Spider-Man Comics Discussion

#27901 Posted by ItsaWorld (2230 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay guys, the following months are goanna get wierd. I mean...damn...the sales plummeted for RYV. My guess? 20k for now. What do we expect though when it has to fight against several other Spider-Man titles.

But here's the deal, we do know there have been demmands by shops for more copies of the latest RYV issue. My shop had it sold out because of the concept.

So my guess...those numbers are going to shoot back up probably double. From 20, we may go to 40. And this is where things will get wierd. It still went to chopping block numbers but then shot up. Welcome to schrodegner land. Is RYV dead or alive.

#27902 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay guys, the following months are goanna get wierd. I mean...damn...the sales plummeted for RYV. My guess? 20k for now. What do we expect though when it has to fight against several other Spider-Man titles.

But here's the deal, we do know there have been demmands by shops for more copies of the latest RYV issue. My shop had it sold out because of the concept.

So my guess...those numbers are going to shoot back up probably double. From 20, we may go to 40. And this is where things will get wierd. It still went to chopping block numbers but then shot up. Welcome to schrodegner land. Is RYV dead or alive.

Let's Hope That Sales Actually Go Up For RYV. It'd Actually Be Crazy If It Doesn't. I Mean, AU Series Or Not, It Should Actually Be Able To Sell Incredibly Well.

Avatar image for silveragereader
#27903 Posted by SilverAgeReader (71 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingfantasy:

I was buying an embarrassing number of Marvel titles monthly for a man my age. That all ended at the precise moment They gave us Old Man Steve Rogers. The Avengers went first, then X-Men. Marvel dropped the next ones out from under me, when they stopped publishing Fantastic Four and the Future Foundation. I dropped Thor when Thor was no longer Thor. No more Secret Avengers. No more New Avengers. No more Uncanny Avengers. I lost interest in the All-New X-Men. I dropped Ultimate Spider-Man when they killed the Peter Parker of that universe. I dropped the Hulk when the Hulk was no longer the Hulk.

Etc., etc., etc. I think you get the point.

I dropped Spider-Man when he became "Superior." I only picked it back up when they brought back Peter Parker. I am down to only AMS, Spider-Gwen, RYV, and Captain Marvel. I can't even stand to look at any of the other titles, and even so, I'm often frustrated with things they are doing to the characters in all 4 of these books.

#27904 Posted by ItsaWorld (2230 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsaworld said:

Let's Hope That Sales Actually Go Up For RYV. It'd Actually Be Crazy If It Doesn't. I Mean, AU Series Or Not, It Should Actually Be Able To Sell Incredibly Well.

Then again...MS Marvel and Gwenpool aren't on the list either and they still make em. And they seem to be trying to sell Spinneret as a character....maybe there is more hope than I think.

In fact, Comics and Diversity still says it's a pretty fun book aside from some problems in the current issue (from the way he bashed it, i thought he hated it). And it seems some people in the Marvel Comics industry are trying to keep this one up.

...also.......now that you look at it....did the other spider titles fall? I thought Miles and Gwen were at least in the number 70 block....seems like we have another fall in sales for some reason.

#27905 Posted by ItsaWorld (2230 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingfantasy:

I was buying an embarrassing number of Marvel titles monthly for a man my age. That all ended at the precise moment They gave us Old Man Steve Rogers. The Avengers went first, then X-Men. Marvel dropped the next ones out from under me, when they stopped publishing Fantastic Four and the Future Foundation. I dropped Thor when Thor was no longer Thor. No more Secret Avengers. No more New Avengers. No more Uncanny Avengers. I lost interest in the All-New X-Men. I dropped Ultimate Spider-Man when they killed the Peter Parker of that universe. I dropped the Hulk when the Hulk was no longer the Hulk.

Etc., etc., etc. I think you get the point.

I dropped Spider-Man when he became "Superior." I only picked it back up when they brought back Peter Parker. I am down to only AMS, Spider-Gwen, RYV, and Captain Marvel. I can't even stand to look at any of the other titles, and even so, I'm often frustrated with things they are doing to the characters in all 4 of these books.

Drop ASM, there is no reason you should force yerself to read it if you dont enjoy it.

May I suggest DC? Batman is trying to get hitched to Catwoman and I find that really awesome. We are about to get a Black Lightning tv show so that means there is hope for a Black Lightning Rebirth comic. Good Time to be a DC fan, specially with Wonder Woman!

#27906 Edited by ursaber (5695 posts) - - Show Bio
#27907 Posted by ursaber (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: @itsaworld:@amazingfantasy

RYV ain't over till the fat lady sings (so no singing fat ladies please). It had a bad month in May but one bad month doth not equate cancellation. It is an ambitious title trying out a new concept in the Incredibles style Spider Family dynamic that is still technically well written and drawn.

The harsh reality we may have to accept before providing other aspects is that there may not be that much of an interest in the book/the marriage crowd isn't as large as perceived.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#27908 Posted by blackspidey2099 (2260 posts) - - Show Bio

Great, the Spectacular leaked images basically confirm that the comic is going to be even worse than ASM 28, and maybe even worse than Waid's portrayal of Peter. So now Peter can't even fix his own webshooters on his own? He can't even beat a knockoff Iron Man while he himself is wearing an armor that has matched Tony's own? Even Ant-Man is making a fool out of him. Ugh. As someone who isn't a fan of Peter having a sister in canon, the appearance of Teresa doesn't do anything to sweeten the deal either. I don't think I'll even bother to pick up the first issue.

