Tobey Maguire vs Andrew Garfield vs Tom Holland

• 134 results
Posted by kcomicfan (4690 posts) 3 years, 9 days ago

Poll: Tobey Maguire vs Andrew Garfield vs Tom Holland (226 votes)

Tobey Maguire 37%
Andrew Garfield 20%
Tom Holland 42%

Who played the best Spider-Man/Peter Parker?

No Caption Provided

#101 Posted by MacDio (113 posts) - - Show Bio

None has been that great, but Tom Holland has the most potential to be great. But he hasn't yet, so I voted Tobey.

#102 Edited by BJParks (592 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: I really liked the TASM films (mainly because of Garfield and Garfield/Stone), but Holland is closer to teen Peter in the comics so far. But, I want to see how he does as college/adult Peter before I make my final judgement. So, for now, Garfield & Holland over Maguire, even though Maguire was the OG movie Spider-Man.

On a side note. I loved TASM 2, but they could easily have fixed major plot holes to create moving motivations for the characters!

For example, instead of Spider-Man's "I can't give you my blood," Spider-Man could have given him his blood. Oscorp runs tests on it, but (as they explained via Richard Parker's tapes), the spider-serum was only compatible on the Parker bloodline. As a result, they run the tests, and find they might be able to make a serum for Osborn, but the current serum is too dangerous.

Harry wants to take the beta serum right away, but Spider-Man tries to stop him. Harry yells at him, and Peter unmasks (they might as well, it's not like he was keeping it secret anyway lol), and tells him he's his best friend, and there's no telling what it might do.

Harry still takes it, either already angry, or having the Gobulin warp his mind, and then they fight.

Boom. Simple fix, with greater emotional stakes.

#103 Posted by Blackdog2009 (3756 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield

you're all hypocrites. when Garfield came out he was the best and Maguire sucked (according to all of you) .

now that that little twerp (Holland) did a few flips and made you giggle as he played second fiddle to RDJ in that horrible Civil War movie, "oh, he's the best" .

#104 Posted by Aimless (2047 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly Holland came off as too annoying for me to swallow.The whole 15 year old boy making jokes and fanboying over super heroes seemed so forced and exaggerated

#105 Edited by LlehDevil (7259 posts) - - Show Bio

Maguire nailed-ish the awkwardness and reserved version of a younger Peter Parker with poor scripts and awkward scenes.

Garfield mostly nailed the smarts, humor, looking-for-danger part of the Parker personality, and extroverted-ness of Peter Parker with a poor script for TASM and TASM 2. So Garfield wins.

Both were good in emotional aspects.

Can't judge Holland yet, but so far, he's far from bad.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#106 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17641 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Parker

Tobey Maguire: Hollywood nerd with absolutely no appeal or quirkiness in all three movies. The writers (and Maguire to an extent) did a terrible job convincing me that this is a guy who would dress up in a Spider suit.

Garfield:

• TASM1: Awesome portrayal of Peter Parker. Realistic nerdy and awkward, but also quirky and endearing.
  • TASM2: Meh. Too confident for my liking. Some parts he had right on, though.

Holland: Very little of his Peter, but what I say in Civil War was, for the most part, convincing. I'm surprised he didn't geek out more at the sight of Tony freakin' Stark at his house though, but everything else was impressive.

Winner: Garfield in TASM1 was near perfect. But I'm almost certain Tom Holland will be just as good, if not better, by the time we see Homecoming. So, Garfield > Holland > Tobey.

Spider-Man

Tobey Maguire: Just the worst. The quips were rarely there, and those that were fell flat. The only funny one was "that's a cute outfit, did your husband give it to you?"

Garfield:

• TASM1: Decent, but honestly forced and inconsistent.
  • TASM2: Near perfect. Like he leapt off the pages.

Holland: Absolutely perfect. Spidey come to life, IMO.

Winner: Holland > Garfield > Tobey.

Overall, by the time Holland's run of the character is over, I think we'll have the definitive live action PP/SM, but Garfield still proved that with the right script, he could do a great job with both persona's. He's gotten older though and I'm glad to see him doing other roles.

