Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-man not a team player?

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jorgevy

So, on facebook, Ive seen a self proclaimed Spidey fan saying that Spider-man shouldn't get a new movie because he was never part of the Avengers

I explained to him that he was recently and that the movie was owned by Sony, not Marvel Studios.

He explained that he stopped reading Marvel for some time and that he doesn't like it anymore and said it was Stan Lee's fault of getting everyone in the Avengers and blah blah blah

Another guy came in and explained to him that Stan Lee had nothing to do with it and told him that there was still good titles associated with Spider-man recently

The self proclaimed Spidey fan said that it was a stupid idea to put Spidey in the Avengers comics because he "is not a team player, except in a few occasions".

So, what's your opinion? Does peter have team player material or is he more of a one off thing?

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Peter's "flexy". He can solo, he can be a team player. Whoever says the opposite, he's probably forgetting too many stories written for Pete, showing him being a good team player.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Video_Martian

He could be a pretty good team player if he wants to be.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By evilvegeta74

Spidey is definately a team player and has enjoyed the freedoms of everything falling on his shoulders as often as it had in the past, due to being a part Of the New Avengers, and the Fantastic Four at times. He is a bit of a wild card, and not in a bad way, because of his overall skillset, basically the intelligence level he posesses+his abilities. This is a problem for reccuring villians from the Avengers past, because some have no idea what he bring to the team.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Jorgevy

@evilvegeta74: @mr.obvious: @Phaedrusgr:

thanks for all the responses. I guess the "self proclaimed spidey fan" isn't that much of a fan or is not updated on his reading

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By mewmdude77

He's worked with the Fantastic four and the Avengers pretty much since he became Spider-Man. He works well with them, and some of them are some of his closest allies. Not to mention he was the star of a team-up comic for years. He just needs to want to be a team player to be one.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Hazlenaut

Spiderman and his Amazing Friends ring a bell. He thinks on the fly but he does not mind helpful advice. Spidey is self destructive he needs pep talk every hour since he is known for blaming himself for anything wrong. the symbiote tried to set up with a girl without him noticing.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Ugggh, I went to see Avengers for the second time over the weekend and remembered hearing some imbecile saying they couldn't have Spider Man on the Avengers because he was in the Justice League

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Kallarkz

FF4 
    Avengers 
    New Avengers 

Come on

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By darthfury78

@Kallarkz said:

FF4 Avengers New Avengers Come on

He's not on the Avengers anymore. Although, I would have liked it best if he stayed with The Avengers and leave the New Avengers.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Kallarkz
    @darthfury78 said:

@Kallarkz said:

FF4 Avengers New Avengers Come on

He's not on the Avengers anymore. Although, I would have liked it best if he stayed with The Avengers and leave the New Avengers.

Hes fighting on the Avengers side in the AVX battle 
    And he just was hanging out at the Avengers mansion training with them last month in Red Hulk 
    And he just walked in the mansion during this End of the WOrlds Events to call on the Avengers and Thor called him a fellow Avenger. 
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Gambit1024

There's a difference between being a "team player" and working well alone. That being said, I think that Spider-Man works better alone, but is still good at what he does in a team setting.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By darthfury78

@Kallarkz: I was referring to the fact that they had Spider-Man with The New Avengers in their self-titled series before the whole X VS A and Ends of The Earth storyline had started.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Hahaha...I heard something similar from a guy in front of me...He said (serious face please) he couldn't understand why they were so stupid not to add Batman into the team...

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Strider1992

To me Spider-man can be a team player but I definitely prefer him as a solo act. If they are going to put him in an Avengers movie they should make a New Avengers movie(won't happen due to Fox and Sony though *shakes fist*).

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mewmdude77

@Strider92 said:

To me Spider-man can be a team player but I definitely prefer him as a solo act. If they are going to put him in an Avengers movie they should make a New Avengers movie(won't happen due to Fox and Sony though *shakes fist*).

