Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Why so much Slott hate?

• 125 results
    andhros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@andhros:

I really hate that mindset. I don't know if that's true but if it is then it is dark days too be Marvel fans. I just don't get it. Why would you want to make your fans angry? Wouldn't it be better too have them excited? It just seems like a bad idea too me.

I am not so cynical to think that the goal is to drive fans to anger constantly. I think it is a numbers game where it is easier to be financially rewarded for undoing a marriage, killing a character, or face/heel turns.

Now that Marvel is owned by Disney the risk for failure is greater. Sales dwindle and suddenly Marvel looks a lot like Lucasarts, an IP clearinghouse. Of course the opposite may occur and they may get a cash injection. The motives and machinations are hard to discern at this point.

Difference with this and Superior is that superior was anger about the "death" of Peter Parker. This is a reaction to a lack of information causing a change to look like a face/heel turn. The former is useful as it shows attachment to a character. The latter looks like poor or rushed writing.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@andhros:

I guess I'm a bit cynical since I've been burned by cautious optimism a few times. Lucasarts can be very useful if Disney uses them properly. Especially with a new Star Wars movie coming out. I'd personally like another Rogue Squadron game. That being said I'm not sure how much of the comics is Disney's input. As for OMD I'm pretty sure that happened before Disney.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andhros: I don't think that the goal is total fan anger, just fan tweaking. It's like jabbing the older fans with a stick and then running away laughing. As noted sales were good on Superior Spider-Man so it didn't really matter a darn if a few fans on the net were angry, marvel could laugh all the way to the bank. I think part of the story strategy is to anger the old fans enough to get them talking so maybe newer fans will take a look and hopefully stay, but ultimately I don't think marvel cares about fan reaction on the net so long as sales are good. In fact I think they enjoy a little anger. Certainly stuff like AvX wasn't designed to do anything but divide the fanbase and get us all screaming at each other. I often think that about OMD/BND as well.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man:

I believe the reason is that some feel he's derailing classic characters in order to prop up his own. I believe this started with Superior where people feel the story was saying Otto is a better protagonist than Peter despite him having very little remorse for what he did as Doctor Octopus. Then there's the plot armor Otto had that was really jarring. the current reason is that people feel Peter is being made too look incompetent and Black Cat being made a villain in order to prop up Silk.

Shame we cant say this or we just get labeled haters without a good reason >_>
    People don't hate on Slott because hes Slott...if that was the case this board would still just be full of people commenting "har har Dan Slutt"! Get over yourselves we can dislike something and have a valid reason like quoted above

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baneofdemon22: Let me fix that "shes the best addition to the Spiderman universe SINCE ARACELY's introduction in Scarlet Spider"

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@master_of_suprise said:

@symbioticspider-man:

I believe the reason is that some feel he's derailing classic characters in order to prop up his own. I believe this started with Superior where people feel the story was saying Otto is a better protagonist than Peter despite him having very little remorse for what he did as Doctor Octopus. Then there's the plot armor Otto had that was really jarring. the current reason is that people feel Peter is being made too look incompetent and Black Cat being made a villain in order to prop up Silk.

Shame we cant say this or we just get labeled haters without a good reason >_>

People don't hate on Slott because hes Slott...if that was the case this board would still just be full of people commenting "har har Dan Slutt"! Get over yourselves we can dislike something and have a valid reason like quoted above

I know it really sucks that people are labeled haters even when valid criticism's have been made. I know there might be some people who are haters but it seems too be a generalization about anyone who doesn't think Dan Slott is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish people would stop responding to the positive Spider-man sales with the same old, "High sales doesn't equal quality... Justin Beiber, etc, etc, etc." We all know that sometimes things that aren't the greatest artistic quality get the greatest views. But at the same time, just because something sales well, that doesn't mean it doesn't have quality. The one's who usually throw out that statement use it as a blanket statement for popular things they don't like. It's an arrogant stance that says their tastes are far superior to the mortal man. Guess what, some things that sell well are really good. U2, Elvis, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles are all great musicians that sold a lot of albums. The Avengers, and the majority of other Marvel Studio movies, sell really well and are pretty good movies. @danslott's run on Spider-man is pretty good. It got me back to reading Spider-man. It's lazy and arrogant to say that just because you don't like it and it sales a lot means it's low quality.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrgreenlantern: I'm sorry I don't know who that is, so you could be right! I got really bored of that title and dropped it.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Because I haven't seen someone write Spider-Man so poorly since Spider-Man 3. Yeah, I said it.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Because I haven't seen someone write Spider-Man so poorly since Spider-Man 3. Yeah, I said it.

