Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Superior Spider-man Sales Figures & Chart v2

• 94 results
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

This is a second attempt to setup a place to show the sales figures of Superior Spider-man 1-present, unfortunately my first attempt resulted in people having a verbal sparing match, which ended with @g_man having to lock it up in order to put a stop to it.

SO I would like to ask everyone to try and keep things to a dull roar, because if @g_man has to intervene again, I WILL NOT repeat this topic a 3rd time.

http://www.animehunt.com/ssmsales.jpg

http://www.animehunt.com/ssmsalesc.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.animehunt.com/fp.jpg

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

sucks that the other thread got locked

anyway

it still appears to me that it's just evening out and doesn't appear to be any massive dips or anything that would indicate that the book is suffering....a lot of the times you can see why there are these little drops...Superman Unchained and Batman Zero Year are doing exceptionally well and could possibly be taking sales from other books...Guardians of the Galaxy seems to be the only Marvel ongoing that is doing better than Superior which I would say is because of the movie coming up....80k an issue for a bimonthly book is still really good and better than what Amazing was doing ....just think where it would be if it weren't for people being turned off because of it's bimonthly sales

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well it's interesting to see the sales. And it does suck that the other thread got locked. But at least it's doing well, but it sure isn't doing fantastic like issue 1 did.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jasonhawke

So it's been pretty steady so far and compared to the other marvel comic sales it's still good.

Money money money!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it's interesting to see the sales. And it does suck that the other thread got locked. But at least it's doing well, but it sure isn't doing fantastic like issue 1 did.

no book could sustain that kind of sales over multiple issues...the only reason that the first issue did so well was because of the hype, it was a first issue, and it was a Spider-man first issue...it's only natural for the sales to decline to a steady number after that

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ninjablade09 said:

no book could sustain that kind of sales over multiple issues...the only reason that the first issue did so well was because of the hype, it was a first issue, and it was a Spider-man first issue...it's only natural for the sales to decline to a steady number after that

That's true. Guess you would have to be a magician to be able to keep sales up that much for a long period of time, or a really good writer.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@animehunter: Admit it....you just want Dan Slott to invade the topic again. :P

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is info on 13 and 14 now.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PunyParker

Kids today.....no respect for the publisher or the writer.....how can you say that! :P

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211 said:

Kids today.....no respect for the publisher or the writer.....how can you say that! :P

Good one!

I appreciated the post :(

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:
    @spider11211 said:

Good one!

Why the sad face,what did i do?!!

I love you!

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By spider11211

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:
    @spider11211 said:

Good one!

I love you!

I just wanted to show the author that I was not trying to be a jerk.

I am also in a bit of a crappy mood, my brother is in the hospital again "he is only a year older than me and he has another blood clot". He has already had 5 strokes and he is in good shape.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah. Why did so many people just buy the first issue of each series? I certainly hope they didn't just give it a one issue trial and if it didn't wow them right away they dropped it.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By spider11211

Many people collect first issues.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:
    @spider11211 said:

Good one!

I love you!

I am also in a bit of a crappy mood, my brother is in the hospital again "he is only a year older than me and he has another blood clot". He has already had 5 strokes and he is in good shape.

No Caption Provided

Good Lord.....I wish all the best,man...Him to get healthy quickly and you stay strong.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PunyParker

Woah. Why did so many people just buy the first issue of each series? I certainly hope they didn't just give it a one issue trial and if it didn't wow them right away they dropped it.

SSM #1 i understand.....it had a lot of interest.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spider11211

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:
    @spider11211 said:

Good one!

I love you!

No Caption Provided

Good Lord.....I wish all the best,man...Him to get healthy quickly and you stay strong.

Thank you, that was mighty kind.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:
    @spider11211 said:

Good one!

I love you!

No Caption Provided

Thank you, that was mighty kind.

Anytime bro!

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By spinningbirdcake

@punyparker: Sure it did. I guess I just don't understand how so much of that interest is gone after the first issue. Give it at least a few issues. If i find myself saying I'm only going to give a title one issue to impress me it's kind of evidence that I don't really want to read the title at all.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Sure it did. I guess I just don't understand how so much of that interest is gone after the first issue. Give it at least a few issues. If i find myself saying I'm only going to give a title one issue to impress me it's kind of evidence that I don't really want to read the title at all.

Then STOP man STOP!

:)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're right,what can i say.....for example i gave #10 to impress me....nah.Besides it's the internet....if i want,i can find the plot and keep up with it,without spending my money on something i dissagree with.

tigerex78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While the sales figures are interesting, I think it would be more effective to compare Superior Spider-man sales with the sales of Amazing Spider-man, possibly from the big time arc. That way we could compare apples to apples and see how each measures up.

ZenTzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZenTzen

While the sales figures are interesting, I think it would be more effective to compare Superior Spider-man sales with the sales of Amazing Spider-man, possibly from the big time arc. That way we could compare apples to apples and see how each measures up.

Amazing was doing a lot better than superior

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zentzen: *cough*

Amazing has 700 issues versus Superior's 15.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah......in that we agree.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By spider11211

@jasonhawke said:

And it should stay that way.

BTW: Brother got out of the hospital today (he is living with me and my family now so that we can help take care of him).

I took my son to get his picture taken with Thor and Spider-man (not that ock crap) yesterday!

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

81 thousand people are still stupid.

Nice to see that New Avengers is dropping off. Now to see the same drop off in Avengers and I'd possibly smile.

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DanSlott

@zentzen said:

@tigerex78 said:

Amazing was doing a lot better than superior

Nope.

