Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man Comics Discussion

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

@ursaber: Err... Why would she appear on MM if she was on Spiderverse?? I don't think any of one series' supporting characters appears on another (other than guest appearances here and there), except Jonah I think who was both on Silk and ASM. Plus I disagree with ur last line, PAD is cool, and I still think any of the current writers/teams would be a better place for her than Iron Man+Bendis.

Because of Bendis who writes MM and IIM. If MJ was shifted to an Iron Man book, completely out of the Spider Offices, than the chance for her to appear in another Spider book is very possible.

PAD, Peter David right. His Spider Man 2099 started out good but it got progressively more boring. I say this as someone who loves Spider Man 2099.

Still I stay my ground. MJ in Limbo rather than have her outside ASM or in ASM with Slott writing it. LIMBO!

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ursaber: Well she hasn't appeared or even interacted with Miles so far and we know how much he loves it... Actually, he hasn't even used MJ much at all, I wonder how much he actually likes her, but that's another topic kinda and don't really have the time. Tho I get what you mean but in my scenario, of course she wouldn't be at Spider-Man because the point would be for her to escape Bendis lol not fall directly into him again. Guest appearance on it is fine I suppose but regularly she should be appearing on another book, which was my point.

Yes PAD is Peter David. That's cool, I don't even follow the book anymore but I liked what I had seen. Plus PAD has some quality work on his back, even if his current work isn't very good it doesn't nullify all that he did, plus he shows/has knowledge and experience on the Spiderverse. Also he just handled Miguel lately, who knows how he'll handle Reilly and whoever else is in the book, or how he would handle MJ. As I've said he's done some quality work, has knowledge, is a Spider-Man veteran basically, I'd definitely give him the benefit of the doubt. (Not to mention that, again, better choice than Iron Man+ Bendis... <.<)

Haha fair enough, I think it would be interesting to see how another writer would handle her (because as I've said, with "all" that Bendis has done with her in nearly 2 years, she might as well be in limbo), but I see where you're coming from. I'm not totally against limbo either, but I just think MJ belongs in the Spiderverse. She was away from Slott but then went to the next worst thing, Bendis (And not even in a Spidey book). Didn't... help much. lol So yeah, if MJ has to stay away from ASM I'd say there are much better, or at least interesting, options as I've mentioned. Almost anything would be better than her current situation IMO. But again, just my 2cents. I have to go now mate and idk if I'll be able to post as much the next few days so feel free to answer or not, either way, I'll see you later. ?

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25703  Edited By ursaber

@amazingfantasy said:

Well she hasn't appeared or even interacted with Miles so far and we know how much he loves it... Actually, he hasn't even used MJ much at all, I wonder how much he actually likes her, but that's another topic kinda and don't really have the time. But I get that but in my scenario, of course she wouldn't be at Spider-Man because the point would be for her to escape Bendis lol not fall directly into him again. Guest appearances are fine I suppose but regularly she should be appearing on another book, which was my point.

Ultimate MJ did interact with Miles, does that count LOL. But in all seriousness I don't think its impossible for her to appear in MM. In fact, she made contact in ASM Power Play with Peter, Tony and Miles. Who's to say Bendis can't do the same even if we haven't seen it yet. Remember that Bendis was playing the Miles x Spider Gwen story lately. Bendis does in fact respect and love Peter and MJ,

Yes PAD is Peter David. That's cool, I don't even follow the book anymore but I liked what I had seen. Plus PAD has some quality work on his back, even if his current work isn't very good it doesn't nullify all that he did, plus he shows/has knowledge and experience on the Spiderverse. Also he just handled Miguel lately, who knows how he'll handle Reilly and whoever else is in the book, or how he would handle MJ. As I've said he's done some quality work and knowledge, I'd definitely give him the benefit of the doubt. (Not to mention that, again, better choice than Iron Man+ Bendis... <.<)

Not saying he doesn't have achievements or is generally a decent writer. I just didn't bring it up because the only thing I myself recall him handling is the Spider Man 2099 book. Anything outside of that is beyond my knowledge for I don't follow the writer. He could handle MJ well but she belongs in ASM, not in Scarlet Spider, Iron Man, etc. But since ASM is being handled by Slott, her safest place is off panel with no one touching her.

