Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man Comics Discussion

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

@marvelman92: ... But in the context Ursaber said, Gage would be learning from the mistakes <.<

I also don't see exactly how Gage gets a 'free pass' since he co-wrote a lot of Slott stuff that gets criticized here, but okay I guess...

Well yeah, if Gage doesn't learn from Slott's shortcomings he will end up repeating them. He should also keep up with legitimate criticism of his and Slott's work and strive to improve his writing rather than dissing them off and continuing down their own path just to piss off fans.

Gage co wrote a lot of Slott's material but Slott was still the main writer of it all and most of it was Slott.

I meant the Master-Apprentice Writer relationship in the same way as the Sith Order of Star Wars. The Sith follow the Rule of Two, a master and an apprentice. The master teaches the apprentice and the apprentice learns all he can from the master until he is better and strong enough to become the master himself. This tradition within Star Wars lasted for over a 1000 years and every subsequent generation of sith were far stronger than the previous until came the Emperor who was the strongest being in the galaxy.

^^Take that and apply it to my Marvel writer's proposal.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ursaber: Yeah I know what you mean, but luckily I don't get turned-off about Spectacular because of it possibly 'hurting' RYV.

There a few things to note, an analysis:

- Spectacular seems to be a team-up book in disguise tbh. That may help RYV
    - We don't know if Zdarsky will be able to pull off classic Spidey feel. So far we only have interviews.
    - RYV on the other hand does have the classic feel already. Word could spread and tell people to go with RYV
    - But at the same time, people might go with Spectacular because it's solely about Peter Parker. RYV is great but some criticism is that people wanted a book about Peter, not the Spider-Family. It is an advantage of sorts.

- Buuut, I don't think Spectacular is at direct competition with Spectacular. I genuinely don't. RYV does have the classic Spidey feel but it's mostly marketed as Peter-MJ or/and Spider-Family. Spectacular is solely being marketed as a classic Spidey (and a bit of team-up, maybe). I think it's more of a coincidence and due to Conway's writing (a bit ironic that RYV might end up being more classic) which will obviously feel like classic Spider-Man. I believe the books have different focuses, at least on paper.

- Last but not least, If RYV would last like, in a world where Spectacular book wouldn't exist, then I don't see Spectacular hurting it enough to cancel it. If RYV does get cancelled I think Spectacular will have little to do with it, maybe just make the inevitable come quicker. Basically, If RYV does get cancelled with Spectacular around I think it would get cancelled regardless. And as we've seen last month RYV did recover itself a bit. So there's still hope, I firmly believe that RYV can live even with Spectacular around, but that's a post I'm saving for another day. :p

But yeah some things are inevitable. Spectacular already has the natural advantage of not being an AU, marketing which is stronger when a title is about to be launched, hype of being Spectacular book once more, a non Dan Slott Peter book (Though to be fair RYV had those last three too, the hype in case would be for Peter-MJ married again). Spectacular will probably sell very well the first 3-4 issues, then we'll see where it stands. I do think that it will be the second most sold Spider-Title, tho. Unless Zdarsky reaaally screws it up.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

Well yeah, if Gage doesn't learn from Slott's shortcomings he will end up repeating them. He should also keep up with legitimate criticism of his and Slott's work and strive to improve his writing rather than dissing them off and continuing down their own path just to piss off fans.

Gage co wrote a lot of Slott's material but Slott was still the main writer of it all and most of it was Slott.

I meant the Master-Apprentice Writer relationship in the same way as the Sith Order of Star Wars. The Sith follow the Rule of Two, a master and an apprentice. The master teaches the apprentice and the apprentice learns all he can from the master until he is better and strong enough to become the master himself. This tradition within Star Wars lasted for over a 1000 years and every subsequent generation of sith were far stronger than the previous until came the Emperor who was the strongest being in the galaxy.

^^Take that and apply it to my Marvel writer's proposal.

How do you know? That's pure assumption... We literally don't know how much Gage influenced certain stories.
    But well, even so, Gage still wrote 'em, agreed to do it, etc. If I didn't like so many said stories in which he had a hand, I wouldn't let him off the hook like that, but I have my own views which It's probably different from yours.