#27909 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

RYV ain't over till the fat lady sings (so no singing fat ladies please). It had a bad month in May but one bad month doth not equate cancellation. It is an ambitious title trying out a new concept in the Incredibles style Spider Family dynamic that is still technically well written and drawn.

The harsh reality we may have to accept before providing other aspects is that there may not be that much of an interest in the book/the marriage crowd isn't as large as perceived.

Hopefully The Series Sells Incredibly Well. It'd Actually Incredibly Crazy If It Won't. As For The Marriage, I Think There Hasn't Been Enough Readers Who Actually Knew About That Since OMD. And Marvel For Some Reason Has Been Trying To Prevent That From Happening. Hopefully They'll Actually Acknowledge It Since Most Fans Old And New Are More Into The Marriage And With Something Like This, It Should Help Their Sale Rise Even More.

#27910 Posted by ursaber (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

Great, the Spectacular leaked images basically confirm that the comic is going to be even worse than ASM 28, and maybe even worse than Waid's portrayal of Peter. So now Peter can't even fix his own webshooters on his own? He can't even beat a knockoff Iron Man while he himself is wearing an armor that has matched Tony's own? Even Ant-Man is making a fool out of him. Ugh. As someone who isn't a fan of Peter having a sister in canon, the appearance of Teresa doesn't do anything to sweeten the deal either. I don't think I'll even bother to pick up the first issue.

What's the problem with Teresa? I frankly think Peter needs more personal ties and relations than hero stuff. Peter's personal life is sometimes, no, its more interesting to me than his spider man heroics. His romantic relationships, his friends, family and colleagues, all these personal ties that make him more, well they make him better. There is no current love interest (thank God for that for I only accept MJ and Black Cat and both are used by Bendis), Peter's sole friend is Harry and there doesn't seem to be going on much there at the moment and Aunt May is unnecessary. Peter's sister is something I think would help in that regard, not to mention that I really liked her in Family Business and would love to see cool and capable female confidante that is not a love interest (Ana Maria is sorta good but I like family drama more).

As for Spider Man's incompetence and wimpiness, agree 100 percent with you.

#27911 Posted by ursaber (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

Hopefully The Series Sells Incredibly Well. It'd Actually Incredibly Crazy If It Won't.

In case you didn't notice, RYV's fall from the Top 100 ranking does indicate it has had a slump in sales. The book won't do great just because you or I want it to or see at as special (it is but whether its special or not its success depends on its profit and sales).

As For The Marriage, I Think There Hasn't Been Enough Readers Who Actually Knew About That Since OMD. And Marvel For Some Reason Has Been Trying To Prevent That From Happening. Hopefully They'll Actually Acknowledge It Since Most Fans Old And New Are More Into The Marriage And With Something Like This, It Should Help Their Sale Rise Even More.

I believe Spider Man readers now full well about the marriage and OMD. Marvel does acknowledge OMD and that Spidey was once married but not anymore.

#27912 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@blackspidey2099 said:

What's the problem with Teresa? I frankly think Peter needs more personal ties and relations than hero stuff. Peter's personal life is sometimes, no, its more interesting to me than his spider man heroics. His romantic relationships, his friends, family and colleagues, all these personal ties that make him more, well they make him better. There is no current love interest (thank God for that for I only accept MJ and Black Cat and both are used by Bendis), Peter's sole friend is Harry and there doesn't seem to be going on much there at the moment and Aunt May is unnecessary. Peter's sister is something I think would help in that regard, not to mention that I really liked her in Family Business and would love to see cool and capable female confidante that is not a love interest (Ana Maria is sorta good but I like family drama more).

As for Spider Man's incompetence and wimpiness, agree 100 percent with you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AGREED WITH EVERYTHING YOU'VE JUST SAID.

Peter's Life Is Actually Alot More Interesting To Read Than Spider-Man. Sure, As Spider-Man, It's Fun, Exciting, Compelling, And Sometimes Has Its Hardest Moments. But, As Peter, Things Get Really Interesting As You Have To Deal With So Many Things In Your Life. So Much Struggles, Hardships, Issues, Etc. You Have So Much To Even Try And Explore And Endure With Your Friends, Family, And Lovers. So Much Things You Actually Have To Improve, Experience, And Endure In Life. With Peter's Life Things Get More Interesting And Compelling To The Point Where It's Actually Relatable. That Is Why Characters Like Teresa Parker Is Welcome In This New Addition To The Cast. She's The Long Lost Sister Of Peter Parker Who Is A CIA Agent And Actually Shares Some Traits With Her Brother. To Me And Most Other People, She Should Be Peter's New Aunt May Being The Only Family Member Who Always Stands By Your Side And Tries To Stick Up For You And Your Loved Ones In Both Your Superhero Life And Your Civilian Life.

Since OMD Peter Has Been Portrayed As Nothing But An Idiotic Manchild Who Is Actually Terrible At His Relationships, Gets Harassed 24/7, Gets Insulted By His Teammates, And Actually Gets Himself Humilated Most Of The Time. Even When He Turns Out To Be Successful He Still Gets Written And Treated Like Some Idiotic Manchild. And I Actually Question Some Of The Staff At Marvel Who Thought That Making The Character Like That Was For The Best.