Haha fair enough, I think it would be interesting to see how another writer would handle her (because as I've said, with "all" that Bendis has done with her in nearly 2 years, she might as well be in limbo), but I see where you're coming from. I just think MJ belongs in the Spiderverse. She was away from Slott but then went to the next worst thing, Bendis (And not even in a Spidey book). Didn't... help much. lol So yeah, if MJ has to stay away from ASM I'd say there are much better, or at least interesting, options as I've mentioned. Almost anything would be better than her current situation IMO. But again, just my 2cents. I have to go now mate and idk if I'll be able to post as much the next few days so feel free to answer or not, either way, I'll see you later. ?

MJ outside of ASM along Peter is disorienting. She is so intrinsically tied to main ASM and Peter that seeing her anywhere in some out of character role is just painful. I'm sure there are other good writers who could write her well but she really should just stay in ASM with Peter where she belongs, but since Slott is still writing the book, her best place is in limbo. I mean, what kind of role can she have outside of ASM. She is a Peter Parker Spider Man supporting character, the premier love interest and the most relevant character in Spider Man with much better potential than Aunt May who is literally a prop (in my opinion).

But your overall point, I get it. I probably just repeated myself in different words. There may be other opportunities or chances but I'd rather not take them or see them. Besides, who needs 616 MJ devil dealer when we have Spider Wife MJ.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25704  Edited By ZariusII
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If anyone is interested in watching the entire 70s live action TV show, head over to this page

https://www.facebook.com/TheAmazingSpiderMan1977TVSeries/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Here are the 1st 2 they showed - Wolfpack (Season 2, Episode 6) & Night of the clones (Season 1, Episode 5)

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheAmazingSpiderMan1977TVSeries/videos/?ref=page_internal

-

@itsaworld, @ursaber, @amazingfantasy, @quilsniv

@Elbarto17 aka Punyparker, @zariusii, @blackspidey2099, @eto

@riscrit aka Spideyryan, @magnetic_eye, @theheaven_guardian10, @marvelman92

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25706  Edited By Eto

@zariusii said:

What in the holiest of hells Marvel?

@animehunter

@ursaber

@marvelman92

@blackspidey2099

@riscrit

@eto

@itsaworld

@amazingfantasy

Marvel Want Comic Store Staff To Dress Like Hydra During Secret Empire

...Leading to this response

"We've also been asked to change our store logos to Hydra symbols. My staff are LGBTQ, Jewish, or both. We are no longer hand-selling Marvel"

https://twitter.com/NickiColey/status/855192572507107328

This is what Marvel deserves
    This is what Marvel deserves

Wow Marvel. Just wow!

Just when I thought you couldn't be more stupid, you beat yourself.

New level of stupidity this.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@ursaber

@marvelman92

@blackspidey2099

@riscrit

@eto

@itsaworld

@amazingfantasy

"We've also been asked to change our store logos to Hydra symbols. My staff are LGBTQ, Jewish, or both. We are no longer hand-selling Marvel"

... Wtf.
    That's all there is to say... Wtf.

(Plus aren't they still facing backlash for people associating Hydra with Nazis? Oh, current Marvel...)

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@ursaber

@marvelman92

@blackspidey2099

@riscrit

@eto

@itsaworld

@amazingfantasy

... Wtf.

That's all there is to say... Wtf.

(Plus aren't they still facing backlash for people associating Hydra with Nazis? Oh, current Marvel...)

Marvel’s Plan To Get Comic Shops To Dress Like Hydra Is Going Over Like A Lead Balloon On Twitter…

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/21/marvels-plan-get-comic-shops-dress-like-hydra-going-like-lead-balloon-twitter/

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: I must admit, I have a sadistic pleasure watching current Marvel screwing themselves...

Loading Video...
    amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy: SAME HERE! as i said, let's watch this trainwreck happen. They already refuse to stop. This titanic is hitting the dang iceberg no matter what we say. Enjoy it.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: @amazingfantasy: @itsaworld:@zariusii@marvelman92

Its like, when you think Marvel can't possibly get any worse or controversial, then they make the guys they sell comics to wear Nazi propaganda T-shirts.