From the most recent monthly Mayo Report at Comic Book Resources:

"An example of that near the top of the chart is "Superior Spider-Man" which took two of the top ten slots. "Superior Spider-Man" is sustaining sales about 20,000 units higher than "Amazing Spider-Man" has over the past few years. Likewise, the companion title "Superior Spider-Man Team Up" launched as a top ten title in July. This radical approach to Spider-Man is working and there seems to be no sales reason for Marvel to bring back Peter Parker anytime soon."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47287

@danhimself said:
    Guardians of the Galaxy seems to be the only Marvel ongoing that is doing better than Superior which I would say is because of the movie coming up....80k an issue for a bimonthly book is still really good and better than what Amazing was doing ....just think where it would be if it weren't for people being turned off because of it's bimonthly sales

Actually, the bump up in GOTG is probably because of its ties to THE AGE OF ULTRON event, along with the introduction of Angela (originally from Spawn and IMAGE comics) into the Marvel Universe. And the additional involvement of comic legend Neil Gaiman, who helped out for the issue. As well as the upcoming movie. ;-)

Side note: The twice a month sales might actually HELP the book instead of hurt it. There's one school of thought that consumers are attracted to more frequent content in a title OVER their concerns of spending money more frequently. In some cases, regularly increased shipping can be a factor in stemming a title's attrition. There are some trends in the market that seem counter-intuitive at first glance, but start making more sense when you see them in action.

@fadetoblackbolt said:

81 thousand people are still stupid.

Nice to see that New Avengers is dropping off. Now to see the same drop off in Avengers and I'd possibly smile.

I will never understand this line of thinking. Why take pleasure in something you don't like failing? Why not spend more time promoting things you enjoy? Or, in other words...

Loading Video...

Last note...

Sorry to hear about the poster's brother in hospital. Hope they get better soon.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: Post #7 ......i called it!! :)

And also,the solicitations say Miles is coming to MU........will you write him?....(it's a trick question.)

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To everyone

Now that Mr. Slott has joined the topic, I would like all of us as I mentioned above, to try and keep things to a dull roar, because if @g_man has to intervene again, I WILL NOT repeat this topic a 3rd time.

Thank you for time.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: Thank you for the kind comment about my brother. He was close to stroke number 6.

Darkseid011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Good info!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PunyParker

I've updated the sales figures above

Issue 15- 78,636

Issue 16- 78,087

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PunyParker

@animehunter said:

Issue 19- 85,313

Issue 20- 83,675

Oh Hell!!...

20 sold less than #19 ??....wow.....i mean,yeah,practically #19 has more to offer,but Marvel,and mr.Slott,advertised #20 as groundbraking.....

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DanSlott
    @punyparker said:

@animehunter said:

Issue 19- 85,313

Issue 20- 83,675

Oh Hell!!...

20 sold less than #19 ??....wow.....i mean,yeah,practically #19 has more to offer,but Marvel,and mr.Slott,advertised #20 as groundbraking.....

You have the numbers flipped.

Your numbers for 20 are the numbers for 19.

And your numbers for 19 are the numbers for 20.

(I've been known to point out that when people argue about the numbers that these are NOT sales. They're orders. And technically, they're not even orders, they're inaccurate sales estimates based on incomplete information. The actual numbers are ALWAYS higher. And I'm pointing that out again, even now when the estimates are in my book's favor.)

But two things remain inarguable:

Both issues (again) placed in the Top 10. And sales, on the whole, are going up-- for a title that is already performing very well for Marvel.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By animehunter

@danslott:

oops, sorry about that

Correction made

Issue 19- 83,675

Issue 20- 85,313

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No SSM 21 sale? I thought it was "confirmed" Nov. 6

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No SSM 21 sale? I thought it was "confirmed" Nov. 6

It's out tomorrow 13th Nov. and if it did get released on the 6th, November sales figures wouldn't be out until next month.

Avatar image for noteworthington
    Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Know what would be more impressive than charts?

Being able to elucidate a reason for constructing them, or what the OP intends for readers to glean from them.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@danslott: Exactly. It's ok not to like things. We don't like it. Lots of us, mr. Slott. Sometimes, you're so troll-ish! Shame on you, fellow whovian!!!

:)

gridde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: Do you think it's a coincidence that sales are going up in the issues that indicate Peter is coming back?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol at the numbers for Mighty Avengers

I imagine that it went something like this

issue one: "YAY A NEW AVENGERS BOOK!!!!!!"

issue two: "Greg Land's art is horrible...dropped"

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, animehunter. Here's a thought...

What if you added these numbers, to give the graph more weight:

The sales for the 3 issue DYING WISH arc which preceded SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN (ASM #698, #699, and #700).

AND the sales for the 5 standard AMAZING SPIDER-MAN issues before that (ASM #693 - #697).

That would put into context how ASM was selling before DYING WISH & SUPERIOR (while dodging the high outlier number from the 50th Anniversary issue, #692).

Avatar image for concernedspiderfan
    ConcernedSpiderFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I apologize animehunter for the heat its drawn.

@danslott Such a waste. Dan you know better than me you know a hundred times better than me and I've said that. I don't agree with the sales conspiracy theories nor the figures they give which is why I gave a lower estimate to the drop. I've said many times that you are the best thing to happen to the book since that dreadful storyline, that I want you to succeed and write for as long as you want even if it is Superior. I brought up how much OMD hurt me in the sales thread because I didn't want to hide my feelings for it even though I still believe there was a little shiftiness I wouldn't want to hurt Marvel by lying about sales. I wanted to spout what little I knew about the topic on a sales thread. I'm not angry with you I stopped that a month ago right now there are two people on earth that I consider worth my anger and not much of that either.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

hmmmm...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.