Spider-Man Comics Discussion

#39401 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio

@quilsniv said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@quilsniv said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@blackspidey2099 said:

@ursaber: Honestly the only artist I’ve enjoyed so far on this run is Ottley. It’s surprising that Marvel isn’t getting better artistic talent to work on their (arguably) flagship title.

This run so far has had 3 artists, right ? Ottley, Ramos and Bachalo.

Ottley is great, Ramos is an acquired taste, I personally like him and think he has improved very much since his "Big Time" days, and Bachalo's art is a pain to look at IMO.

Now Kev Walker is doing the art, I think he's decent, but I'd like more top notch talent for Marvel's flasghip (fact) title, I personally would love to see someone like Coipel, Marquez, Chechetto or Dauterman on the title, especially the latter, he draws a gorgeous MJ.

Honestly not a big fan of Dauterman. He draws some good stuff, but I've always found his female form to be a bit lacking. Good luck getting Marquez, though; he signed exclusively for DC, he's over there working on Batman/Superman.

We also had Gerardo Sandoval filling in for Ramos during Hunted, in issues 19 and 21. Walker is going to be another acquired taste, to be honest; I didn't really fall in love with the preview for 26, but I liked his work on Doctor Aphra, so I'll give him a shot.

Marquez signed an exclusive deal with DC ? I was not aware of that, I might even pick up Batman/Superman just for him, his art is glorious to look at.

Who's writing the Batman/Superman book ? Is it good ?

It's by Joshua Williamson, and it's supposed to be taking place after Snyder's Batman Who Laughs mini. He's a fairly solid guy who delivers, but his Flash has been going on a bit too long without much progression.

@marvelman92 said:
@quilsniv said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@blackspidey2099 said:

@ursaber: Honestly the only artist I’ve enjoyed so far on this run is Ottley. It’s surprising that Marvel isn’t getting better artistic talent to work on their (arguably) flagship title.

This run so far has had 3 artists, right ? Ottley, Ramos and Bachalo.

Ottley is great, Ramos is an acquired taste, I personally like him and think he has improved very much since his "Big Time" days, and Bachalo's art is a pain to look at IMO.

Now Kev Walker is doing the art, I think he's decent, but I'd like more top notch talent for Marvel's flasghip (fact) title, I personally would love to see someone like Coipel, Marquez, Chechetto or Dauterman on the title, especially the latter, he draws a gorgeous MJ.

Honestly not a big fan of Dauterman. He draws some good stuff, but I've always found his female form to be a bit lacking. Good luck getting Marquez, though; he signed exclusively for DC, he's over there working on Batman/Superman.

We also had Gerardo Sandoval filling in for Ramos during Hunted, in issues 19 and 21. Walker is going to be another acquired taste, to be honest; I didn't really fall in love with the preview for 26, but I liked his work on Doctor Aphra, so I'll give him a shot.

Well, I Don't Think Marquez Has Actually Done That. Nothing Else Has Been Confirmed. Usually When Stuff Like That Happens,There's Suppose To Be Multiple Sources. And Besides Newsarama, I Found Nothing Else That Confirmed That. And He's Stated Nothing Of This. He Just Likes To Do The Work. This Could Be The Same Like With Jim Cheung Where He's Working With Snyder On Justice League And Is Doing The Covers, Yet He Confirms That He's Still Doing Stuff For Marvel. Marquez Has Yet To Confirm Anything. So, Hopefully We Would See Something Else From Him Soon With Marvel. Him Doing A Spider-Man Story Would Be A Good Way For Him To Come Back There.

As For Dauterman, He's Really Great On Mighty Thor. But, His War Of The Realms Felt Really Off. Like Some Of The Things Felt A Little 3D And Not Bented Well. His Last Issue Was An Improvement. Hopefully He Does Well Later On. Heard He's Doing And X-Men Project With Hickman.

