Spider-Man #1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Miles Morales is with everyone else in the main Marvel universe! He takes on Blackheart and also tries to find a way to juggle his personal and superhero lives.

Spider-Man works because this opening issue is much more of an introduction to who Miles Morales is rather than the mask he hides behind. For many readers, Miles Morales is unfamiliar territory, so having this issue focus primarily around Miles day-to-day life gives more insight into what makes Miles tick.

This is something that hearkens back to classic Spider-Man stories back during the Bronze Age of comics. How does one juggle a social life, school, love, and being a superhero? Brian Michael Bendis adds all of this to the opening story to really reel in new readers, who, again, might be a tad put off by someone else being Spider-Man.

Overall, this issue packs an emotional punch. We're seeing a character trying his best but it's simply not enough to make everything work. It's tough to watch someone you're rooting for just not live up to his full expectation and it's not because he isn't trying. It's because there simply isn't enough time.

The downside lies in the fact that there's a lot of over-familiarity with the story and overall work presented in this issue. It feels like a Bendis story we've seen quite a few times, which isn't a bad thing for new readers, but to those who have been Ultimate Spider-Man fans for quite some time, this issue does feel like it's treading the same old ground, in a different universe.

Sara Pichelli and Justin Ponsor deliver some fantastic art in this opening issue. The Blackheart design is incredibly creepy and they gave the character a really nice, contemporary feel. When I say "nice," I mean "terrifying."

Pichelli and Ponsor also have some more fun moments, like when Morales is imagining how his life could have gone differently. We get a more animated, over-exaggerated style which adds a nice element of fun to it. The action sequences look great, as Pichelli does some interesting and awesome things with page and panel layouts as well. Artistically, this book is a home run.

The issue does leave readers at an interesting point as Miles and Peter Parker are face-to-face, and every part of me can't help but wonder "when are we going to wrap-up this Miles Morales of the 616" that was set up in the Spider-Men story a few years back?

Spider-Man #1 is a really solid start to a new series, which plays a bit better to brand new readers rather than Miles Morales fans who have been around since the start. This feels a lot more like an introductory issue to the character since this issue does retread a lot of what the previous two Miles Morales volumes set up. However, the art on this issue is wonderful and worth the price of admission alone. Hopefully, the future issues will give fans, both new and old, a little something more to chew on because there's a lot of potential for a great series here.

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought Spider-Man #1 was a fantastic issue. I'm sincerely excited to see what Brian Michael Bendis has in store for Miles Morales. If I had to pick only one survivor from the Ultimate Universe, it would've been Miles no doubt-- but thankfully we have Ganke, and apparently Bombshell too, which is way to awesome.

I wasn't feeling the art all too much, but that's because I prefer David Marquez to draw Miles Morales. Pichelli is still great, don't get me wrong.

Curious to know how big of an impact Peter Parker will make on Miles' life now that they're in the same universe together.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Spider-Man 1 was a strong start to the series.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By mrkareemruiz

Great book, great art.

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm adding this to my pull list.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By oldwasher

Just picked up this issue earlier today. Can't wait to read it

update: I loved this issue. especially the puns he was making towards blackheart and how his super heroics brought him into situations similar to classic Spiderman

oh and lets not forget when he picked up captain America's shield

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dig this book. Beautiful art and great writing

KingStandup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

From what I've seen so far, the art looks great. I will be checking this out for sure. In fact, I'm probably going grab a copy after work.

Skyhawk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skyhawk1

My favorite series.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good Book. But id like to see Miles grow and use a different title so that he can make his own legacy rather than continue the one Peter established.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Haven't read the issue yet, but I see Shocker is portrayed as someone who uses electric attacks... That bothers me a lot more than it should.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

How on earth did he win that fight with little to no effort? Seriously, Spider-Man shouldn't be able to win against Blackheart even on his best day.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 inferiorego  Staff

How on earth did he win that fight with little to no effort? Seriously, Spider-Man shouldn't be able to win against Blackheart even on his best day.

