Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man Comics Discussion

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm reading it solely to see the return of Peter Parker. Doc Ock obviously won't last forever at some point they will fix this. My guess is, The Superior Spider-Man won't last much longer at the rate he is going. Dan Slott is making him a pretty unlikable character, and I have to say it looks like it's on purpose especially now, in the beginning he was just creepy. I'm just curious to see what he is doing building up to the point when everything is fixed.

Will it be time travel? Looks like Miguel is already showing that hand, also the X-men obviously have hardly any issues zipping through time as it is haha. Alternate universe, some crazy reset button again... Will Doctor Jackal create another clone...and place Peter's brain in there? The series isn't my cup of tea, but hopefully they fix it soon, before the main Spidey becomes a thing of the past.

I understand, but I just can't see reading a book that I don't like waiting for it to get better. I would rather spend my money on something I like.

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt this is how the current storyline will end but I had a thought after seeing the solicitations with Spock thinking on the memories of him living Peter's life, learning the lesson of with great power comes great responsibility. What if, to protect the future from evil, Miguel sacrifices himself so Alchemax was never started. This is the necessary evil that gives the current storyline it's title. Spock sees this and sees him as a true hero and realizes what he did to Peter was villainous. This begins the turn in the series where Spock begins to be redeemed and at the same time seek a way to bring Peter back.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2353  Edited By animehunter

QUESTION?

Does the venom symbiote have something to do in regards to memory. Wasn't there an instance where Peter put on the symbiote and when Eddie Brock did he learned of Peter being Spider-man. Doesn't that indicate that the symbiote retains some/most of the Peter's memories.

With Darkest Hours 3/4 issues away, and the solicits telling us that SpOck ends up wearing the symbiote, could the fact that the symbiote could have Peters memories trigger or place those memories back in Peters' head. Also remember what the solicit for issue #24 said "Who is THE SUPERIOR VENOM?!"

You might also ask if that's the case wouldn't Flash Thompson also know of Peters' secret, I doubt it, if what Mephisto also affected the symbiote.

You could also ask wouldn't the memories the symbiote retained be that of Peter when he was still early in his spider-man career and still attending school/college/university can't recall which, at least when he was still working for Jameson as photographer for the Daily Bugle.

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: The symbiote might be able to learn it (and Ock's secret) again. I also thought Ock would have the symbiote but I'm doubting now, it would be nothing like Ock to willingly bond to it, unless there's a struggle of sorts and he's forced to do so to keep his triple identity from Flash.

Come to think of it, shouldn't Carnage have learned Ben Reilly's identity and story when it bonded to him that one time? Therefore giving Kasady the (dangerous) knowledge when it came back to him much like Brock had the symbiote's knowledge about Peter.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter:

Venom has been drug most of the time, and probably doesn’t “fell” the need to tell his secrets to all his hosts. Also if venom does “remember” Peter memories, then it would only be up to the point when Pete removes himself from it. And I do think venom remembers how spider man is (was?).

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

J.G. Jones' Variant cover for Superior Spider-Man #19.

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/114/088/original/superior19jonesvar.jpg

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2357  Edited By spider11211

The cover looks Amazing...pun intended.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2358  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Somebody is coming back...I can feel it!!!

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is only a matter of time...hahahahh

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@animehunter: Am i the only one who feels worried 'bout the cover?!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

QUESTION?

Does the venom symbiote have something to do in regards to memory. Wasn't there an instance where Peter put on the symbiote and when Eddie Brock did he learned of Peter being Spider-man. Doesn't that indicate that the symbiote retains some/most of the Peter's memories.

With Darkest Hours 3/4 issues away, and the solicits telling us that SpOck ends up wearing the symbiote, could the fact that the symbiote could have Peters memories trigger or place those memories back in Peters' head. Also remember what the solicit for issue #24 said "Who is THE SUPERIOR VENOM?!"

You might also ask if that's the case wouldn't Flash Thompson also know of Peters' secret, I doubt it, if what Mephisto also affected the symbiote.

