Spider-Man in the DC Universe

#1 Posted by growup (571 posts) - - Show Bio

The forum search engine was not working so I don't know if this has been done or not, but 
If for whatever reason DC gained the rights to Spider-Man (and related characters) from Marvel, how do think DC would handle it? 
Would he still be in New York?  
Where would he stand amongst the other heroes, would he be a loser, or the newest member of the Justice League for the potential increase in sales that he could bring? 
Would he be re-designed?  
How would his rogues gallery be incorporated into the DC universe? 

Your thoughts please

#2 Posted by Sheep-Kill (738 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Villians I would like to see him fight would be: 
Joker 
Scarecrow 
Lobo 
Gorilla Grodd 
Anti-Fate 
Dark Rider 
Bloodsport 

#3 Posted by growup (571 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#4 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11579 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Adam. Bye bye Spidey. 

No Caption Provided
#5 Posted by growup (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel: I'm assuming he would only be fighting street level
#6 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Red_Justice: Oh, now I just want this to happen to him.

No Caption Provided
#7 Posted by growup (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel: I regret making this thread
#8 Posted by d0npierre (425 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't feel bad, he's just jealous...

#9 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8935 posts) - - Show Bio

If Spiderman made it into DC, strangely enough. I'd put him in Gotham. If he had was in his cheerful joker attitude, rather then the emo phases he sometimes go through. If only to contrast Batman and the rest of the grumps.

That said I wouldn't want that to happen. Spiderman should stay in Marvel.

#10 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm

#11 Posted by growup (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: I like your idea, I would love to see how Batman would take to Spidey muscling in on is territory.
#12 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8935 posts) - - Show Bio
@Red_Justice said:
" @Crom-Cruach: I like your idea, I would love to see how Batman would take to Spidey muscling in on is territory. "
Like I said, I think spider-man should stay in marvel but if he went in DC I'd put him in Gotham.

Once he met Bruce, I'd wager they'd start off really rocky given that Bat has this thing about giving people panic attacks, scaring the living s**t out of them, etc. After a few runs I'd wager Spidey would become someone Bruce would know he can count on (provided they don't pull any PIS like OMD on DC spidey storylines)
#13 Posted by spiderguylll (619 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man / Nightwing walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building.

#14 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8935 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderguylll said:
" Spider-Man / Nightwing walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building. "
Then they went over to meet Bruce and the whole world exploded by the level of awesome...
#15 Posted by Mokey (195 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, we already know how Batman and Spider-Man would react to eachother thanks to the crossovers.
#16 Posted by growup (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mokey: Yes, but crossovers are always restricted in what they can explore, and a couple of issues would only scratch the surface of possibilities that Spider-man/Batman dynamic could create.
#17 Posted by ARMIV (3927 posts) - - Show Bio

He'd be a pretty cool addition to the JLA.

#18 Posted by Dracade102 (8452 posts) - - Show Bio

He'd probably make friends with the Flash in Keystone City... or Stray off into Fawcett City with Cap Marvel.
Avatar image for prince_of_saiyans
#19 Posted by Prince of Saiyans (2088 posts) - - Show Bio

lets see spidey and bats trade cities and villains/friends for a year. 

#20 Edited by TricksandToys (470 posts) - - Show Bio

If Spider man ever made it into DC universe, then I think he would be adopted by Bruce Wayne and possibly be a sidekick of Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbee326da7b7
#21 Posted by deactivated-5bbee326da7b7 (1212 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet the first person to know him and everything about him would be batman

#22 Edited by kiba (3740 posts) - - Show Bio

"Spider-Man / Nightwing walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building."

I'll agree with this. They're my two favorite characters.

#23 Edited by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he would be a cool addition to the DC Universe.

#24 Posted by ItsaWorld (2376 posts) - - Show Bio

If he was actually part of the DC universe...since he is one of the most popular heroes, his kid May would probably have been part of the new SuperBoy and Robin comics coming out known as Super Sons....I would read that!

#25 Posted by magnetic_eye (1739 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least at DC he would be treated with the respect he deserves and given to competent writers.

Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo OR Peter J. Tomasi & Fernando Parsarin would be awesome in producing a mature well written Spider-Man with all of the original character traits in place.