#107 Posted by RBT (28511 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of three, Garfield is the best actor and best Peter. I am probably the only one who likes Holland least so far.

#108 Posted by Rock_Hard (275 posts) - - Show Bio

Holand. The other two were not that good.

#109 Posted by Pokeysteve (12020 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt:

You aren't. Holland's Pete has his head too far up Stark's ass for my liking.

#110 Posted by Vamshi2407 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Its Tobey Maguire for me whereas Garfield and Tom Holland are looking some over smart on screen but Tobey is quite brilliant and he involved in the character and make us believe that he is spidey forever. While coming to both recent spidey s they all doing shit just some overaction on screen. Tobey can look like a nerd where other two can't. Tobey Tobey is real spidey forever. Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland are over acting and shit executors sorry to say but its true because I analysed spider man series and as a common audience I felt Tobey Maguire is real spider man.

Thanking you for the opportunity to let me vote its Tobey Maguire

Thanking you

Vamshi Krishna

#111 Posted by Shadow411 (930 posts) - - Show Bio

Felt like Holland was a 12 year old, so not really him. He did really good, but haven't seen much of him and I think (Going on a limb here) the Russo brothers pushed the kiddish acting so audience would understand that he is "Just a kid"?? So I'm not gonna judge too harshly on him with only 10 mins of screen time.

Maguire acted too serious and the humor wasn't really there. (Not like I would depict a teenager with incredible power to act).

But I felt like Garfield nailed it as Peter and Spidey. He was serious, but honestly, (He's a teenager that can time bullets, why would he take fights overly seriously?? Lol). But he does get serious when he needs to, savagely hunting the man that killed his uncle, and trying to save Gwen. Another thing I liked was, most teens have raging emotions in whatever direction, which I felt he captured flawlessly. That's what I didn't like about Tobey, outside the 3rd movie, he was really mellow (In all emotions, acted more like an older man, not someone in highschool or just after highschool). Holland acts happy ALL the time, more like a kid. That's why I don't like him as much.

Yes, there's spots that I felt like Garfield was too serious or too quirky, but for the VAST majority of the films, he NAILED it. And there were parts of maguire that were flawlessly done. But as a whole and beginning to end of each film, I felt like Garfield was the best. Not gonna comment much on Holland til this weekend.

#112 Posted by Combo-Man (248 posts) - - Show Bio

Nicholas Hammond.

#113 Posted by MainJP (6153 posts) - - Show Bio

Holland.

#114 Posted by The_Valeyard (736 posts) - - Show Bio

Just watched Homecoming, Holland did great as both Peter and Spidey

#115 Posted by titing2101 (1306 posts) - - Show Bio

For being spidey, i really liked Andrew, for me it is how i imagined how spidey is. how garfields voice fits spidey comics for me, he is thin/slim which how is spidey i think is, the costume that is from the comics in ASM 2 . i just really didnt like his peter parker not being to "nerdy" for me.

dont like tobey at all,

so for now

As Spiderman - garfield

As Peter - Tom

#116 Edited by g2_ (11626 posts) - - Show Bio

Holland.

#117 Posted by g2_ (11626 posts) - - Show Bio

Nicholas Hammond.

Poor guy, he was forgotten.

#118 Posted by titing2101 (1306 posts) - - Show Bio

Just watched homecoming and still for me Garfield is still the best Spiderman. TASM 2.yeah his peter was not on point because of the skater dude persona. But his spiderman was on point.

As for Tom, i didnt really like or hate but he is ok. Just didnyrlike the fanboyism of his,and how he was relying on stark tech. Well he is still a kid, maybe he would develop .

Thats for me. Best spidey garfield

#119 Posted by Combatt (658 posts) - - Show Bio

Just saw Homecoming

Spidertom has no spidersense and spidercommon sense

#120 Posted by jayc1324 (26431 posts) - - Show Bio

They're all good but I did not like Garfield's Peter (he was too cool) and Holland just kind of overdid it in terms of how childish Peter was. Tobey was the best

#121 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey is still the best, IMO.