I think it'd actually make sense if he was in the next Avengers movie. the Spidey movie is Spidey fighting off an entire invasion of the Lizard, and other Lizard like people, right? How would Shield not notice that one guy fought off that entire army? They'd be like 'woah, that Spider-Man fought off an entire army of lizard people, he should be an Avenger!'

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Strider1992

@mewmdude77: Yeah it makes sense (what with his parents working for S.H.E.I.L.D and all) but due to Sony it isn't happening.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mewmdude77

@Strider92 said:

@mewmdude77: Yeah it makes sense (what with his parents working for S.H.E.I.L.D and all) but due to Sony it isn't happening.

Sony and Marvel could have made a deal for Spider-Man to be in the Avengers sequel, but Sony gets part of the money from it. Or maybe Sony will just sell the right to Spidey back to Marvel if Amazing Spider-Man tanks, and MArvel will just put him in the sequel anyways.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAZAHS117

Personally I perfer Spidey not to be on the actual Avengers roster. It was cool when he would team with them on crossovers as a reserved member and stuff (both them and the FF) but I like Spider-Man better when he was just solo dealing with his villians and trying to make it with lifes' normal BS....I honestly think Bendis put both Spidey and Wolverine on every single cover and story with MARVEL as "cash-cow" kinda thng to just bring in money from their popularity...Spider-Man is a great team player, always has been....but I like him better outside the crazyness of the Avengers

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Strider1992

@mewmdude77 said:

@Strider92 said:

Sony and Marvel could have made a deal for Spider-Man to be in the Avengers sequel, but Sony gets part of the money from it. Or maybe Sony will just sell the right to Spidey back to Marvel if Amazing Spider-Man tanks, and MArvel will just put him in the sequel anyways.

Sony will never sell the rights back to Marvel as long as he's bringing in that kind of money. A joint venture is possible but Sony are going to want a lot of control and input which wouldn't sit well with Marvel. Also as he is one of their leading movie characters they aren't going to want to downplay him in comparison with the other Avengers thus if he was in the movie with Sony's input he'd most likely be soloing most of the Avengers team.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Lvenger

I don't mind seeing Peter on the FF nor on the New Avengers but I never liked him or Wolverine being actual Avengers. That's a heavy hitter team and I don't feel that Spider-Man belonged on that team. He fitted in much better with the New Avengers. So Spidey can be a solo act or a team act nowadays, he's that flexible.

Atora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Atora

In the begining Spidey wasn't much for the whole team thing. In fact when Thor offered for him to become an Avenger originally he wasn't too keen on the idea. He got better at it as time went on though and while I think he does his best work on his own, Spidey's great at team ups and the like nowadays. Just a bit of trivia here, but it's worth noting that most (not all) of the spider-based characters tend to shy away from team organizations. Maybe it just has to do with the vast majority of spiders being naturally solitary and all, but they tend not to go looking for teams or partners and usually just wind up getting tossed in with others through some twist of fate.

Spydey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spydey

Of course Spidey's a team player. He's on how many teams? Has done how many team ups? At first he was against it of course, and chose to ride solo, but now he's teaming up with everyone.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By JairamGanpat

@Avenging-X-Bolt: @Phaedrusgr:

At the end of the movie when Thanos appeared, there was a guy behind me cream his pants and screaming "O MY GOD, ITZ APOCALYPSE!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Spider-man may not be the kind of person who spends all his time in teams but that is mostly because he is such a great character that he can support his own comic books. Besides he has Avenging Spider-Man running at the moment and that is all about his team ups. *shakes head* stupid thing to say

FacetiousBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FacetiousBeard

I enjoy Spidey as an Avenger dues to his respect of Cap and Stark and his enjoyment of working with them and others on the team. His wisecracking is always my favourite in any team situation to so I enjoy that too, but it all loses some of it magic when it happens consistently so I prefer it if he was a reserve Avenger. For example, they way The Avengers feature in Ends of the Earth is good. I like Spidey and Fantastic Four team-ups as his relationship with them all is very familial and that's nice to see. However, I much prefer Spidey on his lonesome, I think his nature, powers and attitude work better like that, thought the occasional team-up is welcome. I always enjoy a good Spidey/Daredevil adventure.

