Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man 2 is still the best Spider-Man movie

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I'm sorry but it still is. TASM was good, I enjoyed it - not too sure on Garfield though. But I don't agree that it was better than Spider-Man 2, that movie was brilliant. The acting, emotion, character-development, story-line, etc. It all worked and clicked, still one of the greatest super-hero movies of all time.

I know I might be in the minority since it's the Vine, but does anyone agree?

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By xblah_blahx

I agree with this. My order would be SM2>SM1>ASM>>>>>>>>>>SM3.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I'm leaning more towards the first one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart said:

Why?

Personally I disagree. I think SM1 is better than TASM, but SM2 just took everything from SM1 and developed it further.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@comicdude23: Don't get me wrong, second one was awesome. But the first one gave a great telling of the origin as well as the tragic choices and personal relationships of being Spider-Man. Villain died, father of best friend, turned down the girl, etc.

Plus Willem Dafoe is awesome.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deaditegonzo

I agree that Spider-man 2 is still the best movie featuring Spidey. I think the weakest part of the Raimi movies, besides the fact that they were made at a time when all comic book movies had to be mostly fluff and silliness, is the casting. Tobey and Kirsten are easily some of the worst casting ive seen in a comic book film, EVER. Alba is worse in Fantastic Four sure, but theyre near the top.

Garfield was one of my favorite parts of the new one, with lizard being the worst, and without being completely sold Emma Stone.

But it was good enough, and the foundation is strong enough, where I feel pretty good about the upcoming franchise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: Garfield was too 'emo' if you know what I mean. I mean, why did Peter Parker have a skateboard?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deaditegonzo

@comicdude23 said:

@deaditegonzo: Garfield was too 'emo' if you know what I mean. I mean, why did Peter Parker have a skateboard?

They modernized Parker, a lot like Ultimate Spider-man did. Honestly, I have a preference for the 616 universe, and from my younger days something of a bias against skateboarding, but when I just look at them as a movie, and judge Garfield by how he plays the version of the character he is, I think ASM performs really well.

For me, SM2 > ASM > SM1, and then there is no other Spider-man films.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo said:

@comicdude23 said:

They modernized Parker, a lot like Ultimate Spider-man did. Honestly, I have a preference for the 616 universe, and from my younger days something of a bias against skateboarding, but when I just look at them as a movie, and judge Garfield by how he plays the version of the character he is, I think ASM performs really well.

For me, SM2 > ASM > SM1, and then there is no other Spider-man films.

You forgot Spider-Man 3. LOL. But oh well...

I felt for Tobey's Spider-Man more. He seemed like more of a nerd and put more depth into the character IMHO, I cared for him more.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By JimTheSurfer

@comicdude23 said:

Yeah, Garfield was way too emo, hipster, skater, hater, traitor, inferior, rocker, swinger, singer, stinger, dancer, trancer, but I still liked him.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JimTheSurfer

Spider-man 3 was my favorite... *prepares to get lapidated*

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By DH69

@Dark_Guyver said:

I agree with this. My order would be SM2>SM1>ASM>>>>>>>>>>SM3.

this, doc ock was the only villain done right so far.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TrueMarvel

Emma stone alone puts ASM a few levels above Spider2......

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Ninjablade09

@JimTheSurfer said:

Spider-man 3 was my favorite... *prepares to get lapidated*

Spider-man 3? Why it was a train wreak. I will admit though I thought the first half was great. It only got bad after Black suit Spider-man vs Sandman.

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InfamousFish

I didn't really like any of Rami's movies. Idk why, out of the 3 the 2nd was the best. But IMO I enjoyed the ASM film and am very excited to see what the next films hold.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By consolemaster001

SM2>TASM>SM1>SM3

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Veshark

Yup, I agree. Didn't particularly care for ASM - got bored halfway through.

I mean Raimi's had some flaws (not enough jokes from Spidey, Maguire's emo-ness, the lack of a high school setting), but I think overall they did a solid job mixing superheroics, teenage drama, and a sympathetic villain in the form of Octavius. Also, it had the cooler costume! Spider-Man 1 is great, but lacks the gravitas of its sequel.

The less said about SM3, the better, probably.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Strider1992

@consolemaster001 said:

SM2>TASM>SM1>SM3

This!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

Well, I actually enjoyed even the first one more than TASM.For me it's like this:

Spider-Man 2>Spider-Man 1>TASM>Spider-Man 3

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Veshark

@TDK_1997 said:

Well, I actually enjoyed even the first one more than TASM.For me it's like this:

Spider-Man 2>Spider-Man 1>TASM>Spider-Man 3

Yeah, I'd say this would be my rankings as well.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Madame_Mist

I agree. But I do believe the first Spider-Man is better than TASM because it felt so cinematic.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Superguy0009e

@Madame_Mist said:

I agree. But I do believe the first Spider-Man is better than TASM because it felt so cinematic.

Spiderman 1 will always be a personal favorite of mine. It perfectly shows the journey of a skinny and flawed

nerd into a caring and thoughtful superhero.