The venom sting is an insanely powerful move. He's taken down some huge baddies with it.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blackheart?

Really?

Beata

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

The venom sting is an insanely powerful move. He's taken down some huge baddies with it.

Yeah but Blackheart? The son of Mephisto? That's insane. If it can take down someone like that then there pretty much isn't a villain he will come in contact with that won't be one-shotted by it.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Very excited to read this.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

Yeah but Blackheart? The son of Mephisto? That's insane. If it can take down someone like that then there pretty much isn't a villain he will come in contact with that won't be one-shotted by it.

It doesn't always work that well on villains. It doesn't affect some villains at all and for others, instant KO.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrkareemruiz: Both Spider-Men at the same time shouldn't be able to beat Blackheart.

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @inferiorego said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

It doesn't always work that well on villains. It doesn't affect some villains at all and for others, instant KO.

It makes no sense that it would even affect Blackheart who is essentially a god.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inferiorego  Staff

@mrkareemruiz: Both Spider-Men at the same time shouldn't be able to beat Blackheart.

@inferiorego said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @inferiorego said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

It makes no sense that it would even affect Blackheart who is essentially a god.

It's a new Marvel Universe and for all we know, that could be just a guy claiming to be Blackheart. Too soon to tell.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

@inferiorego said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @inferiorego said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

It's a new Marvel Universe and for all we know, that could be just a guy claiming to be Blackheart. Too soon to tell.

It's not that new in that it changes the backstory of characters and even if it is he was able to take out an entire team of Avengers that included Thor and She-Hulk. I just can't enjoy a character who can pull out one shots when the writer randomly decides to.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mrkareemruiz

@jonny_anonymous: Miles vemon blast can hurt Blackheart .Every Spider person POWER LEVEL is not the same.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 owie  Moderator

I thought this was a solid entry into Miles' new series. Sara Pichelli's art was good, although to be honest I preferred the style she used when she first drew him in the original volume. I can understand why she'd want to move on to new things, but the original was what made me a fan of hers.

I'm not sure how I feel about Miles' mom and dad's place in the story. They basically seem to be back the way they were at the beginning of his first volume--she's alive, and his dad seemingly doesn't know his identity. I feel like this is going backwards unnecessarily. Granted, he's switched universes, but still, it's too bad that it's like going back in time for him. So I'm a little wary about that.

Still, the Miles and Ganke relationship is one of the most fun in comics, so I'm glad to have that back.

@k4tzm4n said:

Haven't read the issue yet, but I see Shocker is portrayed as someone who uses electric attacks... That bothers me a lot more than it should.

And it was described as coming out of his head! (Although not exactly portrayed that way in the illustration.)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Miles vemon blast can hurt Blackheart .Every Spider person POWER LEVEL is not the same.

Yes and they shouldn't. Again like I said, both Spider-Men together shouldn't be able to touch him. He is a god.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By amazingfantasy

@jonny_anonymous: I don't know how strong Blackheart is tbh. But in case you didn't know, Bendis has a history of wanking characters he likes, Miles being one of them. I mean, just look at what happened at this issue, I don't even have to explain.

I'm assuming you don't have many knowlege on Miles so:

- No, Miles isn't even close to being more powerful than Peter.

- The venom blast Isn't that powerful either. It failed to take down Mysterio (y'know, a normal human that isn't even athletic or anything) after he took a beating, didn't take down Ult. Peter, at 'full power' it didn't take down Ult. Jessica Drew (Both her and Ult. Peter just have Spider-Man lvl of durability, duh :p), didn't take down Miles' uncle (Another normal human), etc. So we already have a measuring of how powerful it is. It's usually the finishing move that Miles use on a enemy after he has beaten the crap out of them (just like in this issue), so some people get the impression that it's OP. But in reality, it's not very powerful at all.