>Nothing else has been confirmed

Don't say things when you don't know what you're saying.

https://www.newsarama.com/44962-david-marquez-jumps-from-marvel-to-dc-for-exclusive-contract.html

I Meant From Newsarama. No Other Sites Could Confirm It. It Could Be Them jumping To Conclusions. They Could Get Things Wrong.

#39402 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio
#39403 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio
#39404 Posted by animehunter (8854 posts) - - Show Bio
#39405 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#39406 Posted by blackspidey2099 (7073 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: it's np, i was probably a bit out of line in my response as well.

@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@blackspidey2099 (sorry for arguing, you caught me in a fowl mood that day)

@mizerous

@supermanthor

Marvel's RED GOBLIN Rides Again in RED DEATH

No Caption Provided

Face It Tiger, You're Getting an AMAZING MARY JANE Ongoing

No Caption Provided

(sadly, I think we're reaching the end of Peter and MJ together)

OH @#$% YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

An MJ title!! That's epic. But why do you think Marvel is breaking them up again? Did they say something about that at SDCC?

#39407 Edited by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82, @infantfinite128

@blackspidey2099 said:

@marvelman92 said:
@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@mizerous

@supermanthor

No Caption Provided

OH @#$% YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

An MJ title!! That's epic. But why do you think Marvel is breaking them up again? Did they say something about that at SDCC?

What are the writer's credentials?

And who is the artist Carlos Gomez?

^^

Who said this and why!?

#39408 Edited by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio
#39409 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

@blackspidey2099 said:

@marvelman92 said:
@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@mizerous

@supermanthor

No Caption Provided

OH @#$% YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

^^

Who said this and why!?

They Didn't Break Up. They're In A Long Distance Relationship. So, They're Fine. Carlos Gomez Did Red Sonja.

Goblin Is Being Written By Patrick Gleason, Rob Fee, And Sean Ryan. Mary Jane Is Being Written By Leah Williams.

#39410 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio
#39412 Edited by animehunter (8854 posts) - - Show Bio

A poster over at Crawlspace posted the highlights from the spidey panel

The Spider-Man panel at SDCC was held this afternoon.

https://www.cbr.com/sdcc-marvel-comics- ... man-panel/

Some hightlights:

-Mary Jane Watson is getting her own book. Billed as an ongoing by Marvel, it's actually a five issue mini, but with an option to expand it into an ongoing if the sales are good enough.

-ASM #30 and #31 will tie into Absolute Carnage, which will also see Norman Osborn's return to the series. Kindred will be featured as well.

-Miguel O'Hara will play a role in an issue drawn by Patrick Gleason. A mystery 2099 event by Spencer has also been teased by Marvel.

-"Full Circle" is essentially a "Round Robin" writing challenge- one writer will start the story, complicates things, and then hands it off to another writer.

- Spider-Gwen will be spending time in both the 616 as well as her home dimension.

- The Black Cat will apparently be going on a date with Johnny Storm in an upcoming issue of her ongoing series.

- Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man will have an issue focusing on The Rumor, then a two part MJ story.

-Miles Morales will star in a six part "Spider-Verse" limited series where he visits other dimensions and alternate versions of Spider-Men from across the multiverse.

We've also had word from the Retailers summit that The Red Goblin will return for a one shot to tie into Absolute Carnage in October.

-

@ursaber, @quilsniv, @zariusii, @blackspidey2099, @mizerous, @marvelman92, @supermanthor, @thor_parker82

#39413 Edited by animehunter (8854 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92 said:
@ursaber said:

@blackspidey2099 said:

@marvelman92 said:
@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@mizerous

@supermanthor

No Caption Provided

OH @#$% YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

^^

Who said this and why!?

They Didn't Break Up. They're In A Long Distance Relationship. So, They're Fine. Carlos Gomez Did Red Sonja.

Goblin Is Being Written By Patrick Gleason, Rob Fee, And Sean Ryan. Mary Jane Is Being Written By Leah Williams.

