Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17239 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man (Insomniac game) discussion.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ursaber said:

@animehunter: interesting notes. Nothin about MJ. Insomniac is really killing it with this level of detail.

Indeed. Especially With That Note That Says "Find Out Yuri's Birthday". Didn't Realize Peter Tried To Be So Close To Her.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@ursaber said:

@animehunter: interesting notes. Nothin about MJ. Insomniac is really killing it with this level of detail.

Indeed. Especially With That Note That Says "Find Out Yuri's Birthday". Didn't Realize Peter Tried To Be So Close To Her.

Not romantically. Professionals and friendship. They work together a lot it seems.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @marvelman92 said:
    @ursaber said:

Not romantically. Professionals and friendship. They work together a lot it seems.

Yeah, It Seems. I Just Wonder How Long If They're Gonna Sustain Their Friendship Before Yuri Takes Matters Into Her Own Hands.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#906  Edited By animehunter
    ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man PS4 gives Mary Jane Watson the chance to be a hero

Peter Parker’s longtime girlfriend is no damsel here, and it’s fantastic

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/2/17642220/spider-man-ps4-preview-mary-jane-playable

-

@itsaworld, @ursaber, @amazingfantasy, @quilsniv

@zariusii, @blackspidey2099, @eto@mizerous, @marvelman92

Its not like she was always a damsel, certainly not a bland traditional one like Gwen and then she became super capable.

This line here is so wrong:

At no point is she a friendly neighborhood Spider-Woman, nor does she ever get the agency to defend herself.

As is this one (GOD! The Raimi movies sure did a number on MJ's perception to the casual audience):

it turns out that Insomniac has overhauled Mary Jane from a beautiful, if sometimes brash, romantic object into someone with wits and agency.

(sure she is beautiful and objectified but always with wits, agency and capacity)

It'll be interesting to play as her. I wonder how or what you get to do as her.

But in all honesty, it seems that Mary Jane has been turned into Lois Lane. Beautiful stubborn gutsy and sassy investigative journalist who doesn't let any one, man or woman, tell her what to do.

MJ has a lot of Lois Lane qualities but she always had her own style, her own unique way of going about it.

This quote is just, makes me grind my teeth:

Mary Jane Watson, no longer begging for Spidey’s help. She can take care of herself, and she doesn’t need powers to do it.

Its clear these people only know Mary Jane through the movies, maybe reading some comics or hearing other's thoughts and perceptions of her. She's always been able to take care of herself. She's needed Spidey's help when she got caught in the middle of supervillain routs.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#912  Edited By ZariusII

@ursaber Actually, it's canon that MJ's family has ties to Scotland

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@ursaber Actually, it's canon that MJ's family has ties to Scotland

Scotland and Ireland are two different origins. Ireland is the one known for being redheads.

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#916  Edited By animehunter
    ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: @zariusii

Sorta relationship with ex gf!? Maybe they can rekindle in the game if there is some sort of choice mechanic.

What I wouldn't give for a remake of Web of Shadows.

Wow, those webs lasted years. If you can find webbed backpacks from all the way to ancient history high school, then that webbing formula is something else.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#919  Edited By ursaber

Spider-Man’s Mary Jane Sparks Outrage Over Face Change

https://www.vgr.com/spider-mans-mary-jane-sparks-outrage-over-face-change/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_3122618

Original Mary Jane

No Caption Provided

Present Mary Jane

No Caption Provided

-

Comment: The face change is notable. Obviously not game breaking or would keep from buying the game (I'm not gonna buy the game because I don't have a PS4), but Mary Jane looks worse than she originally did IMO. She kinda looks like Barbra in Stranger Things.

-

@itsaworld, @ursaber, @amazingfantasy, @quilsniv, @animehunter, @knightwriteri, @bjparks, @hoicomicbro

@zariusii, @blackspidey2099, @eto@mizerous, @marvelman92, @g2_@thor_parker82, @kiba, @spidercide, @hopesummersforthefuture

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ursaber: I don't like the change, at all, she doesn't look pretty.

When I imagine Mary Jane I picture a breath-taking gorgeous woman, I would have even settled for a pretty MJ on the game, but that one is not even pretty, not attractive in the minimum IMO.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#921  Edited By ursaber

@ursaber: I don't like the change, at all, she doesn't look pretty.

When I imagine Mary Jane I picture a breath-taking gorgeous woman, I would have even settled for a pretty MJ on the game, but that one is not even pretty, not attractive in the minimum IMO.

Me neither. It is a clear downgrade from her initial appearance.

This is a more girl next door childhood friend pretty Mary Jane than supermodel actress Mary Jane from the comics. But even so, her latest appearance as I showed is downright bad.

She looks like Stranger Things' Barb.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Ugh, don't even show that to me, I found myself cringing at how cartooney Barb looked and hoped for her scenes to end quickly.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Ugh, don't even show that to me, I found myself cringing at how cartooney Barb looked and hoped for her scenes to end quickly.

Well, she's dead and not coming back. Count that blessing.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Yeah I know, I've watched both seasons hehe.