Still, Miles normal blows were hurting Blackheart, so I guess Bendis is just screwing powerlvls there. The real question is if he's that weak, then how the hell was he able to take down all these Avengers? lol

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite my problem with dat wanking, this was a pretty great issue. Much better than the #1 from the previous volume!
    Also, for a single Bendis issue, a lot happened, and I loved it. Can't wait for the next one!

(God, how I missed Miles' solo comics. LOL)

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mrkareemruiz
    Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@mrkareemruiz said:

Yes and they shouldn't. Again like I said, both Spider-Men together shouldn't be able to touch him. He is a god.

Perhaps Mile's venom blast is effective against demons. Think of it like the elements: fire beats grass, grass beats water, and water beats fire. It may be that Miles is well armed for dealing with things like Blackheart. Or maybe Blackheart just overreacted since he didn't expect to be hurt and fled to make sure he wasn't fighting something until he knew more about it. Either way, Blackheart may be more prepared the next time he comes around. But come on, Miles going up against the son of the devil with Captain America's shield - this is what comic books should be all about! XD

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: didnt black panther one shot black heart back in priest run? Unless I'm missing some serious feats, I don't see a problem with that fight. It's normal to me.

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShadowLife248

Sara Pichelli art is still beautiful, but for some reason she changed her style a little bit, her face seems weird and very different from her previous style.

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rixec said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:
    @mrkareemruiz said:

Perhaps Mile's venom blast is effective against demons. Think of it like the elements: fire beats grass, grass beats water, and water beats fire. It may be that Miles is well armed for dealing with things like Blackheart. Or maybe Blackheart just overreacted since he didn't expect to be hurt and fled to make sure he wasn't fighting something until he knew more about it. Either way, Blackheart may be more prepared the next time he comes around. But come on, Miles going up against the son of the devil with Captain America's shield - this is what comic books should be all about! XD

Hey guys, it's a comic book. Writers have been moving the goal posts as they see fit for every character for decades. Sometimes Hulk is the strongest thing ever, sometimes he's not. Don't worry too much about it and just enjoy the comic.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sara Pichelli art is still beautiful, but for some reason she changed her style a little bit, her face seems weird and very different from her previous style.

It's what I thought as well! It's beautiful but it seems a little off/weird sometimes. Maybe she's just trying something new, but...

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowlife248 said:

It's what I thought as well! It's beautiful but it seems a little off/weird sometimes. Maybe she's just trying something new, but...

I think she had someone else ink her work

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grenadeflow: Did she? I know manga artist has assistant learning to mirror their art so they can fill in sometimes or during emergency but I don't know about Western comics.

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy: So the face is more blocky and less natural kinda? Hopefully she goes back to normal the coming issues.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was alright.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
    deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I don't know how strong Blackheart is tbh. But in case you didn't know, Bendis has a history of wanking characters he likes, Miles being one of them. I mean, just look at what happened at this issue, I don't even have to explain.

I'm assuming you don't have many knowlege on Miles so:

- No, Miles isn't even close to being more powerful than Peter.

- The venom blast Isn't that powerful either. It failed to take down Mysterio (y'know, a normal human that isn't even athletic or anything) after he took a beating, didn't take down Ult. Peter, at 'full power' it didn't take down Ult. Jessica Drew (Both her and Ult. Peter just have Spider-Man lvl of durability, duh :p), didn't take down Miles' uncle (Another normal human), etc. So we already have a measuring of how powerful it is. It's usually the finishing move that Miles use on a enemy after he has beaten the crap out of them (just like in this issue), so some people get the impression that it's OP. But in reality, it's not very powerful at all.

Still, Miles normal blows were hurting Blackheart, so I guess Bendis is just screwing powerlvls there. The real question is if he's that weak, then how the hell was he able to take down all these Avengers? lol

It DID take out 616 Peter during Spider-Men though

OptimucCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is Mile's mom alive? It seems like his dad knows who he is, which I'm glad they didn't remove, but I'm not sure how she is back from the dead.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.