Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man Comics Discussion

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41704  Edited By ZariusII

@ursaber: To be fair to Spencer, he did warn us in advance the identity was pretty guessable, the actual mystery was the motivation

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

yeah I’m disappointed as well ngl... seems like a retread

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41706  Edited By Thor-Parker

SPOILERS !!

I don't know what to think about the reveal, the issue was pretty good but I just don't understand how this fits in the timeline since Harry has been alive for a long time and even had a very close relationship with Peter during the Parker Industries stuff, plus his children and how protective he had become of them. Harry was genuinely a good guy and having him be a villain again just doesn't sit right with me, I have always wanted the Peter/Harry friendship to be developed even more and for him to have a more present role as a supporting character and be a meaningful friendship and undisputable best friend for Peter, so far Peter lacks that meaningful best friend role in his books, something that was one of the strongest aspects in the Raimi trilogy, I loved their friendship and have always wanted that to have a bigger role in the comics, kind of like Reed & Ben.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41707  Edited By Thor-Parker
    ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41708  Edited By ZariusII

@thor-parker: Dude, Mary Jane was filling the best friend role for years with and without Harry around (and yes, your lover/partner can be both that and the best friend too), there's really been no need for him. And using the Raimi trilogy is a poor example as those films are awful depictions of the characters for the most part

Slott has actually been very public about how much he disliked the way he brought Harry back, as much as he tried to do some good with it in the PI era, the truth is Harry just isn't that interesting unless he's unhinged. I grew up with Spidey in the 90s so all I care about is the dangerous side of Harry.

Avatar image for applekidthethird
    Applekidthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comicpop called it like a month ago

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@thor-parker: Dude, Mary Jane was filling the best friend role for years with and without Harry around (and yes, your lover/partner can be both that and the best friend too), there's really been no need for him. And using the Raimi trilogy is a poor example as those films are awful depictions of the characters for the most part

Slott has actually been very public about how much he disliked the way he brought Harry back, as much as he tried to do some good with it in the PI era, the truth is Harry just isn't that interesting unless he's unhinged. I grew up with Spidey in the 90s so all I care about is the dangerous side of Harry.

Yes, but like you just mentioned, she was also his girlfriend and wife later on, it's a different relationship than one with a best friend, especially one of the same sex. Reed has Sue but also has Ben as well, and one does not take away from the other, the way they interact and what each brings to the table is completely different. The Raimi films are beloved by the vast majority and the Peter/Harry relationships has always been considered one of its highlights. It is by no means a perfect representation of the characters, I have been very vocal about that and my dislike towards Raimi's MJ and other stuff, but the Peter/Harry friendship was done really well.

I'm not saying Slott did a good or bad job using Harry Osborn, I am merely stating that I don't understand how the Kindred reveal works within the timeline considering Harry has been back for a long time and had a close relationship with Peter during the PI era.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The reveal was rather anti-climatic. There isn't a real problem with the reveal or anything even though I would've preferred Spencer to take a different road and approach but as it was previously mentioned by you guys, it doesn't really fit. It seems like an odd choice for the identity of Kindred and it seems even weirder when you consider his very mysterious power set.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

The reveal was rather anti-climatic. There isn't a real problem with the reveal or anything even though I would've preferred Spencer to take a different road and approach but as it was previously mentioned by you guys, it doesn't really fit. It seems like an odd choice for the identity of Kindred and it seems even weirder when you consider his very mysterious power set.

On the contrary, I feel it fits perfectly, especially if you acknowledge One More Day exists, which it's pretty apparent Marvel do or are now willing to at this point.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@zariusii said:
    @tdk_1997 said:

On the contrary, I feel it fits perfectly, especially if you acknowledge One More Day exists, which it's pretty apparent Marvel do or are now willing to at this point.

I am interested in hearing your opinion considering OMD and all.

P.S: I don't mean it in a condescending way or anything, truly interested.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:
    @zariusii said:
    @tdk_1997 said:

I am interested in hearing your opinion considering OMD and all.

P.S: I don't mean it in a condescending way or anything, truly interested.