And I get your idea.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have to remember RYV's fanbase is rather... passionate like Spider-Girl it may not be the highest selling title but after the initial sales drop it will be more resistant to sales attrition than most titles Slott's almost out of events if the spider-marriage isn't restored in the first arc post Osborn Identity than I expect ASM sales to go down and stay down. Spectacular will perform on it's own merits after the first arc we'll see I think once the excitement of having an alternative to Slott wears down people will realize as bad as the writer is the status quo is important to that may not neccesarily mean anything positive for RYV but it could still get Marvel's attention. Spectacular probably exist because of the low sales and cancellation of Spidey (not that Spidey was bad my musician friend loves it) they had a title specifically designed to draw in and cater to the future fans of the MCU Spider-Man films but they couldn't make it last long enough to reach the films release but they want to have a good amount of Peter Parker/Spider-Man content out there to capitalize on an MCU Spider-Man release. A more down to earth title like Spectacular is the only way to do it in the books without regurgitating teenage Spider-Man again which would make most readers puke.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have to remember RYV's fanbase is rather... passionate like Spider-Girl it may not be the highest selling title but after the initial sales drop it will be more resistant to sales attrition than most titles Slott's almost out of events if the spider-marriage isn't restored in the first arc post Osborn Identity than I expect ASM sales to go down and stay down.

^^The Spider Marriage restoration is nowhere near the horizon at this point, regardless of Slott. But I do agree that RYV will stay more stable and even do better than before.

A more down to earth title like Spectacular is the only way to do it in the books without regurgitating teenage Spider-Man again which would make most readers puke.

Teen Spidey is the worst Spidey. Sucks ass BIG TIME^^

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have to remember RYV's fanbase is rather... passionate like Spider-Girl it may not be the highest selling title but after the initial sales drop it will be more resistant to sales attrition than most titles Slott's almost out of events if the spider-marriage isn't restored in the first arc post Osborn Identity than I expect ASM sales to go down and stay down. Spectacular will perform on it's own merits after the first arc we'll see I think once the excitement of having an alternative to Slott wears down people will realize as bad as the writer is the status quo is important to that may not neccesarily mean anything positive for RYV but it could still get Marvel's attention. Spectacular probably exist because of the low sales and cancellation of Spidey (not that Spidey was bad my musician friend loves it) they had a title specifically designed to draw in and cater to the future fans of the MCU Spider-Man films but they couldn't make it last long enough to reach the films release but they want to have a good amount of Peter Parker/Spider-Man content out there to capitalize on an MCU Spider-Man release. A more down to earth title like Spectacular is the only way to do it in the books without regurgitating teenage Spider-Man again which would make most readers puke.

I'd like to also point out something. Spider-Girl started when the internet was just starting out and ended when it was starting to just pick up momentum. It gathered a huge hype and fanbase in a world that was just starting to connect to other places. In other words, it gained it's power by small groups, word of mouth, desire and just by it's good work itself. And Marvel did try to kill it to no avail.

And now the internet is a massive thing and we have a series that hits strings of Spider-Girl and classic Spider-Man. Immediatley it's getting high praise. People won't shut up about it. Videos showcase it, art is starting to come in, COSPLAY! we have cosplay! They are people already trying to make Spiderling costumes for their kids! I've seen the production of one! It's been out for only a short while and people are already ready hyped! How many people say this is the suckiest book they have ever read? I have yet to really hear that!

What I'm trying to say is that when we have something like the internet that is more massivley out there and more accessible to everyone, it's easier to get people interested in this and the hype will grow faster.

I propose we play a game. Just a fun one. Lets see if there's a way to make ASM RYV top just plain ASM. I wanna see it top plain ASM 3 times. Now that would be fun!

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Well, not surprised at all. I also don't think a lot of creative teams will be changing, especially the most 'stable' ones. But we'll see.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25809  Edited By ZariusII

@amazingfantasy: I agree, I don't see Marvel changing too much at the moment, RessureXtion was the prelude to this overall shift and those creative teams won't suddenly spring up and vanish come this fall.

So far the only real change is Stegman will co-write Renew Your Vows, and that's more a case of tightening the bolts on a well-fastened bike.

I'll quote myself from another board about this nugget of information:

"The fact he was staying on ASM for the next big phase ought to have been reserved for a big follow-up article on Legacy later in the summer when the company were ready to list all of the creative teams, but here he jumps the gun and opts to break the news in a thread a fan made asking whether or not One More Day would get reversed or not.

