Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Will Nick Spencer be taking over Amazing Spider-Man?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Apparently there are rumors that he is.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/06/latest-marvel-legacy-rumour-begin-reveal-shape-marvel-2018/

Marvel Legacy rumours continue to eke out ahead of San Diego Comic-Con and with them comes the shape of the beast. Like blind men surrounding the elephant, it’s taking time but we’re getting vthere after a few false starts. This is what I think I’m seeing. A few previous rumours, with updates after discussions had. Remember, these are rumours. Sourced from good people, but rumours nevertheless and also subject to all sorts of changes.

Marvel Legacy will see many titles revert to the classic numbering and start new storylines with those issues. There will be lots of fuss around the storylines and the creators but they are paving the way for what is to come in 2018. That is when you will see a lot of those Legacy issues hit the big anniversary issues, and that is when you might see bigger changes to the books.

So Captain Americawill have the Chris Samnee/Mark Waid run from #694, but then followed by Ta-Nehisi Coates from #700 or #701.

Dan Slott will write The Fall Of Parker up to Amazing Spider-Man #800 and then Nick Spencer will write the series from #801 onwards.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/05/nick-spencer-now-rumoured-write-amazing-spider-man-really/

Recently, we heard from a pretty good source that Nick Spencer was going to be writing a Spider-Man ongoing series to follow the conclusion of Secret Empire. I speculated that Spencer may take over Spectacular Spider-Man. Or start a new title, with the recently trademarked Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man. But said source who has proved pretty reliable over the years insisted that, no, Spencer is on Amazing Spider-Man.

Remember, these for now are just rumors, but if they are true, even after some of the controversy surrounding Nick Spencer's current writings, I will be happy to have a change in writers. Unlike most on this site, I don't think Dan Slott is the worst thing to ever happen to Spider-Man but I do think he's been on the book for so long that his writing is starting to get a bit stale and his ideas not as great as they once were. The way Superior Spider-Man ended and led up to the birth of Parker Industries I think was good but I do think it's time to hand the series off to someone else.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I Honestly Do Hope So. I Mean, While Nick Is A Political Extremist In His Captain America Series And Secret Empire, He Is Actually A Brilliant Writer With His Works On Ant Man, Superior Foes Of Spider-Man, His First Series On Captain America, And His Morning Glories Series As Well As The Fix. Also, From What Little I've Actually Read On His Superior Foes Of Spider-Man Series, He Does Seem To Have A Great Grasp On The Spider-Man Lore And The Mythos. He Also Seems To Have Written A Pretty Good Kraven In His First Captain America Series. So, Hopefully He'd Be Able To Write A Pretty Great Series If He Tones Down On The Whole Political Stuff. I Also Hope He Writes Peter As A More Mature, Responsible, Intelligent, And Competent Person Rather Than An Incompetent Manchild And An Incredible Loser In Life. Really Hope He Does The Former Rather Than The Latter. We'll Just Have To Wait And See If He Really Does Get Announced.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Honestly Do Hope So. I Mean, While Nick Is A Political Extremist In His Captain America Series And Secret Empire, He Is Actually A Brilliant Writer With His Works On Ant Man, Superior Foes Of Spider-Man, His First Series On Captain America, And His Morning Glories Series As Well As The Fix. Also, From What Little I've Actually Read On His Superior Foes Of Spider-Man Series, He Does Seem To Have A Great Grasp On The Spider-Man Lore And The Mythos. He Also Seems To Have Written A Pretty Good Kraven In His First Captain America Series. So, Hopefully He'd Be Able To Write A Pretty Great Series If He Tones Down On The Whole Political Stuff. I Also Hope He Writes Peter As A More Mature, Responsible, Intelligent, And Competent Person Rather Than An Incompetent Manchild And An Incredible Loser In Life. Really Hope He Does The Former Rather Than The Latter. We'll Just Have To Wait And See If He Really Does Get Announced.

Thankfully, I don't see a Spider-Man book getting too political, even if Parker Industries sticks around (which I wouldn't mind if it is, as there is plenty of potential for Peter running his own business).

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
    @marvelman92 said:

Thankfully, I don't see a Spider-Man book getting too political, even if Parker Industries sticks around (which I wouldn't mind if it is, as there is plenty of potential for Peter running his own business).

Trust Me. I Honestly Don't See Parker Industries Sticking Around For Too Long. I Mean, There Were Loads Of Problems There In Peter's Time.

