Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man Reboot: Must-Haves

• 121 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Peter Parker is back at Marvel Studios. Well, kind of. As you more than likely heard by now, Sony and Marvel Studios have agreed to share the iconic hero. A new Spider-Man (which means a new actor and yes, it's still Peter Parker wearing the mask) will make his debut in a Marvel Studios movie, and then his solo projects (and possible spin-off movies) will be released by Sony. Those movies will be able to have cameos by Marvel Cinematic Universe characters and upcoming Marvel Studios movies can use Spidey as a cameo. Think about Spider-Man and Captain America taking on the Sinister Six. Or Spider-Man getting into a witty debate with Iron Man. Makes you all kinds of happy, doesn't it? Obviously, this is a big deal and it's one that's unlikely to happen with Fox in the near future because X-Men: Days of Future Past was a huge success for the studio. Maybe one day Wolverine and the rest of them will return to Marvel Studios, but that won't be soon, so for now, let's talk about Spider-Man's future in the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

No Caption Provided

After the Sony leak, just about everyone feels confident Spider-Man will make his first appearance in Captain America: Civil War. Will it be heavily inspired by the source material and the webhead will play a key role in the struggle between Iron Man and Captain America? We'll just have to wait to find out, but it seems safe to say this movie is going to be just loosely inspired by the comic event. While they'll do everything they can to celebrate Parker's first appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there's a few points making me feel like his role may not be as critical in the story as many of us are thinking it'll be.

This is Captain America's third movie, after all. It needs to deal with his supporting characters and villains (Black Widow, Falcon, Winter Soldier, Baron Zemo), focus on a huge conflict with Tony Stark, and this is apparently the movie that'll introduce T'Challa, a.k.a. Black Panther. Civil War already has a lot on its plate, doesn't it? Can they work in the wall-crawler and give him a memorable debut? Absolutely, but I'm left feeling skeptical that the narrative will depend on his role. And you know what? That's perfectly fine. Spider-Man coming to the Marvel Cinematic Universe is incredibly exciting, but he shouldn't be stealing Cap's spotlight while making his entrance.

No Caption Provided

Even if you enjoyed Sony's recent Spider-Man movies, you have to admit it felt like the studio was playing it very safe with them. All in all, they were fun but very familiar. Leaping back into the hero's origin story and then attempting to make it more complex (without making it more compelling) was a big mistake and it's one that they need to avoid making again. Sure, Peter Parker becomes a great hero because of his experiences, but that isn't something we need to see all over again. When Spider-Man does get his new solo movie, it can't revolve around his origin story. If it does, that would make it the third time we're witnessing a movie about Spidey's earlier years in less than two decades. Enough is enough; we're not talking about a lesser-known hero. Instead, do what The Incredible Hulkdid: recap the lead's origin in the opening. It's a story a huge amount of moviegoers are familiar with and there really is no need to take yet another extended look at it or complicate it. Covering the basics during the opening credits is fine and then we can move forward with something new and refreshing. We don't want to see how Peter Parker becomes Spider-Man all over again. We want to see a guy who does whatever a spider can. (Sorry, couldn't resist that one.)

The upcoming Spider-Man movie needs to keep it fun and embrace the hero. It should make us smile as we watch him flip across the rooftops and web-sling throughout the city. It should make us laugh as he cracks solid jokes during his encounters and it should be heartfelt as it deals with whoever his love interest may be. We've seen that adding too much to his story can make things convoluted and we've seen how rushed things can be when they desperately want to incorporate classic moments. Spider-Man's return needs to be something that'll make us laugh, cheer, and walk out of the theater feeling happy and thinking optimistically about what the next Spidey adventure will offer. Marvel Studios' focus on making audiences laugh sometimes gets in the way of a movie's tone, but that shouldn't be an issue with Spider-Man. A good Spidey movie needs to be funny and compelling. I have no reason to believe they can't accomplish that if they race past the origin and focus on Peter Parker already being a hero in New York.