You could also ask wouldn't the memories the symbiote retained be that of Peter when he was still early in his spider-man career and still attending school/college/university can't recall which, at least when he was still working for Jameson as photographer for the Daily Bugle.

Not only memories but fears and things that make Peter happy.....he was the Symbiote's first host,so it bonded with him.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: Am i the only one who feels worried 'bout the cover?!

No.

On the bright side with the money I have saved from buying this book I have purchased all of the Robin books (and the first 3 limited runs).

Next on my list is all of the Power man and Iron fist books...I may score them today.

Spider_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question is tho, how does Miguel remember having an adventure with Pete back in the day (does sound so `Goonies` retro lol) when all that history was erased after `One More Day`? Pretty sure that Pete and MJ were married in that one cause Miguel woke up in bed with MJ when they time swapped!! Or are we cherry picking what happened and not happened after the retcon now Marvel???

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2364  Edited By Webhead_99

@spider_nerd: It still happened but with them only living together? That does raise another question, because Mig remembers Peter's identity. Does the psychic blindspot not work towards the future? Even then, Miguel should've been affected because he technically was in the past once. Maybe by going back to the future (sorry) the blindspot faded away, but I thought they had to re-learn Spidey's identity to regain all memories concerning it.

tl;dr Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey stuff.

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8008s said:

@spider_nerd: It still happened but with them only living together?

Yep. That's the way the rule was set when we (the writing team for Brand New Day) picked up the book after the changes the previous team made in One More Day.

With the exception of the annual where the marriage took place-- and the stories where Pete & MJ's baby was born-- all past "they were married" stories became "they were living together" stories. And we've stayed consistent with that from ASM #546 on.

@8008s said:

Does the psychic blindspot not work towards the future?

If the blindspot (Dr. Strange's spell) worked beyond the present, everyone would keep constantly forgetting. At least, that's how I looked at while working on this issue. So, as confusing as it sounds, Mephisto's deal (OMD) changed reality (the marriage). Dr. Strange's spell (OMIT) changed everyone's perception/memory in the present.

Blerg.

Confusing. I know. But this is me, playing by the rules as they've been laid out. End of the day, it's story logic and not story. Going by reader reaction and fan mail, most people sailed right over it and just followed the story.

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2366  Edited By DanSlott

@spider11211 said:

I understand, but I just can't see reading a book that I don't like waiting for it to get better. I would rather spend my money on something I like.

@spider11211 said:

On the bright side with the money I have saved from buying this book I have purchased all of the Robin books (and the first 3 limited runs).

Next on my list is all of the Power man and Iron fist books...I may score them today.

Question: You're not buying the book. You're not reading the book. Why dedicate so much trying to suss out second-hand what's happening in the book and going online to constantly complain about it?

Just curious. It seems that there should probably be a better use for your time: Talking about a book that you're actually reading, going outside, playing GTAV, baking a cake, etc.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: Dr.Strange is constantly informed about everything wrong happening in the universe.....he couldnt see Ock invading Peter's mind?....

For example....

No Caption Provided

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2369  Edited By spider11211

@danslott said:

@spider11211 said:

@spider11211 said:

Question: You're not buying the book. You're not reading the book. Why dedicate so much trying to suss out second-hand what's happening in the book and going online to constantly complain about it?

Just curious. It seems that there should probably be a better use for your time: Talking about a book that you're actually reading, going outside, playing GTAV, baking a cake, etc.

Answer: Because I want to, and it does not take much time. I keep track so that I can start buying it again when it looks like I will enjoy it. The person I responded to said:

"I'm reading it solely to see the return of Peter Parker. Doc Ock obviously won't last forever at some point they will fix this. My guess is, The Superior Spider-Man won't last much longer at the rate he is going. Dan Slott is making him a pretty unlikable character, and I have to say it looks like it's on purpose especially now, in the beginning he was just creepy. I'm just curious to see what he is doing building up to the point when everything is fixed.that he is only reading it for the return of peter."

Based on his post I can understand his stance and where he is coming from so I responded. I often post here while I am relaxing in my sun-room enjoying the view outside. I do not play GTAV and I do not enjoy baking. If you look you will see that I post on many other topics as well, you will also see that I make compliments for example I made a compliment on the cover of the book that was posted.