The acting made him more believable as a loser and nerd than Holland's portrayal. So, when he saved the day and finally got the girl, you cheered for the guy. Also, he seemed smarter and more knowledgable about science thanks to consistencies in the dialogue. It's the nuances of the character that really does it. Tobey's Peter just beams a sense of kind hearted and pure good that makes him memorable. What, because he doesn't crack some jokes, that makes him the worst?

Holland was still great. He was like Maguire in a sense that he's vulnerable, awkward, and makes mistakes, but he didn't pull it off quite like Tobey did. Holland's Peter was more a hipster geek, so he was still kinda cool. He had some friends, his "Bully" wasn't much of one, and Liz already liked him. Peter never had to work to get the girl. All he had to do was ask her to the Dance and she said yes.

I feel bad for Garfield because I like the actor a lot, but his Peter just didn't resonate with me. Like the post above me said, he was too cool and his Spider-Man was hit-and-miss at times.

#122 Edited by coldone (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan of Holland. He's so... annoying, constantly spitting out unfunny jokes and acting childishly. His humour just feels forced.

#123 Posted by Invain (5148 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom Holand was pretty good, but he is still too young to be the ideal Spider-Man for me. Maybe in a few years that will change.

#124 Posted by Thesenate (701 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey

Garfield

Holland

I prefer older Peter 11 times out of 10.

"High school is such a serious thing...these problems matter"...

#125 Posted by MsSelene (518 posts) - - Show Bio

Holland was still great. He was like Maguire in a sense that he's vulnerable, awkward, and makes mistakes, but he didn't pull it off quite like Tobey did. Holland's Peter was more a hipster geek, so he was still kinda cool. He had some friends, his "Bully" wasn't much of one, and Liz already liked him. Peter never had to work to get the girl. All he had to do was ask her to the Dance and she said yes.

I agree about the bully being bad, but I thought Holland was a good adaption from Ultimate Spider-Man. In those comics, it was actually Mary Jane who originally asked Peter out.

#126 Edited by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

@msselene said:
@peterparkerjr said:

I agree about the bully being bad, but I thought Holland was a good adaption from Ultimate Spider-Man. In those comics, it was actually Mary Jane who originally asked Peter out.

My problem is that, it was all too easy for him. He didn't have it rough, and show how his strength of character deals with that sort of stuff. I also didn't like "MJ" either.

#127 Posted by MsSelene (518 posts) - - Show Bio

@msselene said:
@peterparkerjr said:

My problem is that, it was all too easy for him. He didn't have it rough, and show how his strength of character deals with that sort of stuff. I also didn't like "MJ" either.

I understand that. In Ultimate Spider-Man Peter still had it insanely rough. Even though getting the girlfriend was easy in that universe, keeping the girl, and all other aspects of his life, was very rough.

I did enjoy the movie, but it kind of felt like it was a filler story. I didn't really like how wanting to be an avenger was his whole character arc. It felt like it dove straight into a Marvel universe story, when it should of focused more on telling a Spider-Man story. But at the same time, it is understandable why they did that. I do still think this Spider-Man has a lot of potential tho.

#128 Edited by keshav jha (450 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Maguire- As Peter Parker:8/10

As Spiderman:6/10

Overall score:7/10

Andrew Garfield- As Peter Parker:4/10

As Spiderman:9/10

Overall score:6.5/10

Tom Holland- As Peter Parker:7/10

As Spiderman:7/10

Overall score:7/10

Result:Tie between Tobey and Tom but the best Spiderman is Andrew Russell Garfield.