In many ways, that "fun-size" critical contingent manages to get some sizemic information out of him every time more so than anyone telling him he's done a good job"

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: @amazingfantasy:

A pity and disappointment. But then again I also never really thought he would leave ASM yet. Sadly ASM is the only main superhero solo book to stay consistently stable throughout the years even if the Marvel standard of sales has fallen. ASM 25 saved his ass with its success following the really terrible Clone Conspiracy. Like someone else said: they'd rather keep the devil they know than the devil they don't.

Another year or two with Spidey vs Ock and some below average nonsensical writing. As for Peter/MJ, I practically called it when I said even if Zdarsky did something with them on Spectacular, Slott's ASM would still have more gravity on the issue. We don't know as of yet what is going to happen but I do believe there will be no Pete/MJ. I want them together, not as friends or colleagues.

(Wouldn't it be great if Dan was ranting about staying on ASM but he's actually lying to troll the fans and throw them off. The BOOM big announcement Slott is off ASM. A boy can dream can't he)

Now I wish RYV was bi weekly!

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Well it's only natural, ASM will have more importance on any topic, not just Peter/MJ. Just how it is with sister books and the main book. As for RYV I agree 8) Unfortunately Stegman isn't a very fast artist so that wouldn't be possible. I mean, it is possible if they threw other artists, but I think we all would prefer him to stay lol. (Also IIRC titles that come once a month sell better, but I may be wrong about that...)

This all reminded me, wasn't there an info (a while ago tbh) saying that Slott would be writing at least until 2018? I remember something like that...

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25812  Edited By animehunter
    amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25814  Edited By ursaber

@ursaber: Well it's only natural, ASM will have more importance on any topic, not just Peter/MJ. Just how it is with sister books and the main book. As for RYV I agree 8) Unfortunately Stegman isn't a very fast artist so that wouldn't be possible. I mean, it is possible if they threw other artists, but I think we all would prefer him to stay lol. (Also IIRC titles that come once a month sell better, but I may be wrong about that...)

This all reminded me, wasn't there an info (a while ago tbh) saying that Slott would be writing at least until 2018? I remember something like that...

I recall that while Slott was ranting about the Spider Marriage never coming back that he said he would be here next year to tell us the same.

As for RYV bi weekly it could work but they would need to bring in two artists and take shifts. Stegman draws 1 3 5 and the second artists draws everywhere in between.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25815  Edited By ZariusII

The newspaper strip is starting to wrap up it's long-running Peter/MJ/Rocket crossover, that's because this Friday sees the international release of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2

@animehunter

@ursaber

@amazingfantasy

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Yeah I saw it. Its gonna be a comedic goodbye. Who knows, maybe we'll see the Guardians. Peter and MJ will undoubtedly travel back in that truck MJ bought LOL

I wonder what their next adventure is gonna be.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25817  Edited By ZariusII

@ursaber said:

@zariusii: Yeah I saw it. Its gonna be a comedic goodbye. Who knows, maybe we'll see the Guardians. Peter and MJ will undoubtedly travel back in that truck MJ bought LOL

I wonder what their next adventure is gonna be.

Well let's not forget the reason for the road trip in the first place was so MJ could promote the theatrical cut of her Marvella movie (filmed way back during arcs across late 2014 and early to mid 2015), so the next arc will see the two hit Hollywood

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"The content will be exciting for new fans, but will also pay off in a different way for hardcore fans of the Marvel Universe."

Different way???

Got it. Gimmick

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel's 'Legacy' will 'break the internet,' says Axel Alonso

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/marvels-legacy-break-internet-axel-alonso/story?id=46936769

-

@itsaworld, @ursaber, @amazingfantasy, @quilsniv

@Elbarto17 aka Punyparker, @zariusii, @blackspidey2099, @eto

@riscrit aka Spideyryan, @magnetic_eye, @theheaven_guardian10, @marvelman92

Then again:

"Let's just say there's a last-page reveal that's probably gonna break the Internet."

That's how Marvel's Axel Alonso describes "Legacy," a new initiative that will take things back to the comic book company's iconic history, all while keeping an eye on the future.