Quick anybody, what's next on Marvel's list of controversial marketing gimmicks?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25716  Edited By ZariusII

@ursaber: Yeah, before long they'll start labeling retailers "diversity deniers"

@blackspidey2099

@marvelman92

@itsaworld

@amazingfantasy

@eto

@animehunter

Regression And ResurrXion Dominate Advance Reorders

Greetings from the coal face of the direct comics market. Where retailers try to increase their orders of certain comics ahead of sale. Where supply and demand and most accurately reflected, where you can see which books are hot, where new orders are coming in and how retailers are reacting to new, unanticipated desire! And courtesy of stats from Diamond Comic Distributors.

There are a few high price items and advance-reorder-only items that distort this list. But of them, the $9.99 Deadpool #30 is picking up considerable interest. And, as well as Star Wars: Screaming Citadel, Marvel Comics has seen significantly increased retailer orders for ResurrXion titles Weapon X, Old Man Logan, X-Men Blueand All-New Wolverine as well as Secret Empire interest for Secret Warriors. While there is also increased interest in the launches for Regression, Renato Jones and Rocket and subsequent issues of Black Cloud and Grass Kings.

TOP 25 ADVANCE REORDER COMICS/GRAPHIC NOVELS/TPs

PublicationPricePublisher
    IMAGE COMICS 25TH ANNIVERSARY BLIND BOX (NET)$250.00IMAGE COMICS
    X-MEN GOLD #1 SYAF 2ND PTG VAR$4.99MARVEL COMICS
    LEGEND OF ZELDA LEGENDARY ED GN VOL 04 MINISH CAP & PHANTOM$17.99VIZ LLC
    DEADPOOL #30$9.99MARVEL COMICS
    X-MEN PRIME #1 2ND PTG SYAF VAR$4.99MARVEL COMICS
    STAR WARS SCREAMING CITADEL #1$4.99MARVEL COMICS
    WEAPON X #3$3.99MARVEL COMICS
    OLD MAN LOGAN #23$3.99MARVEL COMICS
    X-MEN BLUE #3$3.99MARVEL COMICS
    SECRET WARRIORS #1 SE$3.99MARVEL COMICS
    REGRESSION #1 CVR B SPAWN MONTH VAR (MR)$3.99IMAGE COMICS
    X-MEN BLUE #1 ART ADAMS 2ND PTG VAR$4.99MARVEL COMICS
    STAR WARS DARTH VADER #1$4.99MARVEL COMICS
    BLACK CLOUD #2 CVR B SPAWN MONTH VAR (MR)$3.99IMAGE COMICS
    VENOM #150$5.99MARVEL COMICS
    ROCKET #1$3.99MARVEL COMICS
    REGRESSION #1 CVR C SPAWN MONTH B&W VAR (MR)$3.99IMAGE COMICS
    BLACK CLOUD #1 2ND PTG (MR)$3.99IMAGE COMICS
    CAPTAIN AMERICA STEVE ROGERS #15 2ND PTG DELL OTTO VAR$3.99MARVEL COMICS
    BITCH PLANET TP VOL 02 PRESIDENT BITCH (MR)$14.99IMAGE COMICS
    GRASS KINGS #3 FOC INCV SOOK VAR$3.99BOOM ENTERTAINMENT
    ALL NEW WOLVERINE #20$3.99MARVEL COMICS
    MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS 2017 ANNUAL #1$7.99BOOM ENTERTAINMENT
    RENATO JONES SEASON TWO #1 (OF 5) CVR B SPAWN MONTH VAR (MR)$3.99IMAGE COMICS
    STAR WARS DROIDS UNPLUGGED #1$4.99MARVEL COMICS

