Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Why Spider-Man (Peter Parker) is Awesome

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Edited By batmannflash

Since I've been really busy, it's been more than a month since I last posted a blog entry in my "Why ___ is Awesome" series. So I decided to take the time that I have to write one for good ol' Peter Parker.

1. Relatable

A big part of Spider-Man's appeal is now relatable he is. He's not a billionaire like Bruce Wayne and he's not an alien like Superman. For most of Spidey's history, he was the awkward high school/college geek like me. I think of many times where I have encountered "typical Parker luck." He had greatness thrust upon him and had to deal with it while also dealing with the same problems that you and I might have face/faced in school. Parker isn't an idealistic super-heroic guy, or is he an ultra-badass. His personality seems more realistic and therefore more relatable.

2. Great Power

No Caption Provided

Spider-Man's powers are just plain awesome. It was original (before all the clones) and always entertaining to see. He has spidey-sense, crawls wall, shoots webs, and swings on New York's skyscrapers. It always seems to me that even though he doesn't have the most powerful power-set out there, a lot would love to have his powers over those of more powerful characters. A big chunk of superheroes is seeing them fight and Spider-Man's fights are always fun!

3. Great Responsibility

I love Spider-Man because he has great responsibility. I can always count on him to do the right thing. He has a great big heart and is a true hero. Peter has strong willpower and despite his playful demeanor, will do anything to save people. He always puts others before him. It's hard not to care for him because he is so loving and caring. Please come back, Peter Parker, we miss you!

No Caption Provided

4. Love/Relationships

Peter Parker has two of the greatest love interests in comics of all-time: Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane Watson. I've stated many times that relationships and supporting casts add so much more to the main character. Gwen and Mary both fleshed out Pete and made me care for him even more. Gwen's death in "Death of Gwen Stacy" is no doubt one of the greatest, if not the greatest, deaths in comics ever. It made a huge impact to comics and more specifically to Spider-Man as a character. And it's not hard to care about Peter's relationship with Mary Jane. Spider-Man is usually loved by everyone for many good reasons. I really like how his supporting cast have become his family and they are closer than most heroes' supporting cast. Relationships and interactions are half of what makes a fantastic character.

5. Aunt May

This is a short section that is related to my previous point. Aunt May is one of the most well-known supporting characters in comics. She has always been there for Peter and always brings heart into his stories. Scenes with her always add more depth into Spider-Man and sometimes bring emotion, which is always good.

6. Humor

Marvel is sometimes known to be the lighter side of comics' "Big Two." Spider-Man is really a big reason of that. He brings lightheartedness into every scene. His one-liners, punchlines, and reactions to situations always make me laugh. In the middle of so much seriousness, it's always awesome to have a character that make you smile. Check out scans that I have provided to lighten up your day!

7. Spider-Man and Wolverine

Best. Marvel. Duo. Ever.

Like what you see? Follow me to stay updated!

For more from me, click Why ___ is Awesome

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Last pic: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL X 9999999999

And yep thats why we all love spidey.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paperdemon: lol I know right? I love Spidey! He's so funny. Parker needs to come back

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yea, Logan and Peter make such a great duo. And that’s something that kills me right now.

And yea Peter can be real funny.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Spideysense44

Wolverine and Spiderman are so awesome together. And I agree with everything you said..you haven't made one of these in awhile man happy you started back up these blogs are pretty nicee

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Awesome blog, bro! I've missed these but you did a great work just as always. And yeah, Peter's awesome!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dope blog!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome blog!

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well said sir!

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I love this. Especially the humour section and the image of wolverine and spider-man fist-bumping. Great blog!!

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Tchoo, tchoo, tchoo...lol

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By batmannflash
    PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By PapiNacho

That, last one :P

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Ninjablade09

Great post. That little cartoon with Batman and Superman is hilarious as is that last pic.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I agree with the whole thing,especially with supporting cast point.

And Death of Ultimate Spider Man sold Spider-man for me.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What would be cool to see is more Spidey and Cyclops interaction. Now that would be funny between the serious guy and the funny guy. As for reoccurring characters in a guest spot, Black Widow and Spider-Woman!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.