It all begins this fall with "Marvel Legacy No. 1," an over-sized, one-shot special that's 50 pages in all. It's written by Jason Aaron with art by Esad Ribic and features a special, 4-panel, fold-out cover by Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada.

Alonso, Marvel's editor-in-chief, told ABC News that this is a book that is going to send shockwaves throughout the comic book industry.

"That story functions as a preview of what's to come. It's chocked full of twists, surprises, Easter eggs, and let's just say, a last-page reveal that’s probably gonna break the internet," he said. "It's a big moment, something we continually get asked about. We are going to answer that question." (LOL, imagine if its what we all want it to be cough OMDeath. Wishful thinking I know)

Or maybe it could be the F4 return

Easter eggs -- hidden nods to longtime fans -- are at the core of what "Legacy" is attempting to do, Alonso said. The content will be exciting for new fans, but will also pay off in a different way for hardcore fans of the Marvel Universe.

"With 'Legacy,' we want to tell stories that are accessible to all, but remind readers of Marvel’s rich history,” he said. “To drive that point home, a number of our titles will return to their original series numbering, and our stories will invoke that history, reminding readers of connections between characters they may have forgotten about, and ushering in the return of some big characters who’ve been missed. Above all else, we want to inject our comics with a massive dose of fun."

He continued, "I think 'Legacy' will also prove that absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder."

"Legacy" will also finally answer some of fans' questions about their beloved characters, including if the universe is big enough for Miles Morales and Peter Parker to both be Spider-Man. The same will be answered about whether Riri Williams and Tony Stark can both be Iron Man.

The key here though, Alonso said, is that there are no old characters or new characters, there are just Marvel superheroes.

"Legacy" will follow another initiative, "Secret Empire," where the heroes finally get caught up to speed on what readers have known for months -- that Captain America is actually a Hydra agent. Alonso said that series will be a rallying cry and unifying factor for the heroes before we get to "Legacy."

"None of 'Legacy' hinges on the death of a major character at all," he added. "A lot of this may hinge on some resurrections. If there ever were a time to bring back characters, it would be during the 'Legacy' era."

The series will span the entire universe and touch on the "glory days" of characters like Odinson, Squirrel Girl, Spider-Man, the Avengers, America Chavez, Iron Man, Moon Knight, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, Luke Cage, the X-Men and many others.

The aesthetic of "Legacy" will be a trip for longtime fans as well, with little vestiges from the past like the cover value stamp and corner box art that Marvel used years ago.

"As a kid, I remember ruining some of my comics by cutting out the value stamp," Alonso admitted. "I had 'Incredible Hulk' No. 181 and I cut the value stamp out, what was I thinking?!"

That issue was the very first full appearance of Wolverine in 1974.

"We are going to remind generations about that history," Alonso promised.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @amazingfantasy said:
    @animehunter said:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/marvels-legacy-break-internet-axel-alonso/story?id=46936769

-

Zzzzzzz...

Uhuh....yeeeah....keep tellin yerself that.

Axel is not liked at the moment and using JQ for art isn't the best thing currently as older fans and new fans are pretty steamed. Legacy will work with a few people but die hard fans have been slowly shifting to DC. This event is delayed to a time that DC is going to start their own event. Now do you wanna read Legacy or do you wanna read a DC event that is guarenteed to be fun, drawn by Romita Jr, and will be bringing in brand new original heroes....and quite possible Static? (I will always dream of Static's return!!!!)

You'll be breaking something with this new comic gimmick....but it won't be the internet. You promised no more events yet you give us this and some dumb Symbiote junk.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25825  Edited By ursaber

@itsaworld said:
    @ursaber said:
    @amazingfantasy said:
    @animehunter said:

-

Zzzzzzz...

Uhuh....yeeeah....keep tellin yerself that.

Axel is not liked at the moment and using JQ for art isn't the best thing currently as older fans and new fans are pretty steamed.

Are they? I mean, here in the vine we pretty much agree Quesada sucks and has ruined Marvel for us but is there any statistic or consensus that he or Alonso have a negative reception among many readers. What we talk about here really only stays here for our eyes/ears only and any who watches. What we rant about here isn't necessarily how all comic book fans feel. A lot might not even care.