As @marvelman92 said, Marvel is NOT breaking them up, she's just going to location for filming, which is actors do.

Plus as mention she's getting her own 2 issues story in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man

#39414 Posted by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter:

I was just wondering who said the following:

Not that Peter and MJ were breaking up. They're in it for the foreseeable future.

#39415 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16620 posts) - - Show Bio

They are here to stay.

No Caption Provided

#39416 Edited by ZariusII (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

@animehunter:

Not that Peter and MJ were breaking up. They're in it for the foreseeable future.

I did. I got a little paranoid, then I calmed down. I remembered even the newspaper strip did the whole 'long distance thing' not too long ago.

#39417 Posted by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:
@ursaber said:

@animehunter:

I did. I got a little paranoid, then I calmed down. I remembered even the newspaper strip did the whole 'long distance thing' not too long ago.

And ASM during the marriage era as well

#39418 Edited by ZariusII (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter

@ursaber

So it's a a mini-series...apparently Marvel got their wires crossed and told Newsarama it was an ongoing, perhaps they are confident sales will be good?

If it becomes an ongoing, I can see MJ and Carlie Cooper working together to solve a couple of crimes while based in New York, possibly that actress from issue 25 crops up as part of MJ's new supporting cast, maybe MJ's fame allows her to perform on Secret Hospital again.

Lots of possibilities...all while keeping Peter and MJ together of course.

#39419 Posted by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii:

If its sales are good then it can continue as an ongoing but if not the story will close up nicely after five issues.

#39420 Posted by ZariusII (6130 posts) - - Show Bio
#39421 Edited by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio
#39422 Edited by ZariusII (6130 posts) - - Show Bio
#39423 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio
#39425 Posted by ZariusII (6130 posts) - - Show Bio
#39428 Edited by ZariusII (6130 posts) - - Show Bio
#39429 Posted by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@quilsniv

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@supermanthor

@blackspidey2099

@mizerous

SDCC 2019: DAWN OF X in MARVEL's Next Big Thing Panel

"It's gonna be very very damaging," said Lowe of the story in Spider-Man (Abrams)

My thoughts:

Ugh, now I'm worried they might break Peter and MJ up here, Spencer doesn't have to get his fingers dirty, he'll just let JJ and his kid take the heat and press forward.

Lets not expect the worse. Perhaps its something else that gets damaged and not the relationship of Peter and MJ. I believe Peter and MJ are safe for the foreseeable future.

This five part Spider-Man story by Abrams and son is more like a featured story because of who is writing it but won't have so great an impact in the ongoing Spider-Man comics.

#39430 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16620 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@quilsniv

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@supermanthor

@blackspidey2099

@mizerous

"It's gonna be very very damaging," said Lowe of the story in Spider-Man (Abrams)

My thoughts:

Ugh, now I'm worried they might break Peter and MJ up here, Spencer doesn't have to get his fingers dirty, he'll just let JJ and his kid take the heat and press forward.

Dude, stop worrying so much, you're being paranoid, they'll be fine.

Stop making me worry haha

#39432 Posted by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@quilsniv

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@supermanthor

@blackspidey2099

@mizerous

My thoughts:

second it!

#39434 Posted by ZariusII (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@quilsniv

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@supermanthor

@blackspidey2099

@mizerous

My thoughts:

I probably am being too worrisome....but I don't think Abrams would sign on for filler work y'know, and we're all expecting Peter and MJ to eventually be tested down the line. If Spencer's not willing to do it and explore difficulty in their relationship differently, perhaps someone else like the Abrams are more willing to tackle the usual deconstruction we're used to with post-OMD Peter and MJ.

I don't mean to worry anyone, but you have to be prepared for the other shoe to drop at all times

#39435 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber:

third it

too much negative thinking

He already automatically assumed that Peter and Mary Jane will break up after learning about Mary Jane having her mini-series that might be an on-going.

That thought never crossed my mind.

I think it's a great time to be a Peter/Mary Jane fan.