So, you prefer Sins Past and OMD instead?

andhros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_of_suprise: Forgive me, those were two disparate ideas I posted. I think that Marvel has a great deal of autonomy post acquisition. Disney makes its profit with the movies and the games. These two mediums could continue long after the comics are ended. I was suggesting that if the overall sales of comics continues to decline then Disney may decide to cut overhead(layoffs). Marvel would then become an IP clearinghouse with minimal personnel and other costs. Maybe they release a movie/game tie-in. Probably they release a super-sized annual and occasional graphic novels. I am not certain of this as Disney could go in a different direction and inject capital.

@mark_stephen:That sounds more or less correct. I disagree that the target is older fans. I think it is passionate fans. I have read quite a few posts from claimed "new" fans that would suggest they are just as vocal in their desires.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

He is a mediocre writer imo. His characterization is uninspired and stories are nothing short of special. He sets up interesting events yet fails to keep the suspense in the end. I still can enjoy his writing however. Just my 2 cents.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Might be just me, but Slott interacting with his critics on comic forums is kind of entertaining.

andhros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man:

This information cost me 12 chimichangas and the source is not exactly reliable, however, seeing as the primary source of information relating to Sins Past is Norman Osborn I think I trust my "mouthy" informant a little more.

Norman was always aware that Harry was weak. Even before the drug fiasco. He had setup a backdoor operation with fertility clinics. They would attempt to implant an Osborn heir into unsuspecting parents throughout the globe. Unfortunately for Norman the success rate was abysmal and they would switch to different donors lest the clinics success rate drop. My merc informant is aware of only one success with 2 implantations.

While Gwen Stacy was in Europe she donated ova to a cousin who had become barren after a battle with leukemia. During one of the extractions a clerical error/human stupidity/hand of fate caused them to insert "goblin seeds." This created problems when it was discovered that two of the zygotes had implanted on the uterine wall. They could scrap their only success, not really an option, or figure out a way to make it work. After several "counseling sessions" they convinced Gwen that she had a rendezvous with Norman and these children were of natural origins. This in contrast to the fact that they gestated closer to 5 months.

The rest of the story plays out the same. My source is not sure how long the program lasted or if their are other Osborns created later. I can not reveal the source for fear that he's "gonna do somethin' horrible to me."

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andhros: Check your PM. I left a message for you.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: Because everyone who disagrees with you or limes what you don't like is what, subpar? Because I like what you don't I'm just one of the classless sheep out there liking what the zeitgeist tells me to like? But if I fell in line with you I would be one of the elite, right? Next time, why don't you continue a discussion with logic and common sense and not using crass language and imagery... It makes you come across as angry, small, petty, and not capable of coming up with decent arguments.

I'll leave you with a quote from Tommy Boy, one of the funniest movies ever (unless you disagree, then it's stupid). "You are a smug, unhappy little man. I don't like you and I probably never will."

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#120  Edited By Anjales_II

People each have their own opinion, but the impressions I got based on the reviews and the comments is that, for the most part, those who don't like anything Slott writes possess at least one of the following characters:

- Lack imagination and long-term thinking

- Are unable to accept any change to the status quo and anything that differs from "their ideal" portrayal of Spider-Man

- Are overzealous, overreacting and overcritical just for the sake of it instead of having compelling arguments

- Hate on Slott because it's Slott and nothing else

Obviously there are exceptions and there are some solid arguments here and there, but nothing to justify all the overreactions and the hate. No offense to Slott detractors, I don't mean to offend anyone or sound like I'm a big Slott mark (i'm not) but this is the conclusion that I have come to based on all the comments that I have seen, and while as they say, they are each entitled to their opinions, me personally, these types of opinions, when backed by the above mentioned attributes, are types of opinions that I will never take seriously or ever take into consideration, and neither will Slott himself or Marvel.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Because generally speaking, people (online) who are unhappy about something tend to be more vocal than those who are happy. And they'll voice the same complaints again, and again. A groupthink kind of tends to start to form, where the same people talk about the same thoughts over and over.