No Caption Provided

We need a new villain. Make it clear or at least imply characters like Doctor Octopus, Venom, Green Goblin, Sandman and everyone else are still out there and we can look forward to a new take on each of them eventually, but give us something new and something captivating. Focus on one villain who has depth and can test Spidey's mental and physical capabilities. If they really want to, they can throw us a bone by having Spider-Man briefly stop a robbery that's being executed by someone like Shocker or Scorpion. That way it's not focusing on multiple villains; just offering one for a fun action scene and showing us they're out there and there could one day be a bigger story with them. As for who they could use as the main antagonist, I've been pretty vocal about Kraven the Hunter. If they skip an extended origin story, that means Spider-Man's already experienced, earned a following and he's doing what he does best. So, it's only natural that would attract the attention of a guy who is obsessed with taking down the biggest physical challenges the world has to offer. Focusing only on Spider-Man's story and Kraven's mission (while loosely teasing other characters and elements) would give them a great opportunity to give the hero and the villain more depth. "But it's too soon to kill Spider-Man!" Spider-Man wouldn't die (read the comic!), but to have him suffer that kind of a defeat and face that kind of villain would be a completely new -- and unexpected -- experience for many people. It can still be a blast and still offer just enough material to give the story more weight and a more powerful theme. I'd rather have one great story with Kraven than keeping him around just so he can keep losing with his fellow villains in the Sinister Six. There's certainly plenty of rogues out there who could fill his spot on the team. As for the demands for Carnage, that could be cool but it needs more buildup because of his origin. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll get there eventually. But hey, maybe they'll come out of the gate swinging and bring that dude out first. Who knows? All that really matters is whether they use the villain they choose well.

The main story shouldn't be crowded, but the world it takes place in most definitely should be. Embrace the bigger universe by unleashing a flood of easter eggs and teasers. You can tease the cinematic future without having it weigh down the narrative. Make us pay attention and generate a whole lot of blink-and-you'll-miss-it moments. It is possible to show all of the possibilities this world has without having it cut into the story and feeling forced! "Was that the guy who will become Prowler one day and was that a possible Silver Sable nod? Wait, did they just say Hammerhead's running a criminal organization? Did they seriously just tease the possibility of a team-up with Daredevil?" Spider-Man has a crowded mythos and the Marvel Cinematic Universe is an evergrowing place. This should be a movie that tells a satisfying story while also making us beyond thrilled about what the sequel may offer. That's not really asking too much, is it?

Photo credit: Peyton Reed (@MrPeytonReed)
    Photo credit: Peyton Reed (@MrPeytonReed)

Even though I enjoy the recent recent Spider-Man movies (yes, they're flawed but I think they're still entertaining!), Sony and Marvel Studios agreeing to share Spider-Man and his big world is terrific news. This is the chance to finally give us something new! We've seen Parker's origin and we've seen a slow expansion of his world, but this now gives us the chance to see Parker being thrown into a bigger universe and interacting with different heroes and villains on the big screen. Hopefully they've taken notice of what has and hasn't worked with the previous projects (e.g. unnecessary changes to origin; unfocused and crowded stories). Marvel Studios sure knows how to make movies cheerworthy and fun for viewers of any age and that's something that'll work especially well with Peter Parker. Now, the expansion of Parker's story and his supporting characters and villains are going to get the spotlight they deserve. Plus, the thought of this iconic hero interacting with the characters already in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is simply awesome. Welcome home, Spidey. Now we just have to wait and see who's cast as the new Spider-Man. Brace yourself for a flood of speculation and rumors until we receive the official word!

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By justice teen

Combine Tobey Maguire Peter parker with Andrew Garfield Spider-man and you got a great movie. Adding black-cat would be a plus.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Strider1992

I'm a bit too psyched to think straight atm i'll come back later after i've finished celebrating!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

A University age Spider-Man and Mysterio as a villian is a good way to go imo

TobyGoodman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Slyde. The villain should be slyde. There is no argument that can make me think otherwise.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 k4tzm4n  Moderator

A University age Spider-Man and Mysterio as a villian is a good way to go imo

Mysterio would also be a great choice!

