't hate her I just don't find her all that interesting.

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Adam Michaels

I'm actually a supporter of Motion Comics. In no way would I want it to be how comics will be only, but I really enjoy watching the new mix of comic art with animation and voice-overs. I watched the first episode of Astonishing X-Men on the net the other day. It was the first part of the story arc "Gifted". Already having that comic and watching it come to life is one fun experience.

I'm all for comic companies transforming their comics into motion comics. I just wouldn't want this new oppurtunity for the comic industry to expand their avenues be the end of the actual books.

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WonderBoy1132

I like spider women alot, I always have... and honestly I was one of those who did not support the motion comics movement but after seeing this trailer it looks kick-ass!

Beatrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Beatrix

I'm actually loving this idea. It reminds me of a game that's available on iPod/iPhone called 11:12. The same sort of movement art form. It's a thing I am definitely likely to pick-up – or look at; how exactly will it be available?

I think that motion comics are a nice step forward, but I'm sure they will never replace printed comics. They are different. I look forward to seeing how Marvel will keep the two running simultaneously without side-lining on or the other: how will the stories run canonically otherwise?

They are definitely also a step above cartoons – which other than Marjane Satrapi's phenomenal Persepolis – tend to fail quite heavily. They tend to be too oversimplified to make them accessible and fluid and never relate in any way to the canon. I think motion comics here have a distinct advantage: they can maintain their artistic integrity – they have Alex Maleev! – and I'm sure there is a way – providing they are not televised – that they can relate to or form the canon. 

Also: please, please, please can they not be too child friendly. I mean I'm all for letting children read comics and such but honestly publishers are making them TOO accessible. I hate when they patronisingly dumb-down storylines and visuals for the sake of a larger demographic. I live in fear of the marvel "A" age rating. I digress.

So basically I approve of Motion comics if they can be part of the canon and if they maintain artistic and literary integrity. I am trying to say this without sounding entirely pompous – it's hard work. Again I wonder how Marvel will make them available and how much they will cost. It's looking great though!
    Omg chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Omg chris

im loving the art the moton comic display looks really rad

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrinceIMC

I love Spider-Woman, she's badass. I like the ideas of motion comics as an option but I doubt they're going to make them really cheap because they know they can charge more. I imagine it'll just be 50 cents cheaper than the printed version just because they can.

I always wondered if Spider-Woman had an accent or not. I guess this answers that.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Nahero

it was cool how it had a creepy vide and how batman like it was at the same time i liked it very much

but i never saw spider-woman as a dark character at all

PrimeDirective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PrimeDirective
    @Nahero: Well... She IS a trained assassin...
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By CellphoneGirl

omg i can't wait for it ^_^

Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, it's impressive, it reminds me of that kinetic writing stuff, or that Marvel Super-Heroes show of the sixties, but I can't see this as a full replacement for actual comics being produced and distributed periodically, like a monthly title. Maybe for certain series especially made for this format, but not replacing comics on the whole.

Something more appropriate to replace printed paper comics in the comic industry would be something like a pdf file or a Kindle, or a pdf or pdf-like file ON a Kindle like reading device, like maybe a standard device for reading comics. Some sort of optical reader that could handle showing all the artwork as well as special things, like special covers and three-page and four-page fold-out vistas and large poster art, that printed matter can handle so well.

Marvel had many of its earlier titles issues scanned to CD-ROM or DVD-ROM a while back and available in boxed sets, like The Fantastic Four. Maybe something like this on one-issue disks, or in a file format for download, or something you can download at comic stores at point-of-purchase or at an in-store kiosk. But, otherwise, paper still has it going on. A flexible hi-res HD reader, though, would be very nice and very cool. A Comic-Pad... E-Comic... e-Com... a Stan... a Bruce... a Tony... a Com-Pad... get the idea?

I like Spider-Woman, and always have. Except for the costume, she basically bears no real or notable resemblance to Peter P., and her back story as an operative is intriguing. Her and SHIELD seem to be a good fit. HYDRA, remember. Her first print series was awesome. I'm all for her having a new one. I would guess/hope she still flies/glides in this version.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @G-Man said:
    "@the guv'nor said:
    " looks impressive but i really hope it doesnt totally catch on because you cant beat the physical feeling of the comic in your hand and it looks better in a collection.also i cant see how it would be all that much cheaper to produce,what with having to have a voice cast as well as an artist,writer etc.lets hope its just a sideline. "
    When Warners released the Batman: Black & White Motion Comics, each episode was only 99 cents.  Each episode consisted of two stories from the Black & White series.  It's all about finding that middle ground.  The digital comics would be available to a wider audience and there's no hard stock of inventory to keep on hand.  There's no cost of printing, shipping, etc the comics.  They also don't have to cut the price for retailers to stock it and sell.  I'm not sure how many downloads they'd need to start making a profit but I'm sure people will be checking this out.  We'll have to see what the cost per episode/issue is on this.  If it's less than $3.99, you have to admit it'd be tempting. "

G-Man how were those Batman: Black and White episodes ? Were they worth getting, and if so are they still available?
    gerald2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gerald2

The idea of motion comics is not a bad one.

Spider Woman is not high on my list of priorities.

