Who is Spider-Man's arch-enemy?

• 65 results
Posted by kcomicfan (4690 posts) 3 years, 7 months ago

Poll: Who is Spider-Man's arch-enemy? (96 votes)

The Green Goblin 71%
Doctor Octopus 8%
Venom 16%
Other 5%

Who is Spider-Man's arch-enemy?

#51 Posted by GothamCiti (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think Spider-Man's archenemy is Norman Osborn, closely followed by Doctor Octopus due to their strong personal connection/history to Peter.

#52 Posted by w0nd (6804 posts) - - Show Bio

based on personal history, obsession, continuous hate, pro longed trauma, i give it to norman.

Otto accepted and admitted peter was better then him

Venom is currently seeing eye to eye with him.

People have mentioned carnage, but there aren't many long lasting effects done to peter caused by him. He is a "per issue" problem, where if you don't see him then he is forgotten, his problems come and go with the story and is usually contained within that issue.

Norman has done some serious damage and keeps coming back

#53 Edited by SuperGoku17 (7220 posts) - - Show Bio

Jonah Jameson

#54 Posted by KCJ5062 (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's just say that Green Goblin is Peter Parker's arch enemy while Doc Ock is Spider-man's arch enemy.

I honestly think most people that think Venom is Spidey's arch enemy do so because of how popular he is. If anything, he's to Spider-man as Bane and Doomsday are to Batman and Superman.

#55 Posted by Thiagl156 (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel.

#56 Edited by Combo-Man (306 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on the era,

1960s to early 70s

Green Goblin (Norman Osborn)

1970s

Doctor Octopus or Kingpin

1980s

Hobgoblin or Kraven

1990s

Venom or Chameleon or Harry Osborn

2000s

??? no idea, Morlun maybe?

2010-present

again don't know.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
#57 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (7222 posts) - - Show Bio

Historically, Dr. Octopus. Before the first Raimi film, he was always the first villain people thought of when they thought of Spidey.

#58 Edited by Darah (161 posts) - - Show Bio

Osborn

#59 Posted by Tohoma (2154 posts) - - Show Bio

Osborn is the first villain that comes to mind on the topic of Spider-man.

#60 Posted by Green_Tea (10682 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Osborn

2. Ock

it's funny when people mention that they consider Venom to be spider's arch enemy just because he's a "bigger darker version of spider-man", that's something a mere child would explain. that's the equivalent of people saying Doomsday is superman's arch enemy instead of lex because he's what superman would be if he was uncontrolled and unreserved.

don't even get me started on the people who stated Carnage...

#61 Posted by RogueDeWolff (602 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I would say Norman is the biggest pick. The things he's done to Peter just makes him a far more personal enemy than any one else, not just on this list, but in his entire rogue gallery.

Doc Ock comes close, but I feel like he's more of an insecure and pathetic jerk. I remember a one-shot (can't remember the title; could be a story arc in ASM, could be "Doctor Octopus: Year One") that focused on Doc Ock's feelings about Spidey, and it tried to show how Ocky is a reflection of Webhead. Both of them were science nerds who were met with unfortunate circumstances and they took different paths having been granted with powers (both through an accident no less). So they do share some parallels, but I feel like Octavius' decisions were made because he's crazy and insecure rather than being conscious decisions.

Norman, on the other hand, is crazy too, but he's just sane enough to make rational choices, so all those bad things he's done (practically inhumane acts that are incomparable to anything Octavius has done) is his own choice, especially when he lacks the excuse of growing up in unfortunate circumstances like Octavius. And that's an important parallel Norman has with Peter - he chose to be a monster whereas Peter chose to be a hero. Octavius is more like somewhere in between. He could have chosen better, sure, but half of his fault lies with him wanting attention and proving he's better than everyone else. There are mentally ill patients out there with superiority complex like him, albeit not full-blown supervillains.

Furthermore, the more important connection Norman shares with Peter is their relationships, specifically Harry Osborn. While Norman has done horrible things to Peter, Norman also has reasons to hate Spider-Man because of his connection with Harry as a friend (prior to OMD before the mind-wipe anyway). I think that even after OMD, Norman still hates Spidey for getting in his way of grooming Harry into the son he wants him to be (see American Son). So there's a personal vendetta on both side of this relationship, which makes Norman an even more fitting archenemy than Doc Ock.

