Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Why Mary Jane is the true love

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

People recall all the loves of Peter's life.

We've had Betty Brant, Liz Allen, Debra Whitman, Felicia Hardy, Gwen Stacy, but it all ended with Mary Jane.

Out of all the romances, Mary Jane captivated readers with her personality and her growth. She was strong and tough and even to this day she is timeless.

She entered the series saying some of the most iconic lines "face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot" and surpassed being just a co-star love rival to being the main leading lady.

Unlike Gwen Stacy, there was a lot going for MJ that made readers latch on to her quickly. She was a mover, always joyful, fun, and an independent as well, meaning when she was in trouble, she was never a damsel in distress as she always attempted to save herself.

And then MJ had done what no other love interest had done, she married Peter.

Though many will complain that MJ is no good for him and that they are plenty of other romances that would of been better.

So to not derail other love interests appreciation threads, I started this one. Explain why you guys think Peter and MJ are meant to be together and the true loves

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Mary Jane is the ONE. End of story. Its beyond a shadow of a doubt. These pages express why she's the best for Peter.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, seems the writers should really take a page from the book that page came from.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read JMS run and you'll see.

Druzzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because she would never sleep with Norman Osborn.

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Glaucus

@druzzie said:

Because she would never sleep with Norman Osborn.

awww c'mon

Even though I am a Peter-Mary Jane fan, I think that Sins Past was really messed up and was just made for Gwen to look bad including especially a slut just like One Moment In Time was really messed up and was just made for Mary Jane to look bad including especially weak.

Sins Past was unnecessary. Mary Jane was already cemented as the iconic love interest of Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

Bly_Elkhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Dunst played MJ, I became more of a Gwen fan simply cause I didn't like Dunst. Recently however, my liking for MJ is coming back. I do after all, have a thing for red heads.

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Dunst played MJ, I became more of a Gwen fan simply cause I didn't like Dunst. Recently however, my liking for MJ is coming back. I do after all, have a thing for red heads.

Hey...I don't blame you.

I was always a Mary Jane fan, but I did like the movie Gwen better than movie Mary Jane.

I thought Kirsten Dunst was miscast.

I couldn't find her romantic scenes with Tobey Maguire believable including even when she finally hooks up with him at the end of Spider-Man.

She didn't have that charisma,beauty that Mary Jane is supposed to have.

Bly_Elkhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glaucus: I agree with all that. She definitely was miscast and even when I was much younger ( I was 9 or 10 at the time), it didn't feel right between the two of them at all.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I love MJ but I truly dislike the insult that is Dunst's MJ. It's cool that you're appreciating her once more, MJ is a great character and to miss the chance to known her and possibly like her as a character, because of one mishandled version of her character, would be such a shame!

@glaucus said:
    @bly_elkhart said:

Hey...I don't blame you.

I was always a Mary Jane fan, but I did like the movie Gwen better than movie Mary Jane.

I thought Kirsten Dunst was miscast.

I couldn't find her romantic scenes with Tobey Maguire believable including even when she finally hooks up with him at the end of Spider-Man.

She didn't have that charisma,beauty that Mary Jane is supposed to have.

Agreed too. Especially with that last line! She definitely does not represent MJ in my book.

Avatar image for parker_industries
    Parker_Industries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still prefer Gwen Stacy...please don't hate me ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZariusII

@parker_industries said:

No hate coming your way...merely a need to understand your POV.

In light of all the evidence of how inferior she is to MJ [and hell, even Felicia and Ultimate Kitty], and the fact she had sex with Norman...why do you still prefer her?

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
    @parker_industries said:

In light of all the evidence of how inferior she is to MJ [and hell, even Felicia and Ultimate Kitty], and the fact she had sex with Norman...why do you still prefer her?

Even though I prefer Mary Jane, I don't see anything wrong with others preferring somebody else. Everybody has their own preferences. It's not about right or wrong. It's just what a person is interested in.

Mary Jane is indeed the iconic love interest of Spider-Man, but that doesn't stop others from preferring others over her. Some people tired of the old status quo.

Lois Lane is indeed the iconic love interest of Superman, and there are others that prefer that Superman should be with Wonder-Woman.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZariusII

@glaucus said:
    @zariusii said:
    @parker_industries said:

Even though I prefer Mary Jane, I don't see anything wrong with others preferring somebody else. Everybody has their own preferences. It's not about right or wrong. It's just what a person is interested in.

Mary Jane is indeed the iconic love interest of Spider-Man, but that doesn't stop others from preferring others over her. Some people tired of the old status quo.

Lois Lane is indeed the iconic love interest of Superman, and there are others that prefer that Superman should be with Wonder-Woman.

Sometimes the old ways are the best.

As for Supes/Wondy, that pairing's fans had their chance...and look what happened. People preferred the old status quo, and they opted to bring it back, albiet with a new wrinkle in Jon.

Same with Marvel reviving the marriage for Renew Your Vows...something familiar, but a new wrinkle in a crime fighting family unit

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Glaucus

@zariusii said:
    @glaucus said:
    @zariusii said:
    @parker_industries said:

Sometimes the old ways are the best.

As for Supes/Wondy, that pairing's fans had their chance...and look what happened. People preferred the old status quo, and they opted to bring it back, albiet with a new wrinkle in Jon.

Same with Marvel reviving the marriage for Renew Your Vows...something familiar, but a new wrinkle in a crime fighting family unit

I agree with you.

I am a Peter-MJ marriage fan.

I enjoy reading Renew Your Vows ongoing series.

Renewing Your Vows and reading the old Spider-Man comics are keeping me from missing the Peter-MJ marriage too much.

I do believe that Peter and MJ will be united in the future, but it will be many years before that happens.

At least, there is still a lot of Spider-Man fans that do prefer the Peter-MJ marriage.

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Glaucus

I have decided to make a Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson facebook page

I just made it today, and so there are no posts yet. There will be a lot within the month.

Please feel free to give input including what I should use for cover photo and profile pic.

https://www.facebook.com/SpiderManMaryJane/

Avatar image for parker_industries
    Parker_Industries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: I just prefer Gwen.I dunno,I just like her more.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: I just prefer Gwen.I dunno,I just like her more.

Fair enough. Not everyone's preferences can be swayed by evidence and history.

I 'ship a lot of crack parings, I ought to know rofl

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well, the page @ursaber posted sums it up, MJ´s character is the most fleshed and layered supporting character and the role she plays in Peter´s life was crucial to the stories and his motivation to keep going.

For me, as cheesy as it sounds, Mary Jane represents that true love exists and that there is that one person destined for us that will complement our lives in ways we can´t begin to imagine.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.