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MAZAHS117

Pretty much agree with everything here.

I'm all for a Spidey cameo in Civil War, so long as it doesn't take away from Cap and the introduction of T'Challa

I can't sit thru yet another origin movie for Spider-Man, they should hit us with a Peter Parker fresh out of college...no more high school drama.

...and YES to Kraven the Hunter as the villain of his new solo movie!

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much agree with all of that. Kraven is my number 1 villain to see as well and would pretty much guarantee I go to the theatre even though I'm not excited about this reboot.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope to God that they skip the origin story. Tell the important bits in flashbacks if need be, or Incredible Hulk it during the opening credits, but it would be bananas to have to sit through that story for a third time in less than 15 years.

Losing Andrew Garfield as Peter is a bummer (I liked him in that role a lot).

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As I said in the other announcement, I'm glad Sony is involved since I was worried that adding Spidey would mean they wouldn't be able to concentrate on as much Marvel characters.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I have more to post later, but @k4tzm4n I swear you stole my Incredible Hulk opening credits montage idea. I literally just told some people about that idea this morning in a PM haha.

TheGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but Andrew was a perfect wise-crack :(

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
    deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WOOO!! WOOO!!!

n25philly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it even need to be a full reboot? Cast someone a bit older as Spiderman and you could say it's a 5-10 years after the last one. Maybe start with a minor confrontation like mentioned and make it like they have faced each other a number of times. Maybe even start it off with Rhino since that is how the last one ended. That could keep the last couple of movies from being a waste and prevents having to retell the origin at all. They could still shed the baggage of the last movies as it could just be stated that he figured out the stuff with his parents/got over gwen's death in the gap between movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

An out of shape and retired Spider-Man (played by Jona Hill) gets recruited by Tony Stark to help him fight Captain America

There, you have a millionaire idea

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dark_Stranger

It'd be nicer if they went with another character, rather than Peter Parker. Or at least the same typical Peter Parker we've been getting for a long time now.

Like Miles Morale, or Spider-Gwen.

Could also pull another Ant-Man thing. Where Peter is or was trying to be a hero, or something, but retired/disappeared. That or he got bit, but his powers never bloomed, or just didn't utilize them in the past. An now his daughter (May Parker) inherited them, has had them develop, and now sets out to utilize them for heroics.

Heck maybe one of those alternate version of Peter Parker, being .. well not the Peter Parker we're all familiar with.

Cause IMO, another of mostly the same thing we've been getting for a long time now, just doesn't sound very appealing.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@granitesoldier: All I took away from that post is there's a PM that I'm not a part of. No, it's cool. I'm not hurt.

@dark_stranger: It's definitely going to begin with Parker, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're open to the idea of eventually having Miles.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Great article.

I agree that they should skip the origin story and give us an already established and experienced Spider-Man.

cobsohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cobsohn

I really doubt they are going to break the contracts made with Garfield, Giamotti, and Foxx. There's no reason to scrap the plans they already made considering they weren't going to involve MCU characters in the first place.

But if they do reboot it, my must have is Principle Coulson.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with all of this article, really cant wait to see Spidey debut in the MCU!!

SkinnyAtlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SkinnyAtlas

@thor_parker82 said:

Great article.

I agree that they should skip the origin story and give us an already established and experienced Spider-Man.

I agree that an established Spider-man would be great, but they'll need to explain where he was during the Battle of New York...there's NO WAY that even a rookie Spider-man would think of staying away from getting involved in that...I'm curious to see how his timeline overlaps with the established NYC timeline and previously mentioned BoNY

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Spiderman does not make an appearance in Captain America: Civil War or Avengers: Infinity Wars, and truth be told i wouldnt give him a solo film until Phase 4 because i dont want him stealing the spotlight from the other MCU characters.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skinnyatlas: I am sure all of those things will be explained, but they really need to skip the origin story.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like the Kraven idea.