#62 Edited by Combo-Man (306 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_tea: @KCJ5062:

I disagree. Venom is rightfully considered a candidate for Spidey's arch-enemy not simply because he's a bigger darker version of Spider-Man, or because he's popular but because he's possibly the most mentally disturbed and dangerous member of Spidey's rogues gallery. he actually believes he is the hero and Spider-Man is the villain.

while most villains want to "get rid of that pesky wall crawler" they do it because Spider-Man is stopping them from achieving their larger goals. but for Eddie Brock, killing Spider-Man was the goal.

and he's done so many psychotic things in pursuit of that goal. such as stalking Peter, harassing MJ, killing cops and prison guards, severely beating The Black Cat and kidnapping what he believed were Peter's parents. and he did all these things without remorse and while still believing that he's the victim, and he will get his "righteous revenge"

murdering people one minute and saving people the next. a weird, complex and contradictory character that was deserving of his popularity.

That being said I don't think he's Spider-Man's arch-enemy, because I don't think Spidey has a single arch-enemy. but he's definitely one of Spider-Man's greatest villains and a contender in this topic.

#63 Edited by KCJ5062 (13 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_tea

That stuff you listed that Venom has done still doesn't really compare to Green Goblin not only being responsible for the death of Gwen Stacy, which if I'm not mistaken, was the FIRST TIME EVER that a villain invaded a hero's personal life like that, but also kidnapping and killing Peter's newborn baby and also killing Ben Reilly as well.

Apart from Venom's physical superhuman abilities, what's his value as a villain and being a contender for an arch nemesis? Your arch nemesis knows what side of the line he stands on and it's always against you. Your arch nemesis doesn't try to turn hero. Your arch nemesis doesn't team up with you on multiple occasions. Your arch nemesis doesn't abandon his vendetta and draw up a peace treaty so you can do your thing while he does his. Your arch nemesis doesn't let it slide when you break the treaty. Spidey once showed up in L.A. and started wailing on Venom, who simply grabbed him and said, quite calmly, "You shouldn't be here. We had an arrangement. We'll discuss your betrayal later." A REAL arch nemesis would have torn into him right then and there.

#64 Posted by Green_Tea (10682 posts) - - Show Bio

@KCJ5062: ...I’m not defending venom lol. That’s the other guy

#65 Edited by Combo-Man (306 posts) - - Show Bio
@KCJ5062 said:

@green_tea

That stuff you listed that Venom has done still doesn't really compare to Green Goblin

Yeah I agree Green Goblin has done worse stuff to Peter. and I wasn't disputing that. but most of that stuff was after he was brought back, but regardless it still counts.

@KCJ5062 said:

Your arch nemesis knows what side of the line he stands on and it's always against you. Your arch nemesis doesn't try to turn hero. Your arch nemesis doesn't team up with you on multiple occasions.

Well that's obviously not true, Batman has teamed up with the Joker, Captain America has teamed up with the Red Skull, X-Men have teamed up with Magneto. and on and on.

@KCJ5062 said:

Your arch nemesis doesn't let it slide when you break the treaty. Spidey once showed up in L.A. and started wailing on Venom, who simply grabbed him and said, quite calmly, "You shouldn't be here. We had an arrangement. We'll discuss your betrayal later." A REAL arch nemesis would have torn into him right then and there.

That's just Venom's unpredictable personality, he can be completely calm on one page and screaming "I'M GONNA EAT YOUR BRAIN!!!" on the next.

again I don't think Spidey has a single arch-enemy, just lots of good villains and a few great ones. if you don't think Venom is as important as Green Goblin or Doc Ock, then that's cool and understandable, but many fans do regard Venom as Spidey's greatest villain and that's a totally valid opinion.

#66 Edited by Combo-Man (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel did something unique when they killed off Spidey's original arch-enemy Green Goblin. it left an empty space that was filled by new villains. Hobgoblin in the 80s, Venom in the early 90s.

Norman Osborn was just a portrait on Harry's wall for the longest time. a stage prop for Harry's soliloquies.

and when Norman Osborn returned in the mid/late 90s, I never found the returning version to be an interesting villain just a cliché hyper evil businessman character. he was frankly more interesting as a portrait on a wall.

as fans said at the time Marvel created a mess when they brought back a character that had been dead for 21 years(Ben Reilly), so their solution was to bring back Norman Osborn a character that had been dead for 23 years. the comic became way too retrospective and didn't feel fresh.

but my point is Spider-Man has his major villains, they all have their pros and cons. and they're all great in their own way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.