That's cool man.

The reason I say it fits very well is due to Harry having come back at the end of OMD, all too conveniently after reality was altered by Mephisto at the expense of the marraige. Peter has forgotten all about dealing with a demonic entity (as alluded to by Doctor Strange in this week's issue) and Kindred's mission has been to remind Peter of a sin he has buried.

It stands to reason the Harry we see here are the titular 'last remains' of the Harry that existed pre-OMD. In the 2000s, it was revealed Harry was actually caught as a ferryman trapped between heaven and hell, so we know his deeds as the Green Goblin did not go unpunished.

Mysterio was said to have been involved in covering up Harry's resurrection, but we now know Mysterio was brought back from hell by Kindred/Harry, and is a master of illusion, so he may have altered several people's memories or made them believe they had involvement in Harry's return like Norman, purely on Kindred's instructions.

We operate on the assumption OMD will never be brought back up, and so take Harry's redemption arc at face value and not at all superficial and suspect, but since 2016 there's been a 'slow burn' in acknowledging it more bit by bit, starting in the pages of Spider-Man/Deadpool when Mephisto visited Peter in a dream, reminding him of what he lost. Since then, we've seen characters like Miles and Otto make deals with Mephisto for their own benefit.

Spencer is either building towards OMD being reversed in issue 900, or at the very least acknowledged so Peter can begin the next phase of his journey, having put his past sin behind him, and work towards happiness with MJ.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@tdk_1997 said:

I'm glad Spencer stuck to his vision and didn't change it even though many guessed who he was. Honestly, it was about time Harry took a step away from the Goblin nonsense in a fundamental way. He was never going to overshadow Osborne in that regard so this might be a fresh take on the formula.

I will say this, there's a lot spencer has to explain how this even works because as I recall Harry was last living by another name, had a son, and all of that.

I think the most interesting take would have been George Stacy, which is an option I never considered before and actually fits quite well in many regards. His hatred for Norman and Peter for getting Gwen killed would make sense.

But alas, Spencer has been stretching this for 50 issues so I'm sure he has a plan - kindred said so much himself.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41719  Edited By ZariusII
    Loading Video...

@animehunter: Be here in January to see how the pieces fit as Spider-Man heads to space!

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41721  Edited By ZariusII

@animehunter: o Take a look at the recap page, it states Norman "claims" Kindred is Harry, so now it's clear they want you to keep guessing as to whether it's Harry or Gabriel since Norman is acting on a belief

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41724  Edited By animehunter
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: Nice to know Spencer decided against constantly giving us red herrings, and confirming that Kindred really is Harry.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78:

those ships simply will not happen and from the looks of Marvel, they have no interest in even esleworlds of Spidey with other hero chicks

from examples like Carol and Mockingbird, they will not end well or progress well

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41733  Edited By darthfury78
    @ursaber said:

@darthfury78:

those ships simply will not happen and from the looks of Marvel, they have no interest in even esleworlds of Spidey with other hero chicks

from examples like Carol and Mockingbird, they will not end well or progress well

In the case of Mockingbird, making Bobbi a love interest for Peter was a big mistake. The focus is on their shared interests, which is their love for scientific research and development. The problem with Marvel not wanting Spider-Man x Super heroine is the writer. The focus should not be to make Peter x super heroine lovers. The idea is to make them close allies who have more in common with him based on their mutual interests. This is the bedrock to a strong friendship, first and foremost. The reason to why Peter's relationship with Bobbi failed was because of Slott's writing. We all knew how that would turn out: crash and burn. We only have to see how Slott treated Carlie Cooper and Silk towards Peter. Relationships are the key to forward a story plot that doesn't have to led to the bed room.

