What is Spider-Man's "All-Star Superman" ?

#1 Edited by Thor_Parker82 (16369 posts) - - Show Bio

When someone asks for a definitive read for Superman, most people will tell you to go and read "All Star Superman" by Grant Morrison, it is universally loved and praised as well as being the most popular Superman story in the comic book medium.

So I want to ask you guys, do you think Spider-Man has his own "All Star Superman" ? What story would you say is that ?

#2 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16369 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by ursaber (10172 posts) - - Show Bio

When someone asks for a definitive read for Superman, most people will tell you to go and read "All Star Superman" by Grant Morrison, it is universally loved and praised as well as being the most popular Superman story in the comic book medium.

So I want to ask you guys, do you think Spider-Man has his own "All Star Superman" ? What story would you say is that ?

That's... a very tough thing to answer IMO. Spider-Man just... doesn't have many widely promoted Elseworlds stories as Superman or Batman, in the same vein as All Star Superman or Dark Knight Returns. At least, not good ones, looking at you Spider-Man Reign.

I would have to say, something along the lines of Ultimate Spider-Man's first arcs. And I say this rather oversimplified.

#4 Edited by Thor_Parker82 (16369 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@thor_parker82 said:

That's... a very tough thing to answer IMO. Spider-Man just... doesn't have many widely promoted Elseworlds stories as Superman or Batman, in the same vein as All Star Superman or Dark Knight Returns. At least, not good ones, looking at you Spider-Man Reign.

I would have to say, something along the lines of Ultimate Spider-Man's first arcs. And I say this rather oversimplified.

I think Spider-Man is missing that, Marvel should do more elseworlds stories on him, hiring top notch talent and just let them tell their story like Grant Morrison and Frank Miller did with Superman and Batman respectively.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#5 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (24727 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing about All-Star Superman is that it's an Elseworld story that fully embraces everything to love (that's the best thing about Morrison. He just plain loves the comic medium as a whole) about mainstream comic book incarnations Superman from wacky hijinks from the Gold and Silver Age to the idealized characterization of Superman.

I don't know any truly fantastical Spider-Man story that does that since most of his best stories are Earth 616 based (So less freedom for making your own continuity) and far more grounded.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#6 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6734 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Spider-Man Reign

I do think there have been mini-series like Spider-Man: Blue or Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid or even like Marvel Knights: Spider-Man (the one from 2013) which kinda fit into the same mold as something like All-Star Superman, though their quality obviously varies. Personally, the closest Spider-Man parallel to something like All-Star Superman in both general tone and quality would definitely be Spider-Man: Blue, though that's obviously just my opinion.

#7 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16369 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Spider-Man Reign

I do think there have been mini-series like Spider-Man: Blue or Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid or even like Marvel Knights: Spider-Man (the one from 2013) which kinda fit into the same mold as something like All-Star Superman, though their quality obviously varies. Personally, the closest Spider-Man parallel to something like All-Star Superman in both general tone and quality would definitely be Spider-Man: Blue, though that's obviously just my opinion.

Spider-Man: Blue is indeed a freaking masterpiece.

#8 Posted by ursaber (10172 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099 said:
@ursaber said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Spider-Man Reign

Spider-Man: Blue is indeed a freaking masterpiece.

I wouldn't call Blue a masterpiece. Good yes, very good, yes again. But not masterpiece.

#9 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16369 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by silent_bomber (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

As has been mentioned, Blue is probably the closest in theme and style.

This sort of format and tone is done all that often in Spider-Man for some reason.

#11 Edited by knightwriteri (741 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1'12 is a worthy candidate. The webslinger has had many hits but most of those stories are too dark to be definitive Spider-Man or too continuity heavy/involved in their era/ongoing subplots. A definitive story like All Star has to not only capture the essence and spirit of a franchise but he a good standalone read.

Oddly enough I think the prose novels are much better examples than the comics of All Star Superman style masterpieces especially The Darkest Hours and the Sinister Six trilogy

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.