And for comics already published…

TOP 25 REORDER COMICS/GRAPHIC NOVELS/TPs

PublicationPricePublisher
    BATMAN KNIGHTFALL OMNIBUS HC VOL 01$99.99DC COMICS
    SAGA TP VOL 07 (MR)$14.99IMAGE COMICS
    WOLVERINE OLD MAN LOGAN TP$29.99MARVEL COMICS
    SAGA TP VOL 02 (MR)$14.99IMAGE COMICS
    SAGA TP VOL 06 (MR)$14.99IMAGE COMICS
    DISNEY PRINCESS COMICS COLL TP VOL 02$9.99JOE BOOKS INC.
    BATMAN KNIGHTFALL TP NEW ED VOL 01$29.99DC COMICS
    JUSTICE TP$29.99DC COMICS
    SAGA TP VOL 04 (MR)$14.99IMAGE COMICS
    INFINITY GAUNTLET TP$24.99MARVEL COMICS
    FLASH TP VOL 01 LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE (REBIRTH)$17.99DC COMICS
    SAGA TP VOL 05 (MR)$14.99IMAGE COMICS
    WALKING DEAD COMPENDIUM TP VOL 01 (MR)$59.99IMAGE COMICS
    BATMAN TP VOL 01 I AM GOTHAM (REBIRTH)$16.99DC COMICS
    LADY MECHANIKA TP VOL 02 TABLET OF DESTINIES$19.99BENITEZ PRODUCTIONS
    DISNEY PRINCESS TREASURY VOL 01$19.99JOE BOOKS INC.
    HELLBOY INTO THE SILENT SEA HC (C: 0-1-2)$14.99DARK HORSE COMICS
    X-MEN BLUE #1$4.99MARVEL COMICS
    ALL NEW WOLVERINE #19$3.99MARVEL COMICS
    BLACK HAMMER TP VOL 01 SECRET ORIGINS (C: 0-1-2)$14.99DARK HORSE COMICS
    SKYDOLL SPACESHIP GN (MR)$25.99TITAN
    SAGA TP VOL 03 (MR)$14.99IMAGE COMICS
    IMMORTAL IRON FIST COMPLETE COLLECTION TP VOL 01$39.99MARVEL COMICS
    UNCANNY X-MEN OMNIBUS HC VOL 01 NEW PTG$99.99MARVEL COMICS
    DEADPOOL KILLS MARVEL UNIVERSE TP$14.99MARVEL COMICS
    amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: Awesome article, very pleasant to read. I absolutely agree

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@ursaber: Yeah, before long they'll start labeling retailers "diversity deniers"

That sad moment when you can actually see this happening...

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

This is what current Marvel deserves

I also can't believe they're asking retailers to dress like Hyrda.

for real...

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:
    @amazingfantasy said:
    @zariusii said:

I also can't believe they're asking retailers to dress like Hyrda.

for real...

No, this is what they deserve

(BTW how do you put those words just below the picture?)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

@marvelman92: JrJr speaks the truth!

Yeah.Love You, John. I Really Loved What You Have To Say About Marvel's Use Of Diversity. You've Always Been One Of My Favorite Artists Of All Time. I Really Do Hope That You'll Return To Marvel Soon, Though. You On Doctor Strange, X-Force, Some Cosmic Related Series, And Possibly The Inhumans And Some Spin Off Series Revolving Around Some Of The Villains Would Be Really Great For You To See. I Also Hope You Return And Do Come Back To Series Such As Daredevil, Spidey, The X-Men, And Possibly An Avengers Related Series , An Asgard Related Series, And Other Some Other Series.

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25725  Edited By Mizerous

Hail Bad Coplay!

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Just above the pic, it says 'caption' between 'chance' and 'delete'. Click on caption and voila, you're ready to go.

@ursaber said:

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25727  Edited By BlackSuit

@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@ursaber

@marvelman92

@blackspidey2099

@riscrit

@eto

@itsaworld

@amazingfantasy

The response to this was awful as Bleeding Cool reported, many Comic Book Store owners and employees rejected this

Marvel’s Plan To Get Comic Shops To Dress Like Hydra Is Going Over Like A Lead Balloon On Twitter…

And worst, I saw some retailers saying that Marvel is not giving this advertisement for free, the CBS who wants to go full Hydra have to pay for it.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25729  Edited By ItsaWorld

@marvelman92: i always had suspicions but this confirms it. Marvel treats artists like they are nothing. This is why they just swap em. This is why you dont see an artist stick to a book for long periods anymore at marvel. Because they are disposable.....yet the statement that they put cash in writing is BS, eapecially when their books only grant sub par junk...and thats generous. Cooperation like we see with gerry and ryan are probably incredibly rare and are probably only seen in AUs and smaller books.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: i always had suspicions but this confirms it. Marvel treats artists like they are nothing. This is why they just swap em. This is why you dont see an artist stick to a book for long periods anymore at marvel. Because they are disposable.....yet the statement that they put cash in writing is BS, eapecially when their books only grant sub par junk...and thats generous. Cooperation like we see with gerry and ryan are probably incredibly rare and are probably only seen in AUs and smaller books.