I have a question is it now possible that supporting characters show up in MCU movies like Norman Osborn showing up in an Iron Man movie?

FIXER22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

REALLY??? NO ONE ELSE SEES IT???? Here comes Spidey. They have to have him in a Marvel movie before they put him in Avengers Infinity War where they battle Thanos??? Other planet. Black suit. Great way to do it. Here comes Venom again.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Bring back Toby

2. Establish Spider-Man as a legend who went into retirement 4-5 years before Avengers

3. Something brings him out of retirement in time for Civil War

4. Give Toby one more film before going out Ultimate Spider-Man style while simultaneously introducing Miles Morales as one of his students perhaps.

5. Miles Morales is now Spider-Man

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AbdullahZubair

I was wondering....what will happen to the already released ASM1/2 as they teased a Sinister SIx movie and I really like Andrew Garfield as Spiderman and Sony already made plans for a Spider-Woman, Sinister Six, BlackCat, Carnage/Venom movies so are they cancelled?

I hope that Sony keeps the current Universe while giving Marvel the right to cast someone else as Spider-Man and use his supporting cast and villains. That way, I will still have Andrew as SM and Marvel will have SM for their movie cameos. I only hope Sony has learned from their mistakes. I really thik if they scrap this universe then watching ASM2 was a waste of time!

Also, I don't think Kraven is that good of a villain(for Spidey) as there are more powerful characters in this universe other than SM who are already known worldwide so he should/would rather go after them then SM,like Hulk, Cap, Thor or even Iron Man!

The best choices for the villain are:

1. Falcon
    2. Scorpion
    3. Mysterio
    4. NOT GREEN GOBLIN!!!!!!!!!
    Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to see Oscorp vs Stark Industries

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@skinnyatlas said:

@thor_parker82 said:

Great article.

I agree that an established Spider-man would be great, but they'll need to explain where he was during the Battle of New York...there's NO WAY that even a rookie Spider-man would think of staying away from getting involved in that...I'm curious to see how his timeline overlaps with the established NYC timeline and previously mentioned BoNY

How do you know he wasn't somewhere else in the city, doing what he could to help? Manhattan is a big place, after all, and those aliens were zipping around several blocks! Or maybe he was bitten shortly after that ;)

SkinnyAtlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@skinnyatlas said:

@thor_parker82 said:

Great article.

How do you know he wasn't somewhere else in the city, doing what he could to help? Manhattan is a big place, after all, and those aliens were zipping around several blocks! Or maybe he was bitten shortly after that ;)

Exactly...my hopes is that this is touched on...while not a must-have, I would love to see some Spidey vs. Chitauri mayhem in some cinematic form...

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a origin free, high adventure and funny as hell Spiderman movie, I like that he makes a cameo on the MCU movies, but I don't want him to steal the spotlight from Cap or another character, he needs to shine on his own movie. As for villains, I'll go for Mysterio, imagine that Spidey is trying to capture him but he can't, so instead a famous bounty hunter steps in to capture Mysterio: Kraven the Hunter, who anounces on tv that he challenges Spiderman to see who can get Mysterio first, obviously JJ Jameson wants Parker to take pics from this (if there is a god, J K Simmons will return). So it's a race to see who can capture Mysterio first, with Kraven constantly getting the heads up on Spidey due to his animal senses and tracking abillities. Oh yeah, and did I mention that is week of final exams at school?

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Great article.

That would be cool to see

Tiso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, Kevin Feige is involved with Spidey now, he's in great hands. There is no way Marvel Studios would have made a deal with Sony if they weren't getting what they wanted, it appears they did. Yes, Yes -- The press release says Sony have FINAL creative say but no one has actually read the finer points of the contract. I am sure they do, sorta, kinda, maybe? Avi as a Exec. Producer is a one-off and doesn't affect any creative decisions, much like Michael Bay or Spelberg being attached to EVERYTHING.