Avatar image for kamrincdisandro
    KamrinCDiSandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well let us consider why he assumed this. Before Spider-Man join the Avengers they did treat him badly. After all one of the things they told Spider-Man to do before he joined the Avengers was capture the Hulk. Now they had a good reason to do so but decided not to tell him to begin with.

Spider-Man almost joined the X-Men but thanks to Avengers little anitiation it scared Spider-Man to join the X-Men. Which is understanding.

The only team I personally say he officially joined was the Fantastic Four since he and the Human Torch were best friends and made Spider-Man his successor.

Now we have seen in other forms he has lead teams in the past for example the Spider-Friends which is made up of Iceman, and Firestar. This was technically the original team they gave Spider-Man.

Then there came in TAS Spider-Man where he lead a team made up of The Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Captain America, Storm from the X-Men, The Lizard, Black Cat, and Alister Smyth.

In ultimate Spider-Man the cartoon not the movie he had White Tiger, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Nova.

And then there is the resent cartoon with Spider-Man teaming up with Miles Morales, Gwen Stacy, and Aya Corazone.

So we can not say Spider-Man is a team lead since every time Marvel tries to give him a team he is always the leader and an effective one.

Why he has never gotten a permit team.

1. Spider-Man does have trust Issues. So everyone knows Spider-Man hides a secret Identity and well you see he keeps from almost everyone eve his fellow superheroes. Heck in Secret Invasion Spider-Man was literally forced to reveal his identity. If Spider-Man was given his team is team mates would have to be made up of Heroes he can Trust.

2. People given time to help Spider-Man. Remeber unless it is an Avenger Situation. Spider-Man normally faces his enemies alone sure there are some exceptions such as team ups and partners, but that's about it. Spider-Man will help the Avengers Stop Galactus, but when Spider-Man is fighting six of his most dangerous villains with civilians at stake he is 90% likely to face them alone.

3. Not to Manny of them can relate to Spider-Man think about it this way does anyone in the Avengers know what Spider-Man goes through. The closest is Hulk, but unlike Spider-Man nobody would call out the Hulk, because well he could just smash him.

So now we need to ask the question if Spider-Man did have a team who would be part of it. Keep in mind to do this properly were only going to go with the superheroes who would know Peter Parker's Identity. To make things fair outside of one I am not using everyone who is a Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Spider-Girl, or Spider-Boy since alternate universe also I do not want this team just be made up of Spider-Men. With Exception for Jessica Drew since she has no connection to Spider-Man what so ever.

#1. Doctor Strange: Steven Strange.

#2. Captain Marvel: Carol Danvers.

#3. Spider-Woman: Jessica Drew.

#4. Luke Cage: Carol Lucas.

#5. Wolverine: James Logan Howlette.

#6. Jessica Jones.

#7. Winter Soldier: Bucky Barnes.

#8. Hawkeye: Clint Barton.

#9. Mocking Bird: Bobbie Morris.

#10. Mister Fantastic: Reed Richards.

#11. Invisible Woman: Sue Storm.

#12. The Thing: Ben Grim.

#13. The Human Torch: Johnny Storm:

#14. The Prowler: Bobbie Brown.

#15. The Falcon: Teresa Parker.

#16. Daredevil: Matt Murdock.

#17. Black Cat: Felicia Hardy.

#18. Iceman: Bobby Drake.

#19. Firestar: Angelica Jones.

#20. White Tiger: Ava Ayala.

#21. Nova: Sam Alexander.

#22. Iron Fist: Danny Rand.

#23. Deadpool: Wayne Wilson.

