Why do these two versions of Mary Jane Watson in particular, get so much hate by fans.

#1 Edited by FromAPOV (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm talking about these two specifically:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Now, I'm not trying to say that these versions of Mary Jane are great interpretations of the Character. However, I feel as though these two get too much hate without a good reason, I personally have never had problems with these two, honestly they aren't even my least favorite versions, I know A LOT of people will hate me for saying this, but I personally dislike Mary Jane from Spider-Man PS4 more than even these two, I know I'm probably gonna get crucified for saying that, but it's my opinion and I'm gonna stand by it.

Anyway, I do want to genuinely know everyone's opinions on why do you like these two or why do you not like these two.

#2 Posted by ursaber (10173 posts) - - Show Bio

@fromapov:

I like 90's version of Mary Jane. I don't think she has a hate train behind her at all. What is generally disliked about her is her choice of clothes. She looks like a fashion abortion.

As for Live Action MJ, she was thoroughly UNLIKE Mary Jane Watson in any way. She's a cheater in relationships, she's a terrible person and thoroughly unlikable.

In fact, watch this Honest Trailer to see a couple of funny cracks at her:

Loading Video...

#3 Edited by ZariusII (5777 posts) - - Show Bio

90s animated MJ is a compelling character, she didn't always make the right decision (she let herself get engaged to Harry at one point, and was lured into a cult hoping that it'd reconnect her with her father), but she knew how to have fun and deeply cared about Peter. Her clone, who would go on to marry Peter, was just as badass as the best of the comic book versions, leading a team to go rescue Peter when he went up against the Lizard, or putting herself in the line of fire against Electro and later Hydro Man.

Dunst's MJ is good in the first film, but the other two movies soured me on her. I know she has her fans and that she's very flawed, but too many times it's for the sake of contrived drama and everybody looks worse off with the decisions she makes. There's a reason even Peter/MJ fans prefer to 'ship Peter with the landlord's daughter in those movies.

#4 Posted by ursaber (10173 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

90s animated MJ is a compelling character, she didn't always make the right decision (she let herself get engaged to Harry at one point, and was lured into a cult hoping that it'd reconnect her with her father), but she knew how to have fun and deeply cared about Peter. Her clone, who would go on to marry Peter, was just as badass as the best of the comic book versions, leading a team to go rescue Peter when he went up against the Lizard, or putting herself in the line of fire against Electro and later Hydro Man.

Dunst's MJ is good in the first film, but the other two movies soured me on her. I know she has her fans and that she's very flawed, but too many times it's for the sake of contrived drama and everybody looks worse off with the decisions she makes. There's a reason even Peter/MJ fans prefer to 'ship Peter with the landlord's daughter in those movies.

LOL

Also, Dunst MJ was a cheater. Especially in Spider-Man 3

#5 Posted by Vinsanity04 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Dunst MJ seemed very selfish throughout all three films and was delegated to "how to cause trouble and move the plot forward." Whether it be by messing with Peter's love life or being another obstacle in the climax's battle.

SM1 - Dated Flash in the beginning. Kissed Spider-Man while with Harry, then broke up with Harry. Admitted to loving Peter while at Norman's funeral. To her knowledge she had 4 romantic involvements in the span of the film. She's held captive on the bridge for the finale.

SM2 - Leads Pete on until he says "Oh boy yeah" to which she then says she's dating someone. Performs an upside down kissing test on her boyfriend, then calls peter up to kiss him again and compare. Leaves jameson at the altar to run back to Peter. She's held captive in the warehouse for the finale.

SM3 - She seemed entirely self-centered and jealous of Peter's success. Cheats on Peter with Harry. She's held captive in a car for the finale.

#6 Edited by NiteLite (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.