Aside From RYV, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man Should Actually Be At Least A Good If Not Great Title. Spider-Man/Deadpool Has Recently Ended. So, It's Just These Two. Hopefully After The Merge They'll Try And Improve More On The Character And His Mythos As Fans Have Wanted It To After So Long. I Mean, In All Honesty, Marvel DOES Owe Us For All Of This.Hopefully We'll Actually Get Three Titles Plus A Team Up Series And One Or Two Graphic Novels Every Two Years. I Mean, The Character Actually Does Need This. Especially From Some Writers And Creators Who Are Passionate, Loving, And Understanding Of The Character And His Entire Mythos.

#27913 Posted by ItsaWorld (2230 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@marvelman92 said:
@ursaber said:

Hopefully The Series Sells Incredibly Well. It'd Actually Incredibly Crazy If It Won't.

In case you didn't notice, RYV's fall from the Top 100 ranking does indicate it has had a slump in sales. The book won't do great just because you or I want it to or see at as special (it is but whether its special or not its success depends on its profit and sales).

As For The Marriage, I Think There Hasn't Been Enough Readers Who Actually Knew About That Since OMD. And Marvel For Some Reason Has Been Trying To Prevent That From Happening. Hopefully They'll Actually Acknowledge It Since Most Fans Old And New Are More Into The Marriage And With Something Like This, It Should Help Their Sale Rise Even More.

I believe Spider Man readers now full well about the marriage and OMD. Marvel does acknowledge OMD and that Spidey was once married but not anymore.

I can guarentee they do and not many are fans of the tale called OMD. Alotta new readers seem to go back and read the older work and realize 'woah! they certainly did some messed up stuff!'

I know Danny Boy says that the marriage lovers are a minority, but it seems to be the complete opposite. A majority want it but the majority who read the current Spider-Man comics don't care. From what I know, Marvel lost most of their Spidey readership after OMD and still aren't fully able to get them back. And yeah, the company and others would complain 'why dont these fans get on RYV' well then we could say 'then why didn't fans of single spidey just read Ultimate Spiderman or every other universe story going on?' because it's an AU. And from what current Marvel has shown us, 616 writers get all the say and AU writers are forced to deal with their whims.

No one want's to read an AU when they can read a mainverse story with what they want. An AU is also kinda an elseworld or what if story, showcasing a reality that WE COULD OF HAD which angers many. This is why RYV won't get as big of sales as huge 616 titles, because it's an AU.

I speak to alotta comic artists and writers on the circut, and it's pretty unanimous that OMD sucks and should be ended. How many reviewers on Youtube do you see praising OMD or BND? Not many...I think I only found one encouraging people to read BND. And kids who were like only 5 when OMD came on out? Alotta them are fans of the marriage.

In fact...could DC be seen as poking fun at Marvel for not letting Peter be restored to this classic way by not only making Clark have a family but also have Bruce ask for Selina's hand in marriage and setting up for an Aquaman wedding?

#27914 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@marvelman92 said:
@ursaber said:

Well, Hopefully The Series Does Do Well In Sales. I Mean, It's Peter With His Wife MJ And Their Daughter Annie Fighting Crime Together As A Family Dealing With Some Real Struggles As A Family.

As For The Marriage, They Actually Should Acknowledge It. I Honestly See No Reason Why They Shouldn't. I Mean, After OMD Their Treatment Towards The Character Has Been Worse. I Mean, They Don't Want The Guy To Get Involved In A Relationship, They Don't Want Him To Mature, They Don't Want Him To Grow, They Don't Want Him To Be Successful In Life. And Even When He Does Get Successful He Still Gets Himself Humiliated So Much For Some Reason. And Even On Teams He Gets Treated Like Dirt Than Before Like With Characters Like Nadia Pym Who Is Nice To Everyone Even Doctor Victor Von Doom In Their First Encounter But Is Horrible To Spidey. She Even Treats Miles Fairly For Some Odd Reason. I Honestly Don't Even Know What's Her Problem. I Mean, This Is More Like How A Spider-Man Hater Tries To Do All These Things Than An Actual Fan Or Fanboy. This Whole Thing Has Been Incredibly Ridiculous And I Honestly Don't Know Why They Keep On Doing This To The Character.

But, The Only Way To Fix Him And The Company Is The Marriage. And Not Bringing That Big Would Be A Big Mistake For The Company As It Would Actually Try And Kill Them Quickly.

I Mean, What Other Reason Is There For Them To Not Bring Back The Marriage As Mistreating The Character Is Any Better?

#27915 Posted by ursaber (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsaworld:

Its a fact that the pro marriage crowd exists. However I can't actually say how large said faction is. I'm sure many were upset by OMD but I can't know nor do I have statistics to see how many dropped the book from OMD to BND. Know where I can get sales charts.

#27916 Posted by ItsaWorld (2230 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Hopefully The Series Does Do Well In Sales. I Mean, It's Peter With His Wife MJ And Their Daughter Annie Fighting Crime Together As A Family Dealing With Some Real Struggles As A Family.

As For The Marriage, They Actually Should Acknowledge It. I Honestly See No Reason Why They Shouldn't. I Mean, After OMD Their Treatment Towards The Character Has Been Worse. I Mean, They Don't Want The Guy To Get Involved In A Relationship, They Don't Want Him To Mature, They Don't Want Him To Grow, They Don't Want Him To Be Successful In Life. And Even When He Does Get Successful He Still Gets Himself Humiliated So Much For Some Reason. And Even On Teams He Gets Treated Like Dirt Than Before Like With Characters Like Nadia Pym Who Is Nice To Everyone Even Doctor Victor Von Doom In Their First Encounter But Is Horrible To Spidey. She Even Treats Miles Fairly For Some Odd Reason. I Honestly Don't Even Know What's Her Problem. I Mean, This Is More Like How A Spider-Man Hater Tries To Do All These Things Than An Actual Fan Or Fanboy. This Whole Thing Has Been Incredibly Ridiculous And I Honestly Don't Know Why They Keep On Doing This To The Character.