You'll be breaking something with this new comic gimmick....but it won't be the internet. You promised no more events yet you give us this and some dumb Symbiote junk.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25828  Edited By Eto
    Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh...

don't see why it's inflammatory. Rich is right.

get wrecked marvel

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mizerous said:

That is inflammatory alright...

Yep! Same info I found out...

Cept he doesn't mention the retailers have to buy their own shirts and, to be part of this event, have to over order marvel titles

ALso, a Men's Large and XL is kinda unfair isn't it. As if they depict retailers a certain way.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Nice point, something that gets overlooked a lot on online forums. I guess the answer is... We can't know. So many people read comics its very hard to know what the majority thinks, what's the consensus.

Plus some of the casual fans might not even know who Alonso, Quesada and etc are. They just read and barely think about it.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25832  Edited By ZariusII
    amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25834  Edited By ursaber

@itsaworld said:
    @mizerous said:

Cept he doesn't mention the retailers have to buy their own shirts and, to be part of this event, have to over order marvel titles

ALso, a Men's Large and XL is kinda unfair isn't it. As if they depict retailers a certain way.

SOB's all of them. Marvel Comics better not recover from this controversy. I now wish upon them all bad fortunes imaginable.

Alonso, Brevoort and Quesada need to be taken out.

Retailers should start a resistance against Marvel's tyranny by NOT ordering their shirts or comics in the quantities Marvel wants them to and continue buying more DC and Image.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25835  Edited By animehunter
    amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25837  Edited By ZariusII

@amazingfantasy said:

@zariusii: Wut, two Parkers! :o

Yeah, if thee are going to be what's used on the covers, presumbly one's for ASM and one's for Spectacular

Maybe if the red-head next to Logan is MJ, it's for Renew Your Vows?

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Yeah, maybe. I thought it could also be RYV Peter but I think they'd put him next to Spinneret or Annie to make an easier distinction. Ah, well.

And similar to the point I just made, I think they'd go with Spinneret if they meant her to be RYV MJ. Not impossible but unlikely I'd say.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @itsaworld said:
    @mizerous said:

SOB's all of them. Marvel Comics better not recover from this controversy. I now wish upon them all bad fortunes imaginable.

Alonso, Brevoort and Quesada need to be taken out.

Exactly. I mean, not options are left for them....

No Caption Provided

Retailers should start a resistance against Marvel's tyranny by NOT ordering their shirts or comics in the quantities Marvel wants them to and continue buying more DC and Image.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Black Widow. MJ is no superhero in Earth 616. The other two readheads are Teen Jean and Phoenix Original Jean.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Notes:

- Two Peters as I've already said
    - Is it me or is Peter's suit still glowing? The lightning isn't helping...
    - That redhead is possibly Black Widow because I don't see her anywhere else, plus the RYV point I made on my previous post
    - Is that classic Carol, on Thing's side? Wut.
    - Bleeding Edge Tony! :ooo Yeees, I hope they bring that suit (or at least the style) back!
    - Classic Thor, hmm...
    - Two Falcons too?

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: @zariusii: @animehunter: @amazingfantasy: @eto:

If you guys could possess the power set of any Marvel superhero (in that 4chan leak), which one would you choose?

I am stuck between Vision or Jean Grey (Phoenix. Not the Phoenix itself but rather Original Jean Grey's Omega level psionic's, not crappy Teen Jeen's sex change telepathy)

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also (that new pic distracted me), Brevoort's instance is absolutely ridiculous. He... blatantly lied. Not to mention that this shows they're not above it, most likely done it in the past (and we don't even know), and probably still do... *sigh* Marvel just loses my respect more and more.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Peter's, don't even have to think! ? (Do I get his intellect? LOL)

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Either Spider-Man ot Magneto.

Anyways, where the ....

are Reed and Sue?

Damn you Marvel.

Damn you.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Peter's, don't even have to think! ? (Do I get his intellect? LOL)

Intellect is not his power, its something natural to him prior to Spiderization. No you don't get it because its not a power LOL

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

@ursaber: Either Spider-Man ot Magneto.

Anyways, where the ....

are Reed and Sue?

Damn you Marvel.

Damn you.

Damn them as well. I want Susan Storm back. She is the Marvel Universe's Premier Badass MILF Superheroine.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Yeah, figured as much... It's okay I'm smarter than him anyways. ? LOL

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.