Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What are your thoughts on the Spider-Man Unlimited costume itself?

ThunderWolf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What are your thoughts on the Spider-Man Unlimited costume itself? (12 votes)

Like it? 75%
    Hate it? 25%

Just the costume itself, not the show, but the costume. I keep hearing varying opinions on it so I wanted to ask just for the sake of curiosity.

No Caption Provided

Personally, with the exception of the cape, I love this costume, always have. If I were to rank Spidey's costumes, 1. is of course the classic, and the number 2 spot would of course go to the Symbiote costume, but this is my number 3, by a country mile. That said, I don't like the cape, Spidey doesn't need a cape, as far as I'm concerned this is the suit that would deserve the mechanical arms of the Iron Spider costume, or Superior Spider-Man, in place of the cape. But that's a minor change, I'd keep everything else.

What do you think?

• 
    ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

At first in my younger days I thought it was cool. But looking at it again, its ugly as hell.

Arc_Conductor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Arc_Conductor

@ursaber: It look like a villain's outfit

ThunderWolf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: It look like a villain's outfit

A villain's outfit? now that's a new one for me, I've never heard anyone call it that. Can I ask, just for the sake of curiosity, what brought you to that conclusion, I'm very curious.

(Not disagreeing, or trying to be a dink, genuine curiosity)

Arc_Conductor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderwolf86: The boots don't look too heroic as far as spider-suits are concerned and spiders on the wrists look like gauntlets that I could never imagine on a heroic spidey suit. I know the color scheme is supposed to be dark blue/red but here it's shaded like it's completely black and red.

There's something about the contrast/where the colors are placed or laid out that scream villain for me.

The logo itself and where it sits on the suit look villainous to me as well.

Even the black suit doesn't look villainous compared to this in my opinion

ThunderWolf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThunderWolf86

@arc_conductor: See, now that's very interesting because I had the exact same reaction to all the Astonishing X-Men costumes and the ones that followed:

No Caption Provided

I've never liked these costumes for the exact same reason, the colours look too villainous. very boring, basic designs with very dark, lifeless colours, they always looked too threatening to be considered heroes. Colossus was more of an exception, and Emma Frost always had her own unique look, but Cyclops, Storm, Beast, Kitty, Rogue, Nightcrawler, all were way too dark.

Even Wolverine's Astonishing outfit never worked for me, it's just a remake of his 90s outfit. it maybe doesn't look villainous, but it is easily the laziest Wolverine costume out there, and that's what gets under my skin the most.

And then they followed those up with with the New X-Men costumes which were just those stupid jackets, made it all so much worse. I feel like we haven't had decent X-Men costumes in nearly 2 decades.

Anyway getting back to this Spidey costume, I can't say that I agree even though I do see your point about the more villainous contrast, I can't see it that way myself for easily the stupidest reason possible. for me, Spider-Man has only ever looked evil when his eyes are in a darker colour.......I tried to warn you it was stupid.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Yeah, I don't know why it is this way for me, but once you start messing with Spider-Man's eyes, he starts to look more like a villain to me. I should say that these costumes aren't bad, I like them fine enough, but I always get a villainous vibe from them because of the eyes.

As for the Unlimited suit's ....I guess "accessories", like the gauntlets and boots you mentioned, I get what you're saying, in a way its like the spikes on 2099's underarms. I don't know, it just doesn't feel out of place for me there, like something Spider-Man wouldn't do, with things like his tracers and gadgets, it kinda seems to me that he would eventually make his web shooters/wrist gadgets spider themed as well.

I guess at the core of it all, this suit feels, to me, like an actual upgrade to the classic Spidey costume, that Spidey would come up with, and not Stark (and that's also very important, if I have to see yet another Stark themed Spider-Man costume I think Im going to go insane; the Iron Spider, Homecoming, Infinity War's Iron Spider, Spider-Man PS4, ugh, I'm done with all of them).

ah well to each their own, I still love you Spider-Man Unlimited costume, even though we will never see you in a 616 comic ever again.

No Caption Provided
    ThunderWolf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right, okay, I tried to fix the layout there for 20min, heck with it, I'm sure whoever reads this will get the point eventually, GYAH!

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.