Gerald is pensive.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By goldenkey

it looks great.  Maleev work is gritty and I like it, but Im not a fan of Spider-woman.  spiders don't fly.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By goldenkey
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "I like Spider-Woman, and have done ever since I was a little girl trying to draw her after watching the cartoon.  If they did an actual modern day cartoon that looked like that trailer, I think a lot more people would like the character too... The trailer reminded me of the Maxx cartoon.  Anyway... why does she sound like Alex Kingston?? "
    It was like the Maxx wasn't it?  I just don't see spider-woman being a good enough character to use to try and sell the idea a motion comic.  She works in teams but on her own?   Weak.
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By MrDirector786

Looks pretty cool to me.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Bruce Vain said:
    " @G-Man said:
    "@the guv'nor said:
    When Warners released the Batman: Black & White Motion Comics, each episode was only 99 cents.  Each episode consisted of two stories from the Black & White series.  It's all about finding that middle ground.  The digital comics would be available to a wider audience and there's no hard stock of inventory to keep on hand.  There's no cost of printing, shipping, etc the comics.  They also don't have to cut the price for retailers to stock it and sell.  I'm not sure how many downloads they'd need to start making a profit but I'm sure people will be checking this out.  We'll have to see what the cost per episode/issue is on this.  If it's less than $3.99, you have to admit it'd be tempting. "
    G-Man how were those Batman: Black and White episodes ? Were they worth getting, and if so are they still available? "
    The Batman motion comics are available on iTunes.  I think you can just search "Batman Black And White Motion Comics" and you'll get there.  It's like 5 bucks for the five "episodes."  I reviewed them HERE (a video review so you can see it in action as well).  I liked the Batman motion comics better than the Watchmen one (which I did a written review HERE).  Watchmen only had one narrator which was a tiny bit weird when Silk Spectre talked.  Batman had, I believe, voice actors.  Watchmen is also available on iTunes and DVD.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Decept-O

I don't mind Spider-Woman as a character but I agree with goldenkey; spiders don't fly.  I never understood why she was given that ability and it detracts from me liking her. 

Regardless I just don't know about the whole motion comics thing.  I can't say I'm a fan but I won't dis it either, maybe it's one of those things that would have to really catch on by a lot of people for it to be a viable medium. 

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By shanana

Ha. I know a certain somebody that will be happy to hear this.

Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Decept-O: Technically, isn't she REALLY supposed to be gliding, as in wingsuit-style, as in when spiders fly around on their webbing in the wind, as Spider-Man has done numerous times, too, by webbing together a glider or parachute. Her costume is a wingsuit design, already.

Google "flying spiders", and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, ya, I see the new one can fly, too. So be it!! It's The Marvel Universe!! Humans can't stick to walls, either... Or can they... LOL 8D
    Samuraikenpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Samuraikenpo

i think it looks pretty good so she is fighting space creatures thats is what S.W.O.R.D. does right

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By pixelized

Where is Jessica Supposed to be from??

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Media_Master

That was AWESOME!!!!

X711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By X711

Looks AWESOME!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By danhimself

looks good, as long as it's not as bad as the Watchmen motion comics then I'll check it out

any idea how much it's gonna run?

Avatar image for jamiemadrox_is_twiztid
    JamieMadrox-Is-TwiZtiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very Interesting, It has a very dark noir feel to it, watching the 1 minute trailer feels very much like playing a videogame much like Max Payne. This could be very entertaining. with BMB at the helm I feel like it's in good hands, I just kinda wish there was more than just a minute.

E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

I didn't know spider-woman had an accent.... y'think ya know a person.

Avatar image for moonknightfan123
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MoonKnightFan123

ooh explody and flashy and fast
    but I never really knew who Spider-Woman is...

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dondasch

I don't mind the medium of motion comics at all, though I don't think they should ever replace the tactile feel of holding a comic in your hand and having that old school sense of joy. 

Spiderwoman is an interesting character I think.  She has a dark feel to her and the motion comic seemed to enhance that.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @G-Man said:
    "@Bruce Vain said:
    " @G-Man said:
    "@the guv'nor said:
    G-Man how were those Batman: Black and White episodes ? Were they worth getting, and if so are they still available? "
    The Batman motion comics are available on iTunes.  I think you can just search "Batman Black And White Motion Comics" and you'll get there.  It's like 5 bucks for the five "episodes."  I reviewed them HERE (a video review so you can see it in action as well).  I liked the Batman motion comics better than the Watchmen one (which I did a written review HERE).  Watchmen only had one narrator which was a tiny bit weird when Silk Spectre talked.  Batman had, I believe, voice actors.  Watchmen is also available on iTunes and DVD. "

I have to agree with you on the Watchmen narration. I was bit thrown off when a guy was doing Silk's voice as well. Wasn't a bad motion comic the narration with Rorschach were nice. I do  like that Batman Black And White from your video review. I did a search  on youtube for it and they only had a preview of it . Was hoping they had the full episodes cause 5 bucks seems a bit pricey for only 45 mintues. But it certainly looks alot better then the Watchmen one though.

I would like to see DC do a motion comic movie of Kingdom Come, but combine it with the audio tape that they did years ago.

Thanks for the link on your reviews.

Avatar image for jamiemadrox_is_twiztid
    JamieMadrox-Is-TwiZtiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer looks very cool, and with BMB behind it I feel confident that this will make a splash on Marvel's website. Watching this makes me feel like I'm watching a Dark Noir, very similar to say the cut scenes from say Max Payne videogames (and not that Gawd Awful movie) I can't wait until there's more!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.