The folks that Marvel are too fixated with either Black Cat or Mary Jane for Peter Parker/Spider-Man. I would like to see Black Cat move on to other places while bringing in characters (from other part of the MU) to Spider-Man's world. Other comic books titles have brought in other characters. Why not Spider-Man's world.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@darthfury78:

There's no getting through to fury ursaber, he's been on this kick about other 'ships for years, and it go so bad at one point even Slott was telling him to knock it off. Let him rant to his hearts content about it, he knows it's never gonna happen either, he just loves the sound of his own voice too much to take the L and move on

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter

@ursaber

@quilsniv

@blackspidey2099

@marvelman92

@mizerous

@thor-parker

The Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – Death Metal Beats Rorschach

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-death-metal-beats-rorschach/

Posted on October 18, 2020 | by Rich Johnston | Comments

This is the Top Ten Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, as compiled by a number of comic stores from their sales on Wednesday and Thursday. It measures what are known as the "Wednesday Warriors", those who can't wait till the weekend to get this week's comics. Though thanks to DC, Tuesday Titans too. And this week, it's the Death Metal, Amazing Spider-Man and Rorschach three-step.. If any other retailers would like to report their top sellers, please contact richjohnston@bleedingcool.com. And apologies for the day – the weekend was hell. More hell than usual, I mean.

The Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – Death Metal Beats Rorschach

Top Ten Bleeding Cool Bestseller comics of the week

Dark Knights Death Metal #4 only just topped the bestseller charts, pipping Amazing Spider-Man #50 to the top and both significantly ahead of Rorschach #1 which does not seem to be achieving Doomsday Clock numbers. It is also noting that Hellions, which I thought was a cracking comic this week, is well below its other X Of Swords chapters. And Commanders In Crisis #1 made a decent stab of a launch from Image, just outside the top ten, but below other recent comparable launches from Image and Boom.

1. Dark Knights Death Metal #4
    2. Amazing Spider-Man #50
    3. Rorschach #1
    4. New Mutants #13
    5. Cable #5
    6. Avengers #37
    7. Hellions #5
    8. Immortal Hulk #38
    9. Star Wars Darth Vader #6
    10. DC Doomed and the Damned #1

Thanks to the following bestseller retailers…

If you would like to contribute to the bestseller retailer charts, let me know at richjohnston@bleedingcool.com.

Who had this to say…

• Rodman Comics: Alex Ross covers push the Marvel sales needle here still. More and more people are jumping on the Alex Ross timeless covers. Dark Knights Death Metal 4 easily took the top spot. Good sales week.
      Ssalefish Comics: Dark Nights Death Metal topped the charts this week and Amazing came in hot behind it with increased interest on the heels of 850 and presumably those last page spoilers. All the X of Swords chapters are doing pretty well but Cable and Hellions came in at lower sales numbers than many of the other parts. Still haven't quite convinced everyone that they need those parts for the story to really be enjoyed. 22 chapters is a daunting number. Rorschach had a solid debut as well.
    • Graham Crackers Comics: DC took the top spots with DARK NIGHTS METAL and RORSCHACH which was no surprise but MARVEL grabbed 7 of the best selling top 10 titles this week in our 12 locations. Very strong week of releases resulting in good titles for everyone – its nice when the weeks releases has just about something for every subscriber!in the system. X of Swords continues to perform well with people picking up most tie-ins. except for the
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41736  Edited By animehunter
    ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41737  Edited By ZariusII

@animehunter: Gwen is the "unattainable ideal", HA, Gwen cultists, forever forgetting "Sins Past", which is proof that things would not have 'worked out' if Gwen had lived. Peter would have wound up being a cuck father.

I do sort of agree with the bit about Gwen being a "myth" though.

Peter came to terms with MJ being number one in his mind a generation ago, even Mephisto called their love the purest thing to that which he hates most. Without the sacrifice of that purest form of love, CBR would not have the twisted reality they lavish praise on now, a reality that Peter and MJ's purest love has now been able to overcome.

The marriage never ended either. We got stories with it all decade, and we still get stories dealing with it or it's legacy, albeit in shorter supply than previously (I'm counting appearances from Annie and Marvel#1000 and 10001)

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41739  Edited By ZariusII
    MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@blackspidey2099

@quilsniv

@thor-parker

@mizerous

Loading Video...

She's only appeared three times this season and, while this show had so much wrong with it, the fact it can lay claim to having the best developed Peter/MJ relationship in an animated medium for a considerable while is saying something.