#26 Posted by derf_jenkins (757 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnetic_eye: maybe there is a slight chance Snyder and Capullo come to Marvel to do Amazing Spider-Man? Now that's all I want to see.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#27 Posted by christianrapper (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnetic_eye: how much more respect can he have? He is in every freaking comic book.

#28 Posted by christianrapper (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

Then Peter could have sold his soul to the real Lucifer.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
#29 Edited by BappyRonChantin (2772 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the DC universe suits him

#30 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#31 Posted by The_Waffle (690 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by christianrapper (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_waffle: spiderman is getting a lot of respect now. He is like the freaking man now. He is a billionaire and no longer a loser. I finally started back picking it uo after bnd. I also read grim hunt. I love this new direction.

#33 Edited by The_Waffle (690 posts) - - Show Bio

@christianrapper: Still not what he was talking about. Spider-Man isn't currently taken seriously by a competent writer, hence the lack of respect towards the character.

#34 Posted by magnetic_eye (1739 posts) - - Show Bio

@christianrapper: Still not what he was talking about. Spider-Man isn't currently taken seriously by a competent writer, hence the lack of respect towards the character.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

@magnetic_eye: how much more respect can he have? He is in every freaking comic book.

@the_waffle: spiderman is getting a lot of respect now. He is like the freaking man now. He is a billionaire and no longer a loser. I finally started back picking it uo after bnd. I also read grim hunt. I love this new direction.

My point wasn't referring to his status as a successful CEO, far from it actually. It's about the plot driven writing style, which to me is quite nonsensical in it's execution. It's also about Spider-Man being so much out of character. I dislike that Pete is a composite of Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne.

For decades, Spider-Man was a formidable, resourceful, independent and unique super hero, but under Slott, the book has become quite campy and Spidey a man-child character.

The book seems to be aimed at a much younger demographic and IMO, Spider-Man is immature and way too jokey rather than seeing a successful crime-fighter utilizing his wit and sarcastic sense of humor. There's a big difference between using toilet humor and silly pop culture references to writing timeless wit and clever humor.

In this current run, despite Spidey being a successful CEO still needs a lab full of scientists and technicians to do things for him, the women either want to sabotage the company, sleep with him, kill him or give him advice and he's none the wiser for it. That to me is a loser! Being a billionaire does not mean one is no longer a loser.

The disrespect for me comes in the form that Slott does not give attention to Pete's strengths, but writes him as some kind of incompetent genius that needs all the help he can get. The stories lack plausibility and there is no slice of realism. The stories might as well take place in Alice In Wonderland as true scientific exposition is non-existent in Dan Slott's wacky Spider-Man world.

I will dare to say that Pete was less of a loser under competent writers, even with the old Parker luck, which to me is used way too often as an excuse.

#35 Posted by g2_ (11622 posts) - - Show Bio

even miles morales is treated better.

#36 Posted by ItsaWorld (2376 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_waffle said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

@christianrapper said:

@christianrapper said:

My point wasn't referring to his status as a successful CEO, far from it actually. It's about the plot driven writing style, which to me is quite nonsensical in it's execution. It's also about Spider-Man being so much out of character. I dislike that Pete is a composite of Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne.

For decades, Spider-Man was a formidable, resourceful, independent and unique super hero, but under Slott, the book has become quite campy and Spidey a man-child character.

The book seems to be aimed at a much younger demographic and IMO, Spider-Man is immature and way too jokey rather than seeing a successful crime-fighter utilizing his wit and sarcastic sense of humor. There's a big difference between using toilet humor and silly pop culture references to writing timeless wit and clever humor.

In this current run, despite Spidey being a successful CEO still needs a lab full of scientists and technicians to do things for him, the women either want to sabotage the company, sleep with him, kill him or give him advice and he's none the wiser for it. That to me is a loser! Being a billionaire does not mean one is no longer a loser.

The disrespect for me comes in the form that Slott does not give attention to Pete's strengths, but writes him as some kind of incompetent genius that needs all the help he can get. The stories lack plausibility and there is no slice of realism. The stories might as well take place in Alice In Wonderland as true scientific exposition is non-existent in Dan Slott's wacky Spider-Man world.