One might ask you why do you spend so much time on forums or why do you find the need to respond to my post. I stated an opinion just like you can state yours. I appreciate your question and I hope that you appreciate my response.

I hope your book is as good as the cover "issue 19" because it looks fantastic.

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: Dr.Strange is constantly informed about everything wrong happening in the universe.....he couldnt see Ock invading Peter's mind?....

For example....

No Caption Provided

I think the very panel you're using as an example goes AGAINST the point you're making.

Doctor Strange RESPECTS Spider-Man's privacy. He does NOT invade it even though he easily could. Same for all the heroic telepaths in the Marvel U.

Think of how many times Spidey has come into contact with them over his 50 year history-- and none of them-- even when Spider-Man has been acting strangely or WANTED FOR MURDER-- have breached that protocol. The only thing that makes things different NOW is that YOU, the reader, know that something is off and it's bugging you that the other fictional characters in the Marvel Universe don't know what YOU know.

If Doctor Strange is constantly informed about everything wrong in the universe, why didn't he solve World War Hulk easier-- or forewarned the other Illuminati that Hulk was returning sooner? Why didn't he tell the Avengers that Dell Rusk, the United States Secretary of Defense, was really the Red Skull during the Red Zone arc? Why didn't he tell Spider-Man that his arch enemy, the Green Goblin, was really Norman Osborn YEARS AGO? Why didn't he tell his pal, the Silver Surfer, the very simple trick he could have used to break through the barrier Galactus set up around Earth (an idea so simple, Ben Grimm figured it out)? Why didn't he tell the other Defenders the secret of the Elf with a Gun?

If you go down the "Why didn't Doctor Strange do...?" path, you'd be able to put a monkey wrench into EVERY story that has EVER been told in the Marvel Universe. So it's kinda silly to JUST pull it out for Superior Spider-Man. ;-)

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2371  Edited By darthfury78

@danslott: Well said, Dan. Any plans for Otto to work with Longshot?

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2372  Edited By spider11211
    Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@danslott: All I want to know is if Hank Pym is going to be the one to figure out how to bring Petey back seeing as he is the Scientist Supreme and all!

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2374  Edited By spider11211

@danslott: All I want to know is if Hank Pym is going to be the one to figure out how to bring Petey back seeing as he is the Scientist Supreme and all!

Going back to Dan Slotts' great work on the Avengers I see!

I loved that run, I think it gave Hank Pym some of the respect that he deserves.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night_thrasher said:

Going back to Dan Slotts' great work on the Avengers I see!

I loved that run, I think it gave Hank Pym some of the respect that he deserves.

His Mighty Avengers, Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF and DnA's cosmic titles stood out IMO during that era of Marvel. Very underrated work!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2376  Edited By PunyParker

@danslott: "Doctor Strange RESPECTS Spider-Man's privacy. He does NOT invade it even though he easily could. Same for all the heroic telepaths in the Marvel U."

So,he doesnt even try to solve out weird problems....in this very panel,as you adress,he invades Peter's mind to tell him something.And he helped Spider-Man that period of time,very very much by disturbing his privacy.
    Also,i am really bummed that conveniently enough Julia Carpenter is on a coma(or "in" a coma....i dont know..),when all this stuff is going on.....and that noone,including you,havent used Dr.Strange productively since mr.Straczynski.

"If Doctor Strange is constantly informed about everything wrong in the universe, why didn't he solve World War Hulk easier-- or forewarned the other Illuminati that Hulk was returning sooner? Why didn't he tell the Avengers that Dell Rusk, the United States Secretary of Defense, was really the Red Skull during the Red Zone arc? Why didn't he tell Spider-Man that his arch enemy, the Green Goblin, was really Norman Osborn YEARS AGO? Why didn't he tell his pal, the Silver Surfer, the very simple trick he could have used to break through the barrier Galactus set up around Earth (an idea so simple, Ben Grimm figured it out)? Why didn't he tell the other Defenders the secret of the Elf with a Gun?"