Yeah. I Mean, This Was Really Something To Say. So Sad If This Really Is About To Come To An End. Really Hope They End This With A Bang. And I Really Hope In The Next Spider-Man Serues Felicia Day Reprises Her Role.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41742  Edited By animehunter

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #56

NICK SPENCER (W) • MARK BAGLEY (A/C)

“LAST REMAINS” TAKES ITS TOLL!

• You will never look at Norman or Harry Osborn the same again.

• We know SPIDER-MAN won’t.

-

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #57

• Spider-Man continues to pick up the pieces and try to put his life together.

• But many of the gathering storms are swirling more and more violently...

• We want to tell you more but it WOULD SPOIL SO MUCH OF LAST REMAINS!!!

-

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #58

Variant Cover by JUNGGEUN YOON

• One era of Nick Spencer’s run comes to a shocking end this issue…

• But the seeds that he’s planted along the way for the next start to bloom.

• Don’t miss this pivotal issue!

-

@ursaber, @quilsniv, @blackspidey2099, @mizerous, @marvelman92, @supermanthor, @thor_parker82, @zariusii

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: Hopefully the end of the 'era' isn't curtains for Peter and MJ...though if it is, I have a feeling they'll be back together before the build to issue 100.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41746  Edited By ZariusII

@animehunter

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@blackspidey2099

@thor-parker

@mizerous

@quilsniv

Amazing Spider-Man#50.LR

The escape craft is damaged extensively in Spidey's battle against the Kindred-possessed order of the web, Peter manages to rescue Anya, Jessica, Julia, Gwen and Miles, but all it gets him into is more trouble as they pin him down and unleash a thousand poisonous spiders onto his body, injecting him with venom. Kindred, talking through each order member, instructs Peter to come find him alone, and then sets the order on a mission to find Norman Osborn.

Norman in the meantime is talking to Doctor Kafka about Kindred, that he wants his little boy Harry back, and to atone for the sins of the father (he makes absolutely no mention of Gabriel at all here), Kafka says Harry won't listen to Norman, but asks if there is anyone who could reach him, someone he could trust...we cut to an airport somewhere in the city where just such a person arrives...MARY JANE. She's apparently only visiting New York however

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41747  Edited By animehunter
    ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: Nick Lowe also says in the afterword that the .LR issues won't focus as much on Peter, but will be focusing on other characters, including Mary Jane

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: @zariusii:

So sad that MJ is only back for visiting

Hopefully events change that mission and whatever showbiz thing she's currently on after the silent cancellation of AMJ

and she returns to ASM proper after over 20 issues!

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41750  Edited By ZariusII

@ursaber said:

@animehunter: @zariusii:

So sad that MJ is only back for visiting

Hopefully events change that mission and whatever showbiz thing she's currently on after the silent cancellation of AMJ

and she returns to ASM proper after over 20 issues!

I hope they clear up the continuity, the first part of Sins Rising run side-by-side with the events of issue six of Amazing MJ, which was the real reason MJ missed the dinner date with Peter., and then Peter got dragged into the whole Sin Eater business.

Did a few days/weeks elapse during the Sins Rising arc? Because that would make sense and give all of the time possible for MJ to have tidied up the witness protection fiasco off-panel and come home to Peter...but she must still be dealing with the movie tour.

Something similar happened in the final few storylines of the newspaper strip when MJ was called away to promote her Marvella II feature, she wound up returning when her tour took a break and she went back to Peter, but after that story she went on tour yet again before coming home permanently (upon learning her movie didn't test well with critics and would bomb, so she and Peter decided to go vacation in Australia to unwind and forget about the whole pointless exercise)

MJ could perhaps get involved in the Last Remains storyline, but it's also possible Peter won't be aware she's back, and MJ has an adventure to herself and then has to leave again, possibly because Kindred blackmails her emotionally with the knowledge she worked with Mysterio and forgave him for a lot of his crimes, which would upset Peter, that would lead into the solicitations for January which detail Peter trying to piece together his life but still have no emotional safety net in MJ.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.