But, The Only Way To Fix Him And The Company Is The Marriage. And Not Bringing That Big Would Be A Big Mistake For The Company As It Would Actually Try And Kill Them Quickly.

I Mean, What Other Reason Is There For Them To Not Bring Back The Marriage As Mistreating The Character Is Any Better?

ggg

@ursaber said:

@itsaworld:

Its a fact that the pro marriage crowd exists. However I can't actually say how large said faction is. I'm sure many were upset by OMD but I can't know nor do I have statistics to see how many dropped the book from OMD to BND. Know where I can get sales charts.

Last year, around this time, a poll was done asking who thought OMD should end. The poll had over 6000 people. 89% wanted the marriage back and to end OMD.

6000 people is a very large group. It seems more to me that Marriage lovers are the Majority but single peter is the minority. But heads and certain writers felt that marriage was to constraining.

#27917 Posted by ursaber (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

@itsaworld:

Last year, around this time, a poll was done asking who thought OMD should end. The poll had over 6000 people. 89% wanted the marriage back and to end OMD.

6000 people is a very large group. It seems more to me that Marriage lovers are the Majority but single peter is the minority. But heads and certain writers felt that marriage was to constraining.

Yeah but that statistic can't compare to the 50k 60k people who buy current ASM. It doesn't mean its not worth anything for it actually says a lot and maybe hopefully these people are also supporting RYV. And remember that 6000 people participated but its I think approximately 5000 plus that voted yes on OMD so its less than 6k. The marriage crowd in that poll was the majority but currently saleswise they are the minority for there are still thousands of people buying ASM monthly.

#27918 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber:

Well, The Current Run Was Bought By New Readers I Suppose. I Mean, There's Honestly No Way The Could Still Try And Buy The Series When It's Actually Not Been That Good Since Superior And Gotten Worse By Vol 2. It'd Be Insane If They Still Buy The Series Regardless Of Its Current Status And Treatment.

I Just Hope That The Renew Your Vows Series Sells Really Well.

@itsaworld:What's ggg?

#27919 Posted by ursaber (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber:

Well, The Current Run Was Bought By New Readers I Suppose. I Mean, There's Honestly No Way The Could Still Try And Buy The Series When It's Actually Not Been That Good Since Superior And Gotten Worse By Vol 2. It'd Be Insane If They Still Buy The Series Regardless Of Its Current Status And Treatment.

Slott's ASM has been bought by new and old readers alike and long time Spider Man fans. People who are interested in the main spider man title. Also do remember that your thoughts about ASM are not the same as them.

RYV unfortunately has been spiraling downwards. At this point I just want the title to survive.

#27920 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@marvelman92 said:

@ursaber:

Slott's ASM has been bought by new and old readers alike and long time Spider Man fans. People who are interested in the main spider man title. Also do remember that your thoughts about ASM are not the same as them.

RYV unfortunately has been spiraling downwards. At this point I just want the title to survive.

How Could It Not? I Mean, Throughout The Entire Series I've Heard And Seen People Do Nothing But Rip On Slott's Current Run On The Series. I Mean, Most People Really Don't Like Parker Industries And Its Entire Execution. I Mean, Are You Sure Some People Love The Current Run On The Series? Because I've Heard Nothing But Bad Things From Them.

I Really Hope RYV Sells Well. Infact, I Really Hope That This Version Of The Parker Family Transfers Themselves Into The 616 Universe And Help Improve Their Own Lives More. I Mean, Let's Be Honest Here, Peter Really Needs A Really Brilliant Series. And If Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man Isn't It, Then I Guess We Have The RYV Series. I Mean, I Really Want That Series To Sell Well.

#27921 Posted by ursaber (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92:

There are many critics and youtubers and whatnot who take a rap at Slott's work but the bad rap you hear abour him doesn't translate to sales. His ASM still sells and he has had loud critic oursuers since Superior. Some people are enjoying his material to continue buying it.

Yeah we know about the merge idea. RYV is great but the month of may was bad for the series and I don't know how much it sold but to be taken out of the Top 100 is certainly an indicator of how it may have underperformed. The series drifts closer to the threat of cancellation but its still not on death row.

#27922 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

@marvelman92:

There are many critics and youtubers and whatnot who take a rap at Slott's work but the bad rap you hear abour him doesn't translate to sales. His ASM still sells and he has had loud critic oursuers since Superior. Some people are enjoying his material to continue buying it.

Yeah we know about the merge idea. RYV is great but the month of may was bad for the series and I don't know how much it sold but to be taken out of the Top 100 is certainly an indicator of how it may have underperformed. The series drifts closer to the threat of cancellation but its still not on death row.

But, Really. How Much Do People Really Expect From Slott's Spider-Man Run. With Him As The Writer The Series Will Barely Improve Unless Marvel Is In Trouble Sales Wise Which They Already Are. Slott Has His Run On Torturing The Character. Just Let Someone Else Try And Write For The Character. Writers Who Are Actually Passionate, Loving, And Understanding Of The Character And His Mythos. Some Writers Like Robbie Thompson, Charles Soule, Gerry Duggan, Or Even Cullen Bunn, Kelly Thompson, Or Even Al Ewing, Matthew Rosenberg, Or Ed Brisson. The Character Needs Some Better Treatment.