So....you're enigmatically telling me that he DOESNT know everything happening in the Universe,and that i am missinformed about his powers??.....help me out here.
    As about Norman.....it didnt take long for Peter to find out he's the Goblin,really.....

Another question,the Green Goblin,the one you're using now.....he knows Peter is Spider-Man?......(i hope he's Norman,but i think you'll "surprise" me again....)

Οh! ...my inner-reading voice is confuced with the UPS and DOWNS the excessive and constant use of CAPS is causing..... :-P

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: Hey, Dan, will you be the one that brings back Pete? Don't say when, what, who, just answer with a yes or no (if you're allowed to).

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2378  Edited By angelalfonso

@phaedrusgr:

He won’t answer that… there is no point in asking

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another question,the Green Goblin,the one you're using now.....he knows Peter is Spider-Man?......(i hope he's Norman,but i think you'll "surprise" me again....)

I don’t think this green goblin is Norman (it would make me happy if he is but I’m sure he is not), but maybe Slotts plan is to driving us off track, so at the end when he reviles the identity of the goblin king it will turn up to be Norman after all.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2380  Edited By PunyParker

@angelalfonso said:

@punyparker said:

I don’t think this green goblin is Norman (it would make me happy if he is but I’m sure he is not), but maybe Slotts plan is to driving us off track, so at the end when he reviles the identity of the goblin king it will turn up to be Norman after all.

Τhe one thing that has me going is that Norman escaped from the hospital back then......if he isnt the Goblin,where the hell is he?.......

Also a famous industrialist,ESCAPED FROM THE HOSPITAL THROUGH THE WINDOW,where he was in the ,i dont know,15th,20th floor!?.....how?!......and no news reports of him missing?....as i said he's a FAMOUS industrialist.....

Ah,what's the point of talking continuity in comics......Liz Allan never met Norman until he came back to life and Harry was dead,and at Liz's home was a family photo of Liz,Harry,Normie and Norman standing...........

@phaedrusgr said:

@danslott: Hey, Dan, will you be the one that brings back Pete? Don't say when, what, who, just answer with a yes or no (if you're allowed to).

No point of asking.Absolutelly no point.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2381  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@punyparker, @angelalfonso: I know he won't answer. I was hoping for something though, a hint or something hidden in his words, behind the curtain, under the rug, into the cupboard, you get the point... Anyway, a boy can always dream...

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last night I was watching one of my favorite South Park episodes (make love not warcraft) and I couldn't stop laughing when I noticed that the “evil one” looks a lot like certain someone. Could it be a just a coincidence?

No Caption Provided

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2383  Edited By Ninjablade09

@punyparker, @angelalfonso: I know he won't answer. I was hoping for something though, a hint or something hidden in his words, behind the curtain, under the rug, into the cupboard, you get the point... Anyway, a boy can always dream...

I would say he would as Superior is his story, kinda like Morrison and Damian.

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2384  Edited By DanSlott

@angelalfonso said:

Last night I was watching one of my favorite South Park episodes (make love not warcraft) and I couldn't stop laughing when I noticed that the “evil one” looks a lot like certain someone. Could it be a just a coincidence?

No Caption Provided

Yeah. People on these boards aren't dick-ish at all.

Nope. Not at all. :-P

"Hey, why don't you hang out here more and answer our questions?"

:-/

Icewolf907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angelalfonso: Nah, that's just the image people think of when they imagine the stereotypical internet troll.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@danslott said:

@angelalfonso said:

No Caption Provided

Its okay Slott I still like you <3

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@danslott said:

@angelalfonso said:

No Caption Provided

Its okay Slott I still like you <3

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@angelalfonso: Wow I usually stay away from the SSM boards but

@danslott: I do not know how you can put up with people like that. I bet for every one nice fan asking a legitimate question there must be three like this guy that just throws insults out to be a dick.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@angelalfonso: Please don't insult people like that. You may have your differences of opinion, but personal insults like that are completely unwarranted. Don't do it again.