I Always Thought That They Actually Needed Different Styles In Terms Of Their Stories They Wanted To Tell. But, Yeah. Marvel Is Giving Their Writers Too Much Credit With People Like Mark Waid, Nick Spencer, David F Walker, And Dan Slott Regardless Of Their Attitudes Towards Their Fans And Readers. Like I've Always Said, The Artists Deserve As Much Credit As The Writers Do In Terms Of The Styles Of The Stories And Characters And For Making The Stories And Characters More Interesting, Compelling, Exciting, Organic, Breathtaking, Fluid, Sweet, Heartwarming, And Actually Alot More Engaging. It's Because Of These Artists That Actually Really Help These Characters And Stories And Alot More That They Are Now. I'm Actually A Bit Fine With Some Rotating Stories As Long As The Stories And Styles Of Them Call For Them. But, The Artists Deserve As Much Credit As Much As The Writers Do Here. It's What Artists Like Mark Bagley, Todd Nauck, Olivier Coipel, Russel Dautermann, David Marquez, Mike Deodaton, Sara Pichelli, Stuart Immonen, Phil Noto, Steve Epting, Lienel Francis Yu, Declan Shavley, Kris Anka, Adam Kubert, Nathan Stockman, Daniel Acuna, Jim Cheung, Gerardo Sandoval, Mark Brooks, Veronica Fish, Leonardo Romero, Ramon Rosanas, Ramon Perez, Greg Smallwood, Chris Bachalo, Steve McNiven, Guri Hiru, Paolo Rivera, Esad Ribic, Chris Samnee, Alex Maleev, Salva Espin, And A Couple Of Others Actually Really Deserve. I'm Sure Most Of Them Have. But, They Actually Deserve As Much Credit As Some Of The Writers.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92

@ursaber

@amazingfantasy

@blacksuit

@animehunter

@itsaworld

An Upcoming Issue Of X-Men Gold Will Focus On Kitty Pryde And Colossus

The appearance of Kitty Pryde and Colossus together for a page in X-Men: Gold #1 by Mark Guggenheim and Ardian Syaf (now remembered more – for other reasons) was seen as short shrift for the ex-couple. But not to be.

At the Marvel ResurrXion panel at C2E2, happening right now, Guggenheim stated that in a future issue of the series, he and artist Ken Lashley (a big Colossus fan) will be creating a single issue together that focuses on Kitty and Colossus together.

I just don’t know how she tells all the Peters apart.

Oh and look forward to a “character seed” that Guggenheim has planted that will take until issue 20 to flower…

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, did a review of Secret Empire #0, and in many ways, this was a very difficult one for me to write. Because parts of this comic are extremely well-written and illustrated, and almost everything fits together perfectly. At the same time, though, the apparent retcon in the Prologue is, as I wrote, "cynical as it is pointless and destructive," and no matter how this event unfolds, it's really destroyed Captain America as a character.

Stillanerd Reviews: Secret Empire #0

-

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I chatted with a comic shop today about the whole Marvel Hydra theme thing...and it's even more ridiculous!

Okay, so we already know you have to buy the stuff for this event right? You have to buy some overpriced T-Shirts...but get this! I was told by the shop Igo to, that the T-shirts only come in men's large and x-large.

No women sizes and nothing for thinner guys.

Wow Marvel! I already knew you kinda thought we all were a walking steryotype but COME OOOOON! Heck, the shop I go to has 2 women on their staff and guys that are on the thinner side. You can't be serious Marvel.

Oh and here's another kicker, not only do you have to purchase these t-shirts, to be part of this thing, you also have to overstock on Marvel's titles. This is apparently how they think they can get sales.

What's even more interesting, is that the shop I go to tells me that DC does a sellback thing wich makes it easier to purchase for them while Marvel doesn't. DC encourages trying out new titles, and if they don't sell well, you can sell them back to them. I thought that was pretty cool!