As For RYV, It Should Actually Sell Well. It'd Actually Be Ridiculous If It Doesn't. We Need To Actually Spread The Entire Word Better.

#27923 Posted by ursaber (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: Its night/bedtime over in my part of the world so I'll answer you tomorrow.

#27924 Posted by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: Don't fall into the illusion of the internet, mate. People may say bad things about the book, but it's the so used term "Vocal minority" people. People who are unsatisfied naturally tend to let their voice out more and will have more energy for their points. People who are happy with it and/or don't mind will pretty much just follow their way, and won't really bother to fight back all that negativity. They're pleased with it, just wanna enjoy themselves, why would they waste time and energy to "fight back"?

Besides, as ursaber kinda made this point already, you can put up all these people together... It still doesn't come close to the 60k+ that buy ASM, and that's just from nowadays, not counting all the people that had contact with his run aaand not to mention people who don't buy it at all and read it illegally. Despite some of what its said, ASM is the top Marvel's superhero book and has been for a while now. But even so that's all your experience, because in mine the reaction to Slott's run is mixed at worst.

Furthermore, a quick search will make you find good things about Dan's run. Go to twitter and search Dan Slott to find people complimenting his run. Or type "*random Dan Slott issue* review" on google and you can also find positive reviews (which is one of the reasons I dislike using reviews in a discussion. You can pretty much find any number of good and bad reviews if you search, and it usually isn't even hard). Etc etc, these are just methods that I just came up with, If you really want to find positive stuff, you will. I believe you have no ill intents, but focusing on the negative does not mean it is the overall opinion.
What I always say on these type of discussion (which I avoid tbh) is, we basically can't know the overall opinion. It's almost pointless to discuss it. And in case we do, we can pretty much only use the evidence we have (In this case, numbers and all), which I believe is why Ursaber is with his doubts about the pro-marriage public.

Quite frankly I never understood why some part of the people who dislike Slott's work almost literally need his run to be universally hated, try to downplay its success, can't say a good thing about it without a "but", etc. From a critical point you can always, always say "What?? How do people like that? Why are they buying it?!"... But trying to play it as something that it's not it's just what I honestly do not get. I myself dislike some things with passion, not just in comics, but not once felt those needs and I'm thankful for so because tbh I don't think it's healthy. I'd much rather use all that energy for positive things and discuss, promote things I actually like.

A few extra points:

- It's like Transformers or Fast and Furious movies and depending on who you ask, even superhero movies. Many people do not like, say it's all formulas and easy money makers... Critically, an argument can be made. But at the end of the day it's still a success. It's simple as that.
- Also do not forget that most people who follow the books are casual fans, who pretty much don't know half of what we do.

Sorry for barging in and the long post, I just wanted to address this and speake about the subject overall, as I said it is a subject I avoid but with RYV current situation, made me reflect and all that so I'll make this exception this time. lol

#27925 Posted by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

On a more positive note... Very soon I'll be able to buy Brawl in the Family! 😎 Just a week!
And since we're on that, does anyone know if it will indeed be RYV 1-6 or if it's a mistake? 'Cause Amazon still says so...

#27927 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: Don't fall into the illusion of the internet, mate. People may say bad things about the book, but it's the so used term "Vocal minority" people. People who are unsatisfied naturally tend to let their voice out more and will have more energy for their points. People who are happy with it and/or don't mind will pretty much just follow their way, and won't really bother to fight back all that negativity. They're pleased with it, just wanna enjoy themselves, why would they waste time and energy to "fight back"?

Besides, as ursaber kinda made this point already, you can put up all these people together... It still doesn't come close to the 60k+ that buy ASM, and that's just from nowadays, not counting all the people that had contact with his run aaand not to mention people who don't buy it at all and read it illegally. Despite some of what its said, ASM is the top Marvel's superhero book and has been for a while now. But even so that's all your experience, because in mine the reaction to Slott's run is mixed at worst.

Furthermore, a quick search will make you find good things about Dan's run. Go to twitter and search Dan Slott to find people complimenting his run. Or type "*random Dan Slott issue* review" on google and you can also find positive reviews (which is one of the reasons I dislike using reviews in a discussion. You can pretty much find any number of good and bad reviews if you search, and it usually isn't even hard). Etc etc, these are just methods that I just came up with, If you really want to find positive stuff, you will. I believe you have no ill intents, but focusing on the negative does not mean it is the overall opinion.

What I always say on these type of discussion (which I avoid tbh) is, we basically can't know the overall opinion. It's almost pointless to discuss it. And in case we do, we can pretty much only use the evidence we have (In this case, numbers and all), which I believe is why Ursaber is with his doubts about the pro-marriage public.

Quite frankly I never understood why some part of the people who dislike Slott's work almost literally need his run to be universally hated, try to downplay its success, can't say a good thing about it without a "but", etc. From a critical point you can always, always say "What?? How do people like that? Why are they buying it?!"... But trying to play it as something that it's not it's just what I honestly do not get. I myself dislike some things with passion, not just in comics, but not once felt those needs and I'm thankful for so because tbh I don't think it's healthy. I'd much rather use all that energy for positive things and discuss, promote things I actually like.