Marvel Studios is running the show and Sony is riding shotgun collecting paychecks. Kevin Feige made Guardians of the Galaxy work, made the MCU, and bring us a friggin' Ant-Man movie this summer, the guy hasn't let us down yet, nor does he have a shaky track record. When we get 3 stinkers in a row thats when we can start to question his decisions.

Can't wait to see a Peter Parker in the greater MCU for years to come.

Linore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snipergallo: What you just said... was golden. About J.K Simmons I really really HOPE that Marvel has him come back. He was perfect

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loki9876 said:

I like the Kraven idea.

I have a question is it now possible that supporting characters show up in MCU movies like Norman Osborn showing up in an Iron Man movie?

Using comics history, since the MCU doesn't have Doom, Osborn is probably the most viable candidate to be the unofficial leader of the earth villains. It could be an interesting aspect if he was to subtly unite and plot villains and eventually set up a dark reign style storyline.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

No Caption Provided

~MiB

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jaybefre

My one request is that they make Parker a young "adult". Let's have a Peter who has been Spiderman for a while that drops in like how heroes drop in and out of each others comics all the time. Let him be 23-25 years old, going to college, working at the Daily Bugle, living on his own with rent and bills to pay like every other young adult or young professional today. Let's make him a character that young teens can aspire to and that young adults can relate to.

Oh and bring back J.K. Simmons!!! That guy is the perfect J.J. Jameson!!!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

They should probably skip the origin, but I like 15-year-old Spidey. Oh, and can we get a decent Green Goblin costume for once?

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article. I disagreed about Kraven in your previous article, but especially for a first film I think he's a bad choice. Spidey needs to be established before a guy like Kraven comes after him.

I 100,000,000% agree about having an opening scene (akin to the awesome bank robbery scene in Dark Knight) where Spidey just has a solid 8-10 minute fight. Get the audience into it quickly, especially, if they're forgoing the origin, they'll have the time. Someone like Shocker would be perfect!

Avatar image for psychopsychology
    PsychoPsychology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PsychoPsychology
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I agree with the opening fight. Heck you could even be clever and have the opening fight as a flashback to either the Chitauri invading in the first Avengers or fighting Ultron bots in Queens (depending on how Age of Ultron plays out of course).

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Just make Kraven's Last Hunt

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linore: Thanks, I actually had this idea for a while, but instead of Mysterio was Lizard, and in the final act of the movie, Spidey discovers that Lizard is Connors, Connors is scared of another transformation and seeks help from Spidey, and in that moment Kraven appears, he also has discovered who the Lizard is, so it begins a race-battle of Spidey taking Connors to some labs and Kraven trying to kill him, and in the middle of the chase, Connors sucumbs to the stress and Lizard appears, becoming a three battle royale, each one trying to defeat the other two.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@maccyd: Yeah, I would want to see him in charge of HAMMER and an adaption of the Stark dissambled story line (maybe).

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By mickey-mouse

The key to a great Villian in my mind is making one where you understand his pathos, but he's not overly sympathetic. For the last Spiderman movies they were basically all very sympathetic Villians. I want an evil Villian for this new movie. Someone who can make the fight very personal not just for Spiderman, but for Peter Parker.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adult Peter. Sick of teenage Peter.

Solid villain (Kraven would be nice).

Not Miles Morales.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao some people actually think Miles should be Spidey. There is only one true Spiderman and Peter Parker is him. Miles isn't anywhere close to being as important too fans or Marvel as Peter.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#47  Edited By Teerack

Turn this story into a movie.

No Caption Provided

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

M1cAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

agree with the article 100%. i've been saying for years that we've never seen an ADULT (out of college) spiderman on screen, this needs to be done!! also, diggin the Kraven idea

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@teerack: King Pin and some hench men would be the Villian then.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.