There's nothing really inherently wrong with this, but it does tend to give a false representation of what the majority of people can think. Especially when applied to Slott, who's had a seemingly divisive run.

If you go by what you see on CV (I don't really frequent other sites), Slott is an awful writer, a terrible person, and should never touch Spidey again.

But the sales of Superior and ASM under his hand will tell you a markedly different story of what people think of his run.

I don't read Spider-Man, so I don't really have an opinion on him as a writer one way or another.

Sales aren't an indicator of quality, some people just buy his stuff to complain or because they want the entire spidey collection or they're just checking it out.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By darthfury78

@knightsofdarkness2: Most people buy comics to collect; not to read. And a lot of people buy comics to look at the artwork and let their imaginations run wild. As long as the artwork is great, people will buy whatever they want, and the sales reflect. While I can't say too much about the dialog Slott's produced, I will respect that he knows how to direct the artist to create a visual that captures the readers interest. Storywise, I just wished that he would have used Betty Brant and Jennifer Walters(Human form) in place of Mary Jane and the Black Widow and Jessica Drew in place of the Black Cat as alternates rather than to make time out of character, which gets to be very depressing. Considering that Carlie Cooper is now gone, I would love to see Slott use Tigra in her place as Greer Grant: NYPD Crime Scene Investigator and close friend of Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

LastOblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate him, In fact his stories are fun to read.
    It's no masterpiece, though.

But I guess we need variation. He has been at this for too long, and it's always the same thing.
    "Oh spidey's life will never be the same after this bla bla"
    randow story, and then team up story (I do like those, though), some spider event, randow story again, team up, and so it goes. I And ramos art. Urgh... At first I thought it was even kinda nice, but after seeing it soo much it just gets... Ugly.
    Again, I think we need variation. I'd take any other artist that worked on slott run over ramos.

My opnion is that his run was reeeaaally great until Spider-Island.
    After that It kinda lost quality.
    And this first arc of ASM sucked a loooot.

And as much as I love trolling, I think he goes too far sometimes, but ya know, whatever.

I prefer Yost, though.
    But whatever, my Spider-Gwen is getting her own book! :p

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By batcat91

It seems that opinions on Slott's ASM are very polarizing. He really doesn't deserve the hate he gets with that being said I do have problems with it. There are definitely things I like with the direction he took with Peter's character. I haven't read everything from slott, just from Big Time to the current storyline. But I like the idea of Peter being well off financially working in a job that actually suits his scientific mindset though I liked Peter Parker as a teacher more, though that's just personal preference.

Also he provides engaging action-packed stories. What I don't like is that a lot of Peter's essential supporting cast seems to be replaced or has had very limited panel time. The thing I loved about SPider-man was his personal relationships and close ties to his family and close friends. Characters like Mary Jane, Aunt May, Harry Osborn were great. A lot of the new characters I did not care for and the only ones that stand out for me are Max Modell and Anna maria.

I'd actually like it if Dan eventually made May, Mary Jane, and Flash have more prominent roles in future spider-man arcs. All in all I have had mixed reactions with his asm stories. The only arcs that I really enjoyed were Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth. Superior Spider-man was great and thought the issues were consistently very good and for the most part a very satisfying ending.

I did not care for the direction with these most recent issues and will most likely wait for the next arc.

Alex_1333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Alex_1333

Idk what's goin on here?!! YAAAAA KE KE KE KE!1!

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOOOOL the first half of Spider-Man's page is all about Slott. Makes sense though, he's a hack with no imagination, has no understanding of peter and his cast.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.