Peter and Mary Jane's relationship will be fine.

They will have challenges like most comic book couples, and their relationship will survive.

#39436 Posted by ZariusII (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter

@ursaber

@marvelman92

@blackspidey2099

It appears the reprints are going to continue with the Spider-Man newspaper strip...today marked the start of a 2015 adventure involving the Hobgoblin. Spoiler...this is the one with Black Widow. In some way, it makes all the sense in the world to run with this because Widow's movie is out in early 2020.

Also, with the launch of the Mary Jane title in October, the other main story in the strip, MJ continuing to film Marvella 2, has even more relevance as 616 MJ is filming a movie.

#39437 Posted by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@quilsniv

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@supermanthor

@blackspidey2099

@mizerous

My thoughts:

I probably am being too worrisome....but I don't think Abrams would sign on for filler work y'know, and we're all expecting Peter and MJ to eventually be tested down the line. If Spencer's not willing to do it and explore difficulty in their relationship differently, perhaps someone else like the Abrams are more willing to tackle the usual deconstruction we're used to with post-OMD Peter and MJ.

I don't mean to worry anyone, but you have to be prepared for the other shoe to drop at all times

I think we all know, IF Spencer wanted to test Peter and MJ, he would not shy away from it. He's ballsy if Secret Empire and Nazi Cap didn't already tell you that.

I think Abrams' goal here is not to leave a lasting impact on Peter and MJ's relationship, but to introduce a new and memorable villain in Spidey's iconic rogues gallery.

#39438 Posted by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@ursaber

@marvelman92

@blackspidey2099

It appears the reprints are going to continue with the Spider-Man newspaper strip...today marked the start of a 2015 adventure involving the Hobgoblin. Spoiler...this is the one with Black Widow. In some way, it makes all the sense in the world to run with this because Widow's movie is out in early 2020.

Also, with the launch of the Mary Jane title in October, the other main story in the strip, MJ continuing to film Marvella 2, has even more relevance as 616 MJ is filming a movie.

good for us then

#39439 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio

Report AdSUBMIT TIPCONTACTCGC INSIDER

Home » Comics » The Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, 21st July, 2019 – “Matt Fraction Is Still Alive, Which Is Good“

The Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, 21st July, 2019 – “Matt Fraction Is Still Alive, Which Is Good“

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07/21/the-bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-21st-july-2019-matt-fraction-is-still-alive-which-is-good/

Posted by Rich Johnston July 21, 2019 1 Comment

This is the Top Ten Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, as compiled by a number of comic stores from their sales on Wednesday and Thursday. It measures what are known as the “Wednesday Warriors”, those who can’t wait till the weekend to get this week’s comics. Batman tops the charts just above the Justice League, but the launch of Jimmy Olsen and Loki do well. Love And Rockets makes a first appearance in this list and it’s goodbye to the other League

Top ten bestselling comics of the week

1. Batman #75
  2. Justice League #28
  3. Silver Surfer Black #2
  4. Spider-Man Life Story #5
  5. Uncanny X-Men #22
  6. Jimmy Olsen #1
  7. Immortal Hulk #21
  8. Loki #1
  9. Daredevil #8
  10. League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Tempest #6

Thanks to the following retailers…

Who had this to say:

Report Ad

Does anybody remember a week without a Batman book? FFF sure doesn’t. Another week and another Batbook at the top of our Weekly Bestseller list. Our surprise #2 bestseller is actually the first issue of Loki. Hot off the heels of Marvel’s okayest event in the last ten years, the Trickster god had a great first week with his new title. We’ll see if it can hold the numbers. Even with Batman topping the list, this week definitely went to Marvel with the House of Ideas taking 6 spots total in our Top Ten. Silver Surfer Black and Spider-Man Life Story are both doing well for minis and Immortal Hulk always seems to find a spot somewhere on our Top Ten. So it turns out Matt Fraction is still alive, which is good, and hisJimmy Olsen made it to the #5 in our Top Ten. I imagine it will keep about the same sales (as long as it keeps coming out). Event Leviathan and Amazing Spider-Man are enjoying successful subsequent weeks taking the #8 and #9 spots respectively.