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25736  Edited By animehunter

Previews: April 26th, 2017

Previews provided by Comic Book Resources

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #1

STORY BY Peter David
    ART BY Mark Bagley
    COVER BY Mark Bagley, Greg Land, Tom Lyle, John Tyler Christopher & J. Scott Campbell

One of the most controversial characters in comics has returned — and the controversy has only BEGUN! In the aftermath of THE CLONE CONSPIRACY, Ben has a new take on life…and he’s not the same Scarlet Spider he was before. Come witness what will be the most talked about comic of the year!

PREVIEW

Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! #17 (Black Cat?)

STORY BY Kate Leth
    ART BY Brittney L. Williams
    COLORS BY Rachelle Rosenberg
    LETTERS BY VC's Clayton Cowles
    COVER BY Brittney L. Williams

MALL MADNESS!

• How can Patsy be spending this much time with Jubilee and NOT go to the mall?

• Will they swing by the food court? Catch a movie? Have a fashion montage?

• Certainly no villains will be there. What would a villain possibly be doing at the mall??

PREVIEW

NOTE: FINAL ISSUE

-

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: Thanks for the info. I don't even have words, this is beyond ridiculous. Wtf Marvel...

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: Woah I wasn't aware Reilly's comic was coming out this month. LOL Nice surprise.
    And that Patsy title is finally ending... It had sales so so low but seems everything has a limit. End Moon Girl next!

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna play that arcade game with Hellcat.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy@animehunter@blacksuit@marvelman92@zariusii

So I chatted with a comic shop today about the whole Marvel Hydra theme thing...and it's even more ridiculous!

Okay, so we already know you have to buy the stuff for this event right? You have to buy some overpriced T-Shirts...but get this! I was told by the shop Igo to, that the T-shirts only come in men's large and x-large.

Wow Marvel! I already knew you kinda thought we all were a walking steryotype but COME OOOOON! Heck, the shop I go to has 2 women on their staff and guys that are on the thinner side. You can't be serious Marvel.

Oh and here's another kicker, not only do you have to purchase these t-shirts, to be part of this thing, you also have to overstock on Marvel's titles. This is apparently how they think they can get sales.

What's even more interesting, is that the shop I go to tells me that DC does a sellback thing wich makes it easier to purchase for them while Marvel doesn't. DC encourages trying out new titles, and if they don't sell well, you can sell them back to them. I thought that was pretty cool!

You know what's frightening, that even with all this cynical controversial convolution, suckers will get in line to actually support this. Civil War II was downright bad but even so it sold.

If Marvel makes a big bundle of money out of this because of insane retailers and readers, it only reinforces their stance that controversy sells and that they can do whatever the hell they want and get away with it.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy: its just another gimmick to get people to order more books I guess. Maybe they are cutting down on all the extras that are distributed to shops and this is their alternative solution.

Marvel is just getting plain silly and honestly insulting. They shouldn't have let Nick Spencer do this story...though maybe this all came out of their bitterness and rage. Anger leads to nothing good in its wake and yet Marvel is fairly lax at giving reprecussions to their employees for certain attitudes. It seems less like a buisness at times and more of a "hangout"

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: True, but there have been noticeable reprecussions for Marvel's current way of marketing and comics. There's been an apparent huge decline on marvel comic series starting from way back since secretwars. The events sell but I don't think they are getting the hits they used to. Original Civil War and events before then brought in the numbers because they were so rare, yet in current days, they aren't really pulling numbers. Some events do okay but not as strongly as in the past. HECK! All series they do only hit like around 30k or lower when before most of these events, there were larger income.

And yes, there will still be people buying secret wars and probably doing this gimmick. Probably most will be die hard Marvel fans, because no matter how bad a series gets, they will continue to read that series. This is why SPider-Man continues to sell well, because it's Peter Parker Spider-Man.