Blessing indeed :P

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

Spider-Man’s Mary Jane Sparks Outrage Over Face Change

https://www.vgr.com/spider-mans-mary-jane-sparks-outrage-over-face-change/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_3122618

Original Mary Jane

No Caption Provided

Present Mary Jane

No Caption Provided

-

Comment: The face change is notable. Obviously not game breaking or would keep from buying the game (I'm not gonna buy the game because I don't have a PS4), but Mary Jane looks worse than she originally did IMO. She kinda looks like Barbra in Stranger Things.

-

@itsaworld, @ursaber, @amazingfantasy, @quilsniv, @animehunter, @knightwriteri, @bjparks, @hoicomicbro

@zariusii, @blackspidey2099, @eto@mizerous, @marvelman92, @g2_@thor_parker82, @kiba, @spidercide, @hopesummersforthefuture

Hmmm, I Think This Either Is Part Of The Early Prototypes Since We Saw A Cleaner Version Of MJ In The Latest Screenshots Or This Could Be How MJ Looks Like When She's Busy. Girl Just Seems To Be In A Hurry Trying To Get Some Clues And Helping Out Peter. Whatever The Case, I Hope To See. I Mean, There Are Also Parts In The Final Trailer That She Looks Fine As Well. But, We'll See. Also, I Kinda Think Barb Is A Bit Attractive. I Mean, She Looks Nice To Me. Plus, If You Remove The Glasses And Give Her Cleaner Makeup, She'd Look Pretty Nice. But, That's Just Me. Love Stranger Things BTW.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92:

its not about makeup, her face has been noticeable altered, her jawline, her cheekbones, her chin, her mouth even her hair color. Its a noticeable downgrade.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#927  Edited By knightwriteri

@ursaber: It's deliberate it was no mistake they made her less attractive. Remember Slott's involved and game MJ is a reporter not an actress model. It's also PC fat acceptance style crap

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#928  Edited By ursaber

@ursaber: It's deliberate it was no mistake they made her less attractive. Remember Sport's involved and game MJ is a reporter not an actress model. It's also PC fat acceptance style crap

Even reporter MJ is attractive, not to supermodel levels but still beautiful and pretty.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@marvelman92:

its not about makeup, her face has been noticeable altered, her jawline, her cheekbones, her chin, her mouth even her hair color. Its a noticeable downgrade.

Maybe It's Just An Early Version Of Her. Hopefully We'll See More Of The Gorgeous Or Former Version Of MJ. I Mean, In The Latest Trailer, There Were Parts Of Her That Looked Fine. Maybe We'll See Her Like The First One When The Game Comes Out.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@marvelman92:

Maybe It's Just An Early Version Of Her. Hopefully We'll See More Of The Gorgeous Or Former Version Of MJ. I Mean, In The Latest Trailer, There Were Parts Of Her That Looked Fine. Maybe We'll See Her Like The First One When The Game Comes Out.

So long as I don't get to see this hideous face anymore:

No Caption Provided

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She looks like Claire Redfield.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @marvelman92 said:
    @ursaber said:

@marvelman92:

So long as I don't get to see this hideous face anymore:

No Caption Provided

Ah Come On. She Doesn't Look That Bad Here. Though, I Do Prefer The First Rendition Of Her Than This One.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92:

She looks terrible in comparison to her original rendition. That's all I'm saying. And I see no reason whatsoever to make her uglier when she was very good originally without being as beautiful as supermodel MJ.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#934  Edited By MarvelMan92

@ursaber said:

@marvelman92:

She looks terrible in comparison to her original rendition. That's all I'm saying. And I see no reason whatsoever to make her uglier when she was very good originally without being as beautiful as supermodel MJ.

I'm Sure They're Gonna Put The First Rendition Of Her In The Final Product. We're Just Gonna Have To Wait And See.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#940  Edited By animehunter

All The Biggest Reveals In SPIDER-MAN: HOSTILE TAKEOVER - The Prequel To Sony's Upcoming Video Game

Spider-Man: Hostile Takeover is an upcoming novel set to be released by Titan Books and we're now breaking down all the biggest reveals and what those tell us about the upcoming PS4 video game...

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/all-the-biggest-reveals-in-spider-man-hostile-takeover-the-prequel-to-sonys-upcoming-video-game-a162943

Can be pre-order it from Amazon

US: $6.47 $7.99https://www.amazon.com/Marvels-SPIDER-MAN-Takeover-David-Liss/dp/1785659758/ref=sr_1_1

UK: £5.75 £6.14https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marvels-SPIDER-MAN-Takeover-David-Liss/dp/1785659758/ref=sr_1_1

-

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All The Biggest Reveals In SPIDER-MAN: HOSTILE TAKEOVER - The Prequel To Sony's Upcoming Video Game

Spider-Man: Hostile Takeover is an upcoming novel set to be released by Titan Books and we're now breaking down all the biggest reveals and what those tell us about the upcoming PS4 video game...

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/all-the-biggest-reveals-in-spider-man-hostile-takeover-the-prequel-to-sonys-upcoming-video-game-a162943

-

This is some cool world-building.

