Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Sony Selling the Rights to Spider-Man: Disney or FOX?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Okay, so Sony is seriously considering selling the movie rights to Spider-Man. While many jumped at the idea that Disney/Marvel would get the rights, no one seems to take into account that FOX may also attempt to buy the rights as well before Disney/Marvel can. Now I for one see either outcome as a good thing. Before I'm ripped to shreds let me explain.

FOX's current superhero properties include X-Men and Fantastic Four, having just sold the rights to Daredevil back to Disney/Marvel. Now, it makes logical sense that they would attempt to get the rights to Spider-Man, not necessarily to it out of trying to keep it out of Disney's hands, but to fill the void left by Daredevil.

Also Spider-Man would be the crucial linchpin to make FOX's idea for a shared X-Men/Fantastic Four universe work. Let me explain how. Fantastic Four don't mesh well with the X-Men, they really don't. Sure they can work together, but the F4's status as celebrity superheroes doesn't fit with a universe where before the only people with superpowers were mutants and they were hated and feared. It's too big a tone difference. However with Spider-Man added to the mix, the tone difference begins to make sense. Here's how I see it playing out should FOX get the rights to Spider-Man and add him to their shared universe.

On the top we have the big famous and well loved superhero team AKA the Fantastic Four. People love them because they're celebrities and because they were normal humans who just happened to gain superpowers. Everyone knows everything about them, what they can do, and know that they're on their side. Maybe even have them government sponsored and endorsed by the government as superheroes to put people at ease.

Then we have Spider-Man in the middle. No one knows who he is because he of course has a secret identity. He's far more of a vigilante than the Fantastic Four are because they deal with really big supervillains like Dr. Doom, the Mole Man, even aliens like the Skrull. Spider-Man gets plenty of bad press, but the number of people that hate him are roughly on par with the number of people who like him. No one knows what to think of him because he could either be a mutant, but because of his secret identity it's also entirely possible he's just another human who gained powers like the Fantastic Four.

And finally we have the X-Men. No one likes them, no one cares about them. All people know is that they're definitely mutants and as a result hate and fear them as per usual.

While I would LOVE to see Spidey in a New Avengers movie with Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Captain America, Spider-Woman, and Dardevil(My dream team for a New Avengers movie), I would easily be just as pleased if FOX got the rights since he could also work very well in their universe as well.

TheFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheFool

I'm not opposed to the logic, for 'cause it doth be sound, yo. But seeing as how different studios pander more towards profit margins than plot, I would rather see Spidey in the hands of Marvel.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I hope Disney will buy them. It'll be awesomehhhh.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.