So will it sell well? Maybe, but after this event and their tactics, people have learned who's running the show and calling the shots. Not many are going to stick around after this. If there was a fall in sales after events like Secret Wars, there will probably be a larger decline after this....and maybe something they will not be able to pull themselves out of since they promised no more LARGE EVENTS (yeah they are doing tiny events, but with what we saw with monsters unleashed, it'll do okay for what it is)

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. So, Let Me Get This Straight. You Have To Buy This Comic Series.......Yet, You Have To Get The T-Shirt As Well?.........Um, I Expected To Buy This Comic(Which I Probably Won't), Not Get Some T-Shirt Which I Probably Won't Even Like. How About This? How About If You Buy This Comic, You'll Get A Free Trading Card Featuring Marvel Characters, Some Special Abilities, Locations, Power Ups, Equipments, Etc. That Actually Sounds Alot More Enjoyable And More Worthy Enough Of Buying Right? I Mean, Really. Anything Is Better Than Getting Some Ugly T-Shirt. I Came Here To Buy A Comic. Not Get Some T-Shirt Which I Probably Won't Even Like At All. I Mean Really.

I Also Have To Disagree With @ursaber's Statement On Readers Buying This Series Regardless. This Series Seems Exciting And Hopefully Seems To Be Honestly The Best Event Marvel Has Put Out In A While. But, I Doubt Some Readers And Fans Would Be Even Desperate Enough To Buy A Shirt In The Process. I Mean, Really. Marvel's Sales And Stock Market Are So Complicated That It Would Be Ridiculous If They Go As Far As To Purposely Try To Ruin Their Brand That Much. Controversy Does Not Even Sell Well At All TBH. Regardless If They Have Disney On Their Backs, Their Status As A Comic Book Industry Is A Bit Troublesome. Hopefully During Or After Secret Empire They'll Be Able To Listen To Their Fans And Readers For Once And Try To Fix Their Characters, Universe, Mythos, And Their Industry. They're Status Has Been A Bit Complicated. After What Happened In X-Men Gold And What's Going On Right Now At Secret Empire, They Should Be Able To Focus On Trying To Make Their Series At Least Good, Stable, And More Comfortable To Read And Enjoy. I Mean, They Should Try An Actually Do What Their Fans And Readers Have Been Suggesting For A While Now. Ignoring Them And Pandering To The SJW Crowd And Their Handling On Sales Have Gotten Them In This Kind Of Situation. I Also Suggest They Try And Get A New Editor In Chief After This. Someone Who Is More Passionate On The Characters, Their Universe, And Also Their Mythos. Someone From The Comic Industry. Someone Like Maybe Either Gerry Conway, Peter David, Robbie Thompson, Charles Soule, Or Maybe Even Someone At Disney Who Shares These Kinds Of Things. Anybody Would Be Good Just As Long As They Show Their Love And Respect Towards The Marvel Universe And Their Characters And Mythos.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: True, but there have been noticeable reprecussions for Marvel's current way of marketing and comics. There's been an apparent huge decline on marvel comic series starting from way back since secretwars. The events sell but I don't think they are getting the hits they used to. Original Civil War and events before then brought in the numbers because they were so rare, yet in current days, they aren't really pulling numbers. Some events do okay but not as strongly as in the past. HECK! All series they do only hit like around 30k or lower when before most of these events, there were larger income.

And yes, there will still be people buying secret wars and probably doing this gimmick. Probably most will be die hard Marvel fans, because no matter how bad a series gets, they will continue to read that series. This is why SPider-Man continues to sell well, because it's Peter Parker Spider-Man.

So will it sell well? Maybe, but after this event and their tactics, people have learned who's running the show and calling the shots. Not many are going to stick around after this. If there was a fall in sales after events like Secret Wars, there will probably be a larger decline after this....and maybe something they will not be able to pull themselves out of since they promised no more LARGE EVENTS (yeah they are doing tiny events, but with what we saw with monsters unleashed, it'll do okay for what it is)

Yeah, I Doubt Their Sales Will Decline That Much After Secret Empire. I Mean, They'll Have Other Series To Promote Especially Ones Tying Into The Films. I Mean, Look At What DC Has Been Doing Lately. They've Had Lack Of And Smaller Events And They Still Sell Fine. Marvel Would Do The Same If They Play Them Well And Actually Listen To What Their Fans And Readers Have To Say. The Events Thing Have Been Annoying And Tiresome, Especially With Those Heroes Vs Heroes Events. I'd Rather Have More Smaller Events That Would Involve Some Street Level Heroes, Atlantians, Wakandians, Cosmic Related Stuff, Mystical And Magical Related Stuff For Some Wizards, Sorcerors, Witches, Mages, Warlocks, And Other Sort Of Magical Beings And Spellcasters, Some Asgardian Related Stuff, Some Greek/Norse God Related Stuff, Some Spy Espionage Related Stuff, Anything That Doesn't Involve Some "Big Epic Size Event That'd "Change The Marvel Universe As We Know It"". I Mean, I Rather Have A Few Small Events That'd Revolve Around A Few Other Characters Than Have Multiple Events Plus A Big Life Changing Event.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: Oh nonono! I didn't mean the consumer. I meant the retailer!