Peter unknowingly working for Doc Ock is a super interesting element in the story.

There's also this:

When the novel begins, Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson are in a very happy relationship but as soon as she lands a job at The Daily Bugle, he starts worrying about her and isn't at all happy about the way she's going after Wilson Fisk. As a result, she grows sick of him smothering her and ends things.

At the end of the book, they haven't seen each other for months and while we know they'll be reunited in the game, it makes sense for that to reunite them as it will make for a very satisfying story arc.

Damn MJ. She clearly believes she's being held back by Peter and that she can take care of herself. Until she goes in over her head in the main game and learns Peter was right even though it won't deter her. I get the feel that she actually wants to have Peter's powers herself so she could really go all out with her investigating and doing good for the city.

Where can I read this novel?

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @animehunter said:

-

This is some cool world-building.

Peter unknowingly working for Doc Ock is a super interesting element in the story.

There's also this:

When the novel begins, Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson are in a very happy relationship but as soon as she lands a job at The Daily Bugle, he starts worrying about her and isn't at all happy about the way she's going after Wilson Fisk. As a result, she grows sick of him smothering her and ends things.

At the end of the book, they haven't seen each other for months and while we know they'll be reunited in the game, it makes sense for that to reunite them as it will make for a very satisfying story arc.

Damn MJ. She clearly believes she's being held back by Peter and that she can take care of herself. Until she goes in over her head in the main game and learns Peter was right even though it won't deter her. I get the feel that she actually wants to have Peter's powers herself so she could really go all out with her investigating and doing good for the city.

Where can I read this novel?

You can pre-order it from Amazon

US: $6.47 $7.99https://www.amazon.com/Marvels-SPIDER-MAN-Takeover-David-Liss/dp/1785659758/ref=sr_1_1

UK: £5.75 £6.14https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marvels-SPIDER-MAN-Takeover-David-Liss/dp/1785659758/ref=sr_1_1

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#943  Edited By ursaber
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#944  Edited By animehunter
    @ursaber said:

@animehunter:

And your thoughts on what I said?

I think you're right that she wants to do her own thing and Peter wasn't supporting her decisions, because she's he's afraid of what the Kingpin might do to her, and so the only solution to Mary Jane was to break things off with Peter, so that she can do what she herself think she needs to do.

But I can't agree that she wants Peter's powers, then she wouldn't be Mary Jane, and I think she knows it.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@animehunter:

I think you're right that she wants to do her own thing and Peter wasn't supporting her decisions, because she's he's afraid of what the Kingpin might do to her and so the only solution to that was to break things off with Peter so that she can what she herself think she needs to do.

But I can't agree that she wants Peter's powers, then she wouldn't be Mary Jane, and I think she knows it.

Peter's worries are justified but then so is MJ's determination as well. Ah well, let's hope they rekindle midway through the game.

I actually want to know more about Peter's scientific engineer gig.

Yeah but think about it from a certain perspective. She wants to be this proactive individual reporting and investigating and getting the truth while also helping people. Peter's powers would enable her much. She appears restless, eager to do good.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @animehunter said:
    @ursaber said:

@animehunter:

I think you're right that she wants to do her own thing and Peter wasn't supporting her decisions, because she's he's afraid of what the Kingpin might do to her and so the only solution to that was to break things off with Peter so that she can what she herself think she needs to do.

Peter's worries are justified but then so is MJ's determination as well. Ah well, let's hope they rekindle midway through the game.

I actually want to know more about Peter's scientific engineer gig.

Yeah but think about it from a certain perspective. She wants to be this proactive individual reporting and investigating and getting the truth while also helping people. Peter's powers would enable her much. She appears restless, eager to do good.

Yeah, but I think that's more you wanting to to happen, than it being an actually good fit for the character. No this and other Mary Janes, not counting Renew Your Vows, does not want Peter powers, it's just not in their character.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#947  Edited By ursaber

@animehunter said:

Yeah, but I think that's more you wanting to to happen, than it being an actually good fit for the character. No this and other Mary Janes, not counting Renew Your Vows, does not want Peter powers, it's just not in their character.

True, somewhat, but numerous MJ's in the multiverse have also had powers. From Spider powered MJ in Spider Island, RYV MJ, Spider Woman MJ in the reality where Peter died and such and even USM cartoon MJ.

In general Mary Jane having powers is against the nature of her character and I concur but in other iterations its up her alley.

This Mary Jane resembles quite a lot the Mary Jane from the USM cartoon, and if you recall USM MJ acquired the powers of a symbiote and never looked back.

Ah well, enough with the non-issue.

Just very curious about the novel, its contents and as is a priority for me currently, Peter and MJ in the Spider Man Mythos. How they were together and how they broke up in this intriguing new universe for Spidey. Just hope they come back together in the game.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: @zariusii:

I know its a game mechanic, but, Spidey's webbed backpacks across the city couldn't have lasted 8 years. Remember the webbing dissolves in an hour. I guess he developed a special indefinite webbing that deteriorates upon contact after being shot.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.