Report Ad

—-

Slow week for books, but it’s not too surprising considering four Batman books came out last week and everything else comes out next week. I’ve got the feeling a lot of folks are biding their time for Batman Curse of the White Knight and House of X’s release. The Jimmy Olsen book did a lot better than we’d expected; I reckon people are excited for Matt Fraction more than anything. Notably absent from this week’s bestsellers was Immortal Hulk, which has, by this point, lost most of its speculator heat and is tapering off rapidly in sales overall. Spider-Man Life Storycontinues to gain traction with every new issue, though, which is nice to see.

—-

Solid sales week.

This week brings us pretty standard looking sales numbers. BATMAN #75 is a “milestone” issue, but BATMAN would almost certainly be the top spot this week regardless. Other strong performers include reliables like JUSTICE LEAGUE and UNCANNY X-MEN, as well as the cosmic psychedelia of the SILVER SURFER BLACK miniseries.

Report Ad

Middle of the list has IMMORTAL HULK and SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY continuing to generate commanding sales, as well as the first issue of the new LOKI ongoing.

Towards the bottom we have the latest entrant in Marvel’s Facsimile Edition line, with GIANT-SIZED X-MEN #1.

—-

DC took first place in our shop this week with Batman #75, but only one other DC title–Justice League–placed in the top ten. Otherwise, it was seven Marvels and one Titan title (Blade Runner 2019). And if Dan DiDio has been concerned about Marvel facsimile editions outselling most new DC titles, he should be doubly worried now: our eleventh place title was Giant-Size X-Men #1 Facsimile Edition and our twelfth place title was Vampirella #1 facsimile edition, so reprints of 45 and 50-year-old comic books outsold almost every brand new DC title this week! Perhaps it’s time to buy all of DC’s creators copies of these facsimile editions so that they can see what they should be doing…

—-

Love and Rockets is Surprisingly number one. Whoo!

#39440 Posted by ZariusII (6130 posts) - - Show Bio
#39441 Posted by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio
#39442 Posted by QuilSniv (456 posts) - - Show Bio
#39445 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio

@quilsniv said:
@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@ursaber

@blackspidey2099

@supermanthor

@mizerous

Notifying you guys of the above information because @marvelman92 failed to do so AGAIN (seriously dude, you've been told enough times, what gives?)

>Didn't even get a notification.

Aw... (Seriously MarvelMan, what's up?)

No Caption Provided

Using My Phone Lately. Have Some Stuff. I Don't Want It To Refresh Automatically Again. Plus, I Kinda Thought You Guys Would Get This Anyway. O Have This Site On My Tabs. Doesn't Anybody Do The Same With Their's?

#39446 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio
#39447 Posted by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii:

What's that supposed to be? King who?

#39448 Posted by QuilSniv (456 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber: Looks like Shuma Gorath. It might have something to do with Waid’s Doctor Strange run supposedly ending in September. (I hope not, to be honest, Waid’s run on Strange has been fantastic.) Even though it’s blue here, and Shuma Gorath is traditionally green, but then again people have drawing Wolverine like he’s six feet tall for years now.

#39449 Posted by ursaber (10638 posts) - - Show Bio

@quilsniv said:

@ursaber: Looks like Shuma Gorath. It might have something to do with Waid’s Doctor Strange run supposedly ending in September. (I hope not, to be honest, Waid’s run on Strange has been fantastic.) Even though it’s blue here, and Shuma Gorath is traditionally green, but then again people have drawing Wolverine like he’s six feet tall for years now.

But who is the humanoid silhouette?

BTW, that blue tentacle monster does not look like one eyed green Shuma Gorath.

What book will Waid tackle after Doctor Strange?

#39450 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.