Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Want To start reading Amazing Spider-Man

lou00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lou00

Hi I’m new to comics and comic vine and want to start reading Amazing Spider-Man but have no idea where to start. So where is a good place to start without reading all 600 issues and not being lost in the story and if it helps i watched the Spider-Man show in the 90's

Thanks   

Alicabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Alicabob

Kind of in the same situation as you. Loved watching spider-man as a kid (90's show) and want to start with the comics but with so many its a bit overwhelming to say the least.

lou00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lou00

Can anyone help me and Alicabob out

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Andferne
    @lou00: Are you wanting to pick up on the new stuff that is coming out and go from there. Or would you prefer starting with old stories to learn more of the characters past?
    lou00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lou00

I would prefer to pick up the new stuff but i don't want to be lost so if i have to go back a bit and start from there thats ok 

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NexusOfLight
    @lou00: Well, the generic answer is start picking up trades from the start of Brand New Day. That started at issue 546 http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-Brand-New-Vol/dp/0785128433  If you do that, you'll know everything you need to know about anything involving ol' Webhead currently. Now do you need to do that to know what's goin' on with him now? No, not at all. Y'see, each arc was pretty much just like a different episode of a TV show where one thing happened and after it was over with, something else happened that had little to nothing to do with the last thing. Sure, some recurring characters, a couple of story things that carried over, but other than that, nothin'. 

That said, if you'd want to just pick up the latest story arc, Origin of the Species, which starts at 642, and follow along from there, you could definitely do that without being too lost. You may find yourself looking up maybe one or two characters on the wiki, but I don't think there's anything at all that'll make you confused as to what's goin' on. 

If you wanna go a lil' bit further back, but not all the way to 546, I suggest pickin' up maybe the start of the Gauntlet thing, issue 611, which was pretty much Spider-man getting "reacquainted" with his rouge gallery one villain at a time. 

Yeah, it all pretty much boils down to whether or not you wanna start early or start now.
    Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#7  Edited By spider-man 2996

Start with orign of species
    Detektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Detektor

Don't start with Origin of Species, it sucks.

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NexusOfLight

Oh, and another thing. Don't listen to people who say "it sucks" or "it's awesome." Whenever you're interested in trying something, it's best to read through it yourself and make your own opinion about it.

Prims777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10  Edited By Prims777

I'd say either start with origin of species or maybe wait until Big Time starts in November

Detektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Detektor
    @NexusOfLight said:
    " Oh, and another thing. Don't listen to people who say "it sucks" or "it's awesome." Whenever you're interested in trying something, it's best to read through it yourself and make your own opinion about it. "

To clarify: 

Don't start with Origin of Species. It's based on characters whose extensive backstory you'll need to be familiar with to understand the plot, the plot consists almost entirely of Spider-Man running around and trying to escape from a number of villains with no discernible character, and the art is hands-down worst I've ever seen in a comic book. 

Grab some Straczynski trades or Millar's Marvel Knights: Spider-Man.
    Avatar image for the_angry_comic_book_critic
    The Angry Comic Book Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 6

a@lou00:
    @Alicabob: 
    I've been collecting Amazing spiderman for 3 years now and have over 550 issues dating back to 1964 and let me tell you you don't need any startingpoint I began in the mid 200's and just jumped around from that point on because until the modern age of comics you really didn't have to pick up 5 issues to get the whole story most were self contained issues and as long as you know about the key events in spiderman's history like his origin and gwen stacys death and his marriage to Mary Jane it really doesn't matter just start with and issue as far back as you can get then just bridge out in every direction of the series.
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Icon

I think Big Time, which begins this November, is a good jumping on point. That said, I agree with @The Angry Comic Book Critic that ASM is really accessible and you can practically start wherever you want. You can get The Gauntlet by collecting the recent trades if you want a relatively recent starting point, or even start from the very beginning with the Essential trades (collecting early Lee/Ditko issues) or Marvel Digital Comics and read issues from the 60s, 70s and then onward.  

Best of luck, and enjoy! 

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SlightConfuse

start with 600 and then go form there. 600 kicks off the final chapter of one more day

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Detektor said:
    " Don't start with Origin of Species, it sucks. "
    Indeed. Start with 'BIG TIME'.
    Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Detektor said:
    " Don't start with Origin of Species, it sucks. "
    Indeed. Start with 'BIG TIME'. "
    Big Time is probably a good starting point, it starts next month and is pretty much the new status quo for the foreseeable future, plus Dan Slott is writing it.
    N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By N7_Normandy

You can Start with Grim Hunt.  That started somewhere in the 630's

Avatar image for the_angry_comic_book_critic
    The Angry Comic Book Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

@InnerVenom123:  I read origin of species for one reason ever since American Son ended I was hyped as hell to see the latest abomination from the gene pool of the good old Green Goblin other then that it was a drawn out chase seen by an artist who Sucks at drawing spider-man comics Paul Aztecita  he's not god awful but his art doesn't suite Spidey Hellboy or BPRD he'd be fine but not Spidey
    lou00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lou00

Ok i think im just going to wait till Big Time starts and read from there thanks to everyone for the help

Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
    I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

If you want the best run on the character I'd say Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run. Modern stuff I'd just finish reading New Ways to Die and it's okay.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By zombietag

id say 600 is a good point. i read a lot when i was a kid and restarted at 690 and it seemed great. some of the early 600+ stink, but after 606 or so its pretty awesome. also, if you buy one of these books like The Ultimate Guide to Spider-Man they can really help a ton. that and comicvine is great for the character profiles, but watch out for spoilers!

