Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What was the point of having three spidey anti-heroes?

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Superior Spider-man, Scarlet Spider (Kaine) and Venom. I see no point in this.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

i dont read any of the spiderman series but im curious is Doct Oct Spiderman? and why did he decide to become a antihero.

and as for your question. my guess the books are selling well.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@phaedrusgr said:

i dont read any of the spiderman series but im curious is Doct Oct Spiderman? and why did he decide to become a antihero.

and as for your question. my guess the books are selling well.

Both Venom and Scarlet Spider have been cancelled. Scarlet Spider is on its way out with only one issue left and Venom's now left with a Superior Spider-Man crossover and being a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

@lvenger: who is superior spiderman?

Otto Octavius in Peter Parker's body. He's pretty much a psychopathic ass lol although he does have his moments:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Of course, these two got cancelled. There was no point, since SSM attracts those fans that wanted a darker version of Peter or would love Spider-man being an anti-hero. Kaine was the real "superior" anti-hero.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phaedrusgr: Exactly, he had much more depth and originality that could be explored than SpOck ever could.

@strider92 You going to read New Warriors or is your annexing of Marvel ending totally with Scarlet Spider?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Strider1992

@lvenger: Now he's in New Warrior's i'll give that a shot! The Kaine Fan-Boy in me must be appeased!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lvenger

@strider92: Ah you haven't heard? Yost and rumours circulating have hinted that the Scarlet Spider in New Warriors may not be Kaine. It is a youngster team and Kaine's brooding, brutal anti hero ways may not have been allowed on New Warriors. Still, this is all speculation on my part and everyone else's and I guess the answer will be given in the last issue of Scarlet Spider.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I swear if they've replaced Kaine with Miles I will flip my sh*t! How can they take Kaine from me!?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@strider92: well scarlet spider didn't even break the top 200 when it was cancelled. low sales, dude. miles could be an awesime sxarletvspider or even an awesome hornet if he gets mechanical wings like wasp.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even I only read 1 or 2 issues of Scarlet Spider, and I actually thought it was an interesting idea. No way was it going to go anywhere, and I have even less faith in New Warriors haha

I don't understand why they keep bringing back stuff from the 90's that only sold well because it was the 90's. Comic fans will say they care about lots of stuff on the internet, but it's time Marvel figures out they'll never back it up with their money.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I have a sinking feeling I know who it is. If it isn't Kaine and its a young character then I bet its a clone of Kaine. The Jackal took a sample of Kaine's DNA didn't he? If Kaine retires to Mexico or god forbid dies then if the Jackal were to make a teenage version of Kaine who had his old memories it would explain why Aracely would still be around. If Kaine were to die protecting her in the conclusion of Scarlet Spider then befriending/helping a young version of Kaine would make sense.

Not to mention Yost has said that it is a Clone of Spider-man. So its either Kaine or a new Clone (or Ben?).

@captain13: Superior Spider-man is stomping both Ult Sm and Scarlet Spider in terms of sales doesn't mean its a better book than either of them. Sales are just what keep the book running doesn't have much to do with the quality of the story now days.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: That's the other rumour, that Miles will replace Kaine's superior and more complex character.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Strider1992

@lvenger: the more interviews I read the more i'm becoming convinced that this a teenage clone of Kaine.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Kaine getting canceled is a CRIME.

they are just trying to force me to read Superior

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: That's a disturbingly plausible theory. I hope this doesn't cheapen the end of Scarlet Spider.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Strider1992

@lvenger: It's really the only other theory that makes any sense (unless it is good old original Kaine). They get to keep Scarlet Spider and to a lesser extent Kaine himself, they don't have to worry about having another Spider-man duplicate due to the fact it would have Kaine's other power-set. Also it allows Marvel to have another teenage super-hero for storylines and younger people to "relate" to and lets face it Marvel likes that!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Again that makes a worrying amount of sense for Marvel's perspective. They get a young 'relatable' hero whilst it technically still is Kaine and Scarlet Spider.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: If that's the case, I'm out. Divorce with Marvel.