Also, I May Not See Some Political Stuff Being Involved In Nick Spencer's Spider-Man Series. But, I Do See Some Drama In Even If The Other Stuff Had Some Humor In It.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
    @marvelman92 said:

Trust Me. I Honestly Don't See Parker Industries Sticking Around For Too Long. I Mean, There Were Loads Of Problems There In Peter's Time.

Also, I May Not See Some Political Stuff Being Involved In Nick Spencer's Spider-Man Series. But, I Do See Some Drama In Even If The Other Stuff Had Some Humor In It.

I don't mind drama, it just has to be natural to the story. In fact one of my biggest fears is just Marvel just deciding to turn Spider-Man into a completely comical character like Deadpool because the company thinks he's not to be taken seriously like their other heroes or that him acting like a grown-up will somehow make him unrelatable (okay, I lied, my biggest fear is Marvel somehow making the main universe Peter into a teenager again and shoving him back in high school).

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
    @marvelman92 said:
    @aros001 said:
    @marvelman92 said:

I don't mind drama, it just has to be natural to the story. In fact one of my biggest fears is just Marvel just deciding to turn Spider-Man into a completely comical character like Deadpool because the company thinks he's not to be taken seriously like their other heroes or that him acting like a grown-up will somehow make him unrelatable (okay, I lied, my biggest fear is Marvel somehow making the main universe Peter into a teenager again and shoving him back in high school).

Well, Hopefully They Actually Don't Turn The Guy Into Some Joke This Time......Hopefully......

Avatar image for parker_industries
    Parker_Industries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this turned out to be true,hopefully Spencer doesn't shove his political shit in ASM.

TakethatBeeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TakethatBeeys

Yeah but Marvel's Comedy > Marvel's Fake Drama.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this turned out to be true,hopefully Spencer doesn't shove his political shit in ASM.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

If the rumours are true, he needs to keep his uber politics out of ASM.

Spencer is also a far better writer than Slott, able to structure consistency into his plots and have some character development without the stupid and cheesy fake comedy.

Hoping Spencer is able to elevate the standard of ASM up from the wacky, absurd and nonsensical to a higher calibre of mature and dramatic storytelling.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always enjoy Spencer writing. Slott's been good imo, but he could have been better.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aros001

@rabumalal said:

I always enjoy Spencer writing. Slott's been good imo, but he could have been better.

Well, that's just it. I've never thought Slott was an outright bad writer but I do think that, despite his claims, he is getting burnt out on writing Spider-Man after so many years.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the only way to enjoy Slott these days is ironically.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
    @rabumalal said:

Well, that's just it. I've never thought Slott was an outright bad writer but I do think that, despite his claims, he is getting burnt out on writing Spider-Man after so many years.

Indeed. Slott Was Able To Tell Some Good Stories Before While Having Some Contrived Ones Like Alpha, No Turning Back, And Dying Wish As Well As Some Parts Of Superior. But, After Superior, He's Been Pretty Worn Out On Having Some Ways To Tell A Good Spider-Man Stories. Despite The Guy's Trollish Behaviours, I Honestly Don't Think He Has Any Other Ideas To Write A Good Spider-Man Story At This Point.

I Think Nick Spencer Has Some Way To Tell Some Great Stories But Hopefully Ones Where He Doesn't Bring His Political Agendas Into The Series. Really Hope He Brings In Some Humor To The Series Like He Has Done With His Superior Foes Of Spider-Man, Ant Man, And The Fix But With Some Drama Elements To It. Nick Spencer Is A Very Smart Writer. He Just Has To Keep His Political Drama Off Of The Works He's Actually Doing. That Way He Could Tell Some Well Thought-out And Well Structured Stories On The Character And His Entire Mythos. Hopefully The Guy Will Actually Do All Of That. We'll Just Have To Wait And See.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RabumAlal

@parker_industries: @magnetic_eye: @marvelman92: What's wrong with politics? Political stories were right for Sam who was a black Cap. Spencer did solid work for Cap and politics didn't seem out of place. Most of everyday life involves politics, why is it wrong for that to be in stories, especially stories of a man who goes by the same name as a whole country?

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@parker_industries: @magnetic_eye: @marvelman92: What's wrong with politics? Political stories were right for Sam who was a black Cap. Spencer did solid work for Cap and politics didn't seem out of place. Most of everyday life involves politics, why is it wrong for that to be in stories, especially stories of a man who goes by the same name as a whole country?