A few extra points:

- It's like Transformers or Fast and Furious movies and depending on who you ask, even superhero movies. Many people do not like, say it's all formulas and easy money makers... Critically, an argument can be made. But at the end of the day it's still a success. It's simple as that.

- Also do not forget that most people who follow the books are casual fans, who pretty much don't know half of what we do.

Sorry for barging in and the long post, I just wanted to address this and speake about the subject overall, as I said it is a subject I avoid but with RYV current situation, made me reflect and all that so I'll make this exception this time. lol

I See. But, Really? Would they Want The Character To Go Furthur Down The Path? I Mean, Imagine If Dan Slott Created Some Arcs And Stories That Are Way Worse Than Clone Saga And Greatly Effected The Character In Such A way Even Fans And Readers Would Turn away From This. I Mean, With How Dan Slott Is With The Series And Fans In General, I Believe That If He Actually Goes To Far With His Stories, He Would End Up Trying To Damage The Character, His Mythos, And The Company. I Mean, With How Slott Presented His Current Run With Peter As Head Of An Industry But Still An Idiot And Spineless Worm As A Boss, Building These Tech That Look Like They All Belong In Some Kind Of Toy Commercial, MJ Being Written Completely Out Of Character And Mistreat Peter, Characters Being Better Written Than Peter, Felicia As Some Crimelord, Peter Being Mistreated 24/7, Peter Afraid To Beat Up Asians, Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. I Honestly Don't See Why Some People Would Actually "Love" And Enjoy This Current Run By Slott When Really, It's Actually Doing The Exact Opposite Of Improving The Character And His Mythos. It's Actually Really Crazy That They Actually Think This About The Character. While I Hope Slott Leaves The Series Soon, I Do Hope They Don't Let Another Writer Nor Creator Who Does The Opposite Of Improving Spider-Man. I Mean, We Already Have Waid On Avengers Who's Actually Treating The Character Just As Bad As Slott If Not Worse And There's No Telling What Zdarsky Is Doing With The Character. So, All We Actually Have Now Is RYV Which Is The ONLY Spider-Man Series That Treats The Character Pretty Well. So, With Only That Series Left, Spidey Is Pretty Much Screwed Even In His Time With The Avengers. And Nick Spencer Is Barely Doing Anything With The Guy In Secret Empire Than Miles Who For Some Reason Has Some Importance In The Story. I Mean, It's Actually Really Crazy How Some People Kept Treating The Character Like This. So, I Hope There Would Be Something Good Out Of Him After Legacy Or The Merge(I Still Think That The Merge Will Happen). I Mean, Parker Industries Is Ending Pretty Soon And Slott Seems To Have Been Worn Out On His Ideas. So, I Honestly Don't See How They Actually Won't Bother Into Improving The Character Rather Than Just Make It Worse As Sales Will Probably Plummet Even Further. Also, I Think That The Main Series Has Been Plummeting Looking At These Sale Charts. I Mean, It Hasn't Been Selling Well At All After Its First Week TBH.

#27928 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingfantasy: Also, For Your Points On Twitter. I Believe That Most People Can Say A Bunch Of Stuff Online In Anything. Like If Bendis Gets Praised For His Recent Events Online Or That Some People Have Praised David F Walker's Work On Occupy Avengers Or That People Praise Charles Soule And Jeff Lemeire's Story On IvX, Or Even Some Of The Praise That Chelsea Cain Recieved For Her Mockingbird (Yes, I'm Pretty Serious About That One).And Most Of Them Got Cancelled Issues Later And Some Have Been Poorly Recieved Despite Acclaims On Twitter. So, I Don't Think That Dan Slott's Work On The Character Is Any Better TBH.

#27929 Edited by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: But that's precisely my whole point. The same you just said can apply to who talks bad about Dan's work, which you brought it up confused as to why there were people that liked Dan's run, thus why I brought this point up. Basically, reviews or people saying good/bad things don't really mean anything, because as I said, you can find people from both sides if you look for it. On that note, a title selling little or even getting cancelled doesn't necessarily it's bad either. The same way Dan's Spidey being financially a success does not mean his stories are good. I'm not even discussing his actual stories here, I'm more on the technical side.

(I'm about to leave so I just answered this quickly but I can go into more depth later)

#27930 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: But that's precisely my whole point. The same you just said can apply to who talks bad about Dan's work, which you brought it up confused as to why there were people that liked Dan's run, thus why I brought this point up. Basically, reviews or people saying good/bad things don't really mean anything, because as I said, you can find people from both sides if you look for it. On that note, a title selling little or even getting cancelled doesn't necessarily it's bad either. The same way Dan's Spidey being financially a success does not mean his stories are good. And I'm not even discussing his actual stories here, I'm more on the technical side.

(I'm about to leave so I just answered this quickly but I can go into more depth later)

Yeah, But The Thing Is That Those Are Some People With Opinions. Some People Can Enjoy Works That Are Mediocre Or Just @#$% While Other Obviously Don't. And With The Kind Of works Being Like That, I Think The Majority Is In Favor Of Showing That The Writer Or The Creator Of The Series Does Not Work At All For Those Kinds Of Reasons. Again, I'm Not Dismissing People's Opinions On Some Of The Work. But, I'm Saying That A Controversial Writer Like Slott Wouldn't Even Seem To Last Long If He's Actually Getting The Series Into Trouble.