Darkseid011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2390  Edited By Darkseid011
    No Caption Provided

i personally think superior spider-man is one of marvels best series.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane: It wasn’t meant to be an insult it was suppose to be a joke. if he was offend by that then I’m sorry, but you have to admit Slott was very quickly to assume I was talking about him even though I didn’t say it (not really)

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angelalfonso seriously man? You're faulting @danslott for assuming you were talking about him with that picture. Of course you were talking about him. That's not an assumption, that's what you were saying, whether you used his name or not. Don't take the pansy way out. Either admit it was a douchey joke in poor taste or don't, but don't play it off like you weren't talking about him and insult everyone's intelligence. You might not like Superior or Slott's writing decisions but that's not reason to tear him down as a person.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2393  Edited By angelalfonso

@angelalfonso seriously man? You're faulting @danslott for assuming you were talking about him with that picture. Of course you were talking about him. That's not an assumption, that's what you were saying, whether you used his name or not. Don't take the pansy way out. Either admit it was a douchey joke in poor taste or don't, but don't play it off like you weren't talking about him and insult everyone's intelligence. You might not like Superior or Slott's writing decisions but that's not reason to tear him down as a person.

Never the less I didn’t say it. And like I saied before: I apologies for my joke.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott said:

@angelalfonso said:

No Caption Provided

Yeah......."people here".......you arent dick-ish at all too.......he posted a pic,you wont answer OTHER peoples' questions.....yeah.....aren't at -shocking- all....

Also,when i post questions which you find the answer,cocky,you answer,no prob.......but when it's an honest anwer,whick may contain,writing style,literature serious,elements,you blow me off.......thanks.

Dont just be a troll,discuss about your writing,and the stories in general......maybe those pics wont exist,from "people here".....

Avatar image for captain_oblivious
    captain_oblivious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott said:

I have 2 theories- 1) It's like watching a horror movie when one of the characters is about to go into a dark basement by themselves. You yell at the screen "Don't go down there!" It's pointless because the movie/story has already been completed and it's just fun. 2) You're the Paul Sheldon to our Annie Wilkes.

@danslott said:

Doctor Strange RESPECTS Spider-Man's privacy. He does NOT invade it even though he easily could. Same for all the heroic telepaths in the Marvel U.

But as you're showing with SpOck trying to become "superior", the definition of "heroic" can also be subjective. After House of M, Spider-Man was on the helecarrier and Shield used their mind readers to find out what happened. This was after the decimation and yet Shield still had enough super-powered personnel to be able to read minds. Shield would consider it in their interest to know who was on board when Spider-Man paid a visit in the Avenging title. Shield is supposed to be a good organization yet they wouldn't be above using extra legal means to achieve an end. (I could be wrong about Shield reading Spider-Man's mind. It's been a while since I read that issue)

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@danslott: Do the events with Spidey 2099 have anything to do with the stuff teased by the Time Variance Authority in Avenging Superior 17? No need for specifics, just curious to see if something comes from that insane cliffhanger sooner rather than later. Not sure how much you were in touch with Yost during that run but I figure you guys had some sort of through line planned for it.

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2397  Edited By DanSlott

@punyparker said:

Yeah......."people here".......you arent dick-ish at all too.......he posted a pic,you wont answer OTHER peoples' questions.....yeah.....aren't at -shocking- all....

Whoa. So you're definition of "dick-ish" is "not answering other people's questions"?

Really? That's the bar where you set "dick-ish"? C'mon. I'm not your "answer-monkey." I've answered a number of your questions in the past. There's no law here-- and I'm under NO obligation-- to answer any of them. Especially some of the questions that you, yourself, have asked in a very loaded way.

Look, I have to get out two to three books a month-- and working on those with my creative team and sweating over all the details-- THAT'S how I'm going to spend most of time at this keyboard. Any time I spend on the internet is extra. I am on a number of sites and I answer a lot of questions over there. Most of the time I spend online interacting with fans are over at Twitter, FB, and CBR (in that order. I also do Formspring once in a blue moon). That's my choice.