The Problem Here Is That Nick Spencer Uses FORCED Politics In His Works Like White Cops Being Eeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllll. Republicans Being Fully Evil As Well With The Red Skull's Speech. The Whole SJW Villainous Team. The Diverse Character Filling In For The Falcon And Just Using Some Nonsense Story On It. The Whole Twitter Joke Coming From Captain America. Etc. Look, There's Actually Nothing Wrong With Putting In Some Political Related Stories Nor Is There Anything Wrong With Having Politics Involved. I Mean, Like You Said, We've Been Having Stories Revolving Around Politics For Years. But, It's How You Do The Whole Politics Thing. You See, If You Put Some Stories Revolving Around Politics, Then That's Actually Fine. But, If You Actually Over Do It Non Stop With Some Much Constant Rants Coming From People Making Them Feel Either Annoying Or Unlikable, Having Characters Sprout Out Some Nonsense Which Makes Them Feel Really Out Of Character. Portraying Some Characters Who Are Mostly Straight White Males As The Villains While Most People Who Aren't Try To Punish Them Immensely. The Thing Is, You Can Write And Put In Some Political Related Stuff. But, When You Overdo It By Making Everything Feel More Annoying And Uncomfortable With The Constant Rants From People AND Our Heroes And Other Characters That we've Actually Liked Over The Years, Then It Really Becomes More Hard To Read. So, While A Writer Like Nick Spencer Might Get Some Political Related Things In Some Arc, I Just Hope He Doesn't Really Overdo It To The Point Where His Material Becomes Unreadable.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@magnetic_eye said:
    @parker_industries said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

If the rumours are true, he needs to keep his uber politics out of ASM.

Spencer is also a far better writer than Slott, able to structure consistency into his plots and have some character development without the stupid and cheesy fake comedy.

Hoping Spencer is able to elevate the standard of ASM up from the wacky, absurd and nonsensical to a higher calibre of mature and dramatic storytelling.

I'm hoping for that as well. While Spencer is a uber political buffoon, he is an upgrade from Slott.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the problem that sometimes writers will force their own views on politics into their stories even if it doesn't fit the character. Take Green Arrow for example. He's been know as a very left-leaning superhero for a very long time, so even if you don't necessarily agree with what he says, it doesn't bother you a lot because you know being very liberal is part of his character and not something the writer is saying you have to agree with. But if someone like say Batman were to start saying the say kind of rants about fatcats and such, you'd naturally be very bothered by it because liberal politics have never been a major part of his character and likely would be the writer speaking their own views through that character's mouth.

So politics in a Spider-Man story, that's not an automatic fail. We just don't want it to be any politics that don't fit the character. Most political I remember Spider-Man being offhand is him supporting the Civil Rights movement back in his collage days and even then he'd step in if things were getting out of hand.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In general I don't find anything wrong with politics in a comic book story as long as it is presented from a balanced point of view, not one sided and not forced. Most importantly it should be secondary to the story, it should never take precedence over the story. A good writer should be able to get their point across in a subtle way whilst still making the story as entertaining as possible for the reader.

Rock_Hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Spencer always seemed to be a boring writer to me. I've tried to read a few things that he wrote, but couldn't ever get into anything. I wouldn't want to see him on Spider-Man, although anyone would feel like a step up from Slott.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No idea if he will, but I feel like it's just a rumour...
    As for my thoughts of him writing it, well I haven't read basically anything from Spencer so I don't really have an opinion. All I know is that the guy's current reputation rivals the likes of Slott and Bendis... But I like to see things for myself, so I would give it a shot but I'll remain skeptic as I do most of the time. Overall wouldn't mind if Slott left and someone else took over, even if it's not Spencer. I just hope it's someone good.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, he'll do better than Slott in my opinion.

Spencer at least keeps the EVENTS to a very small minimum. Besides, what can he ruin in Spider-Man that hasn't been desecrated already? He'll have to do something worse than Hydra Cap to get to Quesada levels of hate.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By amazingfantasy

@itsaworld: -Well, answering your post but also using it to approach the subject overall....-
    There is literally no way to know that... Thus my point. I mean, some people are already saying Zdarsky is worse than Slott, even some strong Slott dislikers, from what I've seen. And frankly I'm not sure I disagree. Spencer has touched very little Spider-Man, not like he's Bendis or something, who despite never writing ASM he used Peter quite a bit, even if we just count 616 stuff. So we have a base to know more or less how Bendis would write it. With Spencer, we don't really have anything solid to know more or less how he'd do.