#27931 Posted by ZariusII (3064 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter

@ursaber

@blacksuit

@magnetic_eye

@itsaworld

@amazingfantasy

Batman #22 And Flash #22 Did Beat Both Secret Empire #1 And Venom #150 To The Top Spot In May 2017 Diamond Comics Charts

Courtesy of Diamond Comic Distributors, not only do we have the Top 100 Comics chart for May 2017 that we ran yesterday, but the Dollar rank and the Index number as well. So we can combine variant covers and price points and tell you the actual Top Ten chart for June. And clear up whether or not Batman #22 topped the charts – or if Secret Empire #1 did.

Because Diamond says “The United States is dominated by Hydra, with Captain America at its head, in Nick Spencer, Steve McNiven, and Jay Leisten’s Secret Empire #1 from Marvel Comics, May’s best-selling comic book.”

And that’s just not true, not even for the direct market in North America which is what Diamond’s chart measures. Here’s the actual direct market top-selling top ten for May 2017.

QTY

TITLE

INDEX

BATMAN #22

FLASH #22

SECRET EMPIRE #1

VENOM #150

GUARDIANS OF GALAXY MISSION BREAKOUT #1

SECRET EMPIRE #2

BATMAN #23

SECRET EMPIRE #3

ALL NEW GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #1

WALKING DEAD #167

Secret Empire #2 did at least beat Batman #23. Just not Secret Empire #3.

#27933 Posted by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: Secret Empire first issue 'just' did 137k? Hehe...

#27934 Edited by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

Numbers are in guys! RYV sold 25,997. And it seems the previous list got it in wrong because it's above Spider-Gwen (barely), who also isn't on the top 100.

Frankly I'm glad. This is not a huge drop. I think it's the lowest one so far actually.

Edit: Oh and it seems it wasn't a mistake and Spider-Gwen did outsell RYV. Two issues came out this month, the one from the yesterday list and now we know the other one.

@ursaber@animehunter@zariusii@marvelman92@itsaworld@blacksuit@magnetic_eye

#27935 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

So, For Any Of You Guys Who've Actually Checked Out The First Issue Of Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, How Was This Issue? How Was Peter Actually Portrayed In The Issue? Was He Somewhat Smart, Competent, And Intelligent Despite Being Awkward In A Couple Of Places?

@animehunter

@itsaworld, @ursaber, @amazingfantasy, @quilsniv

@Elbarto17 aka Punyparker, @zariusii, @blackspidey2099, @eto

@riscrit aka Spideyryan, @magnetic_eye, @theheaven_guardian10, @knightwriteri, @thor_parker82, @bjparks, @the_waffle

#27936 Edited by ZariusII (3064 posts) - - Show Bio

Very pleased to see Spinerett remains more of a draw than Spider-Gwen. Maybe we should learn to panic less.

#27937 Edited by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: Eh, I don't know about y'all but I think everything we said was/is valid, given all the evidence. And 25k still isn't a very good number... But since we were fearing cancellation level and the book does tend to drop considerably per issue, it's nearly a blessing :p I think this is the lowest drop the book ever had! We're hardly out of the woods yet but surely not all bad either. And let's not forget next comes VenoMJ who already has considerable interest. 😎

(Btw wasn't a mistake, Spider-Gwen did outsell RYV, both this and the previous issue actually. Two issues came out this month, the one from yesterday list was one of 'em. lol)

#27938 Edited by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

While we're on that, seems Scalet Spider won't have a long life at all... 29k on the second issue, geez! I was already expecting that from issue 1 numbers tbh, I just hope that Ben is reversed before the book ends.

#27939 Posted by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: I haven't read it yet, but how do people would get access to the issue? Doesn't it come out only two days from now?

#27940 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, That's Alot Of Deaths From DC. But, I Was Really Surprised That Other Characters Like Jean Grey, Ultimate Peter Parker, And Even A Character Like Charles Xavier Didn't Even Make It Onto This List. I Mean, Jean Was Killed In The Most BS Way And Hasn't Even Returned Since 2004, Peter Died So That Miles Could Replace Him Which Actually Angered A Ton Of Fans, And Charles Was Killed By His Own Student In The Most Seemingly Brutal Fashion. Yet, None Of Them Were Actually On The List. Speaking Of Which, I Also See The Stuff Happening Now At Marvel With That They Killed Off Alot Of Characters But In The Most Brutal, BS, And Humiliating Ways Like With Bruce Banner, Tony Stark, Hank Pym, Scott Summers, and a Couple More Others. Killing each Of Them At Once was Honestly Just A Terrible Idea Especially If They Are Meant To Replace Them With These So Called Legacy Characters When Really Characters Like Amadeus Cho And Riri Williams Have Nothing To Offer.

I Mean, What Kind Of Deep Things Would Amadeus Share With Bruce? He's Already Unique In His Own Way. And Riri And Tony Barely Even Know Eachother. Plus, Rhodey Was Killed Off Making Things Even Less Reasonable For Trying To Support Diversity. While I Do Believe That Some Of The Characters Like Bruce And Tony Will Come Back, This whole Decision Made From Marvel Really Hurted Them. And If They Actually Don't Bring Any Of Them Back During Legacy And Are Actually Too Stubborn To Fix Things and Try To Force Us To Like These So Called "Legacy Characters", Well, Then They're Actually Screwed. Infact, Their Company Would Plummet Much Worse Than What Actually Happened To Them In The 90s.