Most of the time I'm here on ComicVine it's primarily for 1 reason-- someone is posting some insane shit about the numbers and/or ranking of our book-- stuff that is so off in Conspiracy Loony Land-- that it reaches the point where I pop up and set the record straight. For 9 months we've had what has consistently been Marvel's BEST performing ongoing title. Outside of the GOTG issue that tied into Age of Ultron, brought in a controversial character from the Spawn Universe, AND was co-guest-written by Neil Gaiman, we've had a pretty good streak-- TWICE a month to boot. Everyone in the industry, the trades, the comic web sites, and the majority of the fan base take this as an indisputable fact. For no other reason than... it is. :-)

But there are some out there who feel the need to fabricate some pretty loopy and labyrinthine logic-- where they hold up the (inaccurate) numbers from the monthly estimates and try to convince you that black is white, white is black, and-- basically-- that a book that's doing something that they don't personally like (story-wise) is failing.

They chart this stuff and try to prove to you that since our first issues sold so well-- and sales for those past issues kept INCREASING due to going back to press a number of times OUT OF DEMAND-- that the sales of the current and later issues are POORER (even when they're still the HIGHEST sales for Marvel ongoing titles in those months). It's one of the cleverest ways I've seen someone spin something that everyone else thinks is a STRENGTH and present it as a WEAKNESS since the Swiftboaters made Senator John Kerry's purple hearts sound like a BAD thing.

They try to pass off the standard attrition of any Top 50 title as something UNIQUE to Superior Spider-Man (which is INSANE).

And those are just a couple examples of some of the shell games I see going on here. I'd cite more, but, dear God, that'd have me typing this ALL DAY! (And, oh boy, are they going to have a field day with the September rankings-- where DC practically doubled their output during villain month, with books tied to their Forever Evil event, and released them with a low supply of 3D covers-- causing a mad scramble by retailers to get copies-- and way over-inflating demand. That "Perfect Storm" of criteria is going to see DC books throw the entire September numbers out of whack and play havoc with normal rankings. It probably won't be till the August numbers are released that you'll see the big picture of how much Villains Month altered the regular "weather patterns"-- so to speak. But whatever the case, it will provide the Chicken Littles of the world LOTS of fodder for whatever arguments they'd like to make.)

Look, while the numbers these dissenters are using for a lot of their charts ARE the same numbers that other web sites and places online use to conduct their analyses-- what's really at fault (and I've been consistent about saying this) is their CRITERIA for WHY those numbers perform one way or the other-- their basic lack of knowledge of how the comic industry works and their assumptions for WHY things track the way they do can be laughable. And that's when I feel the need to pop in here, for no other reason than to sort that nonsense out.

I hope you can appreciate that if someone was doing something THIS messed up-- and spreading egregious misinformation about something YOU worked on, that YOU'D want to show up and set the record straight as well. Is that fair?

@punyparker said:

Dont just be a troll,discuss about your writing,and the stories in general......maybe those pics wont exist,from "people here".....

If you want me to answer questions about continuity and whatnot... Honestly? Your best chance is over on Twitter.

And if you're basic argument is, "If you're NOT our 'answer monkey', you deserve stuff like that picture," that's not a really enticing reason to answer you about anything at all. :-/

I don't think that picture came about because of me answering-or-not-answering your questions. It came about because someone is upset over something that happened in a comic book and they feel that justifies any kind of shot that they would like to take at me as a person. Nothing more, nothing less.

Though I appreciate that they eventually apologized.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott:

"Most of the time I'm here on ComicVine it's primarily for 1 reason-- someone is posting some insane shit about the numbers and/or ranking of our book-- stuff that is so off in Conspiracy Loony Land-- that it reaches the point where I pop up and set the record straight."

If the info is that absurd why do you even care? You know its wrong, and as we all know the interwebs is full of idiots who don't know sh**, why do you have to correct them? Its a waste of your time especially as you said you have better things to do like write your book.

''I hope you can appreciate that if someone was doing something THIS messed up-- and spreading egregious misinformation about something YOU worked on, that YOU'D want to show up and set the record straight as well. Is that fair?"

I would but, in the end I know they are wrong and they are just spreading rumors, that will honestly excite others, and completely let them down.