Marvel has been offering retailers (comic shops) to participate in their event by wearing hydra attire and hydra theme stuff. thing is, you apparently have to PURCHASE the outfits wich are only for a specific build of people and you have to of ORDERED a TON of Marvel comics for your store.

...so in other words, to participate, you have to fork over tons of cash and support this nightmare Marvel has become

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: @marvelman92:

First of all, Secret Wars 2015, was a masterpiece of an event. It was like a lifetime reward for all the crap stunts Marvel has pulled over the years. The dark part of this is that even if the event was awesome, there were little to no true changes other than ending the F4 and bringing Miles into continuity.

As for Secret Empire and events, it has been proven beyond doubt that Marvel's events will consume their lineup and a LOT of people both regular and die hard Marvel fans will support it whether its good or bad but YES the event fatigue is in the air and every subsequent event lowers the standard of sales. Even so I can see Secret Empire and its marketing gimmick overshadowing all Marvel books and luring everyone. The controversy Marvel stirs up is to get attention and the more attention the more the word gets around and therefore the more exposure. Thankfully even that strategy is starting to fail quite a lot.

Also, the MCU films don't actually improve the sales of the comics. Maybe a small boost but Doctor Strange last year did not improve the Doctor Strange comic by any significant margin.

In the end the choice is the customers on whether they want to buy the books or not. I only buy RYV and Infamous Iron Man.

And @marvelman92 I am sorry man but I am frustratingly tired of your all caps posts. I sometimes even skip them because of how long they are and bothersome to read. Please stop using all caps or at the very least separate your posts into three line paragraphs to make the reading less frustrating PLEASE! I say this because I do like hearing your opinion but you're not making it easier on me.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: Oh nonono! I didn't mean the consumer. I meant the retailer!

Marvel has been offering retailers (comic shops) to participate in their event by wearing hydra attire and hydra theme stuff. thing is, you apparently have to PURCHASE the outfits wich are only for a specific build of people and you have to of ORDERED a TON of Marvel comics for your store.

...so in other words, to participate, you have to fork over tons of cash and support this nightmare Marvel has become

The retailers should NOT get more Marvel titles.

In fact they should boycott or stand against the tyranny of Marvel which in many ways makes Marvel look like the Secret Empire Hydra they're promoting.

OMG, Marvel Comics IS HYDRA!!!

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

You know what's frightening, that even with all this cynical controversial convolution, suckers will get in line to actually support this. Civil War II was downright bad but even so it sold.

If Marvel makes a big bundle of money out of this because of insane retailers and readers, it only reinforces their stance that controversy sells and that they can do whatever the hell they want and get away with it.

Hmmm. CW II did sell but I think Marvel wanted it to be this exploding, mega event (Like SW)... Especially given that it was released with the movie, but instead it sold like a regular event. Sure it outsold most comics but so does pretty much every event. It did pretty average (if not plain bad) for what it was meant to be.

And hey don't forget that this recently blew up in their faces (And Marvel is facing bad rep due to Hydra/Nazi stuff). It took about 3 years for people to speak with their wallets but seems they're finally doing so. Controversy does sell (or as another user said, the SSM formula) but they overdone it. Way, way too much. SE will probably outsell most if not all comics (especially the first issue), but for events, what matters are the actual numbers. SW first issue sold over 500k and CW II first issue didn't even get to 400k. By issue 5 issue SW was in solid 200k mark and CW II was already in 100k by issue 2. Both were usually the biggest sales of the month but as you see there's a clear and big difference.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy: But even so, thanks to all the controversy and Nazi/Hydra nonsense, word will spread like a virus and people will come to check it out. Other than that, you're on point. I actually think some CWII issues sold less than 100k.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.