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

Start either at the Gauntlet or Origin of Species. A new arc called Big Time is about to start soon, so you can start then too.
    blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By blur1528

Big Time is a great place to start. And yes Spider-Man stories are extremely easy to jump into no matter the number on the cover.

loganrowland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By loganrowland

<p>This Amazon list shows all the collections from issue #546 (Brand New Day) to #647 (Origin of Species). Should I just read Brand New Day and skip to Origin of Species? I'd like to read a lot but I can't exactly afford too much. Which ones between those two should I read?</p>

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-Brand-Complete-Collection/lm/R3HFGLKLR0STBN

aquafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread has been extremely informative and awesome for me as a new spidey reader. However, I am also in the same boat as the above reader. I have chosen to buy trades between brand new day and the most recent arcs, so are there recommendations for which trades in this timeline I should make sure to read and which can be skipped?

young_beamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lou00: dude i just joined comic vine and comics too and i asked the same question. i would also like to know where to start but i just ordered some key issues that should be here soon. i got some key goblin issues, shadow land, rage of the rhino and some other awesome battles.

ChocolateFrogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching the 90's cartoon won't help you except to know the names and slight back story of each character. The cartoon was pretty much it's own entity with tweeks to the characters to bring them up to date for a 90's audience. (i miss that cartoon) If you're just starting to read Spidy you'll have to start with something after the One More Day arc. Don't read the arc, it will just confuse you since it retcons previous Spidy stories. And Supiorior Spidy is Doc Ock in Peter's body so start somewhere before then I guess. Good luck, I'm gonna go find the cartoon and rewatch it.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By DH69

@muhabba said:

Watching the 90's cartoon won't help you except to know the names and slight back story of each character. The cartoon was pretty much it's own entity with tweeks to the characters to bring them up to date for a 90's audience. (i miss that cartoon) If you're just starting to read Spidy you'll have to start with something after the One More Day arc. Don't read the arc, it will just confuse you since it retcons previous Spidy stories. And Supiorior Spidy is Doc Ock in Peter's body so start somewhere before then I guess. Good luck, I'm gonna go find the cartoon and rewatch it.

lol you forgot the part where spider-man is actually able to punch people in the comics, he couldnt get away with that in the cartoon XD

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

I am so glad I realized this thread was years old before I went to post, because it made the subsequent answers make a lot more sense.

Honestly I'm a little confused why anyone looking to catch up with the modern story would even bother reading all the way back from OMD, seeing as Superior was clearly designed as a jumping on point for new Spider-Man readers. The character who led ASM for all that time is completely dead right now, so it's not exactly background for SSM.

aquafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'll be back though. They always do.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By PunyParker

Start from issue #300....Pete is married,the comics are written in a modern -like today-way,so you dont get bored by reading 60s and 70s dialog......and as i understand you know some villians and generaly Spider-Man from the series most of the villians are introduced,but in #300 you find the first Venom appearance,so its preety exciting!

Mikail174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also want to start reading spider man and i want to witness the gwen stacy death and when peter gets together with mary jane etc but i dont want to read AAALLL the issues of amazing spider man so can you tell me where to start and how many issues to skip and so on?

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By spider11211

Why do you not want to read them all?

You can get the essentials and they are not expensive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mikail174 said:

I also want to start reading spider man and i want to witness the gwen stacy death and when peter gets together with mary jane etc but i dont want to read AAALLL the issues of amazing spider man so can you tell me where to start and how many issues to skip and so on?

Keep in mind that Peter and Mary Jane split a lot before they finally get married. I recommend getting Essential Spider-Man volumes two, three, and six. I recommend volumes two and three because they introduce Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane, as well as the development in Peter and Gwen's relationship. Volume six includes The Death of Gwen Stacy. Near the end of that volume, Peter and Mary Jane start dating. After that, if you want to see Mary Jane find out that Peter is Spider-Man, pick up the Birth of Venom trade paperback. Included in that book are issues #257-258, where Mary Jane finds out Peter is Spider-Man. After that, they date on-and-off.

Sploorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im also looking to start reading spiderman but from the begginning, is there like some sort of "volumes" all the way to where the spider is now?

HollowMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HollowMode

Well I liked Spider-man since the first movie of the raimy trilogy came out , I was like 6-7 y/o back then...Bue I had never read a comic until a while ago, because Spider-man was always my favorite hero from cartoons and everything I decided to try his comic.
    Looked it up on the internet and people said I should start from civil war , but I was afraid I was gonna be lost so I started like 10 numbers before..
    Then after I reached the current number I just went back and started from TASM #1 and read all of it until the part I had read already... This was like 5 years ago. Glad I did , Spidey is the best super hero ever

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
    rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

I'd say Return of the Sinister Six

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.