As For Characters Like Aunt May, She Was Lovable Back Then. But, After OMD She's actually Become Troublesome For Peter's Development. While Some People Actually Still Do Love Aunt May, They Honestly Wouldn't Even Mind Her Dying Again As Long As It's Emotional. And Let's Be Honest Here, Aunt May Serves Nothing To The Mythos Nor The Character Anymore. She Has Actually Served Her Part In The Stories. Just Let Someone Else Fill In The Role For Her Like His Sister Teresa Parker. she Would Actually Bring Some Interesting, Exciting, And Compelling Things To The Character And His Mythos. Teresa Parker Would Be A Great Addition To The Spider-Man Mythos.

#27941 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: I haven't read it yet, but how do people would get access to the issue? Doesn't it come out only two days from now?

Well, I Heard They Get These Things From Some Site Called Marvel Loot. So, I Guess You Should Check That Out There.

#27942 Edited by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: Well I'm not from the US so I can only get it if it's digital... lol But thanks for the info.

Avatar image for scott_summers52
#27943 Posted by scott_summers52 (1148 posts) - - Show Bio

According to BleedingCool, this is how Marvel Legacy is going to renumber titles:

Amazing Spider-Man #788.

Spider-Gwen #28.

Spider-Man Deadpool #1770.

Captain America #694.

Hulk #708.

Iron Man #593.

Guardians Of The Galaxy #146.

Black Panther #165.

Daredevil #594.

Gwenpool #21.

Iron Fist #72.

Looks like ASM is going to reach issue 800 soon. Good place for Slott to end his run, am I right?

#27944 Posted by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

@scott_summers52: 788? I did the math a while back and it wasn't that much, more around 750 I think. So they are counting Superior as part of ASM I guess? <.<

I wonder what a 800 would be about. More Doc Ock? Lol...

#27945 Posted by ZariusII (3064 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder where they got the number for Spidey/Deadpool? Pulling all their collective minis together?

@scott_summers52

#27946 Edited by BlackSuit (404 posts) - - Show Bio

The complete chart sales of last month is in the link below. Here I post the Top 20 and the Spider-titles

May 2017 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops

UnitsDollarsComic-book TitleIssueEst. units
12Secret Empire1157,517
21Venom150141,757
33Batman22 Lent. Ed.114,173
45Flash22 Lent. Ed.104,506
59Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout1104,217
64Secret Empire2100,983
712Batman2396,542
86Secret Empire391,611
914All New Guardians of the Galaxy182,439
1017Walking Dead16774,062
1118Batman22 Reg. Ed.72,741
1213Star Wars3170,907
1311Jean Grey170,702
148Star Wars Screaming Citadel169,019
1510All Star Batman1066,018
1615Cable160,845
1727Flash22 Reg. Ed.59,261
1816X-Men Gold357,553
1932Detective Comics95657,178
2033Detective Comics95756,344
2720Amazing Spider-Man2751,404
5323Secret Empire Uprising137,225
6348Spider-Man Deadpool1734,613
7562Secret Warriors131,864
7770Spider-Man1630,775
8376Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider229,501
8680Spider-Gwen1928,546
10297Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows725,77

@animehunter

@itsaworld, @ursaber, @amazingfantasy, @quilsniv@zariusii, @blackspidey2099, @eto

, @magnetic_eye, @theheaven_guardian10, @knightwriteri, @thor_parker82, @bjparks, @the_waffle

#27947 Edited by amazingfantasy (2091 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: No It's more of a trope in Deadpool books sometimes. The numbers are all messed up. lol

#27948 Posted by darthfury78 (1453 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-Man: RYV should do more to bring in other readers to the book like the X-Men readers and Avengers readers by making the following as supporting cast in ASM: RYV

The Beast

Captain Britain

Tigra

She-Hulk

Nightcrawler

Logan

#27949 Posted by MarvelMan92 (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: Eh, I don't know about y'all but I think everything we said was/is valid, given all the evidence. And 25k still isn't a very good number... But since we were fearing cancellation level and the book does tend to drop considerably per issue, it's nearly a blessing :p I think this is the lowest drop the book ever had! We're hardly out of the woods yet but surely not all bad either. And let's not forget next comes VenoMJ who already has considerable interest. 😎

(Btw wasn't a mistake, Spider-Gwen did outsell RYV, both this and the previous issue actually. Two issues came out this month, the one from yesterday list was one of 'em. lol)

Well, I Honestly Don't See The Series Cancelling Anytime Soon. I Mean, The Latest Arc About Normie Has Been Announced And That Arc Seems Like It'll Be Pretty Long Considering We Have Normie As The Antagonist. We Also Have MJ Missing As Well As Some Other Stories That'd Probably Involve Characters Like Stephanie Kim, Principal Morton, Betty Brant, J Jonah Jameson, Liz Allen, Jermaine Grant, And The Story Featuring The Super Human Registration Act. Plus, The Normie Arc Will Actually Involve Peter And Annie Together As A Superhero Duo. It's The Kind Of Thing Most People Would Want To See With Peter Fighting Crime With His Daughter. It's The Kind Of Family Friendly Thing People Would Want To See, Read, And Enjoy. So, Hopefully When The Normie Issue Hits, We'll See That Issue Rise More In Sales. But, In The Mean Time, We Should Actually Help Spread The Word More About This Series. We've Actually Haven't Been Doing Well Much Is All.

Avatar image for scott_summers52
#27950 Posted by scott_summers52 (1148 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

I wonder where they got the number for Spidey/Deadpool? Pulling all their collective minis together?

@scott_summers52

Yeah, they started counting "Deadpool Team-Up" at issue 900, for some reason. I'm guessing they're continuing that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.