I will dare to say that Pete was less of a loser under competent writers, even with the old Parker luck, which to me is used way too often as an excuse.

YES! Exactly! Spider-Man doesn't need to be a rich playboy to stop being a looser, he need a COMPETENT WRITER. Some of the best comics were when he was married to MJ and had juggled around 2 jobs. Money has nothing to do with making someone better, heck, in Peter's case it makes it worse. He is way more annoying now that he is rich and a CEO because his personality and character have altered so drastically. Any why is every woman on the dang planet trying to destroy him?! Is this part of Mephisto's deal?!

Peter was never meant to be Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne. He was meant to always be Peter Parker, a hero who was supposed to show a more humble lifestyle and to show that even heroes will struggle. And even when you struggle, you can still be happy.

Yes there were times he was a complete looser or failure but those situations only lasted briefly before he got back up and became more competent. But this has gone on waaaay too long.

Parker Industries seems more like that episode of the Spider-Man Cartoon from the 90s where Peter meets himself from another universe where he is rich and has all sorts of gadgets...yet is a total tool. Speaking of, isn't it that every time Peter has been shown a reality where he is rich and successful or has been granted a glimpse at what he could do and become if rich and successful, it never ends well? Like he is a horrible person in those realities. Why would we let this happen when every other story before warned DON'T DO IT PETER! IT CORRUPTS YOU!

If DC acquired Spider-Man right now, I bet they would make him waaay more enjoyable and competent. Right now, DC has realized you don't really need to alter a character so drastically to spice things up, its the stories and adventures that decide how enjoyable they are. They now will be doing Rebirth and its fantastic.

Superman is now married to Lois with a kid. DC realized that fans were heartbroken that they split the two up and brought them back together and decided to now tackle some different stories about family within his comics.

Batman continues to be the billionaire playboy but stays true to his character. He is complex and dark yet has been shown to have a very caring side in some way when it comes to the youth and will be somewhat of a teacher for some heroes in the future comics.

Harley Quinn is finally over her abusive relationship and has thrown Joker to the curb. This was done really well with lots of delving into the character, feelings and history.

After long debates if redoing WonderWoman's origin was a good idea, the newest WonderWoman comics will be making the amazonian venture into her origins and discover the truth about herself.

If DC got Spider-Man, they'd probably get a competent writer for him, make him married to Mary Jane again, probably experiment with several jobs Peter could have and see what fans like more, remove all the weird new gadgets and equipment he has acquired (I have a forever hatred of the spidey car), restore his personality and probably make him a member of the Justice League. And if they were in a real giving mood, maybe they'd give us AMP?

#37 Posted by AdamAnouer (1023 posts) - - Show Bio

Well here's the thing a crossover event between Marvel and DC a few years ago called Marvel Access allowed the companies to gain the rights to do crossovers on a whim. I'm not entirely sure how it works but I do know DC did once use the right in a comic issue....I'll try to find the link.

If Spider-Man were rebooted under a DC logo I get the feeling more emphasis would be put on his super hero relationships than his personal ones.

#38 Posted by Jimishim12 (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_waffle:

Hes in good thanks thanks to slott. Tldr rich spidey > married spidey.

#39 Posted by ItsaWorld (2376 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya know....if he was part of the DC world....do you think the Daily Planet would pay him more for his pictures?

Jimmy would probably go head to head with him for good shots.

#40 Posted by Heatblaze (10399 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Edited by The_Waffle (690 posts) - - Show Bio

@jimishim12 said:

@the_waffle:

Hes in good thanks thanks to slott. Tldr rich spidey > married spidey.

Good hands thanks?? edit your writing. Yeah, if you prefer crap dialogue and characters you're in the right place.

#42 Posted by christianrapper (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

i would not put spidey in gotham. it will take massive pis to make any ot them a challenge. he will do better against some of the flash's villains. a lot of them are above street level, but not massively op. stick him in central city.

#43 Posted by segamarvel (991 posts) - - Show Bio
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Does it count if he's been seen a couple times in the DC universe? (not in actual crossovers kinda way but as more of an easter egg or reference/cameo kinda thing) Honestly he might just be taking Jimmy Olsen's place as superman's photographer or something like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.