Not a bad list, but obviously not a large one. So let's do some limitations will say for safety reasons no more than 6 members. To decide let us do some cut backs.

#1. Out is Doctor Stranger. So he is out because outside his powers he isn't someone Peter would turn to just like that. And yes I know Peter is asking Doctor Strangest help in Spider-Man: No Way Home, but that is the movie not the comics and we're only fallowing the comics. Also Doctor Strange has two teams he leads. The original Defenders and the Midnight Suns.

#2. Spider-Woman it would be too expected I want the team be smiled by their different skills and abilities, not because they share the same name also if Marvel did want to have Spider-Man and Spider-Woman as a team don't you think they would have been made full time patterns by now.

#3. #4. & #5. Hawkeye, Mocking Bird, and Falcon are out, cause those are agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and granted Furry probably does know Spider-Man is Peter Parker, but remeber if that was the case much like Jessica Drew shield would have given Peter a team from the Gettco.

#6. & #7. Luke Cage & Jessica Jones are out case they are parents true Luke Cage is still active, but that due to his unbreakable skin, but there still substances that could hurt and kill him, as for Jessica Jones she is a retired superhero technically. I'm sure if Peter thought about them he would remeber they have a Daughter and don't want to be responsible if one day her parents didn't make it back.

#8. & #9. Wolverine and Deadpool there too violet sure Spider-Man can handle it as a team up, but a full on team would be too much. Also much like Doctor Strange they have been on multiple teams also.

#10. #11. Iceman and Firestar. Yes I know they were part of Spider-Man's original team, but keep in mind that I am going by the comics standered and yes Iceman and Firestar do know Peter is Spider-Man, but in the cartoon comic not so much Iceman yes, but that was an alternate universe and that Peter Died anyway.

#12. Iron Fist. Too Manny teams, he would probably have Luke involved, which we know Spider-Man can't agree to since as I mentioned family man.

#13. #14. #15. #16. The Fantastic Four. They Are literally their own team. The only one who might join is Human Torch, but even that is saying too much.

So that leaves.

#1. Captain Marvel: Carol Danvers.

#2. The Winter Soldier: Bucky Barnes.

#3. The Prowler: Hobbies Brown.

#4. Daredevil: Matt Merdock.

#5. Black Cat: Felicia Hard.

#6. White Tiger: Ava Ayala.

#7. Nova: Sam Alexander.

Sadly there is some limitations.

#1. Captain Marvel she is a close friend of Peter's but she wouldn't always be in town. Peter's team needs be either street leveled or at least help out the little guy all the time and with Captain Marvel in Space that is difficult.

#2. The Winter Soldier well 1. He is too violent. 2. He can't relate to Spider-Man at all. 3. There is a good chance he could attack Peter if someone used the book to control him.

#4. Daredevil: Remeber he is a Lawyer by Day and Vigilanti at night he only helps heroes on occasion and not often. Also he is more of a night superhero.

#5. & #6. White Tiger and Nova only know Peter's identity cause of the show again not canon to the comics.

This leave two members.

#1. The Prowler.

#2. Black Cat.

Which would make sense since both were partners of Spider-Man the only problem is we haven't seen Hobbie Brown as much ever since they introduced Aron Davis which they are more likely going to keep do to his connections to Miles Morales.

As for black cat remeber there whole on again off again thing is a thing, she is also a wild card since there is no garentee she will always help Spider-Man.

See what I mean about the whole giving Spider-Man a team is not as easy.

The only way for them to do so is this.

#1. The series would have to be a reboot. Meaning the characters would have to start out from scratch this undoing the complications Spided-Man has had over the years.

#2. They have to have their own series this way there not always relying on one another and they still get more focused.

#3. They would have to atleast start out the same age as Peter so they can be seen frequently.

#4. They would have to be people Spider-Man would trusts.

Here is a question if you were to give spider-Man his own team who you chose and tell me why also no more then six members.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.