Who is to say that he won't do events? And an argument can be made that he was saving everything for SE, which is a much bigger event than office events, clearly 'the' big thing of his run, thus why he hadn't any smaller events on his Cap. And IIRC Slott or someone else from the office said the events are a spider-office/Marvel thing and not a Dan Slott thing. And frankly given how event-happy current Marvel is, and that about every office has their events here and there, I see little reason to doubt it. Besides, the ASM events don't even happen that often anyway. It's what, one every nearly two years or so?
    And ok, I know it was a bit rhetorical, but you really wanna an answer to that question? Really want someone to find something to ruin? LOL I mean no one could call that Gwen would have babies with Norman or that Peter would sell his marriage to freaking Mephisto... Or that Cap is Hydra LOL. We don't see these controversial stuff coming, but they happen regardless and c'mon, you know as well as I do... It's current Marvel, they can ruin stuff. They will find stuff to ruin if they want to. Not saying Spencer will do it but it's not like it isn't possible, as if there's nothing else to touch. Lol
    But, he doesn't need to 'ruin' anything, it can be just a bad/boring run... It doesn't have to be controversial, just plain bad storytelling. Or not. Maybe it'll be good. Maybe pretty good. Maybe even the best Spidey run ever. We can't know, simple as that... Which is my point.
    And eh, 'levels of hate' is irrelevant anyways. I don't really care if people dislike Slott/Bendis/Spencer or whoever else and are vocal about it. Unless pleeenty of people are speaking with their wallets, it barely matters. I'm just concerned about the actual quality of the book, I mean... I just want a good run for my favorite character... :/ (Btw, I don't think anyone will ever surpass Quesada on hate lvl LOL)

Well, those are my 2cents anyway. I apologise if it wasn't very clear or any grammar mistakes, I'm distracted due to simultaneously doing my courses stuff while typing this. LOL

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Spidey Appeared In The Recent Secret Empire Issues? If So, How Did Nick Spencer Write Him Like? I Really He Does Actually Write Him Well Despite Never Writing Much On The Character. I Really Hope He Tries To Improve More On The Entire Mythos As Well. I Mean, Slott Messed Around With Cap. What Could He Possibly Do To Ruin Spidey? He's Already Been Wrecked Enough By Some Of The Other Writers. Just Give Him A Chance To Be Written Correctly For Once.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody heard anything new from Comic Con?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZariusII

@aros001 said:

The Peter led books were barely mentioned at Comiccon

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
    @aros001 said:

The Peter led books were barely mentioned at Comiccon

Ah. I see. I know they had a Secret Empire panel so I was wondering if they made any mention of what was going to happen after. They said Mark Waid was going to be the new Captain America writer which meant Nick will be free to write another title.

Unspeakable100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleed Cool also said Waid was on Cap. Wonder if they got this right too

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: Yes even if Spencer was capable of further desecrating 616 Spider-Man I hardly think we'd care or notice at this point it's fallen too far and far too long.

Crazyspideyfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@marvelman92: Nope, he hasn't at ALL. The only confirmation we get that hes part of it are his own book and the Secret Empire covers. They gave Miles the complete spotlight.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: Nope, he hasn't at ALL. The only confirmation we get that hes part of it are his own book and the Secret Empire covers. They gave Miles the complete spotlight.

One could consider this a good thing, as Marvel's recent event comics rarely ever don't screw over their big name characters. Hell, Carol's reputation and fanbase have been pretty much destroyed by how she was written in Civil War 2. I don't want a repeat of Civil War 1 with Spidey.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter becomes fascinated with communism and aims to become the next Stalin.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Peter becomes fascinated with communism and aims to become the next Stalin.

Seeing as how Peter recently lost the company, I think he'd settle for a NY crusade against trump supporters.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By HAWK2916

I actually want Spencer on the X-Men. That's politics at it's best and despite anyone's problems with his Secret Empire, it's a damn good story. My biggest issue with it is not Hydra Cap but Hurk the Inhuman and that ridiculous garbage development but that's it really. As far as Spiderman writers.... hmm I actually like Peter David since we are dealing with a street level character. Bendis knows street level but I don't trust him and he'd probably butcher the character in favor of his own created Miles Morales. Greg Rucka might do well

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.