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
    OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Point Is That Every AntiHero You've Listed Is Completely Unique

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Strider1992

@phaedrusgr: @lvenger: Even if that turns out to be the case i'll still give it a shot for the simple reason Yost is writing it. I jump on anything he writes now regardless of whether its Spider-related or not. I even like his portrayal of SpOck in Team-Up. Not reading Superior but I still pick up Team-Up.

The most disturbing thought would be that Aracely and Kaine would be the same age! Dear god imagine if they suddenly decided to make them an item!?

No Caption Provided

(But that seems a worst case scenario)

Avatar image for friendlysymbiotevenomman
    FriendlySymbioteVenomMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Venom was a great book (under Remender, anyway. Less good with Bunn), as is Scarlet Spider. (Shoot, I'm going to have to start referring to Scarlet Spider in the past tense soon) So why complain about their existence? They were doing totally different things from each other and SSM. Sometimes people read things for reasons that aren't related to a really lame cliffsnotes description of the main protagonist.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

@strider92 said:

@lvenger: I swear if they've replaced Kaine with Miles I will flip my sh*t! How can they take Kaine from me!?

THIS!

i mean WTF is Miles just the new goto guy when replacing or killing of a spiderman?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Captain13

@strider92: too bad. sales are the only way fans really show interest.miles has higher sales ;-P

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: you sir deserve a pair of stingers for putting this theory together! as much as I'd hate to see Kaine bite the dust , a part of me wouldn't mind seeing a new younger cloned Kaine created by the Jackal aka that spidercide 2.0 he mentioned in the teamup issue. With that said honestly im not exactly sure how I'd feel in the long term withe a new Kaine clone... Bittersweet taste if you ask me

P.s Lmao here we are talking about a clone of parker getting a new clone of himself! Look what the current run of Scarlet Spider means to us </3

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: too bad. sales are the only way fans really show interest.miles has higher sales ;-P

Not higher than Superior Spider-man though eh? :P

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Did you even read Venom or Scarlet Spider-Man? do you even know of their past so you get a perspective of why they are in the spot they are in?

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

Kaine, Peter, Miles, Flash Thompson > Otto. As for the Scarlet Spider in New Warriors I'm hoping it's Kaine though I'll still read it even if it isn't. It's gotta be better than Otto's book.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think me picking up new warriors depends on if Kaine is under the mask and how much time they give to aracely

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KnightRise

Because they're three entirely different characters.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mikex20

Because Batman and friends have like 10 titles.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: Really? Never thought of that!

You asked a question and got an answer. "What's the point?" They're three entirely different characters with different origins, development, motives, and backstories. The Spider-Man related anti-hero label is moot.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TazzMission

it is like asking why have six gl's alan, hal, john,guy ,kyle,simon. its all about money dude

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@knightrise, @tazzmission: I know it's all about money, guys, and I know they're three different characters etc etc. You don't get the question. Why Marvel felt the need to have three anti-heroes instead of one hero (Amazing Spider-man) and two Anti-heroes or another pattern. 3 anti-heroes, spider-centered is too much for me, furthermore, I think they sabotaged any chance for sales that Scarlet Spider had (the definition of the anti-hero). Anyway, thanks for dropping by. :)

Jimmie_Hudson_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

one is a villain trying to be a hero, anti-hero.

one is a soldier trying to be a hero. he is the most heroic of the 3 arguably.

one is a ex-villain looking for redemption and has a conscious telling him to be a hero but he kind of doesn't want to.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By PeppeyHare

Don't know but I like/liked all three

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

1 writer wanted something different than Peter,but still Peter-like,the other writer wanted to make good of Venom/Flash and the third made SpOck......pure confusion.
    Resault : We have no real Spider-Man at the momment.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

@knightrise:

okay so we have scarlet spider who threatens ,blackmails and outright maims his enemies now lets take a look over at superior spiderman....pretty much the same thing going on over here

seriously they may not be carbon copies of eachother but you cant denying superior's motives copy Scarlets close enough to make Scarlet spider's book as you would say "moot"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.