And again who cares if its selling well money dose not equal quality!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

sigh here we go again.

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2400  Edited By DanSlott

@ninjablade09 said:

"Most of the time I'm here on ComicVine it's primarily for 1 reason-- someone is posting some insane shit about the numbers and/or ranking of our book-- stuff that is so off in Conspiracy Loony Land-- that it reaches the point where I pop up and set the record straight."

If the info is that absurd why do you even care? You know its wrong, and as we all know the interwebs is full of idiots who don't know sh**, why do you have to correct them? Its a waste of your time especially as you said you have better things to do like write your book.

''I hope you can appreciate that if someone was doing something THIS messed up-- and spreading egregious misinformation about something YOU worked on, that YOU'D want to show up and set the record straight as well. Is that fair?"

I would but, in the end I know they are wrong and they are just spreading rumors, that will honestly excite others, and completely let them down.

And again who cares if its selling well money dose not equal quality!

Here's why.

It sucks.

I spent a hard fought portion of my career working on books that fans and critics considered "cult favorites" (which reads: high on quality, low on sales). And when you're part of a team struggling on a titles like BATMAN ADVENTURES, SHE-HULK, or THE THING, you really do appreciate the fan outreach and the grass root support-- but your livelihood and the well being of your title depends on sales. For example: after losing one artist on SHE-HULK, we weren't able to go after a big name guy who was interested in drawing the book, because his page rate was too high versus the sales that SHE-HULK regularly brought in. He would've killed on that book, but low "cult-level" sales prevented us from approaching him. A continued run of good sales on multiple projects also decides whether a company offers you an exclusive contract and benefits (like health insurance). Sales also determine what offers for books creators are given in the future. Sales do mean something.

Why do you think ABC has been touting how well SHIELD performed in the ratings? Or why studios proudly declare how well their opening box office numbers were for one move or the other. Sales also create buzz for that project that you're working away on-- they send out a message to the readers and viewers that "Hey! Everyone's checking this out! Maybe you should too?"

And to that, I know a lot of you are rolling your eyes and saying "What? You're saying that I should want to be like some kind of sheep or lemming and do what everyone else is doing?" That's a cynical way of looking at it. The reality is-- We LOVE sharing stories. We LOVE the social aspect of it! It's FUN to pick up the phone and call a friend, or sit with them at a diner, or just rush to Twitter-- and talk about that story you ALL just experienced! "Didn't you love that bit where they--?" "I can't believe that she ended up with HIM!" "Oh my God! That cliffhanger was intense! How could they end it like THAT?!" That's part of the experience as well. And that social experience-- and the fun of doing that with a LOT of people-- comes from that dreaded "sales" indicator that you're deriding.

I've been working hard at this for years (23 to be exact!)-- and being the solo writer for the SPIDER-MAN core title is the 1st TIME I've ever been handed the solo writing spot for a company flagship book. With the BIG TIME run, the creative team bucked the trend of standard sales attrition and (along w/ Hickman's FF run) was one of the few flagship books at Marvel that showed a steady increase over time. SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN was the 1st time a company had me working on a flagship that launched with a #1. And as much as people say "It's Marvel's flagship character"-- let's be honest, there have been times that the X-MEN have ruled the roost, and the AVENGERS, and the ULTIMATE line. All have had their turn as THE flagship for the company. So you really never know how everything is going to shake out. Our first issue went back to press for a 5th printing. They actually had to sit down and figure out what color to use on that thick bar on the bottom of the trade dress because no Marvel NOW! title had gone back for a 5th printing. :-D So, yeah. After 23 years of this-- and lots of time in the trenches where sales were held against me-- I'm on a creative team where we're doing well-- and I'm gonna damn well take pride in it.

And you can critique us for what we're doing (please do!), you can yell at us for changing things up that you liked, you can come at us with torches and pitchforks-- it's all good. But when we DO earn this kind of OBJECTIVE achievement, I feel perfectly in the right stepping in and knocking down someone's attempts to ludicrously spin it into some kind of negative-- based on nothing else than THEIR subjective & flawed views.

...and THAT'S why. :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.