Saying that, Spiderman 2 was the superior film, with greater action, suspense, and a great moral.

All in all, the Raimi trilogy is near perfect (i really dont mind spiderman 3 as much as other people) while ASM has a long way to go to get to the same level.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By PunyParker

Of cource it is....

SpiderMan 2> SpiderMan 1> Amazing SpiderMan> SpiderMan 3.

Razero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Razero

I'm in the minority, I didn't like it at ALL.

The whole losing his powers thing was lame, Doc Ock, who was the best thing about it, didn't get enough screen time, PIS filled fights (Doc Ocks glasses didn't even crack when Spider-Man punched him) And I never liked Maguire as Peter Parker.

Sorry but I think it's overrated.

Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mycroftian

I never really got the Spider-Man 2 hype. It's good, but it's not amazing. Maybe a little better than ASM, but I like the plot threads ASM sets up (Norman Osborn, Gwen Stacy, Burglar) better than the ones the original movie introduced; I would have been a lot happier with the first trilogy's focus on Harry if he had been portrayed by a better actor and not James "Perpetually High as a Kite" Franco. If they manage to balance the (very large) cast for the next movie, I could definitely see it surpassing ASM.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@jloneblackheart said:

Because it's better. The movie isn't driven by one enormous plothole.

WHY DOES OCK WANT TO REBUILD THE BLOODY THING?

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

@comicdude23 said:

I'm sorry but it still is. TASM was good, I enjoyed it - not too sure on Garfield though. But I don't agree that it was better than Spider-Man 2, that movie was brilliant. The acting, emotion, character-development, story-line, etc. It all worked and clicked, still one of the greatest super-hero movies of all time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: LOL.

M_Bison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By M_Bison

@comicdude23 said:

http://youtu.be/1W7c8QghPxk

M_Bison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By M_Bison
    PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman 2> Spiderman 1> Spiderman 3> ASM

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

I also feel like Spider-man 2 was the best film. Toby Maguire just did a much better Peter Parker, and you get that total "dork" vibe from him. Andrew Garfield, didn't really have that going for him. He felt more like a cool kid than a dork, or a wallflower to put it better. Garfield is a better Spider-man, but Maguire was definitely the better Peter Parker.

ZombieMowlcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never liked the 3 Spierman films due to the fact of EVERY VILLIAIN DYING!!!!

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like spider man 2, and I like ASM as well, but they have a different filling and it would be difficult for me to pick one on top of the other.

The only think we can all agree (or at least most of us) is that spiderman 3 is awful

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I agree with this even though I still dislike Kristen dunts performance as Mary Jane I did feel that they did a well job portaying Otto in the movie and just the overall story line where it did feel like the comics where Pete's life starts to get harder for him to manage as a full time spiderman.

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Just nope (it was good though)

Ok, I need to stop bumping old Spider-Man movie threads

AdamAnouer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest I would say it's either Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2 simply for the fact these are the only incarnations of Spider-Man that I consider to be the truest form of Peter Parker we've ever had. The main thing that makes Peter so popular is because of how easy he is to relate to and how he is determined to protect what he cares about. There's trials and hardship for him, MJ, Harry and May throughout all of it and it makes him seem so much braver because of it. Also... train scene.

Of course, none of this would be possible without strong rogues and Willem Defoe's version of Green Goblin is by far the best version of Gobby we've had outside of Spectacular and the 95 animated series because of some reason every incarnation since has gone with Ultimate Spider-Man discount hulk goblin with no malice nor personality. The second movies take on Doc Ock was also so strong that it was at that stage the comics started emulating the movie by making him more sympathetic with an actual reason behind his decent and well fleshed arc.

If I can give credit to Amazing Spider-Man for only 1 thing it's Spider-Man himself making "quips" in the heat of battle and the choreography and cinematography of those fights were gold. His take on Peter Parker though was... just terrible and Emma Stone really didn't add anything that made Gwen Memorable before her unceremonious death. The weakest point though was the villains Connors was just a moron, Green Goblin was some sort of gremlin like creature, Matthew Fox was... nowhere near moody enough to capture electro and Rhino no-one cares about.

As for Tom Holland's Spider-Man, he is an angsty teen who talks fast nothing more and nothing less. It really doesn't help that being Stark's Protogee's he's been robbed of his own scientific ingenuity. I'd say he was a good Spider-Man if his quips weren't simply memes ripped from the internet. As far as his villains go... I don't really mind them as Vulture and Mysterio never had a backstory good enough for me to care about them changing it. As for everyone else, MJ is EdgyMJ, Flash is a VanWilder, Aunt May is... foxy aunt I guess & Ned is comic relief sidekick 1.0. Hopefully the next movie will be Peter Parker but one can only hope.

I should mention the PS4 version of Parker real quick but I'd like to think if ever there was a version people wanted in a film that one would be it. There's a reason fans were irritated by the remaster turning him into a teen again and that's because these games established Pete as an older character who's already gone through crap and who we can all relate to.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.