Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17239 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Which run was better?

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which run was better? (25 votes)

JMS 68%
    Dan Slott 32%

Two great runs on one side is the spider totem stories, the other the just barely over superior spiderman, but which run did you like better?

• 
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Strider1992

JMS really brought something new to the table for Spider-man imo. He mucked up a couple of stories but he's still one of my favorite writers.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

im biased in JMS' favor because he brought me into Spider-Man. i loved hi work, even though he did have some major f--- ups

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By I_NEED_A_HORSE

Why is Slott winning? I'm starting to loose faith in the Spidey fanbase after looking at these results.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4  Edited By MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

My vote goes to JMS.

holyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By holyk

JMS is responsible for story lines such as One More Day and the Osborn (Stacy) twins which annoys me til this day.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the most part JMS continued to expand upon the mature treatment of Spider-Man with well written dialogue.

Slott's run gave us dumbed down dialogue, sloppy characterizations, nonsensical storylines and messed up cartoonish artwork.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyk:

I agree. But that was more to do with Quesada's editorial mandate.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

JMS.

Hit all the right points wit hthe character himself.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By silent_bomber

Slott - Fun, quirky, and imaginative with a good feel for tone and past Spider-Man heritage.

JMS - Mainly just recycled tropes, his run went absolutely nowhere and then the guy retconed himself into oblivion.

JMS benefits, a lot, from being a respectable writer (at least for the first half of his run) who followed a long period of terrible writers.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..Well I am not well versed with either, but the two JMS books I have bought are awesome!

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By tupiaz

Since I haven't read Dan Slott's run I will not vote.

@holyk said:

JMS is responsible for story lines such as One More Day and the Osborn (Stacy) twins which annoys me til this day.

Nope that is Joe Quesada. Original JMS wouldn't have anything to do with it. Then he jus didn't wanted his name on it and then he ended up getting blame for it all. It was Joe Quesada that as an editor wanted to be a writer which is never a good thing.

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By I_NEED_A_HORSE

JMS wasn't to blame for Sins Past and OMD, it was all MARVELS fault along with that hack Quesada. Btw I'd rather read Sins Past over that Alpha atrocity anyday :P

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I definetely recommend everyone to read JMS's Spider-man it is one of the best Spider-man runs, its mostly great, only Sin's past and OMD (which both were editorial mandates) suck. And it can be easily tracked down.

JMS really brought something new to the table for Spider-man imo. He mucked up a couple of stories but he's still one of my favorite writers.

JMS.

Hit all the right points wit hthe character himself.

These.

Slott may be a good writer but his Spider-man was mediocre at best.

JMS's stories were perfectly executed (except the ones that were editorial forced). He added a mystical posibility to Spider-man's life without taking away from his scientific origin, he wrote a Peter Parker that wasn't a Gary Sue, he made you care about the supporting cast, his characters interactions where spot on, no one was written out of character, he respected the character and didn't belittle him in his own book, to make another character look better, JMS's stories didn't progress with deus ex machinas and his humor was elegant, there where actual touching moments provoking strong emotions, Peter's emotions where coming strong to the reader through inner monologue which was simple and amazing at the same time.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Ironically despite OMD, JMS wrote MJ and Peter better than anyone else and its not even close.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By silent_bomber

@squalleon said:

only Sin's past and OMD suck.

• and the Other
    • and Back in Black
    • and The Black Issue

Out of the other ones I've read

• Coming Home was OK though very by-the-numbers (3/5)
    • The Conversation was good (4/5)
    • Cold Arms was incredibly derivative, but polished (3/5)
    • Strange Course of Events was filler, but it was solid filler (3/5)
    • Book of Ezekiel was Passable, really didn't end up going anywhere at all but it held my interest while it lasted (3/5)

Based on his Romita work I would class him as a good, but not particularly great Spider-Man writer.

But as a whole the latter half of his work brings his run down to poor overall IMO

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VeganDiet
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

JMS all the way. He brought up some major changes to Spidey and wrote one of the best stories while Slott just wrote wannabee stories that aren't even entertaining.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why is this even a debate?

BND/OMD wasn't his fault

Sins Past wasn't as horrible as some people make it out to be

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By silent_bomber
    @vegandiet said:

@silent_bomber: If you please, what was wrong with The Black issue?

It is horribly cliched, contrived, and exploitative.

Worse still when Doctor Doom started crying about 9/11 I burst out laughing, which is not the sort of reaction it should be providing.

Some parts of it actually reminded me of Team America, except it wasn't being tongue in cheek, it was actually being serious

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VeganDiet

@silent_bomber: So a tribute to all of the rescue workers that worked tirelessly to save people calling them the "real heroes" and honoring the ordinary people involved was exploitative?

Could you point out the "contrived" and "cliched" moments in this comic?

Doctor Doom's crying was added by John Romita Jr., not JMS, and quibbling over a three panel long OOC moment in an issue that was meant to reflect the grand depths of tragedy that America had just undergone is, frankly, idiotic.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@silent_bomber:

*sigh* I would reply but we already had a similar conversation in another thread.

Ironically despite OMD, JMS wrote MJ and Peter better than anyone else and its not even close.

Agreed.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So a tribute to all of the rescue workers that worked tirelessly to save people calling them the "real heroes" and honoring the ordinary people involved was exploitative?

It was tacky and clumsy, real people saved lives and died during 9/11 and Marvel has a bunch of their cartoon characters standing around crying?. What happened was a very complicated world issue yet there is no real content here touching on anything.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: Yes, and the entire comic was written as a tribute to those people. It's the reason why the "cartoon characters" were in the back, while the real heroes took front and center.

The "cartoon characters" were crying to reflect the way the author's of the issue felt about the tragedy, and I think the issue had plenty of real content based around the resiliency of the ordinary man in the face of a terrible event.

KaineReilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JMS' run is what got me into Spider-man, and so by extension comics as a whole, so my vote goes to him, always liked the semi-mystical aspect he added to the mythos

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegandiet said:

@silent_bomber: Yes, and the entire comic was written as a tribute to those people. It's the reason why the "cartoon characters" were in the back, while the real heroes took front and center.

The "cartoon characters" were crying to reflect the way the author's of the issue felt about the tragedy, and I think the issue had plenty of real content based around the resiliency of the ordinary man in the face of a terrible event.

If you love it then fine, but as far as I'm concerned it was nothing but oversimplified Knee-Jerk Flag-Waving.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JMS's run was one of the best. every spidey fan must read his run. Dan slott is amazing, but its hard to beat JMS.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.