#129 Edited by Gronkh (4 posts) - - Show Bio

In my personal opinion, Holland didn't play the character fairly well as he supposed to. I mean, yeah he was a good laugh, made jokes and all that, but that after, like, 20 minutes of the film, he got me annoyed and let me just talk about his friends and the girl he loved.. oh boy. even Flash was a genius nerd but hated Peter because he just wanted to get the attention of the nerd club. gosh such a bad combination. I mean overall the film was terrible. I hate it. I thought it was lame. Let's move on to Tobey's trilogy, I did like every single of them but didn't like Tobey as well. lol, he was just too emotional and didn't do anything. His relationship with people was always terrible. I mean okay, Peter, as a character, himself is a nerdboy, doesn't talk to people that much, but Tobey's character should have been more social because he had even got a job in Daily Bugle. But I did like almost everything about TASM and TASM2 (except the villains. they're sucked up in either of the films) Andrew did fit the role perfectly fine, he was also a good laugh but also knew the responsibilities of his life, trying to take care of his aunt and protect Gwen.. and was a good spidey also, like his battle scenes and all that.. I just felt like that guy, was the Spider man that I had known from the comics. Basically, to sum up, I go for Andrew

#130 Posted by keshav jha (450 posts) - - Show Bio

@gronkh: Garfield was the best Spider man,though he was a horrible Peter Parker.

Avatar image for observcreatsoul
#131 Posted by ObservCreatSoul (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright. Tobey Maguire, clearly, had the best material to work with (SM1-2 with its heavy inspirations from Lee/Ditko/Romita Sr. eras, not to mention the fact that Sam Raimi was a huge fan of the hero and his rich history in comics), and as an actor, Tobey really shines and creates something undoubtedly special when he is exploring deep, delicate, more private, human moments of Pete's unstable and chaotic life (look at his eyes, gestures, elegant movements; with him it was always a successful blend of drama with good humor, even though his Spider-Man is not as quippy as some of us wanted him to be, but that's just minor nitpicking, really), but after the mess that is SM3 and a couple of neat small indies that went unnoticed by the majority of general audience, his career sort of went nowhere.

Andrew Garfield is the best, most experienced (he was always a powerful stage performer, first and foremost, and that in itself creates a very magnetic aura around his presence both off-screen and on screen) and he also happens to be the most professional actor out of the 'big three' (just take a look at his impressive resume: https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20819284_678003329077007_568592437644625466_o.jpg?oh=dd908859e640d9759dbd8e864b8903b7&oe=5A28E8A1 and his pre/post-ASM works where he gets to tackle some truly exquisite, multilayered, nuanced and intricate characters; unfortunately, as it sometimes happens in this strange life, despite being an avid fan of Spider-Man from the age of 3 and loving the hell out of John Semper's 90's TAS and Todd McFarlane's "Torment" (one of his favorite arcs, as he once told me), he just got dealt a bad hand with all the meddling caused by Avi Arad, Amy Pascal and Matt Tolmach).

And Tom Holland doesn't know how to act at all (he is almost like Henry Cavill's rendition of Superman in DCEU with his special 'wooden acting chops' showcase) and has a slightly annoying, unsympathetic, irritating face that is, despite his youthful age, is devoid of any decent human expression or emotion. Failed to make an impression on me in both CA: CW and SM:H flicks (I am sorry, but I simply cannot bring myself to call them good motion pictures with CGI, VFX graphics and corporate control that entirely overshadows good storytelling and good character development). Maybe he is going to be really good at playing bad guys, once he gets older and gains more experience (something that is highly desired of him, based on the notion that the guy bought himself a big, expensive house in L.A. without really breaking a sweat with any of his former/present roles and proving that he is worthy of it all: the kid seriously needs to toughen up and to start doing more research/investigation into what is needed of him, instead of spending most of his time on Instagram and doing the same ol' flips again and again), but for now... this kid just doesn't have the charisma or the right talent to create a captivating and enigmatic portrayal of a young Pete Parker/Spidey on the big screen.

I made 2 videos recently where I tackled some of the themes that have been discussed by various users in this thread:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#132 Posted by Thedarkking25 (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield of the better spiderman, too bad he's underrated as hell he would worked so well in civil war his spiderman reminds me of Ryans deadpool jesus just imagine a movie about Garfield spider man and deadpool metting

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
#133 Edited by WolverineBatmanFTW (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

Holland is probably the most accurate but I grew up loving the Raimi trilogy so I gotta go with Maguire.

#134 Edited by saymon3000 (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Maguire easily

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.